Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Helluva statement from XR... 00:38 - Sep 5 with 24464 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/04/extinction-rebellion-block-r

In before the right wing miss the point of the protest to incorrectly rant about cancel culture.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Helluva statement from XR... on 01:38 - Sep 5 with 6693 viewsStNeotsBlue

The fact one man or company has been allowed to control so much of the nations press is disgraceful but I'm not a fan of ER style, pisses too many off and seems detrimental to the causes they're fighting for.
Helluva statement from XR... on 07:00 - Sep 5 with 6571 viewsEdmundo

Probably their best bit of work. Hate Murdoch, ever since the NOTW was taken down... only to be replaced by th he Sunday Sun. And the same hackers being used as freelancers.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:15 - Sep 5 with 6557 viewsEdmundo

Probably their best bit of work. Hate Murdoch, ever since the NOTW was taken down... only to be replaced by the Sunday Sun. And the same hackers being used as freelancers. And don't forget his actions have skewed football and left it to the money men.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:26 - Sep 5 with 6540 viewsmonytowbray

Helluva statement from XR... on 01:38 - Sep 5 by StNeotsBlue

The fact one man or company has been allowed to control so much of the nations press is disgraceful but I'm not a fan of ER style, pisses too many off and seems detrimental to the causes they're fighting for.

How is it detrimental exactly? I’d argue if one understands the full extent of why they are protesting then nothing is enough until people pay attention.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:43 - Sep 5 with 6525 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:26 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

How is it detrimental exactly? I’d argue if one understands the full extent of why they are protesting then nothing is enough until people pay attention.

Indeed. Plus attacking News Corp is fairly and squarely attacking the keeper of the flame for the current unsustainable system.

Pronouns: He/Him

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:55 - Sep 5 with 6500 viewsEastTownBlue

This impacts the EADT as well...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/xr-protest-delays-newspaper-deliveries-eadt-1
Helluva statement from XR... on 08:33 - Sep 5 with 6416 viewssolomon

Lock down and Covid has not been kind to Extinction Rebellion though, with less people about there is far less to disrupt with any great daily impact, disrupting the printed word in the 21st century seems a bit odd and desperate considering we are in the digital age. I have no doubt their message is valid and warrants action I just fear they may be loosing direction on how best to get this over effectively?
Helluva statement from XR... on 08:38 - Sep 5 with 6391 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:33 - Sep 5 by solomon

Lock down and Covid has not been kind to Extinction Rebellion though, with less people about there is far less to disrupt with any great daily impact, disrupting the printed word in the 21st century seems a bit odd and desperate considering we are in the digital age. I have no doubt their message is valid and warrants action I just fear they may be loosing direction on how best to get this over effectively?

On that day-to-day level yes.

On the other level of proving that we can and will make major sacrifices as a society for the common good rather encourages activists that a high-stakes approach is worth following.

We can change before it's too late but it's increasingly apparent that we need to be shaken out of our complacency.

Login to get fewer ads

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:43 - Sep 5 with 6358 viewsSwansea_Blue

Helluva statement from XR... on 07:55 - Sep 5 by EastTownBlue

This impacts the EADT as well...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/xr-protest-delays-newspaper-deliveries-eadt-1

Maybe now the world will take notice!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:46 - Sep 5 with 6343 viewsEdwardStone

Helluva statement from XR... on 01:38 - Sep 5 by StNeotsBlue

Protest has a long and honourable history in changing the minds of both public and politicians. I see the disruption as an essential part of our evolution as a society

I used to live in Newbury, Berks in the 1980s.....just down the hill from Greenham Common. The letters page of the local paper was rammed full of the kind of sentiment that you are putting forward, decrying the disruption that the protest caused. One such letter contained the memorable phrase "At least Cruise is clean "

The protestors carried on regardless and their efforts resulted in Cruise missiles being withdrawn and Greenham Common being returned to its rightful purpose of recreational space for the people of Newbury to take air and exercise
Helluva statement from XR... on 08:47 - Sep 5 with 6335 viewsWD19

Individuals completely undermining any sensible points they have with ridiculous behaviour....

....now where have I seen that sort of thing before.....
Helluva statement from XR... on 08:59 - Sep 5 with 6315 viewsDarth_Koont

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:46 - Sep 5 by EdwardStone

Protest has a long and honourable history in changing the minds of both public and politicians. I see the disruption as an essential part of our evolution as a society

I used to live in Newbury, Berks in the 1980s.....just down the hill from Greenham Common. The letters page of the local paper was rammed full of the kind of sentiment that you are putting forward, decrying the disruption that the protest caused. One such letter contained the memorable phrase "At least Cruise is clean "

The protestors carried on regardless and their efforts resulted in Cruise missiles being withdrawn and Greenham Common being returned to its rightful purpose of recreational space for the people of Newbury to take air and exercise

Indeed.

Civil disobedience has a long history of being integral to achieving major change. From the Suffragettes, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, the ANC and Mandela to modern movements like Black Lives Matter that seem to be making much headway in a short space of time.

So Extinction Rebellion and their activities are entirely necessary given the relative lack of action taken by governments and the lack of alternatives pushed by opposition parties.

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:00 - Sep 5 with 6308 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:33 - Sep 5 by solomon

Having got past my initial ‘that’s clever in 2020 LOL’ reaction, I actually think this is a pretty clever protest

It’s doesn’t really inconvenience anyone other than the press themselves and whilst paper sales are dwindling there’s still enough to hit some rich people in the pocket slightly. And given that it’s the press it will no doubt get plenty of exposure from the press via other channels. Think ‘Helluva statement’ may be stretching it though

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

this is a statement that needs to be heard: on 09:08 - Sep 5 with 6281 viewsunstableblue

“If we are to sort out this mess we’re in, the mainstream media must stop profiting from clickbait culture that is swimming in misinformation, that makes us hate our neighbours, suspect foreigners and vulnerable groups, and rally the nation into action.”

Gully Bujak, an XR activist, said: “The climate emergency is an existential threat to humanity. Instead of publishing this on the front page every day as it deserves, much of our media ignores the issue and some actively sow the seeds of climate denial.”

Murdoch is part of the disease that has damaged the harmony of this country

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

this is a statement that needs to be heard: on 09:16 - Sep 5 with 6266 viewsEdwardStone

this is a statement that needs to be heard: on 09:08 - Sep 5 by unstableblue

“If we are to sort out this mess we’re in, the mainstream media must stop profiting from clickbait culture that is swimming in misinformation, that makes us hate our neighbours, suspect foreigners and vulnerable groups, and rally the nation into action.”

Gully Bujak, an XR activist, said: “The climate emergency is an existential threat to humanity. Instead of publishing this on the front page every day as it deserves, much of our media ignores the issue and some actively sow the seeds of climate denial.”

Exactly this....Murdoch is pure poison

Murdoch....The Evil Scrotum
this is a statement that needs to be heard: on 09:18 - Sep 5 with 6263 viewsPinewoodblue

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:21 - Sep 5 with 6233 viewsGaryCooper

Do you agree with XR founder Roger Hallam when he states that people who do not agree with XR should have a bullet through their heads?
Helluva statement from XR... on 09:26 - Sep 5 with 6215 views26_Paz

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:21 - Sep 5 by GaryCooper

Do you agree with XR founder Roger Hallam when he states that people who do not agree with XR should have a bullet through their heads?

And people who don’t agree with them should be prevented from going about their lawful business of printing / buying newspapers.

The Paz Man

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:32 - Sep 5 with 6188 viewsGaryCooper

Herb agrees with the statement then.
Helluva statement from XR... on 09:35 - Sep 5 with 6187 viewsEastTownBlue

Helluva statement from XR... on 08:43 - Sep 5 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe now the world will take notice!

They are discussing nothing else in Woodbridge this morning.
Helluva statement from XR... on 09:54 - Sep 5 with 6134 viewsPJH

Helluva statement from XR... on 09:35 - Sep 5 by EastTownBlue

They are discussing nothing else in Woodbridge this morning.

Well I did go to the paper shop to get my Daily Mirror a bit earlier than I usually do in case the shop got short of Daily Mirror's.
this is a statement that needs to be heard: on 10:03 - Sep 5 with 6112 viewsSwansea_Blue

That part of the statement nailed the whole issue didn't it.

I understand why people feel awkward about the overt nature and language/narrative of their protests (I do too - but I think that's the old Suffolk reserve/ inhibition kicking in). But we need people with the energy and drive of the XR protestors. It's most certainly something worth fighting for - we all depend on their success, literally.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Helluva statement from XR... on 10:18 - Sep 5 with 6080 viewsDarth_Koont

No.

I agree with his anger and the underlying point though.

Helluva statement from XR... on 10:22 - Sep 5 with 6068 viewsWeWereZombies

I think you need at least to provide a link, and preferably a reliable source, before you make statements like that.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Helluva statement from XR... on 10:28 - Sep 5 with 6054 viewsHerbivore

Helluva statement from XR... on 10:22 - Sep 5 by WeWereZombies

I think you need at least to provide a link, and preferably a reliable source, before you make statements like that.

He didn't say people who don't agree with XR should have a bullet put through their head, he said those responsible for the climate crisis should. Still a rather unwise thing to say but rather telling that Gary has chosen to misrepresent it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024