Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Disappointed by preseason 18:44 - Aug 31 with 1792 viewsAlexwaddell

My impression, thus far, based on team selections in all games is that Lambert after 2 years does not have a clue what his first 11 should be. Fair enough establishing a 4 3 3 formation and playing out from the back...but do we have the ball playing defence to do that? I would rather than "giving everyone a game" that our efforts should be on establishing a settled side, round pegs in round holes, play our best 11, others get in when they can match the first team players performances...not because they need a game.
The one highlight for me was the midfield trio, Downes, Dozzell and Bishop. I have a dread of this year being like last year with rotation being the norm.
Our squad is too big, arguably too expensive, and needs to be reduced. Too many journeymen reducing the chances of our own academy players, too many players whose best days are behind them and I was initially a Lambert fan, but if there is no improvement in the first few months he should be replaced before Christmas no matter what compensation has to be paid. (Honest pre season thoughts)

Poll: What was today?

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:35 - Aug 31 with 1687 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm not going to defend Lambert's tenure as it's been crap and he has struggled to produce anything like an effective first team from the resources.

But this is a Covid-shortened pre-season where he's had to get a bloated squad (largely his fault again) up to pace in sheer match fitness. I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt surrounding pre-season performances and results.

As you say, we've got good young players and I hope to see that team emerge as we get into the competitive games. I also think it's a good sign that we've largely played as a 4-3-3 which seems to make the best use of our main squad.

He needs to be replaced if we're off the pace after 10 league games. Maybe fewer if we're waaay off the pace.

If we'd won every game in pre-season, I'd still think the same.

Pronouns: He/Him

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:36 - Aug 31 with 1688 viewsbackwaywhen

Have to agree with above , Lambert does mess with the starting eleven too often , he surely must know his first choice starters by now , if he doesn’t then can be little hope going forward , personally I don’t think he is up to the job without his old sidekick Culverhouse..... again hope I’m wrong .COYBs
Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:39 - Aug 31 with 1673 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:36 - Aug 31 by backwaywhen

Have to agree with above , Lambert does mess with the starting eleven too often , he surely must know his first choice starters by now , if he doesn’t then can be little hope going forward , personally I don’t think he is up to the job without his old sidekick Culverhouse..... again hope I’m wrong .COYBs

When exactly has any team, from any league, in any county played their first choice 11 in any of their pre season fixtures.

I'm no Lambert fan, but these are the threads that are utter paranoid bull shoit.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 19:39]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Really Disappointed by preseason on 20:51 - Aug 31 with 1557 viewshector_clifford

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:39 - Aug 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

When exactly has any team, from any league, in any county played their first choice 11 in any of their pre season fixtures.

I'm no Lambert fan, but these are the threads that are utter paranoid bull shoit.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 19:39]

I can see what he was doing against Cambridge.
I think he has his starting 11, and the players picked on Saturday were challenged to make him change his mind ( as per Taylor's comments afterwards, where he said the players have made it easier for the manager )

I think the starting 11 for next Saturday was going to be this, unless anyone played well against Cambridge.

Cornell or Holy ( I won't attempt to guess how he picks the keeper)

Vincent Young. ............Nsiala................Chambers................Ward

..................................................Dozzell...............................................

............................Bishop..............................Downes...........................

Edwards....................................................................................Sears

......................................Norwood or Hawkins...................................

.............................(whoever did the best in their 45 mins on Saturday)

I'm guessing Woolfenden being in this position, where he has to prove himself, to get in the side, has caused more trouble.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Really Disappointed by preseason on 21:25 - Aug 31 with 1492 viewsArnieM

Really Disappointed by preseason on 20:51 - Aug 31 by hector_clifford

I think he has his starting 11, and the players picked on Saturday were challenged to make him change his mind ( as per Taylor's comments afterwards, where he said the players have made it easier for the manager )

I think the starting 11 for next Saturday was going to be this, unless anyone played well against Cambridge.

..................................................Dozzell...............................................

............................Bishop..............................Downes...........................

Edwards....................................................................................Sears

......................................Norwood or Hawkins...................................

.............................(whoever did the best in their 45 mins on Saturday)

I'm guessing Woolfenden being in this position, where he has to prove himself, to get in the side, has caused more trouble.

Since when has a Dozzell been a holding MF?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Really Disappointed by preseason on 21:29 - Aug 31 with 1483 viewshector_clifford

Really Disappointed by preseason on 21:25 - Aug 31 by ArnieM

Since when has a Dozzell been a holding MF?

I'm sure I've heard it or read it somewhere, that that is where he is being lined up to play. Apologies if I'm wrong.
I think he could be good there, with his range of passing.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Really Disappointed by preseason on 21:29 - Aug 31 with 1483 viewsGarv

A lot of people have said it's not necessarily a problem not having a best XI. It probably helps, but how many of our players have really warranted being labelled a nailed on starter? The identity and general idea of style is important, obviously more important is turning it into points.

Teams selected this pre season isn't a great indicator though is it? We've had to get all players game time after 5 months off, while also accounting for fitness issues with key players like Norwood and Jackson (and perhaps less key players like Nolan, Skuse, Edwards etc) as well as new signings who haven't trained like Hawkins.

You can't dismiss giving squad players minutes as 'giving everyone a game'. If Woolfenden tears a hammy or does an ACL on the first day, like it or not either Nsiala or Wilson (or maybe our new target man striker) will come in to partner LC.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Really Disappointed by preseason on 21:33 - Aug 31 with 1461 viewsGarv

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:35 - Aug 31 by Darth_Koont

I'm not going to defend Lambert's tenure as it's been crap and he has struggled to produce anything like an effective first team from the resources.

But this is a Covid-shortened pre-season where he's had to get a bloated squad (largely his fault again) up to pace in sheer match fitness. I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt surrounding pre-season performances and results.

As you say, we've got good young players and I hope to see that team emerge as we get into the competitive games. I also think it's a good sign that we've largely played as a 4-3-3 which seems to make the best use of our main squad.

He needs to be replaced if we're off the pace after 10 league games. Maybe fewer if we're waaay off the pace.

If we'd won every game in pre-season, I'd still think the same.

Not necessarily disagreeing but in what way do you blame Lambert for the bloated squad that we have? In terms of adding to it or not moving players on?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Really Disappointed by preseason on 01:47 - Sep 1 with 1313 viewsIllinoisblue

Going into a new season hoping your manager and half the squad weren’t there is not ideal preparation, it’s true

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Really Disappointed by preseason (n/t) on 03:41 - Sep 1 with 1268 viewsTowen_en

Really Disappointed by preseason on 20:51 - Aug 31 by hector_clifford

I think you're right about Taylor's comments about some players making his mind up. Just hope he doesn't mean Woolfie based on everything that has gone on in the last week.

Huws could be one they are losing patience with? Judge too and probably Donacien due to PL's dislike of him
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 3:41]
Really Disappointed by preseason on 09:49 - Sep 1 with 1026 viewsBlueBadger

Really Disappointed by preseason on 19:36 - Aug 31 by backwaywhen

The evidence of the past two years suggests he hasn't got a f*cking clue what his best XI is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024