Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walkies. 07:38 - Aug 21 with 2917 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Germany proposing a law to make it compulsory for dog owners to walk their pooches for at least 2 hrs a day.
Depends on the age and breed of the dog, surely.
Thoughts fellow dog owners.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Walkies. on 07:53 - Aug 21 with 2363 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Germans do love exercising with animals don’t they?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Walkies. on 08:38 - Aug 21 with 2275 viewsPendejo

1 hour in total but at least 2 walks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53839286

Also covers dogs being left home alone, there could be an unintended consequence where all of a sudden dogs are abandoned if owners can't comply with this rule.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Walkies. on 08:39 - Aug 21 with 2272 viewsITFC_Forever

Our cockapoo gets that each day near enough already (although not all in one go!)

1 hour round the park and 2-3 x 20 or 30 minute walks on the lead around the roads.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Walkies. on 08:52 - Aug 21 with 2245 viewsFixed_It

One size fits all legislation is not a good idea. My dogs get about 2 hours per day, but it wouldn't be appropriate for some breeds, puppies, elderly/ill dogs etc. It also wouldn't be possible for some elderly/physically challenged people who benefit from dog ownership and companionship.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Walkies. on 08:54 - Aug 21 with 2240 viewsFtnfwest

Our Cocker gets 2 walks totaling a minimum of 1.5 hours, but then at weekends we'll go further in the mornings usually so he gets more like 2 hours overall across 2 walks. But there's plenty of other breeds who probably don't need anything like that.
Walkies. on 08:56 - Aug 21 with 2225 viewsDanTheMan

Walkies. on 08:52 - Aug 21 by Fixed_It

One size fits all legislation is not a good idea. My dogs get about 2 hours per day, but it wouldn't be appropriate for some breeds, puppies, elderly/ill dogs etc. It also wouldn't be possible for some elderly/physically challenged people who benefit from dog ownership and companionship.

Agreed. I think the general idea of it is a good one, if you're getting an animal you should look after it appropriately, but blanket stuff like this is asking for trouble.

Most obvious example is a dog with arthritis, really bad idea to exercise them with constant walking. They usually need hydrotherapy.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Walkies. on 08:59 - Aug 21 with 2222 viewsellerblue

I am a dog owner and live in Germany, the proposed law covers daily exercise, leaving dogs unattended in house, puppy farms and number of litters per dog. In 2005 as a result of a child being bitten all dogs have to be registered with the local stadt, in our case it costs 110 euros per annum for a registration disc plus if your dog is over a certain height or weight you have to attend a course and sit an exam at a nominated vets this costs 65 euros. The majority of dog ownrers live in apartments and tend to have small ankle nippers and are elderly the concept of paying dog walkers over here is not great. This law if passed will be handed down to each state to interpret and enforce, good in theory but totally unworkable, who checks and enforces the law ? I walk ibo 3 times a day which is fine he is only 4 years but we see oap walking elderly dogs and they can only manage 10 to 20 minutes at a push. In the end it is another unbelievable german law regarding the walking element all the rest is good. The Germans love a law example the bakeries are allowed to open sunday morning but you cannot buy a cake or a loaf of bread only bread rolls dont understand it.

Heinsberg Blue

Walkies. on 09:22 - Aug 21 with 2164 viewsBloomBlue

Walkies. on 08:59 - Aug 21 by ellerblue

I am a dog owner and live in Germany, the proposed law covers daily exercise, leaving dogs unattended in house, puppy farms and number of litters per dog. In 2005 as a result of a child being bitten all dogs have to be registered with the local stadt, in our case it costs 110 euros per annum for a registration disc plus if your dog is over a certain height or weight you have to attend a course and sit an exam at a nominated vets this costs 65 euros. The majority of dog ownrers live in apartments and tend to have small ankle nippers and are elderly the concept of paying dog walkers over here is not great. This law if passed will be handed down to each state to interpret and enforce, good in theory but totally unworkable, who checks and enforces the law ? I walk ibo 3 times a day which is fine he is only 4 years but we see oap walking elderly dogs and they can only manage 10 to 20 minutes at a push. In the end it is another unbelievable german law regarding the walking element all the rest is good. The Germans love a law example the bakeries are allowed to open sunday morning but you cannot buy a cake or a loaf of bread only bread rolls dont understand it.

Wow imagine the outcry in this Country if people we forced to pay per year to own a dog and take an exam if the dog was over a certain size. However I think that should happen here the mistreatment of dogs by some people is terrible even the basic of walking a dog and controlling them
Login to get fewer ads

Walkies. on 09:25 - Aug 21 with 2138 viewshampstead_blue

Cats.

That's the answer. Our Storm chases the rabbit's around and then comes and sits next to us.
He's just here now......He'll go for a stroll in a bit. Have a sleep. Go for a stroll, play with his mate (a kitten from just down the road). Have supper. Sleep.

At no point do we need to walk him.

Cats. I give you cats.

P.S: They even dump in other people's gardens!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Walkies. on 09:26 - Aug 21 with 2151 viewsRadlett_blue

The Germans have always loved rules. If you want to play golf, you have to take lessons from a professional & get a certificate of competence before you are allowed to play on an actual golf course.
The principle is sound - some people get a dog without considering whether they have the time or inclination to exercise it properly so the principle is sound. It seems pretty much unenforceable though & I suspect this may be a back door means of bringing owners who maltreat animals to book.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Walkies. on 10:10 - Aug 21 with 2100 viewsOldsmoker

If it happened in the UK I would Google "Dog Walking companies owned by Tory MPs family members/Tory donors".

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Walkies. on 10:30 - Aug 21 with 2056 viewsellerblue

Walkies. on 09:22 - Aug 21 by BloomBlue

Wow imagine the outcry in this Country if people we forced to pay per year to own a dog and take an exam if the dog was over a certain size. However I think that should happen here the mistreatment of dogs by some people is terrible even the basic of walking a dog and controlling them

But the law regarding size/weight falls flat. In Germany when you move house you have 14 days to register your new address with the stadt, so of we go to stadthalle register ourselves at new address and recieve the paperwork, we are then asked do you have a dog answer yes, off to another dept fill in paperwork re breed etc get the bill for 110 euros, a few days later reeive a call we want to come and measure the dog , ok woman with assistant come to our house with measuring stick, sorry he is 2cm over the limit certificate required, frau makes an appointment at vets watches films etc and takes exam passes get certificate, asks does this mean only i can walk the dog? Answer no any one from the household can walk him!! but they havent done the exam reply does not matter as long as their is a certificate for the dog. Now make sense of that

Heinsberg Blue

Walkies. on 10:37 - Aug 21 with 2039 viewsellerblue

Walkies. on 10:30 - Aug 21 by ellerblue

But the law regarding size/weight falls flat. In Germany when you move house you have 14 days to register your new address with the stadt, so of we go to stadthalle register ourselves at new address and recieve the paperwork, we are then asked do you have a dog answer yes, off to another dept fill in paperwork re breed etc get the bill for 110 euros, a few days later reeive a call we want to come and measure the dog , ok woman with assistant come to our house with measuring stick, sorry he is 2cm over the limit certificate required, frau makes an appointment at vets watches films etc and takes exam passes get certificate, asks does this mean only i can walk the dog? Answer no any one from the household can walk him!! but they havent done the exam reply does not matter as long as their is a certificate for the dog. Now make sense of that

oh and forgot to say was charged 25 euros for the pleasure of the visit

Heinsberg Blue

Walkies. on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 2006 viewsRyorry

A walk every day, fine.

2 hours - ridiculous, most breeds perfectly fine with one hour as long as at least some of it's offlead. Some people will also have large gardens to let them roam in which would reduce even that need.

For many dogs such as my aging hound or pups under 12 months old, 2 hours would actually be damaging and way too much for them. Mine's whacked out after 3/4 hr these days.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Walkies. on 11:46 - Aug 21 with 1927 viewsMeadowlark

We should bring back a dog licence and make it a significant fee. The licence should ensure inoculations and a chip are in place.
£100.00 a year to start.
No dog without a licence and licence to be revoked for all irresponsible owners, which is quite a lot......
Walkies. on 11:47 - Aug 21 with 1927 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm amazed no-one in this thread has questioned how they police this. Will there be a dog hotline for pooches to complain that they haven't had their regulation 2 hours today?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Walkies. on 11:49 - Aug 21 with 1920 viewsLibero

Walkies. on 11:47 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

I'm amazed no-one in this thread has questioned how they police this. Will there be a dog hotline for pooches to complain that they haven't had their regulation 2 hours today?!

Anyone that doesn't comply will be on the end of RUFF justice...
Walkies. on 11:51 - Aug 21 with 1917 viewsitfcjoe

Walkies. on 11:47 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

"Have you been walked today?"

One bark for yes, 2 barks for No

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Walkies. on 12:15 - Aug 21 with 1870 viewsBrixtonBlue

Walkies. on 11:49 - Aug 21 by Libero

Anyone that doesn't comply will be on the end of RUFF justice...

I expect the police will be following up leads.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Walkies. on 12:33 - Aug 21 with 1820 viewsLibero

Walkies. on 12:15 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

I expect the police will be following up leads.

Thought I’d get dogs abuse for that, good to see we’re both barking up the same tree.
Walkies. on 12:35 - Aug 21 with 1817 viewsBlueBadger

My dog is nearly 14 and *can* do 2 hours - in that time we'll probably cover 6-8 miles(depending on weather and hills) but she'll be absolutely done for the days afterwards and definitely doesn't want to do as long the following day.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Walkies. on 12:41 - Aug 21 with 1810 viewsBrixtonBlue

Walkies. on 12:35 - Aug 21 by BlueBadger

My dog is nearly 14 and *can* do 2 hours - in that time we'll probably cover 6-8 miles(depending on weather and hills) but she'll be absolutely done for the days afterwards and definitely doesn't want to do as long the following day.

You need to get that in writing. Or maybe a paw print.

Walkies. on 12:55 - Aug 21 with 1786 viewsMeadowlark

Walkies. on 12:41 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

German dog owner to dog that hasn't had its walk: "Bist du OK?"
"Nein."

See what I did there?

No? Ich hole meinen Mantel
Walkies. on 12:57 - Aug 21 with 1783 viewsBlueBadger

Walkies. on 12:41 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Walkies. on 12:59 - Aug 21 with 1772 viewsRyorry

Walkies. on 12:55 - Aug 21 by Meadowlark

German dog owner to dog that hasn't had its walk: "Bist du OK?"
"Nein."

See what I did there?

No? Ich hole meinen Mantel

Holst du auch den Mantel deines Hundes? Es regnet, weißt du?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024