Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cornell 15:30 - Aug 22 with 3662 viewscaptainfantastic

Looks hopeless

Poll: player of the season so far?

Cornell on 15:36 - Aug 22 with 3038 viewsGeoffSentence

Well it's a friendly and his first game. I recall watching Gaardaoe when he came on for hist first game and thinking that he looked coompletely out of his depth. He turned out to be excellent for us and I felt we were robbed when we sold him.

I think we need to give Cornell a bit of a chance.

Out damned scot Out I say
Poll: How many more goals will these toothless wonders score before season end

Cornell on 15:41 - Aug 22 with 2953 viewspointofblue

I wonder what might be better at this stage - play him in the second half and try and let him get it out of his system, leaving Holy to play West Ham for the full game, or switch at half time.

Poll: Before 20/21 even ends... where will Town finish in 21/22?

Cornell on 15:46 - Aug 22 with 2911 viewsfactual_blue

After that evening in The Blind Beggar he's never looked very useful.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: How many more years of hurt?
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cornell on 15:48 - Aug 22 with 2873 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He made one bad mistake for the second goal. Not sure that is hopeless.

If it is his only mistake all season there is no problem. If he makes one every half then yes he would be hopeless.

Poll: Favourite pizza
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cornell on 15:49 - Aug 22 with 2857 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Cornell on 15:51 - Aug 22 with 2828 viewsMullet

He did get much better after a shocking opening to be fair. Think he did enough to put Son off from that one he put over the bar.

Does seem to be destined to be our 2nd choice.

Poll: What is the minimum requirement for success this season?
Blog: Climbing Up the Walls

Cornell on 15:51 - Aug 22 with 2818 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Sums up some of our fan base this post.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Cornell on 15:54 - Aug 22 with 2754 viewsJDB23

Yeah pretty poor half but I'll cut him some slack. He's just come in and I expect Lambert has told our keepers to try and play out from the back. He has tried to take that on board even when he shouldn't to try and impress and it's backfired a bit.

Would still hope Holy is to be our number 1 but I'm not gonna dig into him much just from this game.

Login to get fewer ads

Cornell on 15:57 - Aug 22 with 2717 viewsJDAndCoke

Please tell me we're not judging a player based on 45 minutes against one of the best clubs in the country...

Cornell on 15:59 - Aug 22 with 2675 viewsuefacup81

Cornell on 15:57 - Aug 22 by JDAndCoke

Please tell me we're not judging a player based on 45 minutes against one of the best clubs in the country...

Of course we are.

It's what the numbskulls do best!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 15:59]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Cornell on 16:00 - Aug 22 with 2664 viewspointofblue

Cornell on 15:57 - Aug 22 by JDAndCoke

No, we’re judging him for 45 minutes against Spurs.

Poll: Before 20/21 even ends... where will Town finish in 21/22?

Cornell on 16:02 - Aug 22 with 2639 viewscaptainfantastic

Cornell on 15:48 - Aug 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

He made one bad mistake for the second goal. Not sure that is hopeless.

If it is his only mistake all season there is no problem. If he makes one every half then yes he would be hopeless.

He was out of position for the first, so that's another mistake in my book

Poll: player of the season so far?

Cornell on 16:03 - Aug 22 with 2626 viewsRyorry

Cornell on 15:54 - Aug 22 by JDB23

Yeah pretty poor half but I'll cut him some slack. He's just come in and I expect Lambert has told our keepers to try and play out from the back. He has tried to take that on board even when he shouldn't to try and impress and it's backfired a bit.

Would still hope Holy is to be our number 1 but I'm not gonna dig into him much just from this game.

and I'd blame our defenders more than him for passing it square across the back just outside the area, which is what led to the 2nd.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 16:04]

Poll: Best anthem singing players in the Euros?

Cornell on 16:03 - Aug 22 with 2617 viewsChrisd

He’s probably nervous too, he might be 29 but it’s probably the biggest game he’s played in against some genuine quality players for Spurs. He certainly hasn’t gone out to play poorly. Feel we need to give him a decent chance, instead of making our minds up about him based on 45mins against a very decent EPL side.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cornell on 16:06 - Aug 22 with 2583 viewsRyorry

Cornell on 16:03 - Aug 22 by Chrisd

He’s probably nervous too, he might be 29 but it’s probably the biggest game he’s played in against some genuine quality players for Spurs. He certainly hasn’t gone out to play poorly. Feel we need to give him a decent chance, instead of making our minds up about him based on 45mins against a very decent EPL side.

Agree re his nervousness, esp. in a stadium like that - crowd or no crowd.

Cornell on 16:35 - Aug 22 with 2340 viewsFixed_It

Cornell on 15:51 - Aug 22 by Mullet

He did get much better after a shocking opening to be fair. Think he did enough to put Son off from that one he put over the bar.

Does seem to be destined to be our 2nd choice.

Mach has written him off on FB already. I know - I was shocked too!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 16:38]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Have you ever tested positive for Covid?

Cornell on 16:57 - Aug 22 with 2179 viewsBloomBlue

Cornell on 16:02 - Aug 22 by captainfantastic

He was out of position for the first, so that's another mistake in my book

Was you a Richard Wright fan? Remember how England fans claimed he was the worst GK ever based on 45 minutes of football in his 1st England match, well that was unfair Wrighty was an excellent GK
Cornell on 18:10 - Aug 22 with 1949 viewsGeoffSentence

Cornell on 16:57 - Aug 22 by BloomBlue

Was you a Richard Wright fan? Remember how England fans claimed he was the worst GK ever based on 45 minutes of football in his 1st England match, well that was unfair Wrighty was an excellent GK

A view revised by most England fans after this

Out damned scot Out I say
Poll: How many more goals will these toothless wonders score before season end

Cornell on 18:50 - Aug 22 with 1844 viewsflimflam

Its a friendly. He has been here 5 minutes and still finding his feet.

Our fans are morons sometimes.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Cornell on 18:58 - Aug 22 with 1816 viewsradiogaga

Looks hopeless = Shaky first 10 minutes. Wrong footed for first goal, second goal was an error. Steadied himself afterwards, kept calm and did fine for the rest of the half. Now is the time to be trying things that might work/ don't work, rather than the proper games.

To cut him some slack, it would surely have made more sense for Holy/ Cornell to get some game time during the 2 Colchester games, rather than be thrown in against a Spurs team fielding multiple players that played in a Champions League final 14 months ago, and are far sharper in terms of recent competitive games.

Also, getting our keepers to play out from the back seems to have been a common pre season theme early on. Today we were doing it against a team far better than we are. lf playing out from the back is how we are looking to go this season, it's poor scouting/ recruitment if we have signed a goalkeeper that doesn't look entirely comfortable doing that. Clearly he was told to play that way - again, now is the time to experiment and see what works/ doesn't work in a game situation. Not a fan of this craze for goalkeepers to pass it out all the while, and it often doesn't work.

There were positives to take from the game, in terms of fitness/ shape and extra minutes of game time. There were periods of the game where we looked positive on the ball. It was inevitable we would lose and not create much by way of chances. We won't be playing this sort of quality in league one!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 19:10]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Cornell on 18:59 - Aug 22 with 1811 viewscoolcat

Cornell on 18:50 - Aug 22 by flimflam

Its a friendly. He has been here 5 minutes and still finding his feet.

Our fans are morons sometimes.

Sometimes?
Cornell on 19:01 - Aug 22 with 1800 viewsPJH

Cornell on 18:59 - Aug 22 by coolcat

Sometimes?

I thought of posting that but decided to leave it for someone else.
Cornell on 19:06 - Aug 22 with 1751 viewsRyorry

Cornell on 18:58 - Aug 22 by radiogaga

Looks hopeless = Shaky first 10 minutes. Wrong footed for first goal, second goal was an error. Steadied himself afterwards, kept calm and did fine for the rest of the half. Now is the time to be trying things that might work/ don't work, rather than the proper games.

To cut him some slack, it would surely have made more sense for Holy/ Cornell to get some game time during the 2 Colchester games, rather than be thrown in against a Spurs team fielding multiple players that played in a Champions League final 14 months ago, and are far sharper in terms of recent competitive games.

Also, getting our keepers to play out from the back seems to have been a common pre season theme early on. Today we were doing it against a team far better than we are. lf playing out from the back is how we are looking to go this season, it's poor scouting/ recruitment if we have signed a goalkeeper that doesn't look entirely comfortable doing that. Clearly he was told to play that way - again, now is the time to experiment and see what works/ doesn't work in a game situation. Not a fan of this craze for goalkeepers to pass it out all the while, and it often doesn't work.

There were positives to take from the game, in terms of fitness/ shape and extra minutes of game time. There were periods of the game where we looked positive on the ball. It was inevitable we would lose and not create much by way of chances. We won't be playing this sort of quality in league one!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2020 19:10]

The Spurs comms and interviews at close both said they thought it v. helpful of us to play out from the back!

Cornell on 19:32 - Aug 22 with 1672 viewsFreddies_Ears

Cornell on 19:06 - Aug 22 by Ryorry

The Spurs comms and interviews at close both said they thought it v. helpful of us to play out from the back!

It was smart management not to expose Holy's confidence by making him play the first half v a decent Tottenham front 3. Cornell got no help from his defence....
Cornell on 19:47 - Aug 22 with 1634 viewsjas0999

Cornell or Holy - the important point is PL needs to select one and stick with them. No more swapping and changing!

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2021