Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job hunting 21:27 - Sep 2 with 2007 viewsPendejo

It seems to me that while job adverts, specs etc. are nominally written in English it appears to be some sort of Orwellian New Speak. Really hurts my tiny (and getting smaller) brain reading thru some vacancies.

Recently applied for what I consider to be a menial job*, got thru to a testing stage (timed) one part of which was math. Having worked in insurance, financial services and having run a multi-million pound pay roll and expenses I consider myself good with numbers.... By Christ it was stressful, it took me a few days to work out what one of the questions actually meant!! Anyway, passed it and the English test I now have a telephone interview this Sunday.

*Job earns a lot less than I used to, and maybe I under estimated people currently doing the job. But a job, as they say, is a job and the industry I worked in relied on mass international travel, which is probably dead for the foreseeable future.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 21:31]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Job hunting on 22:17 - Sep 2 with 1914 viewsFixed_It

Maths. It's Maths.

Oh - and good luck!
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 22:18]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Job hunting on 22:55 - Sep 2 with 1857 viewsBlueBadger

Try applying for a job through the NHSjobs website sometime. The forms are apparently simple with the first few pages being 'basic' stuff like personal details, qualifications, etc. And THEn there's the penultimate section. Which is the 'personal statement'. This is the bit they *will* take into account when deciding who to interview above all else.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Job hunting on 22:59 - Sep 2 with 1848 viewsclive_baker

Good luck Pendejo. You’re right it might be less £ than you’ve earned previously but it’s a job, and keeps some money coming in. Plus it could open up other opportunities in the future.

Keep us posted.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Job hunting on 23:14 - Sep 2 with 1825 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good luck Pendejo.

I keep looking, but the jobs are all categorised into boxes that I don't fit. I've never followed a defined, known career path, and have never had a job title I've ever seen on a job site. And then throw in the goeographical constraint of being based in West Wales, there's not a lot out there. I'd quite happily give it all up if I could. Maybe I could but we'venever really looked into it and kids will have to be put through Uni, etc...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Job hunting on 23:26 - Sep 2 with 1808 viewsfactual_blue

Good luck. It's not an easy time to be looking for work.

There'll be loads of Civil Service jobs at the moment.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Job hunting on 05:46 - Sep 3 with 1699 viewssolomon

it can be a very stressful time at the best of times, right now it must be making you quite anxious? Keeping my fingers crossed for you, the very best of luck.
Job hunting on 07:44 - Sep 3 with 1642 viewsgordon

Everyone should be positioning themselves for a move into customs. Will be a massive growth sector over the next couple of years, loads of opportunities, fast-moving environment, plus you could be doing your bit to stop UK plc. going to wall.
Job hunting on 08:49 - Sep 3 with 1566 viewshampstead_blue

Good luck and be persistent.

Back yourself and try and keep your sanity. Nothing makes less sense than job hunting!

Networking is the best way to get a new role. Hit linkedin and see what others are doing to find work.
Loads of great ideas on youtube for networking as well.

Patient, persistence and Yoda like calm to you.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Job hunting on 08:54 - Sep 3 with 1556 viewsPendejo

Job hunting on 22:17 - Sep 2 by Fixed_It

Maths. It's Maths.

Oh - and good luck!
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 22:18]

Yes I always knew it as Maths, but I'd heard it referred as Maths so many times I'd thought that was its newspeak version

uberima fides

Job hunting on 08:54 - Sep 3 with 1556 viewshype313

My pennyworth is to look at companies that you would like to work for and actively target them, send LinkedIn requests to relevant people, drop them a message or even better pick up the phone. Even if they are not recruiting they might see this as an employee they can't turn down.

I have secured two roles in my career by picking up the phone and showing my interest when both companies were not actively recruiting (2001 post 9/11 and 2008 post Credit Crunch)

Better than drowning yourself in thousands of others applications, in these times you have to make yourself stand out.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Job hunting on 08:56 - Sep 3 with 1553 viewsGuthrum

Job hunting on 22:55 - Sep 2 by BlueBadger

Try applying for a job through the NHSjobs website sometime. The forms are apparently simple with the first few pages being 'basic' stuff like personal details, qualifications, etc. And THEn there's the penultimate section. Which is the 'personal statement'. This is the bit they *will* take into account when deciding who to interview above all else.

Always disliked those sorts of things. Hate having to "big myself up", given I know what I'm like and am not comfortable with stretching the truth/outright lying.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Job hunting on 08:58 - Sep 3 with 1546 viewsGuthrum

Hope it goes well. Tho telephone is not the ideal medium, at least now you can make human-to-human contact with the person doing the selection, rather than faceless paper-sifts.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Job hunting on 09:02 - Sep 3 with 1537 viewsBrixtonBlue

Job hunting on 08:54 - Sep 3 by Pendejo

Yes I always knew it as Maths, but I'd heard it referred as Maths so many times I'd thought that was its newspeak version

Through is also through!

Good luck with the interview.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Job hunting on 10:17 - Sep 3 with 1495 viewsPendejo

Job hunting on 08:58 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Hope it goes well. Tho telephone is not the ideal medium, at least now you can make human-to-human contact with the person doing the selection, rather than faceless paper-sifts.

Covid process, would normally be face to face, I had thought it was going to be zoom, but no telephone only.

uberima fides

Job hunting on 10:18 - Sep 3 with 1492 viewsKeno

Job hunting on 10:17 - Sep 3 by Pendejo

Covid process, would normally be face to face, I had thought it was going to be zoom, but no telephone only.

good luck Pendy

I'm sure you'll win them over with your natural charm, urbane wit and good old common sense

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Job hunting on 10:27 - Sep 3 with 1483 viewsPendejo

Job hunting on 08:56 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Always disliked those sorts of things. Hate having to "big myself up", given I know what I'm like and am not comfortable with stretching the truth/outright lying.

Have been using S.T.A.R* which certainly helps concentrate the mind and can usually come up with examples where truth stretching and lying not required.... but whether the reader thinks the examples are relatable to the role...?

The hardest one I've come across was "making a decision" - my job was continuous decision making, and any individually ignore the domino effect that one has on multiple others.

*Situation, Task, Action, Result

uberima fides

Job hunting on 10:46 - Sep 3 with 1465 viewsPendejo

Job hunting on 08:54 - Sep 3 by hype313

My pennyworth is to look at companies that you would like to work for and actively target them, send LinkedIn requests to relevant people, drop them a message or even better pick up the phone. Even if they are not recruiting they might see this as an employee they can't turn down.

I have secured two roles in my career by picking up the phone and showing my interest when both companies were not actively recruiting (2001 post 9/11 and 2008 post Credit Crunch)

Better than drowning yourself in thousands of others applications, in these times you have to make yourself stand out.

I agree with the essence of this, however, part of the problem is me. Because I had a good, quite unique, job I had not looked outside of that company for work in almost a decade, thus am blinkered. Jobs in "my" industry are non-existent in covid world, so career change required.

Whilst my ego says I should be looking at similar salaries jobs, I have been seeking "entry level" / "pathway" jobs as a means of getting in thru the door.

Unfortunately, it seems the level of job for which meets my last o60 seem to require a degree as part of the sift. I left school at 15, had received my 2nd monthly pay packet before 16th birthday, and whilst I hold professional qualifications these do not appear to be recognised anymore.

uberima fides

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024