Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert interview in the EADT 08:24 - Sep 10 with 16761 viewsitfcjoe

A few big bits to pull out from it - but they are obvious so will leave you guys to have a full read to give a better picture!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on-tough-love-approach-1-6830689

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:25 - Sep 10 with 6091 viewsKieran_Knows

Had a read this morning. I don't buy the whole 'we needed a goalscorer in the Championship' thing. We played some relatively good football from October-January, signed Quaner and then all tactics went out the window after that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:36 - Sep 10 with 6027 viewsChrisd

A good read, cheers for posting Joe. Early days I know but in our first couple of games this season there have been encouraging signs and the fact he admits he hasn't been good enough is also telling. All lip service though at the moment, lets see what unfolds over the coming weeks/months. It'll be good if we can get a win on Sunday with a good performance to match to get our league campaign off to a solid start.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:42 - Sep 10 with 5976 viewsHackneyblueboy

Interesting to hear his comments re Jackson and Norwood. I struggle to see where Jackson is going to fit this year and he isn't well suited to the lone man striker. Shame as I think if he ends up leaving he could be one that comes back to bite us. His pace in this league is a massive asset and I'm still not convinced Norwood wants to be here.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:43 - Sep 10 with 5961 viewsHerbivore

Based on that we may as well cash in on Jackson.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:45 - Sep 10 with 5960 viewsMetal_Hacker

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:25 - Sep 10 by Kieran_Knows

Had a read this morning. I don't buy the whole 'we needed a goalscorer in the Championship' thing. We played some relatively good football from October-January, signed Quaner and then all tactics went out the window after that.

Pretty much as we all know , the new "tough love" approach is on going

Actually interesting to see both Norwood and Jackson discussed and for me it seems they've both pushed for this move.After being told they've got to fight for the right to play and only one of them will be playing , have they advised their "advisors" to find an escape route to AN Other club because they feel they're above fighting for the right to start ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:46 - Sep 10 with 5952 viewsportmanking

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:43 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

I think you're sadly right. He would certainly make a good right inside forward for someone, but perhaps for a team that plans to play a little more direct? Who knows.

Given this tough love talk, I reckon that Lambert signed Norwood with the intention of playing 4-3-3 and making him the focal point, but Jackson's form meant he couldn't be ignored last season.

Lambert's also using the development of Drinan to give Norwood the kick up the backside he needs too I hope.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:47 - Sep 10 with 5941 viewsDennyx4

Good read, and explains a bit why there could be some unrest in the squad.

Also he obviously doesn't see Jackson as a wide striker. Wonder if it gives us an option of changing system and going two up top if we are behind in games.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:50 - Sep 10 with 5932 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, Stu Watson mentioned on the podcast today that PL just doesn't see him as a wide striker at all - so it is as a 9 in this formation or as a super sub I guess.

A shame but we may as well cash in if that is the case

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:54 - Sep 10 with 5872 viewsHerbivore

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:50 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

Yep, Stu Watson mentioned on the podcast today that PL just doesn't see him as a wide striker at all - so it is as a 9 in this formation or as a super sub I guess.

Yeah, there's just no way he's a number 9 in this system. It's a bit worrying that Lambert can't see his potential as a wide forward but not necessarily much of a surprise. We'd be better off cashing in if there's a decent offer on the table but I suspect it'll be one that comes back to haunt us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:56 - Sep 10 with 5860 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thought the same. Suspect ME is holding out for close to the £1.6m we paid for him.
If there really was an offer, then I suspect its a matter of time.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:58 - Sep 10 with 5848 viewsgordon

Surely Jon Nolan must be worried at all the talk there about moving the ball quickly, playing forward passes, being purposeful!
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:00 - Sep 10 with 5817 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:54 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Yeah, there's just no way he's a number 9 in this system. It's a bit worrying that Lambert can't see his potential as a wide forward but not necessarily much of a surprise. We'd be better off cashing in if there's a decent offer on the table but I suspect it'll be one that comes back to haunt us.

I'm not convinced that it would - maybe Lambert just doesn't see what he wants in a wide striker as he is best working from in to out and his touch etc not always the best

I think if he does go that we need another striker though, even if just a loanee as putting season on Norwood's shoulders is a risk

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:01 - Sep 10 with 5814 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:54 - Sep 10 by Herbivore

Yup, giving Alan Judge and Gwion Edwards game time as wide forwards in the first two games but not seeing Jackson in that role is pretty concerning.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:02 - Sep 10 with 5797 viewsMonkeyAlan

His idea is right. But we don't have the pace in the squad to play that type of football. Jackson aside, most would be beaten for pace by an arthritic tortoise. Also Jackson just isn't the right player to play that type of football, so that's the only pace gone.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:03 - Sep 10 with 5787 viewsCoco

All good to me - some contradictions sure but at least it appears he has focussed his mind again.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:06 - Sep 10 with 5769 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 08:50 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

Very uneasy about that. I am pleased with a lot of what Lambert says there (if obviously very frustrated it's come to this) and it'll be good to see us sticking to a plan, assuming we do. But if Jackson leaves there are not enough goals in this squad to get us promoted.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:06 - Sep 10 with 5771 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:02 - Sep 10 by MonkeyAlan

His idea is right. But we don't have the pace in the squad to play that type of football. Jackson aside, most would be beaten for pace by an arthritic tortoise. Also Jackson just isn't the right player to play that type of football, so that's the only pace gone.

Don't really see that - the best work that Jackson did last season was working channels, getting crosses in etc - that's why he isn't really suited to be a lone central striker, because he's too mobile and isn't really a johnny on the spot fox-in-the-box type striker.

Added to that he's fit and a hard worker, so can't really see the problem with using him in a wide forward position.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:06 - Sep 10 with 5770 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:01 - Sep 10 by gordon

Yup, giving Alan Judge and Gwion Edwards game time as wide forwards in the first two games but not seeing Jackson in that role is pretty concerning.

I think you need balance with regards to one forward and one winger int he roles.

Freddie and Judge looked good, Gwion and Judge didn't.

For now I'd have it as Freddie or Jack Lank and Gwion or Judge

One player with instinct to feed, and the other with instinct to get in the box

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:07 - Sep 10 with 5763 viewsEwan_Oozami

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:00 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

I'm not convinced that it would - maybe Lambert just doesn't see what he wants in a wide striker as he is best working from in to out and his touch etc not always the best

I think if he does go that we need another striker though, even if just a loanee as putting season on Norwood's shoulders is a risk

Can't get rid of Jackson - proven goalscorer at this level with pace - agreed there's a lot on Norwood's (and Drinan's) shoulders if Lambert can't turn Jackson into a wide striker - seems crazy to lose a goalscoring resource when that was what we struggled with last season - I doubt we could get anyone in who's much better?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:08 - Sep 10 with 5752 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:06 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

Very uneasy about that. I am pleased with a lot of what Lambert says there (if obviously very frustrated it's come to this) and it'll be good to see us sticking to a plan, assuming we do. But if Jackson leaves there are not enough goals in this squad to get us promoted.

It relies on Freddie/Jack Lankester getting 20 goals between them and Norwood/Hawkins doing the same.

A big ask, and think we will be one striker light if Jackson does go and that we'd need to sign another 9 if he does

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:11 - Sep 10 with 5713 viewsBeckets

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:08 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

It relies on Freddie/Jack Lankester getting 20 goals between them and Norwood/Hawkins doing the same.

A big ask, and think we will be one striker light if Jackson does go and that we'd need to sign another 9 if he does

Yes. In Liverpool’s case the wide players Sane and Salah tend to score more than the central player Firminho. Sears has to be nailed on for one of the two wide positions for that reason.
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:13 - Sep 10 with 5692 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:08 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

We would, because while I think a fit Norwood over a season could be just about enough the other options are a massive step down. It's a tough one. Think Jackson needs to stay tbh.

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:14 - Sep 10 with 5679 viewsportmanking

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:13 - Sep 10 by SomethingBlue

We would, because while I think a fit Norwood over a season could be just about enough the other options are a massive step down. It's a tough one. Think Jackson needs to stay tbh.

You don't rate Hawkins then?
Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:18 - Sep 10 with 5639 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:14 - Sep 10 by portmanking

You don't rate Hawkins then?

I actually do, as someone we can mix things up with who can also bring others into the play. Has even shown a few signs already that he'll be effective. But he's not going to score many.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 9:19]

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:20 - Sep 10 with 5630 viewsgordon

Lambert interview in the EADT on 09:06 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

I think you need balance with regards to one forward and one winger int he roles.

Freddie and Judge looked good, Gwion and Judge didn't.

For now I'd have it as Freddie or Jack Lank and Gwion or Judge

One player with instinct to feed, and the other with instinct to get in the box

The problem will come in games when we aren't controlling possession, are penned in a bit deeper, and have to make the most of the opportunity to break every time we win it back - that's when having someone like Judge in one of those wide forward positions is really problematic, because in those situations it's so important that the wide forwards are able to carry the ball at speed, and get close to the central striker quickly when we break.

When we're at home, have lots of possession, and there's time for players like Bishop or the full-backs to run beyond him, it doesn't look so bad because someone like Judge will drop wider or deeper to get on the ball a lot in easy positions, play some nice passes etc - but in my view, given the quality we have in the squad, both players in those positions really ought to be capable of hurting the opposition.

That was one of the many problems last season, that our many foot-on-the-ball midfielders (excepting Downes on occasion) weren't able to break quick enough either with or without the ball to catch teams on the break, exploit gaps etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024