Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday's belated assessment 11:55 - Sep 6 with 1252 viewsradiogaga

Really good yesterday - Great to see Sears looking more like the 2015 Sears, a wide forward role definitely suits him and always has (I could see Jackson, if he stays, being deployed in a similar way on the opposite side with Norwood or Hawkins in the middle as a straight CF. That could certainly be effective if the service up to them is as good as it was yesterday).

The midfield looked sharp, positive and very composed in possession. We rarely gave the ball away cheaply. Bishop in particular looked really good. Excellent assist for Sears' second and general decision making was really good. Dozzell looked very comfortable in possession in that deeper role. There was a moment in the first half where Bristol Rovers cut us open very easily and Dozzell was nowhere to be seen, aside from that it was a very comfortable afternoon for him in that deeper midfield role. Clearly when we play the tougher more attack minded teams and are under more pressure in our own third, naturally Huws/ Skuse would be more suitable.

Ward and Chambers both looked excellent when going forward at full back. Woolfenden and Nsiala looked fine too albeit they weren't troubled hugely. The bottom line is that the defence will naturally look better when we keep the ball better and are not putting them under extra pressure/ vice versa.

I suspect Drinan will be Jordan Roberts 2.0, in the sense that most of his game time will come in the cups. I thought he made the ball stick up top, brought others into play, played well and really should have scored. Hawkins showed a few moments when he came on to suggest he will be a very useful foil for others.

Good afternoon all round, albeit Bristol Rovers did look really poor. Without the goals of Clarke-Harris this year, it could be a long season for them.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2020 11:57]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Yesterday's belated assessment on 13:12 - Sep 6 with 1143 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I think Drinan is a better footballer than Roberts or at least the potential is there. Roberts was all huff and puff. Drinan has the work rate but I think his touch looks much better and can play a pass.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Yesterday's belated assessment on 13:25 - Sep 6 with 1113 viewsEdwardStone

Good assessment, thanks for posting

Composed....that is the word

We looked composed on the ball

I have been getting very bored with watching our players playing "hot potato" with the ball and conceding possession while attempting to make a meaningless hasty pass
Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:14 - Sep 6 with 1051 viewsxrayspecs

Lots of positive signs yesterday and I enjoyed watching us play. Been a long time since I have been able to say that mind.

BR were poor and gave us too much space to play down the flanks. Neither Toto nor Chambers through balls should have travelled 40-50 yards to an unmarked forward.

The real test will be how the new style works when teams set up 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and ask us to break them down. We struggled last season against team who sat back and looked to hit us on the counter-attack or from a set piece. It is too early to tell if we are stronger defensively from set pieces than last season. Ward looks like a decent acquisition but jury remains out in central defence.
Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:22 - Sep 6 with 1037 viewsxrayspecs

Yesterday's belated assessment on 13:12 - Sep 6 by Terry_Nutkins

I think Drinan is a better footballer than Roberts or at least the potential is there. Roberts was all huff and puff. Drinan has the work rate but I think his touch looks much better and can play a pass.

Drinan has had a good pre-season and played well yesterday. He certainly seems to be closer to regular first team action than Dobra and El Mizouni. He has a physicality about him that our other forwards mainly lack. He and Hawkins could cover the central striker role this season assuming we stick with just the one, with Jackson and Sears playing the wider roles. Not entirely sure where this leaves Norwood, I do not see him as a sole central striker nor as a wide player.
Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:27 - Sep 6 with 1022 viewsChrisd

Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:14 - Sep 6 by xrayspecs

Lots of positive signs yesterday and I enjoyed watching us play. Been a long time since I have been able to say that mind.

BR were poor and gave us too much space to play down the flanks. Neither Toto nor Chambers through balls should have travelled 40-50 yards to an unmarked forward.

The real test will be how the new style works when teams set up 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and ask us to break them down. We struggled last season against team who sat back and looked to hit us on the counter-attack or from a set piece. It is too early to tell if we are stronger defensively from set pieces than last season. Ward looks like a decent acquisition but jury remains out in central defence.

I’m intrigued that when Plan A isn’t working, have we got an effective Plan B?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Yesterday's belated assessment on 17:44 - Sep 6 with 908 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:22 - Sep 6 by xrayspecs

Drinan has had a good pre-season and played well yesterday. He certainly seems to be closer to regular first team action than Dobra and El Mizouni. He has a physicality about him that our other forwards mainly lack. He and Hawkins could cover the central striker role this season assuming we stick with just the one, with Jackson and Sears playing the wider roles. Not entirely sure where this leaves Norwood, I do not see him as a sole central striker nor as a wide player.

Think Norwood played as a lone striker at Tranmere. I think he will be the first option as central striker once fit.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Yesterday's belated assessment on 18:37 - Sep 6 with 848 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Yesterday's belated assessment on 14:22 - Sep 6 by xrayspecs

A fit Norwood is number 1 for that position. Just hope he can actually get himself in the right shape and over his injury.

Drinnan can be an added bonus this season.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Yesterday's belated assessment on 19:54 - Sep 6 with 783 viewsJermynblue

Agree that there was a large number of positive aspects yesterday. We struggled at times at home last season and therefore great to see a comfortable win.

Drinan playing well is a real bonus as did not expect to see him starting games and being influential. I like to see players being given the opportunity, perhaps due to injuries and then showing that they have the desire and ability to contribute and hopefully develop. I seem to remember that Rashford only initially got game time because of injuries at Man Utd but he took his chance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024