Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A very sad day in motorsport 17:06 - Sep 3 with 861 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54014306

Sir Frank, what a legend. He'll be sorely missed.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A very sad day in motorsport on 17:17 - Sep 3 with 809 viewsGuthrum

Relieved, in a way, as I thought you were about to say he'd died.

Yes, the man and his iconic team (bet the name is changed at some point) will be a loss to the sport. However, it has also been quite sad to see its decline over the last decade, out-competed by manufacturers and big spenders.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A very sad day in motorsport on 19:29 - Sep 3 with 678 viewssundaze

A very sad day in motorsport on 17:17 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

Yes, the man and his iconic team (bet the name is changed at some point) will be a loss to the sport. However, it has also been quite sad to see its decline over the last decade, out-competed by manufacturers and big spenders.

I am a long time fan of Williams racing, in many ways their demise as a top team mirrors that of Town as a football club.
Apart from a freak win in Spain in 2012, Williams have found it increasingly difficult to be competitive in F1 over the last twenty years, last year winning just one solitary point as a constructor and this year still running at the back of the field.
Sir Frank will be greatly missed, but what he achieved in Motor racing will live on forever.
A very sad day in motorsport on 19:52 - Sep 3 with 620 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Not much of a fan of F1 these days, but in the old days Williams were the team to beat. Frank was a racer, until his untimely accident. He was a brilliant boss and all his former drivers only have good things to say about him. The right time for him to step aside. Happy retirement Frank. You will be missed.
A very sad day in motorsport on 20:18 - Sep 3 with 596 viewsstonojnr

A very sad day in motorsport on 17:17 - Sep 3 by Guthrum

I know people are going to bang on about this decline, and sure when you were the team to beat in the mid 80s & then early to mid 90s, then yes it might seem a big decline to be chasing around at the back, but they were 3rd in the constructors championship in 2014 & 2015 only behind Mercedes, who I think everyone would agree have completely nailed the hybrid era of F1, and Ferrari 2014 (look at where they are now) and Red Bull 2015, thats the equivalent this season of McLaren finishing 3rd.

and lets see where Mercedes and Red Bull are in 30 years time,but heres a clue they wont be involved in F1 anymore by then.

so they had a bad year 2018 which compounded 2019, but they seem back on track this year.

the problem with modern F1 is the aero is so complex, if you build a really bad car, get a concept on it wrong, you almost literally arent able to fix it within a season, because the design concept is so interlocked with everything built around the car, thats why Ferrari are knackered now, their car cant get the tyres in the optimum temperature zone to unlock the performance, and it seems like theres almost a squaring exponential curve of the faster you go the better the car works, so the faster you go literally the faster you go and it just ramps up, but if you cant tip it into that sweet spot, you are stuck unable to break into that performance zone and end up seconds off the pace of the cars that can. back in the 90s teams used to use the previous seasons cars, label it a B version for the first few races and their actual new car would turn up at the first of the european races, because they could revise chassis/aero really quickly.

nowadays, apart from Ferrari who would like last years car back, Mercedes are lapping between 1-2 seconds per lap quicker, and the regulations havent radically changed to give them that kind leap forward, thats just them refining the existing design and unlocking speed in the tyre performance window I think, which is why the Racing Point copy is struggling to match the pace.
A very sad day in motorsport on 20:38 - Sep 3 with 573 viewsDarth_Koont

I love the drama and the emotion of the Netflix series but ultimately we're talking money and Williams were literally never at the races.

F1 is the Football Manager of sports with all the genuine interest of polo.

Pronouns: He/Him

A very sad day in motorsport on 05:48 - Sep 4 with 421 viewssolomon

A very sad day in motorsport on 20:38 - Sep 3 by Darth_Koont

I love the drama and the emotion of the Netflix series but ultimately we're talking money and Williams were literally never at the races.

F1 is the Football Manager of sports with all the genuine interest of polo.

All too inevitable. The sport only has the big manufacturers teams interests at heart now, this is a mistake in the long term.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024