Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhodes 10:23 - Aug 17 with 4664 viewsStockholmBlue

Could it be that Rhodes is thought of a replacement for Norwood (since there is scottish interest in him)?

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

Rhodes on 10:26 - Aug 17 with 4143 viewshype313

Why would Rhodes go from £40k a week to £2.5k a week?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rhodes on 10:30 - Aug 17 with 4124 viewsStockholmBlue

Rhodes on 10:26 - Aug 17 by hype313

Well 40k was when he was a hot prospect, don´t think anyone would pay that nowadays. Not saying we would be able to match his demands anyway, but if his contract would be settled and we can offer a good promotion bonus - who knows in todays market. There are a lot of players that might not find an employment in the coming season. Perhaps Rhodes feels for our club?

Rhodes on 10:33 - Aug 17 with 4113 viewsclive_baker

I have it on very good authority that Rhodes was really close to coming back here on loan a couple of years ago. In the couple of months before MM left. It was a done deal at the 11th hour on deadline day but something prevented it being tied up and he didn't sign. Of course we were in the Championship then, and not subject to a wage cap, so I'm sure it's much less likely to happen now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rhodes on 10:39 - Aug 17 with 4052 viewshype313

Rhodes on 10:30 - Aug 17 by StockholmBlue

Well 40k was when he was a hot prospect, don´t think anyone would pay that nowadays. Not saying we would be able to match his demands anyway, but if his contract would be settled and we can offer a good promotion bonus - who knows in todays market. There are a lot of players that might not find an employment in the coming season. Perhaps Rhodes feels for our club?

If Wednesday pay him up, there will be a number of Championship clubs after him, and even with a 50% haircut he would still be able to earn vastly more than he would here, he might even earn the same salary if one of the relegated clubs decide to take a punt.

Rhodes on 10:39 - Aug 17 with 4051 viewsStockholmBlue

Rhodes on 10:33 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

I have it on very good authority that Rhodes was really close to coming back here on loan a couple of years ago. In the couple of months before MM left. It was a done deal at the 11th hour on deadline day but something prevented it being tied up and he didn't sign. Of course we were in the Championship then, and not subject to a wage cap, so I'm sure it's much less likely to happen now.

I am not saying this is likely or saying i have any form of information about this. Just trying to understand where this rumour is coming from, and was perhaps hoping someone would know a little about this. It would be nice to have a proper poacher in the team though!

Rhodes on 10:47 - Aug 17 with 3997 viewsclive_baker

Rhodes on 10:39 - Aug 17 by StockholmBlue

I am not saying this is likely or saying i have any form of information about this. Just trying to understand where this rumour is coming from, and was perhaps hoping someone would know a little about this. It would be nice to have a proper poacher in the team though!

I imagine its just a bit of lazy press speculation given he's not fancied at Sheff Wed. I'm guessing completely but I don't see why Sheffield Wednesday would pay up his contract, there doesn't seem to be much in it for them, especially when you would think there will be a Championship side that would take a punt on loan and at least cover half his wages or something. If (big IF) we go up this season, I could see him coming back then on a free, depending on what he does in the meantime of course.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rhodes on 11:00 - Aug 17 with 3910 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I wouldn't read too much into the Scottish interest.

Remember when Aberdeen couldn't beat Salford on wages? That was for about 4k per week.

I doubt the club's who are interested in Norwood will be able to match his current wage.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rhodes on 11:02 - Aug 17 with 3887 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think anyone expects him to do that.

The only way it would work is a big loan fee I would think, and a small contribution to wages.

Not saying it's going to happen, but no one is expecting him to give up money.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Rhodes on 11:04 - Aug 17 with 3874 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhodes on 10:39 - Aug 17 by hype313

If Wednesday pay him up, there will be a number of Championship clubs after him, and even with a 50% haircut he would still be able to earn vastly more than he would here, he might even earn the same salary if one of the relegated clubs decide to take a punt.

I agree that a champ club would take him on a free, but I doubt he is that highly rated in the Champ anymore, so would likely be a bottom half team offering him 10k per week.

Can't see him getting a 20k+ per week contract again.

Rhodes on 11:10 - Aug 17 with 3826 viewstractorboy1978

Rhodes on 10:47 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

I imagine its just a bit of lazy press speculation given he's not fancied at Sheff Wed. I'm guessing completely but I don't see why Sheffield Wednesday would pay up his contract, there doesn't seem to be much in it for them, especially when you would think there will be a Championship side that would take a punt on loan and at least cover half his wages or something. If (big IF) we go up this season, I could see him coming back then on a free, depending on what he does in the meantime of course.

There is definitely something in it but I doubt logistically it will happen.
Rhodes on 11:11 - Aug 17 with 3826 viewsWallingford_Boy

Not that much hair left to cut!

RIP Sir Bobby

Rhodes on 11:12 - Aug 17 with 3814 viewspointofblue

Didn’t we sound out the prospect of Connor Wickham returning on loan in January? I’m not sure if this club has a grip of football finances and what is affordable so it’s possible we did approach Wednesday over Rhodes, only to be understandably rebuffed.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 11:21]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rhodes on 11:14 - Aug 17 with 3779 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Rhodes on 11:11 - Aug 17 by Wallingford_Boy

Not that much hair left to cut!

Looks a bit likes he's had a hair transplant.

Logistically.....? on 11:16 - Aug 17 with 3759 viewsBloots

Rhodes on 11:10 - Aug 17 by tractorboy1978

There is definitely something in it but I doubt logistically it will happen.

....I think you mean financially.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Logistically.....? on 11:21 - Aug 17 with 3713 viewstractorboy1978

Logistically.....? on 11:16 - Aug 17 by Bloots

....I think you mean financially.

And with size of the squad, strikers we have and trying to re-shuffle.
Rhodes on 11:27 - Aug 17 with 3688 viewsBlueBlood90

Would anyone actually want him back? I certainly wouldn't.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Rhodes on 11:29 - Aug 17 with 3678 viewshype313

Rhodes on 11:27 - Aug 17 by BlueBlood90

His record since Blackburn (4 years ago) is underwhleming to say the least.

Let's be honest, if he wasn't a local youth player, we wouldn't even be entertaining the idea.

Rhodes on 11:30 - Aug 17 with 3660 viewsportmanking

Not for me.

The way we seem to want to play doesn't suit an out-and-out poacher. We need all-action forwards that press and harry defenders.
Rhodes on 11:38 - Aug 17 with 3609 viewsBloomBlue

No I wouldn't. Maybe it's just lack of confidence but something has happened to him if you look at his record over the last 4 seasons. If we were looking at any other 30 year striker with his recent record and it wasn't Rhodes the vast majority of fans would be complaining
Rhodes on 12:40 - Aug 17 with 3421 viewsRadlett_blue

While this is irrelevant, the fact that Rhodes was eligible to play for Scotland purely because he spent 5 years at school there is absurd.
We couldn't afford 10% of the wages he would want anyway.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Rhodes on 12:42 - Aug 17 with 3406 viewsLibero

Rhodes on 12:40 - Aug 17 by Radlett_blue

While this is irrelevant, the fact that Rhodes was eligible to play for Scotland purely because he spent 5 years at school there is absurd.
We couldn't afford 10% of the wages he would want anyway.

What's worse is that the Scottish FA were desperate enough to say hell to the integrity of their team and go with it.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 12:43]
Rhodes on 13:40 - Aug 17 with 3206 viewsJimmyJazz

I'm not convinced a Championship club would want him, even on a free transfer. His record over the last 4 years is poor, at a number of different clubs / loans, so it's not like a problem at Sheff Wed only

He is a player the salary cap may badly impact, no longer rated in the Championship but unaffordable for L1, unless he massively drops his wage expectations. There is no way he'll command anywhere near 40K (or even 20K) again

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Rhodes on 13:53 - Aug 17 with 3137 viewsLibero

Rhodes on 13:40 - Aug 17 by JimmyJazz

I'm not convinced a Championship club would want him, even on a free transfer. His record over the last 4 years is poor, at a number of different clubs / loans, so it's not like a problem at Sheff Wed only

He is a player the salary cap may badly impact, no longer rated in the Championship but unaffordable for L1, unless he massively drops his wage expectations. There is no way he'll command anywhere near 40K (or even 20K) again

While he's clearly not the hot prospect he was when he left Huddersfield and Blackburn, I think a lot of people are putting down what is clearly an exceptional goal scoring talent.

Give him a run in the side and he produces goals, his ratio is still very strong!
441 League appearances, 189 goals is still nearly a goal every other game, not bad at all considering that he's been a bit part player in various squads since 2015-16.

If we had a player of his quality at League One level we'd be laughing.

Alas, it's clearly just b0llocks, there's no way we can afford him and even if we could we've just told his mate Tommy to f*ck off to Colchester, which isn't exactly going to play well...
Rhodes on 13:55 - Aug 17 with 3113 viewsRadlett_blue

Rhodes on 13:40 - Aug 17 by JimmyJazz

In the last 4 seasons he's scored only 23 goals in 125 games. I think plenty of Championship clubs would still want him on a free & while there is no wage cap, he won't get anything like what he was on. Still likely to get £10k a week or so.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Rhodes on 15:33 - Aug 17 with 2941 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rhodes on 13:55 - Aug 17 by Radlett_blue

In the last 4 seasons he's scored only 23 goals in 125 games. I think plenty of Championship clubs would still want him on a free & while there is no wage cap, he won't get anything like what he was on. Still likely to get £10k a week or so.

Will Keane's only scored 15 goals in his whole 9 year senior career.

I know it' not that relevant, but I do like pointing out what an utterly pointless striker he was/is.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024