Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current covid scientific advise.... 07:45 - Aug 24 with 1244 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pretty much all over the place isn't it, unless of course you are out raving. Fortunately they are completely dispassionate and not susceptible to outside political pressure like normal humans.
Supposedly now even if a case is detected in a school bubble it is probably fine and everyone can just carry on. (Most likely caught at home you see!) And anyway you can blame your local officials when it all goes wrong so .....!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:52 - Aug 24 with 1225 viewspointofblue

I think it’s more down to the scientists having no clue about this virus, how it’s mutating and how it affects generations, so a lot of this is calculated guesswork. Hence they can look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions about what it says.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:57 - Aug 24 with 1224 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Whatever we think, another national lockdown is not an option.

Hopefully the plan on schools will come clearer, but there will be an element of trial and error.

For the sake of people needing health treatment, peoples mental health and those trying to keep hold of the family home... we will need to start to function with Covid for some time.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2020 8:04]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:58 - Aug 24 with 1212 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:52 - Aug 24 by pointofblue

I think it’s more down to the scientists having no clue about this virus, how it’s mutating and how it affects generations, so a lot of this is calculated guesswork. Hence they can look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions about what it says.

Indeed.

A lot of the figures being published at the moment are being reported with no context, and that's not helpful.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Current covid scientific advise.... on 08:17 - Aug 24 with 1166 viewsGuthrum

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:57 - Aug 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hopefully the plan on schools will come clearer, but there will be an element of trial and error.

For the sake of people needing health treatment, peoples mental health and those trying to keep hold of the family home... we will need to start to function with Covid for some time.

If things really blow up again, there may be no option other than a second national lockdown. However, that may not happen and is unlikely to do so for a few months anyway. Any second wave may not be as deadly as the first.

As for functioning with Covid - in the absence of a vaccine or other prevention method - then we may have to start thinking of different ways of doing things. Repossessing mortgage lenders will otherwise be left with a load of valueless property they can't do anything with, let alone recouping their losses. Historically, sudden arrivals of new diseases have usually led to social and economic changes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Current covid scientific advise.... on 08:19 - Aug 24 with 1157 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Current covid scientific advise.... on 08:17 - Aug 24 by Guthrum

If things really blow up again, there may be no option other than a second national lockdown. However, that may not happen and is unlikely to do so for a few months anyway. Any second wave may not be as deadly as the first.

As for functioning with Covid - in the absence of a vaccine or other prevention method - then we may have to start thinking of different ways of doing things. Repossessing mortgage lenders will otherwise be left with a load of valueless property they can't do anything with, let alone recouping their losses. Historically, sudden arrivals of new diseases have usually led to social and economic changes.

I think local lockdown is the way to go.

Surely care homes can be locked down properly by now, and they accounted for a large proportion of the deaths.

I think the most sensible approach is local lockdowns and if needed, shielding of the vulnerable.

Current covid scientific advise.... on 11:26 - Aug 24 with 1041 viewsGuthrum

Current covid scientific advise.... on 08:19 - Aug 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think local lockdown is the way to go.

Surely care homes can be locked down properly by now, and they accounted for a large proportion of the deaths.

I think the most sensible approach is local lockdowns and if needed, shielding of the vulnerable.

Yes, if there are only local flare-ups (the kind of thing we're seeing now).

However, a genuine second wave - a countrywide ramping up of infection numbers similar to, or greater than, that in March and April* - is a whole different ball-game. Only containable if it's very geographically limited. Which our first wave wasn't (unlike South Korea or China).

Worth reading up on the double (by some accounts triple) peaks of the 1918 Flu Pandemic. https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

* Due to seasonal (but not necessarily weather-related) factors, plus possibly the expiry of immunities gained in the spring and mutation of the virus itself.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Current covid scientific advise.... on 11:47 - Aug 24 with 1024 viewsLibero

Science has taken a back seat in the UK's response.

Johnson is putting everything onto local authorities and not communicating expectations with them in a formal manner, infact the majority of the times the first time people will hear that aspects are being de-evolved to local level will be via a press conference or news broadcast.

Make no mistake, this government have absolutely f*cked our response and continue to bodge it while simultaneously gas lighting the majority of the general public.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2020 11:52]
Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:25 - Aug 24 with 943 viewsCBBlue

I was astounded to read this morning that they might not even isolate the bubble if a child in that bubble gets it. It honestly makes no sense, yes probably caught it at home but I'm assuming mixing with 60 other kids (the size of bubbles in my son's school) before testing positive means some of those could be asymptomatic, passing it on to parents (who pass it on to work colleagues) and to grandparents who are often assuming their role of after school childcare.

It beggars belief!

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Login to get fewer ads

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:33 - Aug 24 with 928 viewsLibero

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:25 - Aug 24 by CBBlue

I was astounded to read this morning that they might not even isolate the bubble if a child in that bubble gets it. It honestly makes no sense, yes probably caught it at home but I'm assuming mixing with 60 other kids (the size of bubbles in my son's school) before testing positive means some of those could be asymptomatic, passing it on to parents (who pass it on to work colleagues) and to grandparents who are often assuming their role of after school childcare.

It beggars belief!

Thing is, there's quite a bit of mounting Scientific evidence that maybe sending all the kids back to School probably isn't the best idea.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking to start School up again, as tbh this is one of those situations which I don't feel is driven by finance and I can understand the need for children to have some form of normality to ensure their development and well-being isn't effected negatively.

Problem is that a lot of the measures being put in place sound sensible but make zero sense when you look at what's happening around the children, biggest example of that is in School transport.
So children will be in bubbles at school, however if your child gets school transport there is no bubble type collection, nor is there even a requirement for your child to wear a mask, although it is suggested that those in their later teen years do, but again, not mandatory.

What is the point in all these measures if you're going to pretend that a child's journey to school doesn't count, you can't set everything up and ignore the fact that you will have all year groups/classes/etc mingling in amongst one another unprotected on transport.
Getting to the School gates and saying "okay, the bubble starts.... NOW!" just isn't going to cut it.

It's a crazy complicated issue and unlike the opening of pubs or travelling to other countries on holiday, I do feel that this holds merit.
It just speaks volumes about the government that their answer is essentially to leave the local authorities to sort it out while they put together some w@nky disingenuous public service announcement about how effective the UK's track and trace system is.

Absolute b0llocks.
Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:35 - Aug 24 with 925 viewsvapour_trail

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:25 - Aug 24 by CBBlue

It beggars belief!

My daughter is going into a bubble of 180.

Bubbletastic!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:38 - Aug 24 with 907 viewsElephantintheRoom

That's probably because Covid is new and you can prove just about anything at present by tweaking figures. Last week kid's had very high amounts of Covid in their snotty noses, this weef its the parents and teachers fault. Last week Sweden were still being treated like pariahs, this week they have 1/60th of gthe infections of France..... where thise deadly viirus killed one person yesterday.

The real problem is nobody in authority will say for sure that the virus is mutating and is now not very virulent because it might kick off again in the autumn/winter when the NHS will be overun by flu and a sicky bug.... or more realistically, because the government have paid for vaccine research which is not producing a viable vaccine at present - for a disease that may no longer require one.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Current covid scientific advise.... on 13:13 - Aug 24 with 841 viewsLibero

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:33 - Aug 24 by Libero

Thing is, there's quite a bit of mounting Scientific evidence that maybe sending all the kids back to School probably isn't the best idea.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking to start School up again, as tbh this is one of those situations which I don't feel is driven by finance and I can understand the need for children to have some form of normality to ensure their development and well-being isn't effected negatively.

Problem is that a lot of the measures being put in place sound sensible but make zero sense when you look at what's happening around the children, biggest example of that is in School transport.
So children will be in bubbles at school, however if your child gets school transport there is no bubble type collection, nor is there even a requirement for your child to wear a mask, although it is suggested that those in their later teen years do, but again, not mandatory.

What is the point in all these measures if you're going to pretend that a child's journey to school doesn't count, you can't set everything up and ignore the fact that you will have all year groups/classes/etc mingling in amongst one another unprotected on transport.
Getting to the School gates and saying "okay, the bubble starts.... NOW!" just isn't going to cut it.

It's a crazy complicated issue and unlike the opening of pubs or travelling to other countries on holiday, I do feel that this holds merit.
It just speaks volumes about the government that their answer is essentially to leave the local authorities to sort it out while they put together some w@nky disingenuous public service announcement about how effective the UK's track and trace system is.

Absolute b0llocks.

Since posting this I have read this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53888479

It's all just being gone about, arse about tit.
Current covid scientific advise.... on 13:19 - Aug 24 with 819 viewslinhdi

Current covid scientific advise.... on 07:57 - Aug 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

My church is anticipating operating under Covid distancing rules for the next 1-2 years. If that seems pessimistic, then consider what would be needed to go back to the old way of life. I don't see any sign of Covid disappearing, and there is no evidence of long-term immunity, which will reduce the benefit of any vaccine.
Current covid scientific advise.... on 13:23 - Aug 24 with 803 viewsLibero

Current covid scientific advise.... on 13:19 - Aug 24 by linhdi

My church is anticipating operating under Covid distancing rules for the next 1-2 years. If that seems pessimistic, then consider what would be needed to go back to the old way of life. I don't see any sign of Covid disappearing, and there is no evidence of long-term immunity, which will reduce the benefit of any vaccine.

Sounds very realistic to me, especially after head of WHO used a similar time scale in a story last week when discussing the pandemic.
Current covid scientific advise.... on 13:34 - Aug 24 with 778 viewsCBBlue

Current covid scientific advise.... on 12:35 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

My daughter is going into a bubble of 180.

Bubbletastic!

So basically her bubble is the same size as my son's entire school

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Current covid scientific advise.... on 17:31 - Aug 24 with 649 viewsSarge

“Children are at a more risk from a car accident than they are from coronavirus” - Jenny Harries

This is also true and has always been true of the vast majority of adults so can we go back to football now?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024