Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1978 Cup Semi-Final 19:06 - Sep 2 with 2249 viewslongtimefan

Full match coverage of the 1978 Cup Semi-Final against WBA. This may not be new to folks but I’ve never seen this footage before. I’d forgotten how nervous the last 15 minutes were! I’d also forgotten we were “blessed” with Clive Thomas for this match after his previous SF performance.

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 19:53 - Sep 2 with 2104 viewsPJH

A truly great day in the day's when winning an F.A. Cup Semi- Final gave you the added thrill of knowing that you were going to Wembley.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:04 - Sep 2 with 2077 viewshammo56

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 19:53 - Sep 2 by PJH

A truly great day in the day's when winning an F.A. Cup Semi- Final gave you the added thrill of knowing that you were going to Wembley.

Spot on. Will never forget how I felt that day walking out of Highbury and knowing I was going to see my team in the FA Cup final especially after being at Stamford Bridge in 75.
In some ways I enjoyed the semi-final victory against West Brom more than the win over Arsenal as I had serious doubts that we would win the semi but always believed we would win the final.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:17 - Sep 2 with 2038 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:04 - Sep 2 by hammo56

Spot on. Will never forget how I felt that day walking out of Highbury and knowing I was going to see my team in the FA Cup final especially after being at Stamford Bridge in 75.
In some ways I enjoyed the semi-final victory against West Brom more than the win over Arsenal as I had serious doubts that we would win the semi but always believed we would win the final.

I went to the West Ham SF at Villa Park but was stopped from going to the replay as it was a school night, so didn’t experience that disappointment first hand. It was bad enough listening on the radio though! I’m amazed that after that match they gave the WBA SF to Clive Thomas as well.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:19 - Sep 2 with 2034 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:17 - Sep 2 by longtimefan

I went to the West Ham SF at Villa Park but was stopped from going to the replay as it was a school night, so didn’t experience that disappointment first hand. It was bad enough listening on the radio though! I’m amazed that after that match they gave the WBA SF to Clive Thomas as well.

I didn't go to Stamford Bridge either despite having a ticket because my boss would not let me leave work early enough to get there.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:23 - Sep 2 with 2018 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:19 - Sep 2 by PJH

I didn't go to Stamford Bridge either despite having a ticket because my boss would not let me leave work early enough to get there.

Crikey, what a bar steward.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:25 - Sep 2 with 2013 viewsChrisd

Certainly feels Wembley has lost its sparkle due to the fact it’s just become so accessible for various competitions. The FA Cup semi final idea just degrades the whole final showpiece in my view. Wembley should be for finals, not for any cup tie to line the FA’s coffers. Wish it would go back to those times when the semi finals were played at neutral venues, geographical to those competing. We’ve got some terrific football stadia in this country that could host and give the competition its magic back.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 20:48]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:26 - Sep 2 with 2009 viewsazuremerlangus

Makes a nice change to see a Lambert who is popular.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:28 - Sep 2 with 2001 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:23 - Sep 2 by longtimefan

Crikey, what a bar steward.

Yes, can't remember exactly why he wouldn't.

Think replay tickets went on sale on the day after the game at Villa Park so I got a match and coach ticket. There must have been some reason why I did not just book the day off but I think I assumed that I would be allowed to leave early enough-can't remember.
Don't know where the ticket is either.
Login to get fewer ads

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:29 - Sep 2 with 1997 viewsPendejo

We ( father, step mother, step brother and myself) were at the back left corner of the clock end, step brother missed first goal as he fell off his stool (stop sniggering! He had a bespoke blue and white stool built by his grand father, think I had a milk crate)

Seem to recall minor issues with the locals afterwards...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:36 - Sep 2 with 1974 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:29 - Sep 2 by Pendejo

We ( father, step mother, step brother and myself) were at the back left corner of the clock end, step brother missed first goal as he fell off his stool (stop sniggering! He had a bespoke blue and white stool built by his grand father, think I had a milk crate)

I know I went by special train to Highbury.

I have it in my head that we had a pint or two in The Sporting Farmer (which became Drum and Monkey) before going to Ipswich station.

In the ground we were near the back and pretty much central-the moment that Johnny Wark scored and we KNEW we were there was pretty special.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:43 - Sep 2 with 1947 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:29 - Sep 2 by Pendejo

I went to the SF with my Dad, Mum and sister but was the only one with sufficient vouchers to get a ticket for the final. We went by car to Cockfosters, then tube. I recall it was a nightmare getting tube afterwards but don’t actually recall any trouble.

Edit: Actually I remember now that Dad had planned on parking at Cockfosters but the car park was full and we ended up at Oakwood instead.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 20:47]
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:50 - Sep 2 with 1917 viewshammo56

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:19 - Sep 2 by PJH

I had only started a new job a couple of weeks before the game and thought there was no chance of the boss letting me have the time off. However, he was a Town fan and said it was ok.
Remember going into the office the morning after the game feeling absolutely gutted and one of the girls whistling I’m forever blowing bubbles. Despite that I ended up marrying her and we still laugh about it today.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:50 - Sep 2 with 1916 viewsPendejo

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 20:36 - Sep 2 by PJH

I know I went by special train to Highbury.

I have it in my head that we had a pint or two in The Sporting Farmer (which became Drum and Monkey) before going to Ipswich station.

In the ground we were near the back and pretty much central-the moment that Johnny Wark scored and we KNEW we were there was pretty special.

I just got goose bumps for that last paragraph. TWTD

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:04 - Sep 2 with 1886 viewsFtnfwest

Except I didn’t, couldn’t get a ticket after going to Millwall and Highbury! Still - would have settled for that.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 21:04]
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:08 - Sep 2 with 1863 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:04 - Sep 2 by Ftnfwest

Except I didn’t, couldn’t get a ticket after going to Millwall and Highbury! Still - would have settled for that.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 21:04]

I can't remember what voucher system was used for ticket entitlement.

I did not go to Cardiff in the 3rd round but went to Bristol Rovers, Millwall and Highbury but, as I say, I can't remember how you qualified for a ticket.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:14 - Sep 2 with 1840 viewsFtnfwest

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:08 - Sep 2 by PJH

I did not go to Cardiff in the 3rd round but went to Bristol Rovers, Millwall and Highbury but, as I say, I can't remember how you qualified for a ticket.

I didn’t go to enough games for a voucher I don’t think and I couldn’t queue as didn’t live in Ipswich (cambridge) which in those days was a proper ‘day out’ rather than a quick drive. The old man wouldn’t take me down (Tottenham family basically) so that was that. He did take me to the QF and I went with my uncle to Highbury (was only 12).
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:16 - Sep 2 with 1834 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:08 - Sep 2 by PJH

I seem to remember it was related to certain home league games and nothing to do with other Cup games? But may have that confused.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:21 - Sep 2 with 1811 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:16 - Sep 2 by longtimefan

I seem to remember it was related to certain home league games and nothing to do with other Cup games? But may have that confused.

I think you are probably right because I don't think Bristol or Millwall were ticketed games although obviously the semi final was.

It must have been based on (some) home games.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:23 - Sep 2 with 1806 viewsFixed_It

Correct.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:24 - Sep 2 with 1805 viewslongtimefan

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:21 - Sep 2 by PJH

I think you are probably right because I don't think Bristol or Millwall were ticketed games although obviously the semi final was.

It must have been based on (some) home games.

I seem to remember that they would give out vouchers at random home games. They certainly did some seasons but whether it was the 77/78 season I’m really not sure.
1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:35 - Sep 2 with 1775 viewsWeWereZombies

Not just certain league games but how quickly you got your ticket - guess who looked at the long queue for Man Utd. at home tickets and thought 'I'll come back later...'

I got tickets for the game, but no vouchers. And I had been to every home game that season. So sixteen hours in the queue around Portman Road starting the night before Cup Final tickets went on sale. Quite a relief when I got to the ticket window and got a couple of tickets.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 22:00 - Sep 2 with 1744 viewscressi

1978 Cup Semi-Final on 21:35 - Sep 2 by WeWereZombies

Not just certain league games but how quickly you got your ticket - guess who looked at the long queue for Man Utd. at home tickets and thought 'I'll come back later...'

I got tickets for the game, but no vouchers. And I had been to every home game that season. So sixteen hours in the queue around Portman Road starting the night before Cup Final tickets went on sale. Quite a relief when I got to the ticket window and got a couple of tickets.

Came out of Highbury aged 17 absolutely buzzing Arsenal beat Orient in other semi final at Stamford Bridge on the tube i was chatting to a Arsenal fan bout the coming final. Then on the day after the final in front of a hundred thousand fans and guess who sat opposite me and the old chap on the tube he talked about Brian Talbot they got Talbot and we got the Dutch masters rest is history
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024