Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinan. 07:50 - Sep 6 with 4514 viewsirishtim

How did people think he played? Being from Cork Ireland I would love to seem him get a chance this season. Hopefully he won't be sent on loan. Think he deserves a chance to fight for a place. Hopefully a good season ahead. Hope all Town fans keeping well in these strange times.
Drinan. on 07:58 - Sep 6 with 4475 viewshype313

He's done well, works his socks off, links up the play very well, the only question mark is how clinical he will be, I suppose that will come with games and confidence but I think he's done enough to not warrent another loan, whether he can displace either of the current strikers once there back is anyone's guess.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Drinan. on 08:02 - Sep 6 with 4444 viewsirishtim

Drinan. on 07:58 - Sep 6 by hype313

He's done well, works his socks off, links up the play very well, the only question mark is how clinical he will be, I suppose that will come with games and confidence but I think he's done enough to not warrent another loan, whether he can displace either of the current strikers once there back is anyone's guess.

Yes the reports seem positive. Think he needs games to gain confidence. Hopefully he might surprise a few teams.
Drinan. on 08:09 - Sep 6 with 4402 viewshype313

Drinan. on 08:02 - Sep 6 by irishtim

Yes the reports seem positive. Think he needs games to gain confidence. Hopefully he might surprise a few teams.

Put it this way, I'd rather have him in the squad than out on loan.

Drinan. on 08:15 - Sep 6 with 4373 viewsMullet

Drinan. on 08:09 - Sep 6 by hype313

I think it’s likely he’ll go out if Jackson is not seen as another wide player. But as I said yesterday that’s as good a debut as you can expect without scoring.

You can see why MM took him as he has that air of a player with the attributes you can enhance, I just wonder if he’s best served being the main man like he was at Ayr over sub appearances.

I liked his movement and eagerness a lot, he’s also got decent feet. Not convinced he’s going to far so well against a back four where you’ve got two lumps to alternate on him. Rovers’ back three was perfect for us yesterday as we always had a man over to move it past them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Drinan. on 08:18 - Sep 6 with 4346 viewsElderGrizzly

Will all depend if we have space within our squad limit if he doesn’t count in the U21 bracket
Drinan. on 08:34 - Sep 6 with 4255 viewshype313

Drinan. on 08:18 - Sep 6 by ElderGrizzly

Will all depend if we have space within our squad limit if he doesn’t count in the U21 bracket

That's one for the stattos of the board, need a PhD to work that out!

Drinan. on 08:35 - Sep 6 with 4260 viewsDubtractor

Drinan. on 08:15 - Sep 6 by Mullet

I think it’s likely he’ll go out if Jackson is not seen as another wide player. But as I said yesterday that’s as good a debut as you can expect without scoring.

You can see why MM took him as he has that air of a player with the attributes you can enhance, I just wonder if he’s best served being the main man like he was at Ayr over sub appearances.

I liked his movement and eagerness a lot, he’s also got decent feet. Not convinced he’s going to far so well against a back four where you’ve got two lumps to alternate on him. Rovers’ back three was perfect for us yesterday as we always had a man over to move it past them.

I've only seen the goals, so this isn't meant as an observation on the whole game at all, but the Rovers defence was absolutely statuesque for all 3 goals. I suspect we will play against much tougher defences this season.

But regardless, I'd always like to see our players (we signed him as a young kid really) given a chance than the rotating cast of players who've not been up to it. So many pointless players have been through our club in the last 10 years.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Drinan. on 08:52 - Sep 6 with 4147 viewsMaySixth

He was good.
Would like to see more games against superior opposition before making a proper judgement.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

Drinan. on 09:30 - Sep 6 with 4008 viewsGuthrum

He looked like someone who, after a few years of loans and development, has matured into a decent player - while still early in his career (aged 22). Was constantly at the heart of the action.

The thing which confused me was that his surname is pronounced "Drynan", rather than with a short "i" as I had assumed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Drinan. on 09:36 - Sep 6 with 3966 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agreed. Especially if we’re playing a front 3, him and Norwood give us two good options for the CF spot. He played well yesterday and has had a good pre-season. Intelligent player and good movement.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Drinan. on 09:37 - Sep 6 with 3969 viewsMullet

Drinan. on 08:35 - Sep 6 by Dubtractor

I've only seen the goals, so this isn't meant as an observation on the whole game at all, but the Rovers defence was absolutely statuesque for all 3 goals. I suspect we will play against much tougher defences this season.

But regardless, I'd always like to see our players (we signed him as a young kid really) given a chance than the rotating cast of players who've not been up to it. So many pointless players have been through our club in the last 10 years.

They weren't at full strength and our passing play was simply too much for them. We looked shakier at times at the back but our shape meant when they got a run at us someone could cover easily.

Bristol by contrast seemed to be looking at each other wondering why the other bloke wasn't there. Maybe it's the lack of familiarity and second stringers they had out, bu to Drinan's credit he got onto the end of most of the through balls we played even when we hoofed it over the backline or slipped it through the channels.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Drinan. on 09:46 - Sep 6 with 3922 viewsunstableblue

He should have buried his main chance, he half caught it, but it was still a wonderful save

But this was a performance that really built on his pre-season displays.

What impressed was his control in dangerous areas and then taking that ball further up field and pulling away defenders, to then provide some good crossing and distribution to team mates

Don’t think the Rovers defenders were poor, but going to be interesting to see how he gets on against the top Div 1 teams

Promising but a long way to go, and needs goals

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Drinan. on 10:52 - Sep 6 with 3710 viewsstrikalite

Drinan. on 09:46 - Sep 6 by unstableblue

He should have buried his main chance, he half caught it, but it was still a wonderful save

But this was a performance that really built on his pre-season displays.

What impressed was his control in dangerous areas and then taking that ball further up field and pulling away defenders, to then provide some good crossing and distribution to team mates

Don’t think the Rovers defenders were poor, but going to be interesting to see how he gets on against the top Div 1 teams

Promising but a long way to go, and needs goals

It's incredible what a goal or two will do for confidence, he's 22 now so not a kid anymore, he's had game time so I hope he gets a run of games which will also give him a big confidence boost...
Drinan. on 10:54 - Sep 6 with 3697 viewsHerbivore

Thought he weighted the ball to Sears perfectly for the opening goal. Got to remember though that prior to this preseason he's been absolutely miles away from the first team. If he continues to progress and shows he can be a capable player at this level it's a massive bonus but it's far too early to consider him a firm part of the first team squad. I'd love it if he can establish himself though as he does seem to have the attributes we need from a central striker, it's just whether he can offer enough on a consistent basis.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Drinan. on 11:04 - Sep 6 with 3658 viewsWickets

Both Drinan and from the little i have seen of him Hawkins are a very different sort of striker than the others as they spend a lot of the time with their back to goal doing the nitty gritty work stopping the opposition defenders being effective ,much like the job Murthy did for years . Neither will get a huge goals return but are very important cogs in how we play as defenders will know with one of these two in the team we have the option of ball played up to them for them to hold up and then lay off too the runners . Last season we did not really have this option teams knew that we just had to play one way IE trying to pass through them making it easier to defend . Last season our midfielders often struggled as the midfield often got too congested. With one of these two that is less likely to happen .
Drinan. on 11:47 - Sep 6 with 3568 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Played very well yesterday, the first time most would have seen him. Held the ball well, got others involved. Should maybe have scored with his only real chance, but forgive him that. Promising Town future hopefully. Stay safe yourself and top of the morning to yah.
Drinan. on 11:59 - Sep 6 with 3546 viewsWickets

A perfect example of what Drinan brings to the table is the first incident on the highlights as if you watch closely he stops the defender getting to the ball and Judge ends up with a clear chance . Sure Alan will think he should have scored but gets too much on the lob.
Drinan. on 12:48 - Sep 6 with 3441 viewsTieDyedIn95

He's the most hard working striker we have had here for years, missed a few chances but head remained high and he just kept working, neat footballer, unselfish and it was his pass that put Sears in and scoring and thats what kick started our game.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Drinan. on 13:01 - Sep 6 with 3398 viewsDennyx4

Drinan. on 12:48 - Sep 6 by TieDyedIn95

He's the most hard working striker we have had here for years, missed a few chances but head remained high and he just kept working, neat footballer, unselfish and it was his pass that put Sears in and scoring and thats what kick started our game.

Reminded me of an early Naylor (playing up front).
Drinan. on 13:39 - Sep 6 with 3309 viewsHullblue

The Spurs game was the first time I’d ever seen him play and he looked (understandably) very nervous. Yesterday I thought he was excellent - two well-judged assists and a some other intelligent runs. Good strength and build-up play too. Looked like Will Keane with better work rate.

I’d never been excited about him before just due to the fact he hasn’t been prolific in any of his loan spells, even at much lower levels than this, but he was so unlucky not to score yesterday.

Maybe during lockdown he sorted his body or mentality out and it’s taken him to another level? Time will tell! Credit to Lambert (not something I find myself saying very often) for throwing him in too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024