Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour and Tories neck and neck 23:40 - Aug 29 with 4775 viewsElderGrizzly

They’re not happy with Boris...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/29/boris-johnson-faces-tory-wrath-

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:49 - Aug 29 with 3296 viewsbournemouthblue

I have to say, the government we have currently is the most incompetent bunch of morons, we have ever really seen

An actual Times Columnist was suggesting it's actually Boris' strategy to surround himself with morons so he can't be overthrown

Whether it is deliberately that cynical we can't say but there seems to be a new scandal every week

They seem to be behind the eight ball with everything on CoVid, it's all reactive rather than proactive

The government seems to make the wrong mistake initially on something, a media storm builds up and they U-turn within about three days

It seems to be happening every week, it is mental really

I hope this is a sign that the people are finally realising what a sorry bunch this lot are

The, I can't see what more they could have done brigade have been a bit slow on the uptake but perhaps reality is finally starting to set in now

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:49 - Aug 29 with 3299 viewspointofblue

I think someone said it before - they’ll let Boris deal with Covid and Brexit then replace him before the next election. They’ll then point the finger at him for all the wrongs and declare they’ve changed; similar to how they treated Theresa May.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:53 - Aug 29 with 3284 viewsClapham_Junction

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:49 - Aug 29 by bournemouthblue

I have to say, the government we have currently is the most incompetent bunch of morons, we have ever really seen

An actual Times Columnist was suggesting it's actually Boris' strategy to surround himself with morons so he can't be overthrown

Whether it is deliberately that cynical we can't say but there seems to be a new scandal every week

They seem to be behind the eight ball with everything on CoVid, it's all reactive rather than proactive

The government seems to make the wrong mistake initially on something, a media storm builds up and they U-turn within about three days

It seems to be happening every week, it is mental really

I hope this is a sign that the people are finally realising what a sorry bunch this lot are

The, I can't see what more they could have done brigade have been a bit slow on the uptake but perhaps reality is finally starting to set in now

And yet they're still on 40%. It's horrendously depressing.
Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:00 - Aug 30 with 3266 viewsbournemouthblue

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:49 - Aug 29 by pointofblue

I think someone said it before - they’ll let Boris deal with Covid and Brexit then replace him before the next election. They’ll then point the finger at him for all the wrongs and declare they’ve changed; similar to how they treated Theresa May.

That seems to be how they roll

I understand why Brexit happened but voting for Boris 'just to get Brexit done', whatever that actually means in reality wasn't a great reason for five more years of the Tories

Their handling of CoVid has been nothing short of shambolic and actually, their obsession with all things Brexit caused them to take their eye off the ball with national security threats such as this Pandemic

We have a £250 billion weapons system designed to protect our national security

But they happily disbanded a committee specifically for Pandemics 6 months before CoVid hit

Public health itself is a real threat, people don't seem to have quite the same fear of

We know we don't like terrorists and we are scared of them but you're considerably more likely to die of cancer, heart problems or be effected by mental health issues etc throughout life

That for me is a real threat and many people don't seem to appreciate that

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:01 - Aug 30 with 3268 viewstractordownsouth

Yep, there's no way Johnson survives till 2024. I also think it may be beneficial for Sunak to resign as Chancellor early next year. You can see from his social media output that he's lining himself up as a future leader, and his approval ratings are sky high due to him spending his entire time in the job dishing out money and half price McDonalds. When the tax rises and spending cuts arrive, his popularity will inevitably nosedive, so if he distances himself from the carnage now, it may be beneficial to him in the long run.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:01 - Aug 30 with 3264 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It matters not.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:02 - Aug 30 with 3262 viewsbournemouthblue

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 23:53 - Aug 29 by Clapham_Junction

And yet they're still on 40%. It's horrendously depressing.

You do wonder what these jokers have to do to lose power

Even, not particularly anti-Tory newspapers are being fairly critical of the government, that takes some doing!

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 07:45 - Aug 30 with 3091 viewsElderGrizzly

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:02 - Aug 30 by bournemouthblue

You do wonder what these jokers have to do to lose power

Even, not particularly anti-Tory newspapers are being fairly critical of the government, that takes some doing!

Its similar with Trump. 43% vote for him no matter what, simply because he isn’t the other party.
Login to get fewer ads

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 07:57 - Aug 30 with 3080 viewsOldsmoker

The next big drop in Johnsons popularity is coming up very soon.
It looks like the UK gov. have run out of time to finalise a trade deal with the EU and unless they capitulate and give up their delaying tactics there will be no deal when we leave the EU on Dec 31st.
The Tories had 4 and a half years to sign the "easiest trade deal in history" and they blew it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 08:07 - Aug 30 with 3042 viewsPlums

Sadly Boris is just the mouthpiece for the mob in Tufton St and their backers. He’ll be replaced by another populist puppet with a veneer of competence and the country will once again follow them blindly over a cliff.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:19 - Aug 30 with 2961 viewsGuthrum

Tho there is an element in this of the government being punished for taking a flexible position during a developing crisis. Combined with a slavish devotion among Tory back-benchers to the de-contextualised legacy of Thatcher's "U-turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning" line.

Would people really be more comfortable if the Government had come to a decision and fiercely stuck to it, even in the face of expert advice and facts proving it wrong? Surely a certain flexibility is to be commended in a rapidly moving situation?

Now I'm not suggesting that this administration are secretly highly competent. I don't think they are. But neither is every policy reversal automatically a bad thing.

One of their biggest problems at the moment is lacking anyone able to clearly and dynamically present what the Government are trying to say. Johnson is an abominable public speaker, advised by someone who appears to have a contempt for the opinions of others. None of the others are really much better. Gove is the best performer, but nobody trusts him (also has been considerably sidelined of late). Otherwise they're left with the embattled Hancock, who has at least been fronting up during this crisis.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:22 - Aug 30 with 2951 viewsMullet

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:19 - Aug 30 by Guthrum

Tho there is an element in this of the government being punished for taking a flexible position during a developing crisis. Combined with a slavish devotion among Tory back-benchers to the de-contextualised legacy of Thatcher's "U-turn if you want to, the lady's not for turning" line.

Would people really be more comfortable if the Government had come to a decision and fiercely stuck to it, even in the face of expert advice and facts proving it wrong? Surely a certain flexibility is to be commended in a rapidly moving situation?

Now I'm not suggesting that this administration are secretly highly competent. I don't think they are. But neither is every policy reversal automatically a bad thing.

One of their biggest problems at the moment is lacking anyone able to clearly and dynamically present what the Government are trying to say. Johnson is an abominable public speaker, advised by someone who appears to have a contempt for the opinions of others. None of the others are really much better. Gove is the best performer, but nobody trusts him (also has been considerably sidelined of late). Otherwise they're left with the embattled Hancock, who has at least been fronting up during this crisis.

The problem is Williamson's U turn for example came with a timeline and a defiant refusal that showed he buckled and had no idea of the facts or reality at all.

It's hard to see any of these U turns as being pragmatic beyond trying to hold on to their positions. The fact that cabinet ministers are impervious now and it's the civil servants who get canned instead is very worrying from a democratic point of view.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:32 - Aug 30 with 2924 viewsbluelagos

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:19 - Aug 30 by Guthrum

Was wondering what had happened to Gove and to a lesser extent Raab.

Comes to something when you are regularly putting up Grant Shapps as the guy to explain govt policy.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:42 - Aug 30 with 2900 viewsGuthrum

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:22 - Aug 30 by Mullet

The problem is Williamson's U turn for example came with a timeline and a defiant refusal that showed he buckled and had no idea of the facts or reality at all.

It's hard to see any of these U turns as being pragmatic beyond trying to hold on to their positions. The fact that cabinet ministers are impervious now and it's the civil servants who get canned instead is very worrying from a democratic point of view.

Some of them appear to be startlingly incompetent (Williamson*, Grayling). I was thinking particularly about the changes in Covid policy, being the thing that has particularly enraged backbenchers and their support in the country.

I believe that Cabinet Ministers have become unsackable simply because infighting and changes in the party over recent years have left the "talent pool" so denuded that potential replacements (with sufficient seniority) are all of even lower quality. Plus over-powerful factions are backing their people and cannot be slighted. This thanks to the febrile Brexit atmosphere, May's weak leadership and the fact that is exactly how Johnson came to power.

* May have managed the remarkable feat of seizing Gove's crown as the worst Education Secretary in recent memory.

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:44 - Aug 30 with 2894 viewsGuthrum

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:32 - Aug 30 by bluelagos

Comes to something when you are regularly putting up Grant Shapps as the guy to explain govt policy.

I suspect they may have quietly slipped into the background to avoid flying sh1t and in preparation for their next tilt at the Conservative leadership.

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:51 - Aug 30 with 2875 viewsfactual_blue

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 00:01 - Aug 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

It matters not.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:53 - Aug 30 with 2866 viewspointofblue

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 08:07 - Aug 30 by Plums

Sadly Boris is just the mouthpiece for the mob in Tufton St and their backers. He’ll be replaced by another populist puppet with a veneer of competence and the country will once again follow them blindly over a cliff.

It’d be nice to have a Prime Minister with even a veneer of competence.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 10:06 - Aug 30 with 2829 viewsMonkeyAlan

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:53 - Aug 30 by pointofblue

It’d be nice to have a Prime Minister with even a veneer of competence.

No chance there. Which ever party they are all to$$ers.
Labour and Tories neck and neck on 10:51 - Aug 30 with 2772 viewsBlueBadger

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 09:32 - Aug 30 by bluelagos

Schapps definitely comes across as the sort of bloke that the lads from 'WHote Gold' would think is a bt shifty.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 11:11 - Aug 30 with 2757 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 07:57 - Aug 30 by Oldsmoker

It looks like the UK gov. have run out of time to finalise a trade deal with the EU and unless they capitulate and give up their delaying tactics there will be no deal when we leave the EU on Dec 31st.
The Tories had 4 and a half years to sign the "easiest trade deal in history" and they blew it.

Actually we left the European Union on 31st January last, the transition period ends on 31st December. Or perhaps that will be the end of the first transition period...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 11:15 - Aug 30 with 2750 viewstractordownsouth

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 07:57 - Aug 30 by Oldsmoker

They're putting some great spin on it. Instead of fulfilling their promises to cut red tape, they're now "committed to growing the customs sector

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 11:54 - Aug 30 with 2715 viewsGaryCooper

What a surprise, a middle ground leader who has no links to the IRA or who refuses to ignore obvious anti-Semitism is doing well.

The supporters of the previous leader are a fekin disgrace.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2020 11:56]
Labour and Tories neck and neck on 12:03 - Aug 30 with 2689 viewsOldsmoker

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 11:11 - Aug 30 by WeWereZombies

Actually we left the European Union on 31st January last, the transition period ends on 31st December. Or perhaps that will be the end of the first transition period...

There's no 'perhaps' about the transition period - that boat sailed at the end of July. It ends on Dec 31st.
Frost, our EU negotiator, sent Barnier a memo about the status of the negotiations ie. what had been agreed and what was left to nail down.
Barnier was surprised (and shocked) to see a new area of disagreement had got on the list. This was Regional Trade marks eg Parma Ham, Scotch Whiskey etc. It seems the UK want to keep all their trademarks but want the EU to drop some of theirs.
Barnier sees this as the UK putting up yet another obstacle to guarantee the No Deal option is the only route available.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 12:10 - Aug 30 with 2679 viewstractordownsouth

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 12:03 - Aug 30 by Oldsmoker

There's no 'perhaps' about the transition period - that boat sailed at the end of July. It ends on Dec 31st.
Frost, our EU negotiator, sent Barnier a memo about the status of the negotiations ie. what had been agreed and what was left to nail down.
Barnier was surprised (and shocked) to see a new area of disagreement had got on the list. This was Regional Trade marks eg Parma Ham, Scotch Whiskey etc. It seems the UK want to keep all their trademarks but want the EU to drop some of theirs.
Barnier sees this as the UK putting up yet another obstacle to guarantee the No Deal option is the only route available.

But it's all the EU's fault for being inflexible remember.

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 12:13 - Aug 30 with 2670 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour and Tories neck and neck on 12:03 - Aug 30 by Oldsmoker

Errr, whiskey is Irish. it is whisky that is distilled in Scotland. I think Bushmills would have something to say about Scotch being passed off as whiskey...and the proofreader at Glenfiddich's label printer would definitely get the sack.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024