Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mysterious Missing Managers 14:02 - Sep 2 with 4112 viewsArnoldMoorhen

All this talk of managers got me thinking about managers of the past who seemed to be doing, or have done, a good job, then they seemingly disappeared and weren't considered again.

I mean, I could Google, but it might take an age to find out, and the TWTD hive mind might know, why on earth weren't the following offered jobs? Or did they choose to retire?

I'll start with:

David O'Leary

Brian Little

Alan Curbishley
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:07 - Sep 2 with 2121 viewshype313

O'Leary is at Arsenal in some capacity, Little went through the leagues, and ended up at Jersey and Curbishley never seemed to get the appetite back after his battles in court with West Ham (Which he walked away with a decent sum)

Gary Megson's the one we all need to make sure has officially retired.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:27 - Sep 2 with 2077 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:07 - Sep 2 by hype313

O'Leary is at Arsenal in some capacity, Little went through the leagues, and ended up at Jersey and Curbishley never seemed to get the appetite back after his battles in court with West Ham (Which he walked away with a decent sum)

Gary Megson's the one we all need to make sure has officially retired.

Thank you.

Do you know why O'Leary didn't continue in management? He did a good job at Leeds, iirc.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:34 - Sep 2 with 2050 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:27 - Sep 2 by ArnoldMoorhen

Thank you.

Do you know why O'Leary didn't continue in management? He did a good job at Leeds, iirc.

Didn't he manage Villa after that?

When he was at Leeds I think him and Ridsdale believed their own hype too much, and they gambled to whole future of Leeds on getting into the Champions League. They lost their gamble and destroyed the club in the process.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:35 - Sep 2 with 2046 viewsHerbivore

I always thought Trevor Francis disappeared from management fairly abruptly and without spending several years on the one to two year merry-go-round of ever decreasing returns.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:36 - Sep 2 with 2044 viewsPique

I’d add O’Leary’s predecessor at Leeds to that list: George Graham.

He’s 75 now, but he was only 56 when Spurs sacked him and never managed since, despite a trophy laden managerial career.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:37 - Sep 2 with 2032 viewsPique

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:35 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

I always thought Trevor Francis disappeared from management fairly abruptly and without spending several years on the one to two year merry-go-round of ever decreasing returns.

Yeah, he did well at Sheffield Wednesday and then vanished.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:38 - Sep 2 with 2023 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:37 - Sep 2 by Pique

Yeah, he did well at Sheffield Wednesday and then vanished.

...to Birmingham.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:40 - Sep 2 with 2007 viewsHerbivore

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:38 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

...to Birmingham.

Where he also did a pretty good job overall. I think he was under 50 when he left his last managerial job.

Login to get fewer ads

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:42 - Sep 2 with 1999 viewsPique

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:38 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

...to Birmingham.

Lol, I’d completely forgotten his Birmingham stint.

Gerry Francis is another one who seemed to disappear - his QPR team was quite impressive and I thought he did OK at Spurs (although clearly my memory is on the blink).
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:47 - Sep 2 with 1968 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:42 - Sep 2 by Pique

Gerry Francis is another one who seemed to disappear - his QPR team was quite impressive and I thought he did OK at Spurs (although clearly my memory is on the blink).

Seem to recall he got replaced by Steve Bruce who was given a big transfer budget.

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:49 - Sep 2 with 1964 viewsPique

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:47 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seem to recall he got replaced by Steve Bruce who was given a big transfer budget.

Yes - I think Francis actually signed Bruce to play for a season didn’t he?
Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:55 - Sep 2 with 1939 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:49 - Sep 2 by Pique

Yes - I think Francis actually signed Bruce to play for a season didn’t he?

Yes, I think you're right. Big signing at the time.

I might be wrong about Bruce replacing Francis, it maybe been Fry that he replaced.

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:59 - Sep 2 with 1929 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Yes. He's a very good example.

I've done some Wikipediaing now. Reading Gerry Francis' wiki, he did better with Spurs than he did with lower division clubs, in the main, and settled back into a number 2 role.

O'Leary wrote a book, Leeds United on Trial, about the Bowyer/Woodcote etc assault, and this alienated fans who accused him of cashing in. Ridsdale was responsible for the money side of things at Leeds. Although O'Leary had them finishing never lower than 5th, Ridsdale had budgeted for Champions League finishes.

O'Leary then did a decent job at Villa. In his final season things had faded, but they still retained Prem status. Not enough for deadly Doug Ellis.

A waste of a good manager who promoted and developed youth, in my opinion.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:06 - Sep 2 with 1910 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:59 - Sep 2 by ArnoldMoorhen

Yes. He's a very good example.

I've done some Wikipediaing now. Reading Gerry Francis' wiki, he did better with Spurs than he did with lower division clubs, in the main, and settled back into a number 2 role.

O'Leary wrote a book, Leeds United on Trial, about the Bowyer/Woodcote etc assault, and this alienated fans who accused him of cashing in. Ridsdale was responsible for the money side of things at Leeds. Although O'Leary had them finishing never lower than 5th, Ridsdale had budgeted for Champions League finishes.

O'Leary then did a decent job at Villa. In his final season things had faded, but they still retained Prem status. Not enough for deadly Doug Ellis.

A waste of a good manager who promoted and developed youth, in my opinion.

To be fair, Oleary probably spent as much as anyone else during that period. So top 5 was not above expectations.

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:14 - Sep 2 with 1898 viewsPique

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:06 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

To be fair, Oleary probably spent as much as anyone else during that period. So top 5 was not above expectations.

Not that he was a top, top manager, but Frank Clark at Forest is one I always find a bit odd. Takes over from Clough (not easy), gets them promoted first time, buys Collymore, Bryan Roy, turns Steve Stone into an England player, finishes third in their first season back in the Premiership, gets to the quarter finals (I think) of the UEFA Cup the next year...and that’s it. Think he might have had a brief stint at Man City, then vanished.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:15 - Sep 2 with 1889 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:36 - Sep 2 by Pique

He’s 75 now, but he was only 56 when Spurs sacked him and never managed since, despite a trophy laden managerial career.

Graham was found guilty of receiving illegal payments whilst at Arsenal. Then bailed on Leeds (where he worked with Ridsdale) when Spurs came in. Spurs new owners sacked him for leaking information, which he denied.

He got a job with Sky. So it looks like it was a combination of easy media money for him and Boards of other clubs being wary.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:20 - Sep 2 with 1870 viewsIllinoisblue

John Gregory. Paul Jewell.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:35 - Sep 2 with 1839 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Mysterious Missing Managers on 14:36 - Sep 2 by Pique

Wasnt the issue with Graham some brown envelopes.... Muxh like El Tel who vanished after England despite delivering our best Tournament since Robson... no one cane close since?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:38 - Sep 2 with 1821 viewsBLUEBEAT

Gerry Francis left the spotlight due to hair shaming

Poll: W or W

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:43 - Sep 2 with 1815 viewsFtnfwest

it always used to be the case that the majority of players who left us in the 'glory years' of the mid/late 70's - early 80's never did a huge amount elsewhere (or at least not exceed what they did here with one or two exceptions - Jonno/Muhren) but since Bobby in terms of managers they've all been pretty dire as well since leaving haven't they? Apart from MM who went on to take Gibraltar apart of course.
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:44 - Sep 2 with 1805 viewsHerbivore

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:43 - Sep 2 by Ftnfwest

it always used to be the case that the majority of players who left us in the 'glory years' of the mid/late 70's - early 80's never did a huge amount elsewhere (or at least not exceed what they did here with one or two exceptions - Jonno/Muhren) but since Bobby in terms of managers they've all been pretty dire as well since leaving haven't they? Apart from MM who went on to take Gibraltar apart of course.

Burley did pretty well at Saints, Hearts and Derby. Never quite reached the heights he did with us but did well enough in those jobs.

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:45 - Sep 2 with 1808 viewsFtnfwest

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:44 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Burley did pretty well at Saints, Hearts and Derby. Never quite reached the heights he did with us but did well enough in those jobs.

and i guess managed the jocks no worse than anyone else!
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:48 - Sep 2 with 1787 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pochettino's not gone anywhere since leaving Spurs nearly a year ago.

Sign him up Marcus!!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:49 - Sep 2 with 1790 viewsAce_High1

Not quite the same level and he is back now but Andre Villas -Boas? Seemed to ride off this wave of being Mourinho Mk II and got both the Chelsea and Tottenham jobs with no really credentials?

Another amusing one was Avram Grant - how or why he got both the Chelsea and West Ham jobs - wow!
Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:54 - Sep 2 with 1775 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Mysterious Missing Managers on 15:49 - Sep 2 by Ace_High1

Not quite the same level and he is back now but Andre Villas -Boas? Seemed to ride off this wave of being Mourinho Mk II and got both the Chelsea and Tottenham jobs with no really credentials?

Another amusing one was Avram Grant - how or why he got both the Chelsea and West Ham jobs - wow!

Boas has kicked around, was in Russia for a while.... poss back in Portugal now?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024