Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m not a massive Lambert fan 08:08 - Aug 31 with 2712 viewsskyblue23

But if he’s changed his style of management to ruffle a few feathers then good. Last season everybody could see we had no fight! That Peterborough game was embarrassing, as were a lot more! If it takes Lambert coming away from his pally relationship he tried to build at the start with the players, and to go back to his mindset from Colchester and Norwich where he was hard on players, a bit of tough love, that brought him success I’m all for it.

He’s trying to find an identity to our style of play which many wanted and he’s taken the blame for last season.

A couple of pre season games without our strongest 11 playing doesn’t define our season. A month into the season when we’re in the top 6 all this worrying will stop!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:14 - Aug 31 with 2663 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I hope so. It’s an easy ride at this club, it really is. I like the fact he’s ruffling a few feathers.

You either step up or step aside this year after last years pathetic attempt all round, players and coaches.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:20 - Aug 31 with 2646 viewsskyblue23

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:14 - Aug 31 by TheTrueBlue1878

I hope so. It’s an easy ride at this club, it really is. I like the fact he’s ruffling a few feathers.

You either step up or step aside this year after last years pathetic attempt all round, players and coaches.

Exactly my point! Something has to change, and the 5 year deal means it’s not going to be Lambert at this point, so a change in his style I’m all for!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:59 - Aug 31 with 2511 viewsDublinBlue84

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:14 - Aug 31 by TheTrueBlue1878

Remind me, how did things go when Keane and Hurst ruffled the feathers?

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:01 - Aug 31 with 2501 viewsDarth_Koont

Of course, it ultimately only matters on the pitch and on the league table. That's where any change needs to happen so small crumbs of comfort like a stable formation are just that.

Also on a general point, do we know if this is a change in management style or even if this isn't just players reacting to a relegation, a poor season and now the League One cap? It might well feel that their careers are going in the wrong direction (financially and playing ambitions) hence feathers are pre-ruffled. I'm sure a few of them they think a change of manager is about the only thing that can change to reverse that direction of travel.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either results aren't good enough which makes his player management style academic, results are good enough and the rumblings die down or results are good enough and the rumblings continue. The latter would point at a longer-term management problem that needs to be addressed in its own right.

Pronouns: He/Him

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:13 - Aug 31 with 2444 viewsskyblue23

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 08:59 - Aug 31 by DublinBlue84

Remind me, how did things go when Keane and Hurst ruffled the feathers?

Oh, so every manager who has ruffled a few feathers are of the same ilk as Keane and Hurst.

Seem to remember Pep ruffling a few feathers telling Joe Hart he wasn’t good enough, I’m surprised he’s not out of a job looking for something in league 2 by now!

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:16 - Aug 31 with 2433 viewsOldsmoker

We need to be vigilant.
When we're top of the League, there may well be a few TWTDers who claim "Lamberts doing a great Job. I always said he was the man for the job".
We need to check their posting history so we can "out" the fibbers.
Of course, I have never been in the Lambert Out Camp.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:21 - Aug 31 with 2399 viewsGuthrum

If he could see that was the problem, why did he not "ruffle a few feathers" at any point during the last 22 months? Perhaps we might have avoided relegation, or achieved promotion at the first attempt.

Given his level of experience, how come he's only just spotted this, if it was such a glaring issue?

Why is he only now trying to find "an identity to our style of play"?

Needs to start producing success on the pitch, otherwise this is all irrelevant.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:22 - Aug 31 with 2393 viewsHorsham

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:01 - Aug 31 by Darth_Koont

Of course, it ultimately only matters on the pitch and on the league table. That's where any change needs to happen so small crumbs of comfort like a stable formation are just that.

Also on a general point, do we know if this is a change in management style or even if this isn't just players reacting to a relegation, a poor season and now the League One cap? It might well feel that their careers are going in the wrong direction (financially and playing ambitions) hence feathers are pre-ruffled. I'm sure a few of them they think a change of manager is about the only thing that can change to reverse that direction of travel.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either results aren't good enough which makes his player management style academic, results are good enough and the rumblings die down or results are good enough and the rumblings continue. The latter would point at a longer-term management problem that needs to be addressed in its own right.

It’s a tough season ahead. So many players out of contract at the end of it, so many U21 will be over 21 for next season and a reduced squad size to 20 coming up all adds up to a massive churn and many many players leaving this summer. Unless promoted players will have to accept smaller contracts to stay and anyone worth a championship contract will want out due to their earnings being capped by the cap. The club needs to get promoted but plan for not being promoted and the inevitable fall out to follow. I’m not sure how a workplace where it’s almost guaranteed at least half the staff will be gone in 9 months keeps moral high. I’m sure the club should be identifying the players to carry us forward and circle the wagons around them. Those on the outside are going to be unhappy, and stories will come out. Really need good strong management to use these challenges to motivate the squad...
Login to get fewer ads

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:23 - Aug 31 with 2385 viewsPJH

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:16 - Aug 31 by Oldsmoker

We need to be vigilant.
When we're top of the League, there may well be a few TWTDers who claim "Lamberts doing a great Job. I always said he was the man for the job".
We need to check their posting history so we can "out" the fibbers.
Of course, I have never been in the Lambert Out Camp.

When we were top of the league he was doing the job that was expected of him given the resources that he had having failed to do the job very well in his thirty odd games the previous season.

It was remarkable that he still had just about everyone behind him at the end of the relegation season because there was never a really serious attempt made to avoid the drop.

The expectation for most was an immediate return and in the early part of the season it looked very likely and almost certain so at that particular point he WAS doing as good a job as could be done.

Since then......
I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:32 - Aug 31 with 2337 viewsOldsmoker

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:23 - Aug 31 by PJH

When we were top of the league he was doing the job that was expected of him given the resources that he had having failed to do the job very well in his thirty odd games the previous season.

It was remarkable that he still had just about everyone behind him at the end of the relegation season because there was never a really serious attempt made to avoid the drop.

The expectation for most was an immediate return and in the early part of the season it looked very likely and almost certain so at that particular point he WAS doing as good a job as could be done.

Since then......

I'm not sure if I'm a hypocritical cynic or a cynical hypocrite.
I'm one or the other (or both).
Watch my future posts as you may have cause to call me "a flippin' liar".

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:33 - Aug 31 with 2336 viewsHerbivore

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:13 - Aug 31 by skyblue23

Oh, so every manager who has ruffled a few feathers are of the same ilk as Keane and Hurst.

Seem to remember Pep ruffling a few feathers telling Joe Hart he wasn’t good enough, I’m surprised he’s not out of a job looking for something in league 2 by now!

The thing is that Pep is a good manager. He has credibility and gets people on board with his footballing philosophy. Not everyone will fit with it but he still handles things respectfully. Lambert has and does none of those things. He has literally nothing going for him as a manager. It's staggering he's still in a job.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:35 - Aug 31 with 2316 viewsDubtractor

What?!

I don't even know where to start with that.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:38 - Aug 31 with 2307 viewsHerbivore

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:35 - Aug 31 by Dubtractor

What?!

Pretty sure this one is a 'comedy' creation.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:45 - Aug 31 with 2284 viewsDarth_Koont

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:22 - Aug 31 by Horsham

It’s a tough season ahead. So many players out of contract at the end of it, so many U21 will be over 21 for next season and a reduced squad size to 20 coming up all adds up to a massive churn and many many players leaving this summer. Unless promoted players will have to accept smaller contracts to stay and anyone worth a championship contract will want out due to their earnings being capped by the cap. The club needs to get promoted but plan for not being promoted and the inevitable fall out to follow. I’m not sure how a workplace where it’s almost guaranteed at least half the staff will be gone in 9 months keeps moral high. I’m sure the club should be identifying the players to carry us forward and circle the wagons around them. Those on the outside are going to be unhappy, and stories will come out. Really need good strong management to use these challenges to motivate the squad...

I'd agree with most of that.

We've clearly brought it on ourselves over the past couple of years but we now just need to reverse the direction of the team, whatever sacrifices and tough decisions that involves.

Luckily, I think our best youngsters do have a very central role to play in all this. But yeah, that might leave a few players on the outside.

Fingers crossed, we get off to a good start as the atmosphere inside and outside the club just feels a little too poisonous at the moment.

Pronouns: He/Him

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:52 - Aug 31 with 2253 viewsPJH

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:32 - Aug 31 by Oldsmoker

I'm not sure if I'm a hypocritical cynic or a cynical hypocrite.
I'm one or the other (or both).
Watch my future posts as you may have cause to call me "a flippin' liar".

I am not calling you anything or intending to do so.

I was just saying that for the first few months of last season PL WAS doing as good a job as it was possible to be doing at that time-it is just before then and since then that is the problem.
I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:58 - Aug 31 with 2227 viewsdavblue

That style of management never gets you anywhere.

It’s now a matter of time to wait for Lambert to get the boot, if we are going to do it in 2 months we may as well make a change now. Absolutely no point in waiting 2 months to sack him.

Evans backing of managers is admirable to a certain extent but he’s so far off knowing the Right time to get rid of a manager.
I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 10:02 - Aug 31 with 2208 viewsmonty_radio

Perhaps Pep's stock was a tad higher?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 10:02 - Aug 31 with 2206 viewsHorsham

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:45 - Aug 31 by Darth_Koont

I'd agree with most of that.

We've clearly brought it on ourselves over the past couple of years but we now just need to reverse the direction of the team, whatever sacrifices and tough decisions that involves.

Luckily, I think our best youngsters do have a very central role to play in all this. But yeah, that might leave a few players on the outside.

Fingers crossed, we get off to a good start as the atmosphere inside and outside the club just feels a little too poisonous at the moment.

A good start will be golden for us this season and that is why I feel especially concerned that pre-season has been so disappointing.

The search for an identity seems to have derailed following some passing out from the back cock ups and that policy abandoned at Cambridge. Has Lambert lost his nerve already? Shame if so, I’d sooner fail standing by some principles than fail abandoning them. Lambert has form for flip flopping on formations, personnel and style and the pronouncement of lessons learned i welcomed, I’m seriously doubting lessons have been learned.

The various social media stuff from Woolfie and the team photo stuff hints at people on the inside making mischief...all is not well.

It’s all a bit of a mess.
I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 10:49 - Aug 31 with 2137 viewsBlueBadger

Incompetent he might be, but I don't think even Lambert is incompetent enough to adopt the Hurst model of motivation.

If only because he's too much of a David-Brent-needs-people-to-like-him character.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 11:07 - Aug 31 with 2097 viewsIpswichKnight

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 10:49 - Aug 31 by BlueBadger

Incompetent he might be, but I don't think even Lambert is incompetent enough to adopt the Hurst model of motivation.

If only because he's too much of a David-Brent-needs-people-to-like-him character.

Also I don't think Lambert's assistants are anywhere near the level of Doig.
I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 11:14 - Aug 31 with 2079 viewsBlueBadger

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 11:07 - Aug 31 by IpswichKnight

Also I don't think Lambert's assistants are anywhere near the level of Doig.

They're clearly rubbish but a different flavour of rubbish to Mr Bagshaw.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 11:15 - Aug 31 with 2080 viewsBlueBadger

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 09:35 - Aug 31 by Dubtractor

What?!

Here Dubbers, was it you a few weeks ago who was begging up Kulk. I am LOVING the new album.

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 11:45 - Aug 31 with 2038 viewspatrickswell

I’m not a massive Lambert fan on 10:02 - Aug 31 by Horsham

A good start will be golden for us this season and that is why I feel especially concerned that pre-season has been so disappointing.

The search for an identity seems to have derailed following some passing out from the back cock ups and that policy abandoned at Cambridge. Has Lambert lost his nerve already? Shame if so, I’d sooner fail standing by some principles than fail abandoning them. Lambert has form for flip flopping on formations, personnel and style and the pronouncement of lessons learned i welcomed, I’m seriously doubting lessons have been learned.

The various social media stuff from Woolfie and the team photo stuff hints at people on the inside making mischief...all is not well.

It’s all a bit of a mess.

I don’t think Lambert has lost his nerve. I'd have been Concerned if the side which started vs West Ham had started at Cambridge and were playing in that style, but he put out a lot of players who have not featured much in pre-season as starters on Saturday and I think they are still looking to get up to speed.
Judging from Taylor’s comments after the game, there was disappointment that they hadn’t seemingly maintained the style worked on in the first three fixtures, two of which were against superior opposition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024