Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives 10:22 - Aug 17 with 3134 viewscatch74

I can think of one, since his appointment - and it’s something he was very vocal about.
We may well have no loanees this season, we might own our own team!
I’m not saying we couldn’t do with some of the quality we’ve loaned - our stock has fallen slightly! since the heady days of Fraser, Lawrence etc
Lambert needs a flying start.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Positives on 10:26 - Aug 17 with 2988 viewshype313

To play devil's advocate and I'm firmly in the belief that he should have been sacked, but he did do a good job of dragging the club and Marcus from their respective slumbers, engaging with the community, identifying the state of the training ground and Stadium, and being generally positive.

None of that detracts from his performances mind, but it hasn't been completely doom and gloom off the pitch.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 10:28]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Positives on 10:28 - Aug 17 with 2979 viewscatch74

Positives on 10:26 - Aug 17 by hype313

To play devil's advocate and I'm firmly in the belief that he should have been sacked, but he did do a good job of dragging the club and Marcus from their respective slumbers, engaging with the community, identifying the state of the training ground and Stadium, and being generally positive.

None of that detracts from his performances mind, but it hasn't been completely doom and gloom off the pitch.

Clearly just the football he needs to turn his mind to now.

Positives on 10:28 - Aug 17 with 2977 viewshype313

Positives on 10:28 - Aug 17 by catch74

Clearly just the football he needs to turn his mind to now.

Thing that might be a bridge to far!

Positives on 11:44 - Aug 17 with 2876 viewsRobTheMonk

It did make me laugh when he first came in and said something along the lines of there being too many loans... then proceeded to have 6 loans after January.
Positives on 12:05 - Aug 17 with 2838 viewsHipsterectomy

I read a piece in the Athletic about Aston Villa’s bonkers last 10 years or so. The players who played under Lambert really liked him it seems (as was there case at Norwich) and they thought he was a good manager.

One of the players said he then saw him as Blackburn manager and he seemed completely different, devoid of confidence etc.

Can we sue Aston Villa for damaged goods?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Positives on 12:07 - Aug 17 with 2829 viewscatch74

Positives on 12:05 - Aug 17 by Hipsterectomy

I read a piece in the Athletic about Aston Villa’s bonkers last 10 years or so. The players who played under Lambert really liked him it seems (as was there case at Norwich) and they thought he was a good manager.

One of the players said he then saw him as Blackburn manager and he seemed completely different, devoid of confidence etc.

Maybe he’s a confidence manager.

Positives on 12:07 - Aug 17 with 2824 viewsChrisd

Positives on 11:44 - Aug 17 by RobTheMonk

It did make me laugh when he first came in and said something along the lines of there being too many loans... then proceeded to have 6 loans after January.

PL probably said that without really knowing the full extent of dealing with ME regarding finances, he wasn't going to fund too many permanent signings. We needed players in to have any chance of survival and loans provided the best option or would you prefer PL to cut off his nose to spite his face and we didn't do any business during that January transfer window?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Positives on 12:13 - Aug 17 with 2807 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 12:07 - Aug 17 by Chrisd

PL probably said that without really knowing the full extent of dealing with ME regarding finances, he wasn't going to fund too many permanent signings. We needed players in to have any chance of survival and loans provided the best option or would you prefer PL to cut off his nose to spite his face and we didn't do any business during that January transfer window?

He didn't do enough in November and December to keep us in with a shout of staying up. Rather than chucking good money at unfit, highly paid loanees we could have used some of that money towards a permanent signing or two that might have been less flashy but potentially more use to us now in League 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Positives on 12:18 - Aug 17 with 2788 viewsHipsterectomy

Positives on 12:07 - Aug 17 by catch74

I think the no fans will benefit us in a way. The pressure on the players and Lambert for a good start will be high. No fans takes a bit of that pressure away.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Positives on 12:21 - Aug 17 with 2781 viewsChrisd

Positives on 12:13 - Aug 17 by Herbivore

He didn't do enough in November and December to keep us in with a shout of staying up. Rather than chucking good money at unfit, highly paid loanees we could have used some of that money towards a permanent signing or two that might have been less flashy but potentially more use to us now in League 1.

Not just him, but the players too. When Bart was saying the players had already resigned themselves to relegation that is a huge vessel to turn round. ME probably didn't want to invest in any permanent signings with the threat of relegation, so loans were the next best thing. We'd have had fans moaning that we weren't trying to fight relegation if we had signed players in preparation for L1 in January.

Positives on 12:23 - Aug 17 with 2767 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 12:21 - Aug 17 by Chrisd

Not just him, but the players too. When Bart was saying the players had already resigned themselves to relegation that is a huge vessel to turn round. ME probably didn't want to invest in any permanent signings with the threat of relegation, so loans were the next best thing. We'd have had fans moaning that we weren't trying to fight relegation if we had signed players in preparation for L1 in January.

I don't think anyone thought we had any chance of staging up after the Millwall game on the 1st of January. I'd have been fine with a couple of low profile permanent signings to build towards League 1 rather than paying the likes of Bree and Quaner £20k a week for no obvious reason.

Positives on 12:27 - Aug 17 with 2755 viewshaynes_toe1

Whilst you're right, that only happened because a large % of our fanbase had some temporary mindset where it "didn't matter what league we were playing in" etc etc, and anyone who complimented the fanbase was treated as a god. I don't think Lambert done anything special other than realise our fanbase had a weird mentality he could temporarily take advantage of.
Positives on 13:57 - Aug 17 with 2690 viewsPendejo

Confidence trickster, con artist, con man

A con

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Positives on 14:40 - Aug 17 with 2635 viewsBent_double

Well, give it a couple more seasons and you might be right.

Oh, you said, 'confidence' manager...sorry.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Positives on 14:41 - Aug 17 with 2629 viewsitfcjoe

He did, genuninely and that was very important - but how can such a good PR man be saying literally nothing to the press, or even the club, over the last few weeks - has he given up?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Positives on 14:43 - Aug 17 with 2623 viewsitfcjoe

Different people around him?

Positives on 14:45 - Aug 17 with 2619 viewshype313

Positives on 14:41 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

He did, genuninely and that was very important - but how can such a good PR man be saying literally nothing to the press, or even the club, over the last few weeks - has he given up?

I don't know, it's odd, but maybe in part due to the fact that the press aren't allowed at the training ground?

Positives on 14:56 - Aug 17 with 2587 viewsLankHenners

Positives on 14:45 - Aug 17 by hype313

I don't know, it's odd, but maybe in part due to the fact that the press aren't allowed at the training ground?

Very likely plus I suspect the club (and especially the media team) are well aware of the negativity towards Lambert and are (probably sensibly) pushing the players as the face of the club at the moment.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Positives on 15:06 - Aug 17 with 2555 viewsitfcjoe

Positives on 14:56 - Aug 17 by LankHenners

Very likely plus I suspect the club (and especially the media team) are well aware of the negativity towards Lambert and are (probably sensibly) pushing the players as the face of the club at the moment.

Putting Chambers and Skuse forwards isn't exactly ideal though?

Positives on 15:19 - Aug 17 with 2510 viewsLankHenners

Positives on 15:06 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Putting Chambers and Skuse forwards isn't exactly ideal though?

Chambers hasn't been out in front of the camera recently has he? From a quick glance they've had Skuse, Judge and Jackson speaking about xyz. None of them still have the same reaction to a clip of Lambert - most of the comments on the players videos were the same gormless berks banging on about signing someone but with the couple of Lambert from a couple of weeks back was just filled with people yelling at him essentially.

You look at the social media output of other clubs (in our league and above) and they're not really doing much different from us, presumably largely down to lack of media staff about and just not much going on other than to post photos from training sessions and 'on this day' type stuff.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Positives on 15:48 - Aug 17 with 2445 viewsChrisd

Positives on 12:23 - Aug 17 by Herbivore

I don't think anyone thought we had any chance of staging up after the Millwall game on the 1st of January. I'd have been fine with a couple of low profile permanent signings to build towards League 1 rather than paying the likes of Bree and Quaner £20k a week for no obvious reason.

You're generalising there, if you look back at threads during that time there were still many that thought and hoped we could retain our Championship status. The realists among us had already seen the writing on the wall.

Positives on 15:58 - Aug 17 with 2410 viewscatch74

Positives on 14:43 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Different people around him?

I think, from the start that a lot of people were concerned about his record since Norwich...
I

Positives on 16:00 - Aug 17 with 2396 viewsRyorry

Positives on 12:05 - Aug 17 by Hipsterectomy

Interesting, thanks.

Also the point you made above about less pressure with fans absent.

Anyway - now seems like a good time to wipe the slate clean & give PL & team a fresh start. Who knows - the long break may have given him just the time he needed to reflect & come up with new ideas, strategies & plans (which I hope will include ditching rotation ...).
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 16:04]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Positives on 16:02 - Aug 17 with 2391 viewsHerbivore

Positives on 15:48 - Aug 17 by Chrisd

You're generalising there, if you look back at threads during that time there were still many that thought and hoped we could retain our Championship status. The realists among us had already seen the writing on the wall.

Not sure many genuinely believed we could come back from being 10 points adrift with the form we'd been on. Had we been able to sign some real quality on loan we might have had a very slim chance, but one we were moving on to the likes of Keane and Quaner we should really have thought twice about what we were doing with our limited transfer kitty. Looking at the thick end of £1m to sign those two for half a season only, possibly more once all costs are factored in. Just not worth it.

Positives on 16:05 - Aug 17 with 2383 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm not sure why having no loanees is seen as a positive. It's part of the game and even players who are signed 'permanently' can move around every year or two anyway. I've never quite understood why it's such an issue for fans.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024