Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? 10:07 - Sep 11 with 4089 viewsCoco

Nft

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:14 - Sep 11 with 3577 viewsitfcjoe

That will help us cement ourselves as a mid table League 1 side, 5 seasons in a row they haven't qualified for the play offs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:17 - Sep 11 with 3556 viewsCoco

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:14 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

That will help us cement ourselves as a mid table League 1 side, 5 seasons in a row they haven't qualified for the play offs

But they have a knack of buying low and selling high no? And with a small budget.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:19 - Sep 11 with 3543 viewsBlueBadger

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:14 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

And let's face it, Lambert's already doing a more than able job at that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:22 - Sep 11 with 3540 viewsitfcjoe

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:17 - Sep 11 by Coco

But they have a knack of buying low and selling high no? And with a small budget.

They are good salesmen, but they just play in a way that showcases strikers off and sells them for a profit, which is fine but it hasn't really got them anywhere.

They make a lot of noise, and do some good deals - but ultimately since they were relegated for all the money they've made they've finished 6th, 9th, 13th, 11th, 9th and 7th - I'd imagine clubs with much smaller budgets have been promoted in the mean time when you consider Burton, Wycombe, even Rotherham to an extent.

They get a lot of plaudits for their scouting but it doesn't get them anywhere

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:24 - Sep 11 with 3523 viewsMetal_Hacker

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:22 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

They are good salesmen, but they just play in a way that showcases strikers off and sells them for a profit, which is fine but it hasn't really got them anywhere.

They make a lot of noise, and do some good deals - but ultimately since they were relegated for all the money they've made they've finished 6th, 9th, 13th, 11th, 9th and 7th - I'd imagine clubs with much smaller budgets have been promoted in the mean time when you consider Burton, Wycombe, even Rotherham to an extent.

Hasn't got them anywhere ...YET

I guess the OP's point being they've a better chance than we have from the off

The scouting one day WILL pay off I'm sure of that

Perhaps they still haven't hit on the right manager...which rings a bell

Poll: If it were one or the other

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 3496 viewsitfcjoe

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:24 - Sep 11 by Metal_Hacker

Hasn't got them anywhere ...YET

I guess the OP's point being they've a better chance than we have from the off

The scouting one day WILL pay off I'm sure of that

Perhaps they still haven't hit on the right manager...which rings a bell

It hasn't - but they've been doing this for years and years and not got anywhere with it as yet.

I like a lot of what they do, and they do get lots right - but ultimately they have finished 6th once in the 6 years since they got relegated - in that time they've had Assombalonga, Marriott, Toney, etc and not even got into the play offs from League 1.

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 3494 viewsCoco

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:22 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

So let's try and be good at finding players AND getting somewhere?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:31 - Sep 11 with 3484 viewsMetal_Hacker

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:30 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

It hasn't - but they've been doing this for years and years and not got anywhere with it as yet.

I like a lot of what they do, and they do get lots right - but ultimately they have finished 6th once in the 6 years since they got relegated - in that time they've had Assombalonga, Marriott, Toney, etc and not even got into the play offs from League 1.

So the scouting isn't the issue it's thereafter ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:34 - Sep 11 with 3468 viewsjayessess

Seeing as we've paid one fee for a player since 2018, what would be the point?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The problem with Peterborough.... on 10:36 - Sep 11 with 3463 viewsBloots

....(apart from the fact that it's in Peterborough) is that each year they have one or two outstanding players at this level, but the rest are a steaming pile of dog crap.

End of lesson.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The problem with Peterborough.... on 10:40 - Sep 11 with 3429 viewsportmanking

The problem with Peterborough.... on 10:36 - Sep 11 by Bloots

....(apart from the fact that it's in Peterborough) is that each year they have one or two outstanding players at this level, but the rest are a steaming pile of dog crap.

End of lesson.

Tad harsh perhaps.

But I do think they almost always get the balance wrong between attack and defence.
Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:40 - Sep 11 with 3435 viewsitfcjoe

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:31 - Sep 11 by Metal_Hacker

So the scouting isn't the issue it's thereafter ?

Are they scouting players to purely make a profit, or to get promoted.

It's easier to showcase a talented striker and put everything through them so they score 20 goals and get a big move than it is to have a functioning team with the right parts to have success - scouting should be a bout the latter not the former.

Look at norwich, in 17/18 they finished 13th but just spent the whole season buttering James Maddison up for a sale - every single bit of play or set piece went through him. So he led the league in assists and key passes, chances created, etc. They then sold him for £25m and replaced him with a bunch of no-marks and went from 13th to 1st.

Peterborough may get the showcasing right, but they clearly don't get the rest right

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:40 - Sep 11 with 3436 viewsBlueBadger

Aren't they basically operating on a poor man's version of the Brentford model? I realise that the whole 'don't bother to develop your own players and hope to keep signing good ones and make a profit' model which is totally not an accident waiting to happen is currently attractive for a few here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:46 - Sep 11 with 3408 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

The owner MacAnthony said on his podcast that the scouts are directly employed by him not the club, so that they specifically scout for his profile of player (normally strikers). He said the club only employ scouts for opposition profiling.

Certainly an interesting way of employing staff!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:56 - Sep 11 with 3361 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:46 - Sep 11 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

The owner MacAnthony said on his podcast that the scouts are directly employed by him not the club, so that they specifically scout for his profile of player (normally strikers). He said the club only employ scouts for opposition profiling.

Certainly an interesting way of employing staff!

...do scouts usually form part of the salary cap?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:59 - Sep 11 with 3347 viewsitfcjoe

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:56 - Sep 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

...do scouts usually form part of the salary cap?

Nope

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:59 - Sep 11 with 3342 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:59 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

Nope

Hmmm, cant really see why he would employ his scouts directly.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 11:26 - Sep 11 with 3265 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:40 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

Are they scouting players to purely make a profit, or to get promoted.

It's easier to showcase a talented striker and put everything through them so they score 20 goals and get a big move than it is to have a functioning team with the right parts to have success - scouting should be a bout the latter not the former.

Look at norwich, in 17/18 they finished 13th but just spent the whole season buttering James Maddison up for a sale - every single bit of play or set piece went through him. So he led the league in assists and key passes, chances created, etc. They then sold him for £25m and replaced him with a bunch of no-marks and went from 13th to 1st.

Peterborough may get the showcasing right, but they clearly don't get the rest right

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Toney had far more chances than any other striker in the league. That could be down to his own guile and creativity, are as you suggest, it could be down to focussing your whole team on creating for one player.

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 13:25 - Sep 11 with 3139 viewsChrisd

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 10:30 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

One thing they do scout well is a striker, which invariably marks up well in their favour.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 13:42 - Sep 11 with 3107 viewsMonkeyAlan

What's the point in selling big if you can't reinvest the money. Seems pointless now.
Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 13:50 - Sep 11 with 3091 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 16:21 - Sep 11 with 2980 viewsSuffolkPOSH

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 13:25 - Sep 11 by Chrisd

One thing they do scout well is a striker, which invariably marks up well in their favour.

Posh's scouting system identified Norwood as a key target and tried signing him but were beaten by Ipswich. I wonder how his career would have differed if he had chosen Posh over Ipswich.
Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 16:44 - Sep 11 with 2940 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I've been saying this for years. The best move you can get as a young striker in lower division is Peterborough. They know Strikers have a premium and their whole model is to play offensive football to the strikers strengths and get lots of goals. Strikers/AM looks class and they sell for millions. Club does well but the generally struggle in the league as over a season you need to have some smarts in your tactics.

How many Peterborough AM/Strikers go on to do as well? Taylor for us (oh dear). Even Marriett has struggled since even though he was pinned up as a massive failure to release him. He hasn't made it at champ level.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 18:26 - Sep 11 with 2879 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 16:21 - Sep 11 by SuffolkPOSH

Posh's scouting system identified Norwood as a key target and tried signing him but were beaten by Ipswich. I wonder how his career would have differed if he had chosen Posh over Ipswich.

And Jackson. Both I suspect would have scored more in there way of playing. Jackson would be more than normal mold in age to sell on.

Let's not confuse scoring more goals with being a great team though.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 18:47 - Sep 11 with 2858 viewsSuffolkPOSH

Can we not just hire Peterborough’s entire scouting team? on 18:26 - Sep 11 by Terry_Nutkins

And Jackson. Both I suspect would have scored more in there way of playing. Jackson would be more than normal mold in age to sell on.

Let's not confuse scoring more goals with being a great team though.

I don't recall Posh being in for Jackson but if we were he wasn't a main target.

Who's suggesting Posh are/have been a "great team". We've been largely an entainting team which have ultiimately flattered to deceive. My point regarding Norwood is, would it not have been better for his own career if he had gone to Posh rather than Ipswich.

Also to whoever pointed out that it has been several years since Posh have made the play offs would you not agree that Posh only missed out on the play off last season due to the EFL's weak leadership pandering to all those clubs who didn't want to complete the season due to financial reasons rather than footballing reasons.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2020 18:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024