Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Balance of the midfield without Downes 11:28 - Sep 4 with 692 viewsHullblue

I’m gutted about the Downes situation because it means I’m unlikely to ever see him, Dozzell and Bishop play together in a midfield three.

I know some people still aren’t convinced by Dozzer but I think he’d be excellent in there next to two fellow academy products who play the same way - especially two mobile ones that are full of running.

With Downes off the natural replacement would be Huws or Skuse, and neither of them give us the legs we need next to Dozzer, IMO. Nolan can run but he would leave a lot for Dozzer to do defensively.

Anyone got any solutions?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 11:30 - Sep 4 with 670 viewsDubtractor

I fear that our midfield without the energy and bite of Downes will be a bit crap, if I'm honest.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 11:32 - Sep 4 with 653 viewsDarth_Koont

Start without Dozzell?

A midfield of Skuse, Huws and Bishop is probably better balanced between attack and defence. Then bring Dozzell on as and when needed.

Pronouns: He/Him

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 11:34 - Sep 4 with 643 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Probably Skuse, Bishop, and one of Nolan, Huws, Judge

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Agreed on 11:36 - Sep 4 with 638 viewsunstableblue

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 11:30 - Sep 4 by Dubtractor

I fear that our midfield without the energy and bite of Downes will be a bit crap, if I'm honest.

one of the fundamental issues Ipswich have faced over the last decade is the lack of a midfielder to grab games, and drive the team forward and on

many time last season Downes showed that pedigree

as much as I like Skuse I can count the number of games on one hand where I left PR thinking 'jesus Skuse was on it'.. yes I get 'but you don't see the off the ball stuff'

huws is probably the next best thing

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 12:15 - Sep 4 with 585 viewsOsborneOneNil

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 11:30 - Sep 4 by Dubtractor

Outrageous when you think we have about 34 midfielders.
Balance of the midfield without Downes on 12:21 - Sep 4 with 568 viewsclive_baker

Keep him?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 12:32 - Sep 4 with 541 viewsIpswichKnight

El-Mizouni could do it but he's obviously in the bad books and will be sent out on Loan to Cambridge again or something equally stupid.
Balance of the midfield without Downes on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 483 viewsHerbivore

If we can't pick a decent, balanced trio with the 400 CMs we have at the club even without Downes then something is badly wrong. Personally I am not overly worried. We're stronger with him than without but if Palace match our valuation we will get by.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 13:11 - Sep 4 with 451 viewsParmigiano

Balance of the midfield without Downes on 12:57 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

If we can't pick a decent, balanced trio with the 400 CMs we have at the club even without Downes then something is badly wrong. Personally I am not overly worried. We're stronger with him than without but if Palace match our valuation we will get by.

I agree. Downes is fantastic and none of us want him to go but midfield is the one area of the squad we can afford to reduce.

I do think Downes leaving would spell trouble for Dozzell though. It's clear that his best position is a deep-lying playmaker but that relies on a midfield three with one of the other players being a box-to-box triple-lunged engine who's as good defensively as offensively (Pirlo had Gattuso, Xabi Alonso had Gerrard, etc...). And after Downes, I'm not sure we have that engine. Nolan possibly but he's not so disciplined in the tracking-back side of midfield.

I expect Lambert will simplify it and go with an anchorman and then two attacking midfielders in a 4-3-3. Probably Skuse behind Huws and Bishop.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024