Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So - Tommy Smith? 12:24 - Aug 19 with 6890 viewsFixed_It

From what I've read he didn't do himself any favours last night. A towering performance and there were 2 managers to impress, as he could have caught PL's eye. Shame, because I really liked him.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

So - Tommy Smith? on 12:27 - Aug 19 with 3114 viewsLibero

Months without a game will mean you're rusty. I'd still take him here, no question.
So - Tommy Smith? on 12:27 - Aug 19 with 3115 viewsHerbivore

The truth is we don't really know how much he has left. At the time he left us he was no longer first choice and was coming off a couple of bad years with back injuries (possibly knee as well?). We don't really know how much those injuries have taken out of him or how he's done in the couple of years since he left. He's not played tons of football in that time. If we were signing a 2015 version of Tommy Smith we'd all be all over it, but I'd be amazed if he's still that player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:08 - Aug 19 with 2980 viewsBrixtonBlue

So - Tommy Smith? on 12:27 - Aug 19 by Libero

Months without a game will mean you're rusty. I'd still take him here, no question.

Our entire squad has been months without a game, but they seemed to do alright.

You might have to accept Tommy Smith isn't the player he once was.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:12 - Aug 19 with 2955 viewsuefacup81

I don't get the massive circlej*rk going on with certain sections of our support regarding how we must get Tommy back at all costs.

Taking off the blue-tinted specs, I wonder what the general reaction of the board would be if we were linked with another CB who'd come back from the US and then been let go by Sunderland. Who was now a free agent and, seemingly, the highest level of interest he'd had was from Colchester.

If his name didn't happen to be Tommy Smith, I dare say there'd be an absolute blub-fest if we signed someone else fitting those criteria.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:15 - Aug 19 with 2927 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:08 - Aug 19 by BrixtonBlue

Our entire squad has been months without a game, but they seemed to do alright.

You might have to accept Tommy Smith isn't the player he once was.

No mate, you misunderstand me. Tommy hasn't played a game since November 2019...
So - Tommy Smith? on 13:16 - Aug 19 with 2912 viewsBrixtonBlue

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:15 - Aug 19 by Libero

No mate, you misunderstand me. Tommy hasn't played a game since November 2019...

Really?! Blimey, how come?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:17 - Aug 19 with 2908 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:12 - Aug 19 by uefacup81

I don't get the massive circlej*rk going on with certain sections of our support regarding how we must get Tommy back at all costs.

Taking off the blue-tinted specs, I wonder what the general reaction of the board would be if we were linked with another CB who'd come back from the US and then been let go by Sunderland. Who was now a free agent and, seemingly, the highest level of interest he'd had was from Colchester.

If his name didn't happen to be Tommy Smith, I dare say there'd be an absolute blub-fest if we signed someone else fitting those criteria.

Given that he has hardly played at a decent level for c.3 years, and didnt even manage to play for his last club.... if he wasnt ex Ipswich I think most fans would be deriding any links to him joining us.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:20 - Aug 19 with 2895 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:16 - Aug 19 by BrixtonBlue

Really?! Blimey, how come?

U.S season doesn't run concurrently to the UK season, I believe he was also carrying an knock. When he returned to the UK he trained with the youths here to keep up to speed while he looked for a club, but no offers that looked particularly appealing came forwards, he was then offered the short term deal at promotion chasing Sunderland but never made an appearance, due to Covid stopping all football for the length of his contract.
As I understand it, Sunderland was only ever going to be a short term move to get things rolling again, he always planned to be located closer to home for their first born.
Login to get fewer ads

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:23 - Aug 19 with 2866 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:17 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Given that he has hardly played at a decent level for c.3 years, and didnt even manage to play for his last club.... if he wasnt ex Ipswich I think most fans would be deriding any links to him joining us.

Signed for Sunderland on 21st Feb, all games suspended 19th March...
3 weeks isn't long for a player that hadn't played in 3 months to get fit, it was just a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Here are the games he technically could have played in, one being the day after he signed, obviously never going to happen due to his lack of fitness.

FEB
Sat 22 Feb Bristol Rovers H
Sat 29 Feb Coventry City A

MARCH
Sat 7 Mar Gillingham H
Sat 14 Mar Blackpool A
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 13:25]
So - Tommy Smith? on 13:24 - Aug 19 with 2853 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:23 - Aug 19 by Libero

Signed for Sunderland on 21st Feb, all games suspended 19th March...
3 weeks isn't long for a player that hadn't played in 3 months to get fit, it was just a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Here are the games he technically could have played in, one being the day after he signed, obviously never going to happen due to his lack of fitness.

FEB
Sat 22 Feb Bristol Rovers H
Sat 29 Feb Coventry City A

MARCH
Sat 7 Mar Gillingham H
Sat 14 Mar Blackpool A
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 13:25]

Apologies, I thought he signed for them in Jan.

To be fair I was playing devils advocate a little. I would take him back, but thats because Im a big softie and love a sentimental signing!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:27 - Aug 19 with 2814 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:24 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Apologies, I thought he signed for them in Jan.

To be fair I was playing devils advocate a little. I would take him back, but thats because Im a big softie and love a sentimental signing!!

Softie or not, it's a great opportunity to sign an experienced centre half with international and Championship experience.

I understand the question marks around why he hasn't played much recently, but having seen him play in the MLS I can assure supporters that when match fit he's the same Tommy Smith he was for us previously.

It just seems crazy to me that we're not offering anything, he wants to stay in the area, we're the best club in the area and he's a significant step up on the likes of Nsiala, Donacien, Wilson and maybe even Chambers these days!
So - Tommy Smith? on 13:29 - Aug 19 with 2799 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:27 - Aug 19 by Libero

Softie or not, it's a great opportunity to sign an experienced centre half with international and Championship experience.

I understand the question marks around why he hasn't played much recently, but having seen him play in the MLS I can assure supporters that when match fit he's the same Tommy Smith he was for us previously.

It just seems crazy to me that we're not offering anything, he wants to stay in the area, we're the best club in the area and he's a significant step up on the likes of Nsiala, Donacien, Wilson and maybe even Chambers these days!

Also, some people say he was off the pace when he left us...

.....but for balance we should also mention that was in the Championship and not League 1.

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:31 - Aug 19 with 2788 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:29 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Also, some people say he was off the pace when he left us...

.....but for balance we should also mention that was in the Championship and not League 1.

I can't actually remember the exact situation, but I think he was struggling with a back injury at the time? Someone else will be able to clear that up.

He's a solid 7/10 defender that you can hang your hat on, at this level when fully fit I'd expect him to boss games.

It's cool that some people aren't keen on him returning, but if he was a different play with the same attributes, experience and pedigree we would be overjoyed to sign him.
So - Tommy Smith? on 13:33 - Aug 19 with 2778 viewsuefacup81

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:27 - Aug 19 by Libero

If he's that good a player still, then why hasn't he had any offers from teams better than Colchester?

Even if he's wanting to stay local, there are a fair few clubs at the lower end of the Championship and in League One that would be realistic options for him.

Would you still be hell-bent on signing a player with his recent history if his name didn't happen to be Tommy Smith?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:38 - Aug 19 with 2754 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:33 - Aug 19 by uefacup81

If he's that good a player still, then why hasn't he had any offers from teams better than Colchester?

Even if he's wanting to stay local, there are a fair few clubs at the lower end of the Championship and in League One that would be realistic options for him.

Would you still be hell-bent on signing a player with his recent history if his name didn't happen to be Tommy Smith?

Who's to say he hasn't? His last contract was with a club that would be considered rivals for promotion at this level.

Smith wants to stay local for personal reasons, for all we know he might have been offered a deal at another decent League One club, but he's not going to take it if it's not within X distance.

As I just said in my last post to MM, yes.
If we signed a 30 year old, experienced international centre back who has played nearly 250 Championship games most supporters would be over the moon.
So - Tommy Smith? on 13:39 - Aug 19 with 2732 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:33 - Aug 19 by uefacup81

Should never base a decision based on guessing what other clubs may or may not have done / offered.

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:41 - Aug 19 with 2728 viewshype313

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:38 - Aug 19 by Libero

Who's to say he hasn't? His last contract was with a club that would be considered rivals for promotion at this level.

Smith wants to stay local for personal reasons, for all we know he might have been offered a deal at another decent League One club, but he's not going to take it if it's not within X distance.

As I just said in my last post to MM, yes.
If we signed a 30 year old, experienced international centre back who has played nearly 250 Championship games most supporters would be over the moon.

Especially given we have Nsiala here, can't understand why we wouldn't have Tommy over and above him.

He also clearly want's to stay Local as his wife is expecting, so he could have quite conceivably been offered something by Preston or Sheff Wed but decided location is far more important.

Seems like a complete no brainer to me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:05 - Aug 19 with 2650 viewsGeoffSentence

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:31 - Aug 19 by Libero

I can't actually remember the exact situation, but I think he was struggling with a back injury at the time? Someone else will be able to clear that up.

He's a solid 7/10 defender that you can hang your hat on, at this level when fully fit I'd expect him to boss games.

It's cool that some people aren't keen on him returning, but if he was a different play with the same attributes, experience and pedigree we would be overjoyed to sign him.

I like Tommy Smith and thought there was a section of Town support that was unduly hard on him whislt he was here. But he has a history of injury problems and we have had too many crocks playing too few games for us in recent years.

For that reason, I'm out.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:06 - Aug 19 with 2638 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:05 - Aug 19 by GeoffSentence

I like Tommy Smith and thought there was a section of Town support that was unduly hard on him whislt he was here. But he has a history of injury problems and we have had too many crocks playing too few games for us in recent years.

For that reason, I'm out.

He played 60 games in 2 seasons in the MLS.

Ive just seen that hes only 30. I thought he was about 53.

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:08 - Aug 19 with 2626 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:06 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

He played 60 games in 2 seasons in the MLS.

Ive just seen that hes only 30. I thought he was about 53.

Yup, that's out of a potential 68 games, very respectable.
So - Tommy Smith? on 14:10 - Aug 19 with 2608 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:08 - Aug 19 by Libero

Yup, that's out of a potential 68 games, very respectable.

Maybe leaving ITFC was the rehab he needed to get him back on track.... a la Webster and Didzy.

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:10 - Aug 19 with 2608 viewsBrixtonBlue

So - Tommy Smith? on 13:20 - Aug 19 by Libero

U.S season doesn't run concurrently to the UK season, I believe he was also carrying an knock. When he returned to the UK he trained with the youths here to keep up to speed while he looked for a club, but no offers that looked particularly appealing came forwards, he was then offered the short term deal at promotion chasing Sunderland but never made an appearance, due to Covid stopping all football for the length of his contract.
As I understand it, Sunderland was only ever going to be a short term move to get things rolling again, he always planned to be located closer to home for their first born.

The question is, would Lambert have seen any of his performances in the US?

I'm not against it, but I don't really feel I have enough to go on to say yes we should definitely get him.

Same with, and this might surprise some people, Rhodes. I have no idea what he's like these days, and if they weren't ex Ipswich players I suspect they wouldn't really have crossed most people's minds.

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:13 - Aug 19 with 2597 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:10 - Aug 19 by BrixtonBlue

The question is, would Lambert have seen any of his performances in the US?

I'm not against it, but I don't really feel I have enough to go on to say yes we should definitely get him.

Same with, and this might surprise some people, Rhodes. I have no idea what he's like these days, and if they weren't ex Ipswich players I suspect they wouldn't really have crossed most people's minds.

Someone said that Joe shared on Twitter that there is hesitancy on Lambert's part due to Smith's friendship with Skuse and Chambers.
I'm just repeating what was a paraphrase of a tweet, so maybe Joe can clarify on that?

If that is the case that's pathetic in my book, shows just how little control the man has and how poor his man management must be.
Re:Rhodes, Smith is good friends with Jordan too, although I'm pretty sure the Rhodes link was pure paper talk.
So - Tommy Smith? on 14:15 - Aug 19 with 2585 viewsLibero

So - Tommy Smith? on 14:10 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Maybe leaving ITFC was the rehab he needed to get him back on track.... a la Webster and Didzy.

I have to say, although I acknowledge that Smith pick up the odd injury, I don't recognise this picture some people paint of him being a crock.
Issues with his back over his final two seasons here, he was regularly hitting 40 appearances a season.
So - Tommy Smith? on 14:23 - Aug 19 with 2554 viewsrickw

Maybe we will go for him if we can shift players like Nsiala, Donacien and Wilson, but unless we're actively offering them around I can't see it happening

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024