Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pint prices 12:06 - Aug 18 with 4874 viewsRobTheMonk

Myself and Madge went out for a bite to eat the other day. Generally pints are quite expensive round here but £5.50 for a pint of Red Stripe or Estella seems rather steep - local pub. It's made me not overly fussed to head back, when for a tenner I can get 4-5 bottles of nice Czech lager.

I guess it's a gamble of higher price but lower footflow vs lower price but more footflow, and with less footflow prices have been raised. Have anyone else noticed an increase?
Pint prices on 12:09 - Aug 18 with 3403 viewsSitfcB

£6.10 for a pint of Peroni in the Station Hotel in....Ipswich!!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Pint prices on 12:16 - Aug 18 with 3383 viewshype313

It's ridiculous the price of a pint to be honest, one thing lockdown has done is highlight the discrepancy between the cost of a pint and a case of beer from the Supermarket or online beer clubs.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Pint prices on 12:23 - Aug 18 with 3345 viewsIllinoisblue

Pint prices on 12:09 - Aug 18 by SitfcB

Facking hell! $8.99 for six bottles from the supermarket here.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Pint prices on 12:25 - Aug 18 with 3329 viewsdavblue

That's more expensive than a bar in Central London where I work, crazy.
Pint prices on 12:29 - Aug 18 with 3310 viewsLibero

That's f*cking criminal.
Pint prices on 12:55 - Aug 18 with 3239 viewsBluefish

mental! Surely no one buys it? I'm not one for checking prices of pints or caring but that is ridiculous.

The cost of beer hasn't really changed since the days of £2 per pint. The wastage has no doubt gone up, as well as other costs but that is scandalous

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pint prices on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 3229 viewsParky

Pint prices on 12:55 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

mental! Surely no one buys it? I'm not one for checking prices of pints or caring but that is ridiculous.

The cost of beer hasn't really changed since the days of £2 per pint. The wastage has no doubt gone up, as well as other costs but that is scandalous

I bloody did buy it when I was in there the other week, I just tapped my card and didn’t really pay any notice to how much it was, just assuming it was about normal.

4 pints later, saw it on the til and realised I’d just paid just shy of £25 for 4 pints.

Lessons learned.
Pint prices on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 3227 viewsfloridablue

Serious question......do they expect a tip as well? So long since I've been in the UK I'm wondering if it's become more like across the pond. Here, it's expected at least a dollar a drink tip and US pints are less! My local Walmart sells a 12 pack of Becks 12oz bottles for around $13 which would cost around $4 or $5 each in a bar.
Login to get fewer ads

Pint prices on 13:02 - Aug 18 with 3218 viewsTIB

The price of a pint is something I think a lot of folk have picked up on since returning to the pubs as many have spent the pandemic ordering in bottles with their supermarket shop and the price difference is now very visible.

I'm in the midst of restructuring Away Days to offer mini kegs to order directly from my website as well as bottle boxsets as for me it's the way forwards, especially with talk of second waves etc. I'm still going to be selling cask to pubs but this has hit a lot of them for six and with more and more tied into breweries, it's a tough old one finding new outlets.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Pint prices on 13:05 - Aug 18 with 3204 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 13:02 - Aug 18 by TIB

The price of a pint is something I think a lot of folk have picked up on since returning to the pubs as many have spent the pandemic ordering in bottles with their supermarket shop and the price difference is now very visible.

I'm in the midst of restructuring Away Days to offer mini kegs to order directly from my website as well as bottle boxsets as for me it's the way forwards, especially with talk of second waves etc. I'm still going to be selling cask to pubs but this has hit a lot of them for six and with more and more tied into breweries, it's a tough old one finding new outlets.

#announcetheminikeg
Pint prices on 13:10 - Aug 18 with 3179 viewshoppy

How much was proper grown up beer in there?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Pint prices on 13:13 - Aug 18 with 3160 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 12:59 - Aug 18 by floridablue

Serious question......do they expect a tip as well? So long since I've been in the UK I'm wondering if it's become more like across the pond. Here, it's expected at least a dollar a drink tip and US pints are less! My local Walmart sells a 12 pack of Becks 12oz bottles for around $13 which would cost around $4 or $5 each in a bar.

In my 17 years drinking in pubs I have never tipped anyone working behind the bar.

I also resent tipping at restaurants, have at me TWTD.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2020 13:14]
Pint prices on 13:17 - Aug 18 with 3139 viewsBluefish

Pint prices on 13:13 - Aug 18 by Libero

In my 17 years drinking in pubs I have never tipped anyone working behind the bar.

I also resent tipping at restaurants, have at me TWTD.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2020 13:14]

You have never bought the bar person a drink?

Pint prices on 13:18 - Aug 18 with 3136 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 13:17 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

You have never bought the bar person a drink?

No f*cking chance.

Also, to add to that, I've worked behind the bar before in my late teens/early twenties, still don't think tipping is appropriate, I await your wrath TWTD.
Pint prices on 13:21 - Aug 18 with 3128 viewsTIB

Pint prices on 13:05 - Aug 18 by Libero

#announcetheminikeg

All the cogs are very slowly aligning!!!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Pint prices on 13:21 - Aug 18 with 3121 viewsBluefish

Pint prices on 13:18 - Aug 18 by Libero

No f*cking chance.

Also, to add to that, I've worked behind the bar before in my late teens/early twenties, still don't think tipping is appropriate, I await your wrath TWTD.

have you ever had a local? A pub where people go every day without knowing if anyone else is there? Growing up my old local was like that, the Landlord and land lady were part of the family and you always offered them a drink, being top owners they just added a pound to the bill for their drink

Pint prices on 13:22 - Aug 18 with 3121 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 13:21 - Aug 18 by TIB

All the cogs are very slowly aligning!!!

Here's one for ya mate, I posted about the TSI kidnapping today...

Best Ever Wind Up. by StochesStotasBlewe 5 Aug 2020 13:19
Just read about Libby’s Uncle Dave on the food offerings thread, gave me a chuckle and wondered what was the best wind up folk on here have had played on them.
When I became a self employed gardener, had been going for about 6 months when I received a call on a withheld number. The gentleman on the other end spoke with an Irish accent and asked if I would come to tend his large garden in the house he had recently moved into. I said I would like to come over to give him a price and asked for his name and address. Roy Keane near Woodbridge was the response. Said he would ring with sat nav details and suitable time later in the week. Feeling a bit smug, I eagerly waited for the call which came a few days later, and details were duly noted. Day in question came and off I set, only to arrive at Melton lakes car park, and a waiting committee of the missus and her family, one of whom had a bit of a talent for impersonating accents.

I look back now and think thank God it was a wind up.

Pint prices on 13:31 - Aug 18 with 3080 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 13:21 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

have you ever had a local? A pub where people go every day without knowing if anyone else is there? Growing up my old local was like that, the Landlord and land lady were part of the family and you always offered them a drink, being top owners they just added a pound to the bill for their drink

Aye, I've a couple of regular haunts in Stow, know a few of the barmen/women quite well, but I'll be f*cked if I'm going to waste my money by buying them a drink while they're working.

If I saw them out and about and we were chatting I dare say I'd get them a drink, as I would most people I know.

Something about the idea of tipping really turns me off.
Pint prices on 14:05 - Aug 18 with 2990 viewsRadlett_blue

Pint prices on 12:55 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

Lager has a long life in a barrel, unlike real ale. It's also cheaper to make. The premium price paid for draught lager over bitter makes no sense, but why would pubs cut prices?
My dad says that the premium price for lager dates back to the 1950s, when there was no draught lager in the UK. Then, bottled beer was seen as a superior product to draught e.g. a bottle of Bass cost more than ordinary draught bitter so pubs naturally initially sold bottled lager at a premium price. And so when draught lager arrived, they got a premium, probably also based on novelty value & marketing spend.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Pint prices on 14:10 - Aug 18 with 2984 viewsSwansea_Blue

To be fair, you pay extra there for the ambience.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pint prices on 14:15 - Aug 18 with 2966 viewshype313

Pint prices on 14:10 - Aug 18 by Swansea_Blue

To be fair, you pay extra there for the ambience.

And the views overlooking the stunning river littered with shopping trolleys and body parts.

Pint prices on 14:29 - Aug 18 with 2935 viewscressi

Pint prices on 14:15 - Aug 18 by hype313

And the views overlooking the stunning river littered with shopping trolleys and body parts.

Tavern Sudbury
Pint of
Carlsberg £2.20
Strongbow £2.50
Pint prices on 14:31 - Aug 18 with 2931 viewsLibero

Pint prices on 14:29 - Aug 18 by cressi

Tavern Sudbury
Pint of
Carlsberg £2.20
Strongbow £2.50

'ow much iz a hooch m8?
Pint prices on 14:33 - Aug 18 with 2928 viewshype313

Pint prices on 14:29 - Aug 18 by cressi

Tavern Sudbury
Pint of
Carlsberg £2.20
Strongbow £2.50

Yeah, but that means having to go to Sudbury, they have to entice people somehow....

Pint prices on 14:51 - Aug 18 with 2895 viewsfactual_blue

Pint prices on 13:02 - Aug 18 by TIB

I got the inside track on 'Spoons pricing strategy the other day.

They no longer operate on short-dated beer. They offer to buy vast quantities at a price a brewery would normally not entertain. 'Spoons won't negotiate on their offer. After initial resistance the breweries see the attraction for them - greatly increased sales and national exposure of their brand.

'Spoons now have an office in many breweries (including Greene King). In fact the Westgate Brewery in Bury regularly does an entire production run just for 'Spoons.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024