Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fairly uninspiring but several positives 13:55 - Sep 13 with 5910 viewsJ2BLUE

Ward looks solid and his experience was clear to see

Makeshift defence and a clean sheet

Two goals from players we probably wouldn't expect goals from

KVY, Woolf, Downes and Jackson are all key absentees

Wigan didn't have a single shot on target. This is reminiscent of the start of last season where we gave away plenty of chances but few shots on target. They had 10 off target which is worrying but you have to wonder if we're putting enough pressure on that these chances are not as good as they seem especially as it continues the pattern of last season.

I'm pretty satisfied with that result...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:00 - Sep 13 with 3900 viewsHerbivore

Very patchy performance. Played well for 15-20 minutes in the first half but otherwise looked quite disjointed. Thought we were fortunate not to concede with the chances they created. Lots of work to do and we need a couple of players back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:04 - Sep 13 with 3864 viewsGarv

Particularly leaky from set pieces. Roberts puts a great ball in but on that showing I can see us conceding a few from wide areas and corners.

Wilson was okay but Woolfenden should make a big difference to that side from an attacking perspective.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:04 - Sep 13 with 3858 viewsAce_High1

And the main positive is that Libby has deleted his account, he would combust at the positive comments regarding Bishop getting a goal.
Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:06 - Sep 13 with 3844 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You rarely score from a shot off target. At this level, I think teams are far less clinical than the higher leagues. We need to create and take chances. 14 shots, 7 on target, 2 goals. Happy enough with that. Clean sheet a bonus too. Can't ask for much more than 3 points, no injuries and no sending offs.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:07 - Sep 13 with 3833 viewsJ2BLUE

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:04 - Sep 13 by Ace_High1

And the main positive is that Libby has deleted his account, he would combust at the positive comments regarding Bishop getting a goal.

I miss Libby but he didn't rate McGoldrick so his opinion on football is about as useful as my opinion on Masterchef.

Truly impaired.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:07 - Sep 13 with 3825 viewsSE1blue

Two very similar teams in my eyes. Missing chances up front and dodgy at the back.

A good result and encouraging signs there.

Midfield went missing in second half and I think PL actually made the right subs.

Sears should never be allowed to take free kicks again.

Fitness is clearly an issue for some. A couple of our subs were huffing and puffing after only 20 mins of play.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:16 - Sep 13 with 3742 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:00 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

Very patchy performance. Played well for 15-20 minutes in the first half but otherwise looked quite disjointed. Thought we were fortunate not to concede with the chances they created. Lots of work to do and we need a couple of players back.

Can't believe you're finding negatives from that. I missed the first 20 but what I saw was pretty decent. Won 2-0, could've easily had a couple more, lots of our best players out, no shots on target from Wigan...

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:28 - Sep 13 with 3671 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:07 - Sep 13 by SE1blue

Two very similar teams in my eyes. Missing chances up front and dodgy at the back.

A good result and encouraging signs there.

Midfield went missing in second half and I think PL actually made the right subs.

Sears should never be allowed to take free kicks again.

Fitness is clearly an issue for some. A couple of our subs were huffing and puffing after only 20 mins of play.

Biggest difference was taking chances. They only had 7 shots and put none on target. We took twice as many shots, got half of them on target and scored 2.

You are right about Sears and free kicks. Those two should have worked the keeper at least.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:55 - Sep 13 with 3601 viewsHerbivore

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:16 - Sep 13 by BrixtonBlue

Can't believe you're finding negatives from that. I missed the first 20 but what I saw was pretty decent. Won 2-0, could've easily had a couple more, lots of our best players out, no shots on target from Wigan...

First 20 minutes we were very lucky not to concede a couple of goals. We started poorly. Second half was very disjointed. Wigan have thrown a team together and only had a new manager in post for 2 days. Glad we won but there's work to do if we're going to challenge this season.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:59 - Sep 13 with 3565 viewspointofblue

Out of those ten I can recall three clear chances - Obi's two headers and Garner's overhead kick. Otherwise I think they were speculative.

We had the two goals, Bishop hit the post via the keeper, Drinan hit the bar, Sears had two free kicks he should have done better with really (though at least they weren't an embarrassment) and there was that beautiful move in the first half when the ball should have really been cut back to Drinan.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:01 - Sep 13 with 3554 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 14:55 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

First 20 minutes we were very lucky not to concede a couple of goals. We started poorly. Second half was very disjointed. Wigan have thrown a team together and only had a new manager in post for 2 days. Glad we won but there's work to do if we're going to challenge this season.

I think you're overstating that disjointed second half. We scored one, should've had 2 more through Wilson and Edwards (again), and Wigan had nothing on target.

You also say Wigan had thrown a team together but we had at least 4 starters out.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:03 - Sep 13 with 3543 viewsHerbivore

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:01 - Sep 13 by BrixtonBlue

I think you're overstating that disjointed second half. We scored one, should've had 2 more through Wilson and Edwards (again), and Wigan had nothing on target.

You also say Wigan had thrown a team together but we had at least 4 starters out.

But that squad has been together for a long time and was full of players with plenty of experience. Wigan have literally had to cobble a squad together to start the season. Their situation isn't really comparable to us having a couple of injuries. Woolf aside that was the same line up that started last Saturday.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:03 - Sep 13 with 3543 viewsBloomBlue

New manager syndrome, there have been numerous times over the years a team has lost lots of games and then within a couple of days of a new manager arriving they win the next game. 1st league game of the season, new manager, Wigan players were bound to be up for it.
Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:05 - Sep 13 with 3524 viewsChrisd

I agree with you here Herbivore. Those two free headers that the young Wigan defender didn't even get on target was shameful. Although we did have spells and played some good football, Wigan were the better side and probably felt hard done by going into half time behind. For a makeshift side, quickly thrown together the Latcis appeared the better collective unit generally, which doesn't really say much for us. Getting the win and 3 points is the most important thing, but do I think we could be promotion contenders? Not based on that display. Hopefully, it will give us a platform to build from.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:06 - Sep 13 with 3511 viewspointofblue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:05 - Sep 13 by Chrisd

I agree with you here Herbivore. Those two free headers that the young Wigan defender didn't even get on target was shameful. Although we did have spells and played some good football, Wigan were the better side and probably felt hard done by going into half time behind. For a makeshift side, quickly thrown together the Latcis appeared the better collective unit generally, which doesn't really say much for us. Getting the win and 3 points is the most important thing, but do I think we could be promotion contenders? Not based on that display. Hopefully, it will give us a platform to build from.

I'd accept we should and must do better but I wouldn't go as far as saying Wigan were the better side - nowhere near.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:06 - Sep 13 with 3509 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:03 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

But that squad has been together for a long time and was full of players with plenty of experience. Wigan have literally had to cobble a squad together to start the season. Their situation isn't really comparable to us having a couple of injuries. Woolf aside that was the same line up that started last Saturday.

This is our first league game. Last Saturday was pretty much a friendly. Be fair Herbs, you know we were a long way from our strongest team, and we weren't troubled.

How about the first part of my post? Care to answer that?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:07 - Sep 13 with 3498 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:03 - Sep 13 by BloomBlue

New manager syndrome, there have been numerous times over the years a team has lost lots of games and then within a couple of days of a new manager arriving they win the next game. 1st league game of the season, new manager, Wigan players were bound to be up for it.

Can't believe Herbs has downarrowed this. It's a fact that players raise their game when a new manager comes in. It's obvious.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:09 - Sep 13 with 3473 viewsChrisd

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:06 - Sep 13 by pointofblue

I'd accept we should and must do better but I wouldn't go as far as saying Wigan were the better side - nowhere near.

If I was in their dressing room I'd be disappointed that we didn't get something from that game.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:09 - Sep 13 with 3472 viewsJ2BLUE

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:06 - Sep 13 by BrixtonBlue

This is our first league game. Last Saturday was pretty much a friendly. Be fair Herbs, you know we were a long way from our strongest team, and we weren't troubled.

I think he's being pretty fair. Lots of postives and lots to improve on.

I think the entire football world underestimated Wigan. I've never seen a match where a team starts at odds of 1.57, goes 1-0 up and the odds remain at 1.57. I checked several bookies to make sure this was genuinely the case. I think the punters soon realised this wasn't the walkover many suspected it would be.

Truly impaired.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:09 - Sep 13 with 3465 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:05 - Sep 13 by Chrisd

I love how you disregard all our chances in your analysis. And, indeed, two goals.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:12 - Sep 13 with 3441 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:09 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

I think he's being pretty fair. Lots of postives and lots to improve on.

I think the entire football world underestimated Wigan. I've never seen a match where a team starts at odds of 1.57, goes 1-0 up and the odds remain at 1.57. I checked several bookies to make sure this was genuinely the case. I think the punters soon realised this wasn't the walkover many suspected it would be.

Fair play to Wigan. But I'm struggling to see why so many on here seem to have lots to moan about after a solid win. Oh yeah, it's the Lambert-outers.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:12 - Sep 13 with 3437 viewsHerbivore

We were troubled. We should have conceded two goals before you even started watching the game. They created chances thereafter but thankfully for us their finishing was really poor. And yes, we have a few players missing but that's not comparable to Wigan literally cobbling a squad together whilst in administration. They've lost 15-20 players since last season.

Look, we had a decent spell of about 20-25 minutes where the midfield trio bossed the game and we were looking like we could put them to bed. Second half was pretty poor and first 20 minutes likewise. I think that's a perfectly fair assessment of our performance today.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:14 - Sep 13 with 3420 viewsChrisd

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:09 - Sep 13 by BrixtonBlue

I love how you disregard all our chances in your analysis. And, indeed, two goals.

Their keeper wasn't overly worked, like Holy really. I agree BB we did create chances, I'm not disputing that, but so did they and if Garner had those headed chances instead of their young defender it could've been a different story. Lets not forget, Garner also hit the crossbar during that first half. We were far from comfortable at times today and that was against a side that is in dire straits. Nevertheless, we won and there were some encouraging displays. On to the next game.

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:24 - Sep 13 with 3362 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just got i man from ferrying the kids to swim training. Sounds like I missed a game where we still trying to ease into the season against a patched up, sad opposition. 3 points is all we can ask for though. I’d have bitten anyone’s hand of for 3 points towards the end of last season.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fairly uninspiring but several positives on 15:28 - Sep 13 with 3328 viewsgordon

Of their outfield players they had two players they brought in as free-agents a few days ago, 4 players with some pedigree at this level (or higher), and 4 youngsters who've never been first-team players before with a handful of games between them. That was the weakest team we'll face in the league this season by some distance. It shouldn't have been a contest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024