Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Raise in Covid cases. 23:00 - Sep 6 with 5198 viewsMercian

It's very alarming and it seems we have learned nothing. Victoria in Aus shut down with fewer cases per 100,000 that we have now. I think we should bite the bullet and do so to prevent another 40k deaths.
Raise in Covid cases. on 04:27 - Sep 7 with 4355 viewsTractorWood

It's a massive increase. Will be really interesting to see today's numbers. The danger is that the testing system is so clearly unfit for purpose that thousands aren't bothering to get tests and are just cracking on with their lives.

Another mass lockdown feels unlikely because if it spikes again, then it proves that our only is option to control is being in lockdown. Interesting that it comes at a time where Raab and Boris are telling everyone to commute to their offices because the sandwich shops are going under at the same time uni's are restarting and schools have gone back. I see a school in Haverhill is closed are 5 teachers test positive.

My honest belief is that the virus is now totally endemic and there is essentially nothing we can do about it. 3,000 positive tests in a day means there are probably 30,000 cases. Back in February and March I think there were millions of infections but we were so unprepared that it will have never been captured.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Raise in Covid cases. on 05:59 - Sep 7 with 4304 viewsbluelagos

Raise in Covid cases. on 04:27 - Sep 7 by TractorWood

It's a massive increase. Will be really interesting to see today's numbers. The danger is that the testing system is so clearly unfit for purpose that thousands aren't bothering to get tests and are just cracking on with their lives.

Another mass lockdown feels unlikely because if it spikes again, then it proves that our only is option to control is being in lockdown. Interesting that it comes at a time where Raab and Boris are telling everyone to commute to their offices because the sandwich shops are going under at the same time uni's are restarting and schools have gone back. I see a school in Haverhill is closed are 5 teachers test positive.

My honest belief is that the virus is now totally endemic and there is essentially nothing we can do about it. 3,000 positive tests in a day means there are probably 30,000 cases. Back in February and March I think there were millions of infections but we were so unprepared that it will have never been captured.

First 2 sentences sum it up. Big increase but only 1 daay. Could be an outlier.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Raise in Covid cases. on 06:59 - Sep 7 with 4220 viewsChrisd

Raise in Covid cases. on 04:27 - Sep 7 by TractorWood

Yesterday, a red top was reporting that we currently have 62 positive cases in our schools whether that is pupils or staff across NI, Wales, Scotland and England. What concerns me, in the main, the majority of senior pupils return this week in England. Can only see this figure steadily increasing as we head deep into the Autumn Term. For all schools thorough planning and preparation, which should be acknowledged, they just haven't got the capacity to manage this virus with the numbers they are dealing with on a daily basis.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Raise in Covid cases. on 07:30 - Sep 7 with 4162 viewsWD19

Raise in Covid cases. on 05:59 - Sep 7 by bluelagos

First 2 sentences sum it up. Big increase but only 1 daay. Could be an outlier.

It’s not. Much of the government testing Work over the past couple of weeks have shown an uptick. That data has been suppressed for fear of messing up the return to school push.
Raise in Covid cases. on 07:56 - Sep 7 with 4103 viewshomer_123

It's not surprising.

Restrictions relaxed coupled with peoples generally lax approach to this now (not everyone but enough). Add to that a desire from the Gov to get the economy moving and you can see why numbers are increasing.

It's already been clearly communicated that they expect numbers to hugely increase over the next few weeks with Oct/ Nov being the main concerns.

Zero joined up thinking - my lad played football yesterday and he can mingle and play no problems, no masks etc. However, when he goes to school today, he's be in a bubble where he can't mix with the same people he played with yesterday.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:07 - Sep 7 with 4075 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Raise in Covid cases. on 07:30 - Sep 7 by WD19

It’s not. Much of the government testing Work over the past couple of weeks have shown an uptick. That data has been suppressed for fear of messing up the return to school push.

Worry you not, the man from the gubberment on the telly this morning says that we have the virus under control.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:25 - Sep 7 with 4020 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's a catch 22 situation. IF the cases are going to lead to significant hospitalisation and death in vulernable people it is already tooo late to do anything about it.

IF its just the carefree young catching a nasty cold as part of 'getting back to normal' then that is deemed a price worth paying

Also, nobody is paying any attantion to those lockdown rules any more... apart from the older people who this government seems not to care about.... so a lockdown would probably achieve nothing.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:28 - Sep 7 with 4011 viewsHerbivore

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:25 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

It's a catch 22 situation. IF the cases are going to lead to significant hospitalisation and death in vulernable people it is already tooo late to do anything about it.

IF its just the carefree young catching a nasty cold as part of 'getting back to normal' then that is deemed a price worth paying

Also, nobody is paying any attantion to those lockdown rules any more... apart from the older people who this government seems not to care about.... so a lockdown would probably achieve nothing.

From what I've seen, older people are some of the worst culprits for not following the rules. The only people I've seen in supermarkets without face coverings have been aged 60+. There are bellends of all ages.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Raise in Covid cases. on 09:07 - Sep 7 with 3930 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:28 - Sep 7 by Herbivore

From what I've seen, older people are some of the worst culprits for not following the rules. The only people I've seen in supermarkets without face coverings have been aged 60+. There are bellends of all ages.

It is very concerning but I can only foresee further rises as there is a dilemma of whether we allow people go back to work, use public transport, have school children and university students and a-Level students go back, etc especially with those who live away from university as they will be sharing accommodation and be in close proximity (school children and students and workers) when they take lessons, lecturers or work at their desks again.

I do not want to overly criticise the government as they have an unwanted job of having to decide when to lockdown and whether a national one would have to be enforced, if cases were to rise.

However, their management from day zero as I refer to it has been diabolical to the point that herd immunity and allowing people to travel to at risk areas should have been prevented and not permitted months ago. Then, there was the poor elderly that were moved into care homes, untested and unregistered and cases hit the roof.

Do we lockdown again and risk a mental health crisis too? Many people have benefited from reconnecting with family and friends but lessening contact again would be disastrous. It is well being as well as health we need to consider.

I suffered badly from coronavirus as I suffer from bipolar disorder and I worry most about my Mum who has autoimmune illness: psoriatic arthritis and my brother and father who have ME and diabetes type 1 respectively.

A strategy is what is required desperately and if we do not enact one, we will have more than a covid crisis on our hands. Matt Hancock must tread carefully and decide carefully what he is going to do next.
Raise in Covid cases. on 09:21 - Sep 7 with 3889 viewscatch74

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:07 - Sep 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Worry you not, the man from the gubberment on the telly this morning says that we have the virus under control.

We’re tracking France, a week or so behind. They were 1000 per day a couple of weeks ago, then moved to 3-5 and then 8k positive cases. The one good bit is that deaths are not increasing too dramatically.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Raise in Covid cases. on 09:28 - Sep 7 with 3871 viewsPinewoodblue

Raise in Covid cases. on 08:28 - Sep 7 by Herbivore

All rules need to be followed, if anyone has a condition that means they are exempt from wearing masks then perhaps they shouldn’t be allowed into supermarkets.

My view is that while shopping you really don’t come into contact with any one individual long enough to make the risk significant.

If everyone just concentrated on their own actions, and followed the rules, we would have a better chance of keeping this under control.

Irrespective of political views whilst acknowledging earlier mistakes we do seem to bring much better than say France, averaging 6,000 new cases a day.

We need to remember the rules are there for everyone’s benefit and wether you are mor, or less, likely to b3 personally impacted if you catch it is totally irrelevant as this news story on a wedding in Maine illustrates.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/05/us/maine-wedding-outbreak-covid-cases-trnd/in

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Raise in Covid cases. on 09:59 - Sep 7 with 3795 viewsHarry_Palmer

At this current time, cases are more a result of increased testing. The key thing is that people who are actually presenting symptoms, hospitalisations, and deaths are not rising. This piece should provide some reassurance.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3374
Raise in Covid cases. on 10:00 - Sep 7 with 3793 viewsElephantintheRoom

Raise in Covid cases. on 09:07 - Sep 7 by newcastlefan1984

It is very concerning but I can only foresee further rises as there is a dilemma of whether we allow people go back to work, use public transport, have school children and university students and a-Level students go back, etc especially with those who live away from university as they will be sharing accommodation and be in close proximity (school children and students and workers) when they take lessons, lecturers or work at their desks again.

I do not want to overly criticise the government as they have an unwanted job of having to decide when to lockdown and whether a national one would have to be enforced, if cases were to rise.

However, their management from day zero as I refer to it has been diabolical to the point that herd immunity and allowing people to travel to at risk areas should have been prevented and not permitted months ago. Then, there was the poor elderly that were moved into care homes, untested and unregistered and cases hit the roof.

Do we lockdown again and risk a mental health crisis too? Many people have benefited from reconnecting with family and friends but lessening contact again would be disastrous. It is well being as well as health we need to consider.

I suffered badly from coronavirus as I suffer from bipolar disorder and I worry most about my Mum who has autoimmune illness: psoriatic arthritis and my brother and father who have ME and diabetes type 1 respectively.

A strategy is what is required desperately and if we do not enact one, we will have more than a covid crisis on our hands. Matt Hancock must tread carefully and decide carefully what he is going to do next.

There is, in all probability nothing much that can be done.

Winter is coming - when flu and a viral stomach bug will bring the NHS to the brink of collapse, as it does every year. Any Covid is just the icing on that particular cutbacks over the decades cake.

Brexit is coming - and with it a massive hit to the economy that will continue for years..... again nothing can stop that now. A national lockdown isn't really an option any more.

The numbers of infections tend to reflect the obvious and expected results of increased testing - and increased 'back to normal' activity - both of which the government is actively encouraging.... its also following the path of other countries which had far more stringent lockdowns than the UK - but ironically not Sweden of course.

All eggs are in the basket labelled 'let's hope it is no longer as serious a health threat as it once was' Which is not a bad call as that is looking hopeful at present - and is an expected development in any self-respecting virus not trying to make itself extinct.

The down side to that scenario is what do you do with all these much-hyped and under-tested vaccines IF covid is now less of a threat than flu an/or/ IF any of them are even remotely effective? Shades of the USA swine flu vaccine decacle in 1976 perhaps

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Raise in Covid cases. on 10:14 - Sep 7 with 3751 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting stats in the Sunday Times.

A rise in cases but the # of deaths is nowhere near the correlation it was/has been.
Almost flat at a very low number.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Raise in Covid cases. on 11:22 - Sep 7 with 3648 viewsAce_High1

Sadly was always going to happen, next four weeks could be really worrying if it spirals upwards like France.

Not looking forward to this winter!
Raise in Covid cases. on 11:53 - Sep 7 with 3604 viewsGuthrum

Raise in Covid cases. on 10:14 - Sep 7 by hampstead_blue

A rise in cases but the # of deaths is nowhere near the correlation it was/has been.

Which would suggest that perhaps there is a strain currently predominating in the UK which is less lethal than what was going around in March and April. Closer to the earlier situation in Germany and Scandinavia than that in Spain, France and Italy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Raise in Covid cases. on 12:00 - Sep 7 with 3592 viewsHerbivore

Raise in Covid cases. on 11:53 - Sep 7 by Guthrum

Which would suggest that perhaps there is a strain currently predominating in the UK which is less lethal than what was going around in March and April. Closer to the earlier situation in Germany and Scandinavia than that in Spain, France and Italy.

It's really hard to tell. There's a few other factors as well I imagine. Firstly, we are now testing more and picking up more cases in the general population and that wasn't happening earlier in the pandemic. More confirmed cases means the proportion dying looks smaller than it did. Secondly, the demographic getting infected now is younger which will also drive down mortality rates. Thirdly, the way deaths are being recorded has changed leading to fewer deaths being attributed to Covid. Fourthly, there is a couple of weeks' lag usually between increases in cases and increases in fatalities so this current spike won't be seen in mortality rates for a couple of weeks still. Finally, it may well be that the virus is getting less deadly, this is apparently not uncommon as it doesn't benefit viruses to kill their host so they often adapt to become less deadly. Impossible to say whether this is the case though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:27 - Sep 7 with 3496 viewsJ2BLUE

Ipswich two week average is 6.5 cases. Not sure we need a lockdown across the whole country.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:35 - Sep 7 with 3469 viewsclive_baker

Raise in Covid cases. on 10:00 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Winter is coming - when flu and a viral stomach bug will bring the NHS to the brink of collapse, as it does every year. Any Covid is just the icing on that particular cutbacks over the decades cake.

Brexit is coming - and with it a massive hit to the economy that will continue for years..... again nothing can stop that now. A national lockdown isn't really an option any more.

The numbers of infections tend to reflect the obvious and expected results of increased testing - and increased 'back to normal' activity - both of which the government is actively encouraging.... its also following the path of other countries which had far more stringent lockdowns than the UK - but ironically not Sweden of course.

All eggs are in the basket labelled 'let's hope it is no longer as serious a health threat as it once was' Which is not a bad call as that is looking hopeful at present - and is an expected development in any self-respecting virus not trying to make itself extinct.

The down side to that scenario is what do you do with all these much-hyped and under-tested vaccines IF covid is now less of a threat than flu an/or/ IF any of them are even remotely effective? Shades of the USA swine flu vaccine decacle in 1976 perhaps

In the interests of balance, it's worth noting that we still get to hear Rule Britannia at the Proms though innit.

Every cloud.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:39 - Sep 7 with 3455 viewsPinewoodblue

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:27 - Sep 7 by J2BLUE

Ipswich two week average is 6.5 cases. Not sure we need a lockdown across the whole country.

The latest figures I have seen suggest that as of yesterday there were estimated to be 55 people in Ipswich who currently have the virus. The figure for Babergh was 24, and 35 for mid suffolk. The figure are higher than in recent weeks.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:41 - Sep 7 with 3445 viewsJ2BLUE

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:39 - Sep 7 by Pinewoodblue

The latest figures I have seen suggest that as of yesterday there were estimated to be 55 people in Ipswich who currently have the virus. The figure for Babergh was 24, and 35 for mid suffolk. The figure are higher than in recent weeks.

Estimated? I look at the confirmed cases on Sky News.

I don't doubt the actual figure is higher but if we only have 13 cases over the last fortnight which have been bad enough to get confirmed it seems fairly encouraging?

I should have been clearer, the weekly confirmed average based on last two weeks is 6.5 cases per week, according to Sky. Not 6.5 over the two weeks.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Raise in Covid cases. on 13:45 - Sep 7 with 3424 viewsclive_baker

Raise in Covid cases. on 12:00 - Sep 7 by Herbivore

It's really hard to tell. There's a few other factors as well I imagine. Firstly, we are now testing more and picking up more cases in the general population and that wasn't happening earlier in the pandemic. More confirmed cases means the proportion dying looks smaller than it did. Secondly, the demographic getting infected now is younger which will also drive down mortality rates. Thirdly, the way deaths are being recorded has changed leading to fewer deaths being attributed to Covid. Fourthly, there is a couple of weeks' lag usually between increases in cases and increases in fatalities so this current spike won't be seen in mortality rates for a couple of weeks still. Finally, it may well be that the virus is getting less deadly, this is apparently not uncommon as it doesn't benefit viruses to kill their host so they often adapt to become less deadly. Impossible to say whether this is the case though.

Indeed, well put.

I certainly think the demographic reasons are at play. Letting this thing get into care homes was like releasing a fox into a chicken coup, and until it's worked through society I don't suppose we'll get a true read of its impact.

Hopefully the final potential factor at play proves to be the case.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Raise in Covid cases. on 16:17 - Sep 7 with 3352 viewsMercian

Raise in Covid cases. on 10:00 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

As winter is coming Winterfell should put in procedures sooner rather than later.
Raise in Covid cases. on 18:51 - Sep 7 with 3248 viewsflimflam

Raise in Covid cases. on 10:14 - Sep 7 by hampstead_blue

Because we are testing more people so obviously spotting more cases.

Plus its not deadly / dangerous for 99% of the population so more testing = more positive cases.

Perhaps they should put as much effort into cancer testing as it is estimated an additional 50,000 cancer deaths over the next 2 years because of people not presenting till too late or having cancer treatments cancelled.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Raise in Covid cases. on 20:35 - Sep 7 with 3176 viewsblueislander

Today we have had our first case of Covid in over 4 months in Guernsey. Someone who had been in the UK and tested positive after 7 days isolation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024