Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut 11:15 - Aug 25 with 744 viewsWeWereZombies

On the iPlayer for another six days. I never bothered with the Redux, having seen the original when it came out and, I think, once more when it was first shown on TV., also read 'Heart of Darkness' in the light of the film. Thought I would give 'The Final Cut' ten minutes or so on Sunday night and ended up watching the whole three hours transfixed, fascinated by the extended surfing scene and the plantation scene (and now keen to see Redux for the longer version of that plus a couple of other deleted scenes).

On balance I think it does deserve to be regarded as one of the greatest films ever made.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 11:16]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 11:19 - Aug 25 with 717 viewsMullet

The redux is epic in the proper sense of the word. Not seen it since I was early 20's maybe but it is well worth an evening's investment. Feels like it's about 5 hours long in a good way.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 11:26 - Aug 25 with 690 viewsBarcaBlue

Thanks for the heads up. I saw it when it came out at the Film Theatre at the Corn Exchange, I remember the feeling of helicopters coming over my head to the screen blowing me away at the time. Haven't seen it since so looking forward to it this weekend.
Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 13:15 - Aug 25 with 621 viewsElephantintheRoom

The reality is that Coppola had no idea where he was going with the movie - having one of your main stars turn up as a tub of dysfunctional lard and the other suffering a heart attack mid-shoot created plenty of gaps in the shooting schedule before natural disasters kicked in - so he had a ton of excess footage of side stories most of which was seen for what it was at the time - a chaotic self-indlgent mess.

Given a few decades a semblance of watchable stuff re-emerged from the cutting room carnage - including some tits jiggling around on a mud bank in the pouring rain for a gratuitous sex scene making an incongrous appearance.

I'm not sure it was even a great Viet Nam war film, given the absurdity of the plot - but it had its moments, You have to have a lot of time on your hands and a pretty high threshold for self-engrossed tedium to sit through the redux version.... I suggest sitting through the first three Van der Graaf Generator albums by way of warm up.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 13:41 - Aug 25 with 595 viewsWeWereZombies

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 13:15 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

The reality is that Coppola had no idea where he was going with the movie - having one of your main stars turn up as a tub of dysfunctional lard and the other suffering a heart attack mid-shoot created plenty of gaps in the shooting schedule before natural disasters kicked in - so he had a ton of excess footage of side stories most of which was seen for what it was at the time - a chaotic self-indlgent mess.

Given a few decades a semblance of watchable stuff re-emerged from the cutting room carnage - including some tits jiggling around on a mud bank in the pouring rain for a gratuitous sex scene making an incongrous appearance.

I'm not sure it was even a great Viet Nam war film, given the absurdity of the plot - but it had its moments, You have to have a lot of time on your hands and a pretty high threshold for self-engrossed tedium to sit through the redux version.... I suggest sitting through the first three Van der Graaf Generator albums by way of warm up.

Well, I quite like 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other', H to He' and, especially, 'Pawn Hearts'. Peter Hamill proved inspirational to John Lydon, y'know.

Having decided to base a film on 'Heart of Darkness' I would suggest that Coppola did know where he was going with the film and probably more so than many a Truffaut or Spielberg film. 'Apocalypse Now' is unlikely to have been the first film with a few deleted scenes, all part of the creative process. Another influence that Coppola used, according to Wikipedia, was Herzog's 'Aguirre, Wrath of God'. I think if Coppola had been any more sure footed in the plotting he could have been accused of plagiarism. And that is before you include the use of T.S. Eliot and the allusion to Sartre. I suspect that you are mistaking a well executed examination of confusion, set in a confused war, for confusion itself.

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 14:50 - Aug 25 with 558 viewsElephantintheRoom

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 13:41 - Aug 25 by WeWereZombies

Well, I quite like 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other', H to He' and, especially, 'Pawn Hearts'. Peter Hamill proved inspirational to John Lydon, y'know.

Having decided to base a film on 'Heart of Darkness' I would suggest that Coppola did know where he was going with the film and probably more so than many a Truffaut or Spielberg film. 'Apocalypse Now' is unlikely to have been the first film with a few deleted scenes, all part of the creative process. Another influence that Coppola used, according to Wikipedia, was Herzog's 'Aguirre, Wrath of God'. I think if Coppola had been any more sure footed in the plotting he could have been accused of plagiarism. And that is before you include the use of T.S. Eliot and the allusion to Sartre. I suspect that you are mistaking a well executed examination of confusion, set in a confused war, for confusion itself.

Do they still do Pseuds Corner in Private Eye? If so you are a show in.

Most 'critics' put Apocalypse Now 4th on Coppola's movie list... but that does a few an injustice I suspect.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 18:37 - Aug 25 with 518 viewseastangliaisblue

I always found Apocalypse Now very tedious, it has nothing on Full Metal Jacket.
Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 18:41 - Aug 25 with 512 viewsWeWereZombies

Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on 14:50 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

Do they still do Pseuds Corner in Private Eye? If so you are a show in.

Most 'critics' put Apocalypse Now 4th on Coppola's movie list... but that does a few an injustice I suspect.

Absolutely, I always put a couple of shows on my feet before I leave the house...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024