Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kayden Jackson 10:23 - Aug 26 with 3152 viewsjudespiveyg

I think most are in agreement that he was our best striker last year (11 goals 7 assists), but I'm struggling to see where he fits in this year.
Lambert's making it pretty clear that 433 is his chosen formation, and if he's learnt his lesson from last year he's not going to constantly change it to shoehorn players in. Jackson isn't a leader of the line, and he struggles with his back to goal, so I can't see him as the central striker, with Hawkins, Norwood, Drinan and possibly Folami even being more suited.
He could play out wide, he's quick and can cross well, but Sears, Edwards and Lankester are all more suited to the wide forward roles, possibly Dobra too but I see him more as a 10.
So with his contract situation seemingly at a halt and the system not really being suited to him, is it worth selling him while we can still get reasonable money for him?

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Kayden Jackson on 10:30 - Aug 26 with 3110 viewscatch74

I imagine if we hold to him and go up, he’d sign a new contract. If he stays and plays, he’d surely be 15-20 goals + assists, so his value would rise. That hasn’t really answered how he’ll fit in a 4-3-3 but I think with the way his wages are calculated for this season with the cap and the fact he offers some variation with his pace we should hold on to him.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Kayden Jackson on 10:31 - Aug 26 with 3102 viewsGarv

It's not impossible that the three up front will be a narrow three, in which case he could be well suited. If they're going to be more like wingers, then you're right the likes of Lankester/Dobra/Edwards might be more useful. I imagine he'll still be used a fair bit, there will inevitably be times we go two up top to chase a game.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Kayden Jackson on 10:33 - Aug 26 with 3083 viewsHerbivore

I'd say he's much more suited to the wide forward role than Edwards and there's no reason he couldn't be more effective than Sears or Lankester in that role as well. Sears works hard but his end product isn't as good as Jackson's and we don't yet know how effective Lankester will be after over 18 months out injured. If we're playing 4-3-3 we need to use genuine wide forwards rather than wide midfielders like Edwards otherwise it too easily becomes a 4-5-1 with the front man isolated.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kayden Jackson on 10:37 - Aug 26 with 3047 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Clear to me that Jackson can play wide or through the middle of the system we are playing. Was top scorer last year too. Can only see the issue being that he did not play against West Ham. Maybe he has a knock. Hawkins also has not featured but he has only just come into the club. With games coming thick and fast I think having more than one player for each position is a bonus we could do with. However, there must still be a system that all the players know and can fit into.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Kayden Jackson on 11:28 - Aug 26 with 2934 viewsjayessess

I know it's the received wisdom that Jackson can't play down the middle on his own, but... why not exactly? His hold up play is no worse than Norwood and certainly superior to Drinan. He's quick enough that going over the top or knocking it into the corners is always an option.

He's more or less exactly the kind of player that modern football tends to deploy as a forward in a 4-3-3.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kayden Jackson on 11:42 - Aug 26 with 2897 viewsWickets

Kayden Jackson on 11:28 - Aug 26 by jayessess

I know it's the received wisdom that Jackson can't play down the middle on his own, but... why not exactly? His hold up play is no worse than Norwood and certainly superior to Drinan. He's quick enough that going over the top or knocking it into the corners is always an option.

He's more or less exactly the kind of player that modern football tends to deploy as a forward in a 4-3-3.

Sorry but Jackson and Drinian are different as Drinian plays with his back to goal as Murthy used to do ,his first job is to hold the ball up and bring others into play . Jackson plays on the edge of the defender looking for balls over the top so he can use his pace .
Kayden Jackson on 11:43 - Aug 26 with 2890 viewsHerbivore

We don't play modern football, mate.

Kayden Jackson on 11:51 - Aug 26 with 2865 viewsjayessess

Kayden Jackson on 11:42 - Aug 26 by Wickets

Sorry but Jackson and Drinian are different as Drinian plays with his back to goal as Murthy used to do ,his first job is to hold the ball up and bring others into play . Jackson plays on the edge of the defender looking for balls over the top so he can use his pace .

But... Jackson is also better than Drinan with his back to goal?

Login to get fewer ads

Kayden Jackson on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 2832 viewsitfcjoe

I'm struggling to see where he plays, I'd like to see him given a chance in the wide roles as think he'd add a lot - and also think if he cracks it he will be worth a lot of money to us as has physical attributes that give him such an advantage.

But he's not had a a look in there as yet, most likely linked to no strikers fit at the moment bar Drinan.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kayden Jackson on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 2820 viewsGarv

His touch and general hold up play is simply not good enough to do it.

Kayden Jackson on 12:13 - Aug 26 with 2806 viewsHerbivore

Kayden Jackson on 12:06 - Aug 26 by itfcjoe

I'm struggling to see where he plays, I'd like to see him given a chance in the wide roles as think he'd add a lot - and also think if he cracks it he will be worth a lot of money to us as has physical attributes that give him such an advantage.

But he's not had a a look in there as yet, most likely linked to no strikers fit at the moment bar Drinan.

You'd hope he's being used there in training but I'm not confident. Like you I think if he's ever going to make it beyond this level and be worth serious cash it'll be as a wide forward. He's got all the attributes of a modern wide forward imo.

Kayden Jackson on 12:18 - Aug 26 with 2795 viewstextbackup

Kayden Jackson on 12:06 - Aug 26 by itfcjoe

he can put in a lovely ball too from out wide, Gillingham away sticks in the mind, ball over to KVY at the back post

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Kayden Jackson on 12:19 - Aug 26 with 2787 viewsGarv

Kayden Jackson on 11:51 - Aug 26 by jayessess

But... Jackson is also better than Drinan with his back to goal?

If they're both crap with their backs to goal then it doesn't help us.

Kayden Jackson on 12:25 - Aug 26 with 2771 viewsHerbivore

Kayden Jackson on 12:18 - Aug 26 by textbackup

he can put in a lovely ball too from out wide, Gillingham away sticks in the mind, ball over to KVY at the back post

7 assists for him last season, a very decent total for someone who doesn't take set pieces. His quality from wide areas is very underrated.

Kayden Jackson on 12:32 - Aug 26 with 2744 viewsjayessess

Kayden Jackson on 12:06 - Aug 26 by Garv

His touch and general hold up play is simply not good enough to do it.

Maybe 2 years ago his touch and hold up play wasn't good enough. These days? So long as the plan isn't to hump it vaguely in his direction from 60 yards away, I think he's fine.

Kayden Jackson on 12:33 - Aug 26 with 2744 viewsitfcjoe

Kayden Jackson on 12:18 - Aug 26 by textbackup

Bristol Rovers at home was quality too - he was very good at looking up when he got to the by line too - think it was his cross for Downes diving header as well in an early home game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kayden Jackson on 12:35 - Aug 26 with 2726 viewstextbackup

Kayden Jackson on 12:33 - Aug 26 by itfcjoe

Bristol Rovers at home was quality too - he was very good at looking up when he got to the by line too - think it was his cross for Downes diving header as well in an early home game

one of my favourite town goals of the last 10 years that was (downes)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Kayden Jackson on 12:45 - Aug 26 with 2689 viewsSouperJim

Kayden Jackson on 12:32 - Aug 26 by jayessess

Maybe 2 years ago his touch and hold up play wasn't good enough. These days? So long as the plan isn't to hump it vaguely in his direction from 60 yards away, I think he's fine.

He does seem to have improved a bit, but I still can't remember a striker I've seen in a blue shirt with a worse first touch. The idea of playing him in the middle of a front 3 is a bit bonkers imo, he needs to run onto through balls from out wide etc.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Kayden Jackson on 13:44 - Aug 26 with 2602 viewsWickets

Kayden Jackson on 12:45 - Aug 26 by SouperJim

He does seem to have improved a bit, but I still can't remember a striker I've seen in a blue shirt with a worse first touch. The idea of playing him in the middle of a front 3 is a bit bonkers imo, he needs to run onto through balls from out wide etc.

Yes his first touch is often too heavy but his pace often gets him out of trouble . He rarely plays with his back to goal but in this league he can be a handfull through the middle or out wide goals and assists he has done well for me . Running on to through balls is his game without a doubt.
Kayden Jackson on 14:08 - Aug 26 with 2572 viewsjayessess

Kayden Jackson on 12:45 - Aug 26 by SouperJim

I think it's improved more than a bit, to the point where it's basically fairly standard for a player at this level. It's no worse than Norwood's imo. Key is getting midfielders close enough to him I reckon.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024