Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee 13:47 - Sep 1 with 1334 viewstractorboy1978

Realistically we are in a poor position. It is a matter of when he goes and we are in "get the best fee we can" territory. Is standing in the way of a player that has a fantastic opportunity at a PL club the look we want when it comes to convincing other promising youngsters to commit to their future here?
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 13:48 - Sep 1 with 1326 viewsuefacup81

All depends on the bigger picture.

Look at Norwich and Jamal Lewis - they felt that they could stand firm in the fact of the champions of England/Europe/The World and not damage their prospects of getting young talent to commit.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 13:58 - Sep 1 with 1268 viewsAlexGreen

Agree he's going to go, but with two years left on his contract we don't have to lose him now. Financially speaking, if he were to leave at the end of his contract I think we'd still be due a tribunal fee for him, and seeings they've only offered 2 million now the worst we're likely to lose if he stays and goes at the end of his contract would be 1 million-ish.

It's not like we can reinvest it anyway - I say we do a Darren Bent with him and try and get him to agree to stay one more year with the promise that he can move on next summer, hopefully with a league one medal under his belt.

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 14:00 - Sep 1 with 1253 viewsjayessess

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 13:48 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

All depends on the bigger picture.

Look at Norwich and Jamal Lewis - they felt that they could stand firm in the fact of the champions of England/Europe/The World and not damage their prospects of getting young talent to commit.

Who are these kids we are potentially signing who'll be put off? If you told most of our kids they could have Downes' career to date, they'd bite your hand off.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 15:36 - Sep 1 with 1163 viewstractorboy1978

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 14:00 - Sep 1 by jayessess

Who are these kids we are potentially signing who'll be put off? If you told most of our kids they could have Downes' career to date, they'd bite your hand off.

I’m talking about the likes of Chirewa, Armin etc that are coming through our academy and have already been linked with Prem clubs.
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 15:48 - Sep 1 with 1147 viewsuefacup81

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 15:36 - Sep 1 by tractorboy1978

I’m talking about the likes of Chirewa, Armin etc that are coming through our academy and have already been linked with Prem clubs.

The whole thing is a balancing act.

It's not necessarily a case of demonstrating to the kids that we won't stand in their way regardless, more of saying we'll allow them to move on when the time is right, and encouraging them to trust the club to be a good judge of that timing.

A case in point to those kids who'll say "a Prem club wants me, and I want to go" is that of a certain Kundai Benyu...

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:25 - Sep 1 with 1094 viewstractorboy1978

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 15:48 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

The whole thing is a balancing act.

It's not necessarily a case of demonstrating to the kids that we won't stand in their way regardless, more of saying we'll allow them to move on when the time is right, and encouraging them to trust the club to be a good judge of that timing.

A case in point to those kids who'll say "a Prem club wants me, and I want to go" is that of a certain Kundai Benyu...

Downes is fully ready to go now.
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:27 - Sep 1 with 1084 viewsuefacup81

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:25 - Sep 1 by tractorboy1978

Downes is fully ready to go now.

Define 'ready to go'...

I would suggest that going off to warm the bench of a lower-PL side, or just to be shipped out on loan to the Championship doesn't quite fulfil that criteria.

At present he'll only go if the valuation is right.

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:32 - Sep 1 with 1076 viewsITFC_Forever

One aspect I just thought of.... usually when a club rejects a bid from another club and the player stays, the player then gets a nice new contract.

Or, when a buying club bids £10m (for example), and the selling club rejects it, the player says "if you think I'm worth that, then increase my wages to match that valuation".

With the L1 / L2 salary cap, we can't do that. So we're snookered on that one as well.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:33 - Sep 1 with 1074 viewstractorboy1978

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:27 - Sep 1 by uefacup81

Define 'ready to go'...

I would suggest that going off to warm the bench of a lower-PL side, or just to be shipped out on loan to the Championship doesn't quite fulfil that criteria.

At present he'll only go if the valuation is right.

I'm sure for him, spending a season playing at a Championship side is far better for his development than playing in L1, yes.

He was the best player on the park in the first half against West Ham. Pre season? Yes. But I think he's capable of playing a role for a PL club.
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 18:17 - Sep 1 with 1025 viewsjayessess

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 15:36 - Sep 1 by tractorboy1978

Realistically if they think going to a bigger club directly is going to result in better careers for them, they'll go. All Ipswich can offer them is the promise of a pathway to the first team and good coaching. I don't see how "we're a soft touch in the transfer market" would come into the argument and, as a policy, would render the academy more or less a waste of our time, in any case.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 18:18]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 19:48 - Sep 1 with 975 viewsPhilTWTD

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 17:32 - Sep 1 by ITFC_Forever

One aspect I just thought of.... usually when a club rejects a bid from another club and the player stays, the player then gets a nice new contract.

Or, when a buying club bids £10m (for example), and the selling club rejects it, the player says "if you think I'm worth that, then increase my wages to match that valuation".

With the L1 / L2 salary cap, we can't do that. So we're snookered on that one as well.

Not in this instance as he's treated as if he's under-21 (even though he isn't).
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 07:16 - Sep 2 with 818 viewsHarlestonblue

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 13:58 - Sep 1 by AlexGreen

Agree he's going to go, but with two years left on his contract we don't have to lose him now. Financially speaking, if he were to leave at the end of his contract I think we'd still be due a tribunal fee for him, and seeings they've only offered 2 million now the worst we're likely to lose if he stays and goes at the end of his contract would be 1 million-ish.

It's not like we can reinvest it anyway - I say we do a Darren Bent with him and try and get him to agree to stay one more year with the promise that he can move on next summer, hopefully with a league one medal under his belt.

It has now come to light that the second bid was only £1.6 million and therefore some way short of £2million. Peanuts for a player of his potential.
Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 13:44 - Sep 2 with 713 viewsHARRY10

Whilst we shouldn't get bent over on the Downes fee on 07:16 - Sep 2 by Harlestonblue

It has now come to light that the second bid was only £1.6 million and therefore some way short of £2million. Peanuts for a player of his potential.

'Potential'

and that's what it is at the moment, and why the fee being quoted is not the one fans think he is worth

it is a big enough leap to a good Championship team, never mind the PL and for £8m CP can get a proven foreign player who will be ready to play in the PL

look at Dozzel, a couple of years back there was talk of an £8m move to Liverpool, yet he still struggles to be first choice with us

some fans need to be a bit more realistic on both the standard, and the price players from L1 will fetch
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024