Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing out from the back / playing style 10:56 - Aug 30 with 394 viewsWestcountryblue

While i'm a big fan of playing out from the back, i really don't think it suits the style of play required in this league nor the personnel we have at our disposal. Essentially, it relies on the 2 centre backs taking the ball on the edge of the penalty area and trying to either play it to the CDM (4) or fullback each time. The only player who can do this regularly is Luke Woolfenden with our 3 other CB's not particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet. In the hustle and bustle of League One, i can see defensive mistakes costing us, just like they have done in our preseason games.

The same can be said for our approach play. From the games that I've watched, we continue to look pretty but ineffective - moving the ball from side to side without any real tempo. Again, i really don't think this suits the players we have at our disposal. Looking through the squad we'd be much better playing counter attacking, high tempo football with players like KVY, Jackson, Bishop and Sears all being good ball carriers.

Unfortunately i can see us abandoning this style of play early into the season as it simply doesn't work at this level. Swansea are probably the only team in recent history to have successfully played this way in the lower leagues. Not sure PL has learnt anything from his mistakes which is disheartening.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2020 10:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024