Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fruit and veg growers of twtd 13:28 - Aug 26 with 2935 viewsvapour_trail

How’s your harvest looking.

I had a lockdown stab at a first patch in my meadow for a number of years. Pulled my first carrots from the ground this morning, which was satisfying. I’ve had a couple of courgette so far, have about a dozen cobs of sweetcorn coming along nicely for late summer barbies. A number of tomato plants on the go but they’re going to need good September sun to ripen well.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:35 - Aug 26 with 2443 viewsgiant_stow

I had my first ever attempt, but the fcking snails ate more or less everything. One night in particular was carnage. I was tempted to go on a snail stamping revenge attack, but then remembered I don't hurt flies.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:38 - Aug 26 with 2439 viewsWeWereZombies

Quite mixed, which is to be expected in more northerly climes.

My new potato patch looks to be going great guns and I do not expect to have to buy tatties until next summer. Another bonus are some snowball turnip seeds which I planted in very well prepared ground but without any great expectation. I should have thinned them out more a couple of months ago but I am getting a decent crop nevertheless. Very nice raw sliced into a sandwich, am lifting them early on some advice I gleaned from 'Dickie Bird's Britain' where a market gardener in Shropshire recommends not leaving it too long because turnips get 'woody' as they age.

Also, more than a thousand raspberries from my canes and even my rhubarb is beginning to expand it's patch now. Blackcurrant bush is still alive five years on, still no fruit five years on.

But the disasters - looks like nothing from the Chinese cabbage, salsify, parsnip and carrot seeds (although I didn't expect much from the ancient seeds I used for the last two), no herbs either other than my well established but flavourless rosemary. I need to buy a geodesic dome and go full on greenhouse mode.

[edit] courgettes, hmmm, loads of plants and a decent crop of courgette flowers for some exotic eating but no sign of any actual courgettes yet.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 13:45]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:41 - Aug 26 with 2428 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:35 - Aug 26 by giant_stow

I had my first ever attempt, but the fcking snails ate more or less everything. One night in particular was carnage. I was tempted to go on a snail stamping revenge attack, but then remembered I don't hurt flies.

Dug a potato/veg plot during lockdown. Slugs eat all carrots, onions etc, was Carnage. Tried egg shells, beer traps, coffee grinds, nothing stopped um. Harvested one row of potatoes last week, and have eaten the 2 best cucumbers ever cultivated
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:43 - Aug 26 with 2424 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:38 - Aug 26 by WeWereZombies

Quite mixed, which is to be expected in more northerly climes.

My new potato patch looks to be going great guns and I do not expect to have to buy tatties until next summer. Another bonus are some snowball turnip seeds which I planted in very well prepared ground but without any great expectation. I should have thinned them out more a couple of months ago but I am getting a decent crop nevertheless. Very nice raw sliced into a sandwich, am lifting them early on some advice I gleaned from 'Dickie Bird's Britain' where a market gardener in Shropshire recommends not leaving it too long because turnips get 'woody' as they age.

Also, more than a thousand raspberries from my canes and even my rhubarb is beginning to expand it's patch now. Blackcurrant bush is still alive five years on, still no fruit five years on.

But the disasters - looks like nothing from the Chinese cabbage, salsify, parsnip and carrot seeds (although I didn't expect much from the ancient seeds I used for the last two), no herbs either other than my well established but flavourless rosemary. I need to buy a geodesic dome and go full on greenhouse mode.

[edit] courgettes, hmmm, loads of plants and a decent crop of courgette flowers for some exotic eating but no sign of any actual courgettes yet.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 13:45]

More then a thousand raspberries, so jealous. I managed a handful....
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:48 - Aug 26 with 2410 viewsgiant_stow

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:41 - Aug 26 by leitrimblue

Dug a potato/veg plot during lockdown. Slugs eat all carrots, onions etc, was Carnage. Tried egg shells, beer traps, coffee grinds, nothing stopped um. Harvested one row of potatoes last week, and have eaten the 2 best cucumbers ever cultivated

They'll sh1ts innit, but at least you got something - I bet you savoured every mouthful!

All I have left is a massive tomatoe plant that somehow survived, but has no tomatoes on it. Someone told me I had to tickle the flowers to get them to make babies, but there were none to tickle.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:50 - Aug 26 with 2406 viewsWeWereZombies

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:43 - Aug 26 by leitrimblue

More then a thousand raspberries, so jealous. I managed a handful....

Well to assuage your jealousy just think of how bored I am in lock down that I actually count my raspberries as I harvest them...and then take photos when I have seventy or eighty on the kitchen counter.

I'm going to go and have a little cry now.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:55 - Aug 26 with 2401 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:48 - Aug 26 by giant_stow

They'll sh1ts innit, but at least you got something - I bet you savoured every mouthful!

All I have left is a massive tomatoe plant that somehow survived, but has no tomatoes on it. Someone told me I had to tickle the flowers to get them to make babies, but there were none to tickle.

We been eating potato based meals for a week. Clearly it's not my strong point but guess tickling something to do with pollenation? No flowers could be an issue
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:04 - Aug 26 with 2389 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:50 - Aug 26 by WeWereZombies

Well to assuage your jealousy just think of how bored I am in lock down that I actually count my raspberries as I harvest them...and then take photos when I have seventy or eighty on the kitchen counter.

I'm going to go and have a little cry now.

I had quite a lot of blackcurrants from a single bush in a tub. Cut it back and hopefully next year you'll see a difference.

It may be that you know what you're doing so it's not my place to lecture you. My gardening neighbour cut mine back in all the right places last year and it's been a different plant this season.

Same for your flavourless rosemary. Cut the thing right back so you have nice fresh growth next year.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:07 - Aug 26 with 2386 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:55 - Aug 26 by leitrimblue

We been eating potato based meals for a week. Clearly it's not my strong point but guess tickling something to do with pollenation? No flowers could be an issue

Grow lavender next year in pots if you don't have space/inclination for flowers.

Anything to attract bees and hoverflies.

Sage chucks out some pretty red flowers, that sort of thing.

Potatoes is at least patriotic of you if nothing else!

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:12 - Aug 26 with 2378 viewsjeera

Nice one vappers. I couldn't get hold of any seeds when it mattered cos everywhere online had sold out due to the c-19.

Had to make do with limited bits but had a few nice yellow courgettes from last year's seeds.

This lot seem to be doing ok; made me think of Bully and his pizza oven.

I hope they've reinforced the roof to allow for all the weight:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53853788

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:15 - Aug 26 with 2376 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:07 - Aug 26 by jeera

Grow lavender next year in pots if you don't have space/inclination for flowers.

Have a good bit of land but it's mainly bog an Forestry. Planted potatoes straight into bog/peat, they worked a treat. Have invested in a polytunnel for next year
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 14:17]
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:16 - Aug 26 with 2374 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:48 - Aug 26 by giant_stow

One tomato plant? One? Surely you planted several. Slugs don't usually go for tomato plants and they generally seem fairly immune from attack in my humble experience.

Sharp sand for the slugs. If you have room then it's far cheaper to buy 10 bags and have them in stock; B&Q are a quid a bag or something if you buy 10 usually.

You need to border the sand in otherwise a bit of rain and the lot washes away!

But they're not keen on slithering over the grains.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 15:03]

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:18 - Aug 26 with 2369 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:15 - Aug 26 by leitrimblue

Have a good bit of land but it's mainly bog an Forestry. Planted potatoes straight into bog/peat, they worked a treat. Have invested in a polytunnel for next year
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 14:17]

Lucky you! Sounds great.

It's been years since I had a proper greenhouse.

How do you get the pollinators in there? Just leave an end open and hope they wander in, or do it by hand?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:21 - Aug 26 with 2364 viewsgiant_stow

Do you do requests Percy? I planted Lavender (two types)to smell off cats and they all died, despite regular watering. What did I do wrong? Is there a special food for them?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:23 - Aug 26 with 2356 viewsjontysnut

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 13:35 - Aug 26 by giant_stow

Hancock's Half Hour

TONY: [reading] "When you be plantin' yorn potatoes, make sure there aren't no wire worms about". He's dead right, very nasty that is, wire worms in your spuds. You remember our spuds last year? 39 pounds of potatoes and we only got 5 chips out of them.
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:23 - Aug 26 with 2354 viewsgiant_stow

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:16 - Aug 26 by jeera

One tomato plant? One? Surely you planted several. Slugs don't usually go for tomato plants and they generally seem fairly immune from attack in my humble experience.

Sharp sand for the slugs. If you have room then it's far cheaper to buy 10 bags and have them in stock; B&Q are a quid a bag or something if you buy 10 usually.

You need to border the sand in otherwise a bit of rain and the lot washes away!

But they're not keen on slithering over the grains.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 15:03]

ta! Good tip - I will not give up and try that for next year.

I plated loads - a few grew, but seemed to get eaten, but one survived and grew quickly - i spose it was too big a target.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:26 - Aug 26 with 2348 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:18 - Aug 26 by jeera

Lucky you! Sounds great.

It's been years since I had a proper greenhouse.

How do you get the pollinators in there? Just leave an end open and hope they wander in, or do it by hand?

I'm guessing you leave it open. I've only built metal frame at the moment, thinking about leaving the polycarbonate off til February/march. Had a couple of big enough storm's here in last week an don't see much point in risking damage while it's empty over winter
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:30 - Aug 26 with 2342 viewsusm

Had several courgettes, cucumbers and butternut squashes and got several pepper and chilli plants coming thru plus tomatoes now starting to ripen. Peas were a but disappointing - only got about six pods and strawberries were a complete failure.
Planted a single blueberry tree in early summer and got a decent number of berries from that - at least enough for one person's dessert!

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:33 - Aug 26 with 2338 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:23 - Aug 26 by giant_stow

ta! Good tip - I will not give up and try that for next year.

I plated loads - a few grew, but seemed to get eaten, but one survived and grew quickly - i spose it was too big a target.

That and the most effective defence is to go out of a night early doors with a hand trowel and remove them.

It's not unusual for me to go out and relocate a good 30 - 50 in the first week, which gets rid of most of the regulars.

It's worth putting in the effort and of course stops them rebreeding on your doorstep.

Dunno about the lavender mate. I've just got a couple of different types in pots. Use a general all round tomato feed for everything and usually some bone/fish meal stuff for potting/repotting. Regular watering like you say.

When using pots for herbs etc, do scrape off any moss and weeds growing in there though so water and feed can get through. You'd be surprised how much pot plants get strangled by that crap growing on the top. Bit of fresh compost sprinkled on top mixed with feed afterwards can rejuvenate stuff.

Edit: As per requests, there's just been a couple of things on the thread I've struggled with in the past so can only offer the little I've learnt.

Dubs is possibly more your man for a bit more in-depth and B2R if he's still alive is the one to talk to.

All good though and offers a replacement for actual fun as you get older.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 14:38]

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:40 - Aug 26 with 2335 viewsBrianTablet

We've grown an awful lot of cabbage white butterflies.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:58 - Aug 26 with 2318 viewsgiant_stow

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 14:33 - Aug 26 by jeera

That and the most effective defence is to go out of a night early doors with a hand trowel and remove them.

It's not unusual for me to go out and relocate a good 30 - 50 in the first week, which gets rid of most of the regulars.

It's worth putting in the effort and of course stops them rebreeding on your doorstep.

Dunno about the lavender mate. I've just got a couple of different types in pots. Use a general all round tomato feed for everything and usually some bone/fish meal stuff for potting/repotting. Regular watering like you say.

When using pots for herbs etc, do scrape off any moss and weeds growing in there though so water and feed can get through. You'd be surprised how much pot plants get strangled by that crap growing on the top. Bit of fresh compost sprinkled on top mixed with feed afterwards can rejuvenate stuff.

Edit: As per requests, there's just been a couple of things on the thread I've struggled with in the past so can only offer the little I've learnt.

Dubs is possibly more your man for a bit more in-depth and B2R if he's still alive is the one to talk to.

All good though and offers a replacement for actual fun as you get older.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 14:38]

Thanks loads fella.

As you say, its proving to be a nice getting older past time.

Dedicated to be up late at night removing them!

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 15:00 - Aug 26 with 2315 viewsWeWereZombies

I never knew leitrimblue was Peruvian...

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 15:07 - Aug 26 with 2306 viewsleitrimblue

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 15:00 - Aug 26 by WeWereZombies

I never knew leitrimblue was Peruvian...

You just thought I was a big fan of pan pipes?
Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 15:11 - Aug 26 with 2305 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Been a decent season. Best greengages and plums for quite a few years. Veg wise, potatoes where abundant, but main crop were on the smaller side. Rest all been pretty good, but a massive failure with parsnips again

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 18:38 - Aug 26 with 2233 viewsjeera

Fruit and veg growers of twtd on 15:11 - Aug 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

Been a decent season. Best greengages and plums for quite a few years. Veg wise, potatoes where abundant, but main crop were on the smaller side. Rest all been pretty good, but a massive failure with parsnips again

What happened with the parsnips then?

Got to be loose soil for those hasn't it.

Sand again, a good one part to 4 parts soil/compost gives them a chance to stretch out a bit!

Less resistance the better. (I'm sure you already know this, I'm just bored today).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024