Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game 16:40 - Sep 13 with 57809 viewscarlisleaway

Yes BLM but come on this was months ago
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 07:25 - Sep 15 with 3382 viewsHerbivore

Ten people have up arrowed this (excluding Keno's mistaken one). I repeat: the absolute state of you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:35 - Sep 15 with 3296 viewsROKERITE

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 16:48 - Sep 13 by Mullet

Racism?

This country is riven with racism, it elected a racist PM and a cabinet full of them by courting the views and fears of racists. These are the type of people happy to let kids starve over the summer during a pandemic and make you worry about a few desperate people in dinghies fleeing bombs and bastards our country has helped to put there.

A few footballers are kneeling on the pitch for barely seconds. Who really cares what they're doing when the issue is all about why. Go and have a look at how Andre Dozzell felt about the issue a few weeks ago, maybe you'll change your mind when you see how it affects our players?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 09:43 - Sep 15 with 3282 viewsROKERITE

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 16:48 - Sep 13 by Mullet

Racism?

This country is riven with racism, it elected a racist PM and a cabinet full of them by courting the views and fears of racists. These are the type of people happy to let kids starve over the summer during a pandemic and make you worry about a few desperate people in dinghies fleeing bombs and bastards our country has helped to put there.

A few footballers are kneeling on the pitch for barely seconds. Who really cares what they're doing when the issue is all about why. Go and have a look at how Andre Dozzell felt about the issue a few weeks ago, maybe you'll change your mind when you see how it affects our players?

Greetings from sunny Roker Mullet. Your post yesterday afternoon was fair and reasonable. I'm quoting this one because it's what made me mention you rather than the many others I could have done.
To write that this country is "riven" with racism is simply ridiculous. To call Johnson and his cabinet racists is preposterous. To claim that they are the type of people happy to let children starve during the pandemic is ludicrous.
I'm an elderly man now but I was a young man in the 1970's. I still wouldn't have used the words riven by racism to describe this country even then. But racism was certainly common place then. Racist comments, racist views were everywhere. Hundreds of football fans would chant vile racist insults at any poor young black player in an opposition side. Fans wouldn't hesitate to shout racist epithets at their own black player if he made a mistake.
To see this country as it is now is to see the incredible progress that has been made. Each incident of racism is now headlines in the media. That this is the case underlines the rarity of racism in today's Britain. A racist act is now regarded as shocking. Racism will never be completely eradicated. Immigrants to this country have in many cases brought their prejudices with them. Identity politics pours fuel on the smouldering embers of racism.
Watch some of Larry Elder on youtube if you don't want to read Dr Sowell. Again you will find a very different take on events to that in the mainstream media and he is talking about the USA which most certainly has bigger problems than we do. Take a look at Elder's analysis of Kaepernick.
The old saying "It isn't folks ignorance that is the problem. It's knowing so many things that ain't so" is very apt when it comes to matters of race. As someone of a certain age I very much agree with this quote from Dr Sowell: If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical sixty years ago, a liberal thirty years ago and a racist today.
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 09:46 - Sep 15 with 3279 viewsHerbivore

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 09:43 - Sep 15 by ROKERITE

Greetings from sunny Roker Mullet. Your post yesterday afternoon was fair and reasonable. I'm quoting this one because it's what made me mention you rather than the many others I could have done.
To write that this country is "riven" with racism is simply ridiculous. To call Johnson and his cabinet racists is preposterous. To claim that they are the type of people happy to let children starve during the pandemic is ludicrous.
I'm an elderly man now but I was a young man in the 1970's. I still wouldn't have used the words riven by racism to describe this country even then. But racism was certainly common place then. Racist comments, racist views were everywhere. Hundreds of football fans would chant vile racist insults at any poor young black player in an opposition side. Fans wouldn't hesitate to shout racist epithets at their own black player if he made a mistake.
To see this country as it is now is to see the incredible progress that has been made. Each incident of racism is now headlines in the media. That this is the case underlines the rarity of racism in today's Britain. A racist act is now regarded as shocking. Racism will never be completely eradicated. Immigrants to this country have in many cases brought their prejudices with them. Identity politics pours fuel on the smouldering embers of racism.
Watch some of Larry Elder on youtube if you don't want to read Dr Sowell. Again you will find a very different take on events to that in the mainstream media and he is talking about the USA which most certainly has bigger problems than we do. Take a look at Elder's analysis of Kaepernick.
The old saying "It isn't folks ignorance that is the problem. It's knowing so many things that ain't so" is very apt when it comes to matters of race. As someone of a certain age I very much agree with this quote from Dr Sowell: If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical sixty years ago, a liberal thirty years ago and a racist today.

This is all really rather detached from reality.

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 10:58 - Sep 15 with 3218 viewsAtractorive

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 09:43 - Sep 15 by ROKERITE

"Racist comments, racist views were everywhere. Hundreds of football fans would chant vile racist insults at any poor young black player in an opposition side. Fans wouldn't hesitate to shout racist epithets at their own black player if he made a mistake. "

I can literally think of several similar incidents in football within the last 2 years. The only difference is that cowards now have social media to hide behind to shout their vile abuse. It doesn't make it any less racist.

So you're wrong.
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:09 - Sep 15 with 3199 viewsEwan_Oozami

I think Mullet was using "riven" in the sense that racism issues split the country and is a dividing force, even now. Not in the sense of being "all-pervasive" - which seems to be a common use of the word "riven" nowadays.

I was brought up in South London in the 60s and 70s so I saw the racism towards my friends and their families at first hand, it was overt and widespread - now, the racism is more covert, or on social media and still widespread.

As for your last sentence, if you hold people to the same rules and standards, you have to remember two things:

1. Who makes those standards and rules?
2. What should happen if the people who've made those standards and rules break those standards and rules?
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 11:12]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:11 - Sep 15 with 3194 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh FFS

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:13 - Sep 15 with 3181 viewsHalf_Idiot

This post is so incredibly naive and ignorant.

"To call Johnson and his cabinet racists is preposterous." There is plenty of evidence of BJ and his cabinet members making racist remarks, it only takes a minute on google to find this. Only recently a Tory MP blamed BAME communities for spikes in coronavirus cases.

You say that even in the 70's you wouldn't describe the country as riven with racism then go on to state that racism was common place and then further describe a country riven with racism. If you don't think what you have described there is an issue then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Your comments regarding immigrants bringing prejudices with them is disgraceful and really highlights your own, already obvious prejudices.

I see you like to name the few black conservatives to support your view point. Perhaps instead of reading articles/books etc written by people that share your view point you should look at the actual statistics, reports and studies that show racism and systemic racism is still very prevalent.
Login to get fewer ads

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:17 - Sep 15 with 3164 viewsjaseitfc2015

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 00:04 - Sep 15 by loftboy

My partner is half Indian and half German and she describes herself as mixed race and having experienced a lot of racism growing up in Watford in the 1970’s is very sensitive to what is acceptable and what isn’t.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 0:07]

Sums up this board doesn't it , white people talking on behalf of people of colour, yet most of them have probably never discussed race with any person of colour.

My daughter is mixed race
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:28 - Sep 15 with 3130 viewsjeera

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:17 - Sep 15 by jaseitfc2015

Sums up this board doesn't it , white people talking on behalf of people of colour, yet most of them have probably never discussed race with any person of colour.

"Sums up this board"

So, to be clear, are you for generalisation in principle, or against it?

The majority of this board are anti-racist which can only be a good thing.

I know my mother, her siblings (as children) and their mother were told to eff off home in the street many times, so I have my own personal feelings on the matter too and my view is that anti-racists tend to be the good guys in comparison, so not too much need to look for fault there.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:30 - Sep 15 with 3127 viewsROKERITE

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:13 - Sep 15 by Half_Idiot

This post is so incredibly naive and ignorant.

"To call Johnson and his cabinet racists is preposterous." There is plenty of evidence of BJ and his cabinet members making racist remarks, it only takes a minute on google to find this. Only recently a Tory MP blamed BAME communities for spikes in coronavirus cases.

You say that even in the 70's you wouldn't describe the country as riven with racism then go on to state that racism was common place and then further describe a country riven with racism. If you don't think what you have described there is an issue then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Your comments regarding immigrants bringing prejudices with them is disgraceful and really highlights your own, already obvious prejudices.

I see you like to name the few black conservatives to support your view point. Perhaps instead of reading articles/books etc written by people that share your view point you should look at the actual statistics, reports and studies that show racism and systemic racism is still very prevalent.

Malcolm X said the real enemy of the black man isn't the overt racist , it's the white liberal. You are a perfect example of what he meant. Your patronising view that immigrants don't have faults and foibles but are somehow exempt from prejudices is what allows evil to flourish. See what Maajid Nawaz has to say about holding some communities to a lesser standard than the rest.
The bigot here is you.
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:39 - Sep 15 with 3102 viewsAtractorive

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:30 - Sep 15 by ROKERITE

Malcolm X said the real enemy of the black man isn't the overt racist , it's the white liberal. You are a perfect example of what he meant. Your patronising view that immigrants don't have faults and foibles but are somehow exempt from prejudices is what allows evil to flourish. See what Maajid Nawaz has to say about holding some communities to a lesser standard than the rest.
The bigot here is you.

What is your actual problem with players taking the knee before the game?
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game (n/t) on 11:44 - Sep 15 with 3089 viewsAtractorive

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:17 - Sep 15 by jaseitfc2015

[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 11:46]
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 12:55 - Sep 15 with 3021 viewsjaseitfc2015

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:28 - Sep 15 by jeera

"Sums up this board"

So, to be clear, are you for generalisation in principle, or against it?

The majority of this board are anti-racist which can only be a good thing.

I know my mother, her siblings (as children) and their mother were told to eff off home in the street many times, so I have my own personal feelings on the matter too and my view is that anti-racists tend to be the good guys in comparison, so not too much need to look for fault there.

Anti Racists are of course not even in the same conversation as racists, to be told "mixed race" is offensive though is the kind of nonsense you see here.

This board in my view has a few knuckle dragging racists , it also have a few "anti racists" who need to educate themselves, but that's another discussion. The overlying principle however that everyone should be against racism is something no one with a brain, no one with an ounce of decent should go against. If you are racist in 2020 or in fact have been a racist over the last 10-20 years you dont deserve a seat at the table.
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:01 - Sep 15 with 3010 viewsTieDyedIn95

Just to note this thread and Facebook comments have been picked up by some Essex based Spam fans. We're now being painted as a racist club. Ironic given a lot of Spam fans views...

While I am in the camp of i'd rather see action then empty platitudes on race (nor do I beleive the Premier League is doing anything genuine on this based on their record) - we do need to as a support stand by our black players, staff and fans who are who we are supporting as much as anyone with these gestures of solidarity.

Even if you do not support the politics, support the people.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:17 - Sep 15 with 2974 viewsRyorry

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:01 - Sep 15 by TieDyedIn95

Just to note this thread and Facebook comments have been picked up by some Essex based Spam fans. We're now being painted as a racist club. Ironic given a lot of Spam fans views...

While I am in the camp of i'd rather see action then empty platitudes on race (nor do I beleive the Premier League is doing anything genuine on this based on their record) - we do need to as a support stand by our black players, staff and fans who are who we are supporting as much as anyone with these gestures of solidarity.

That's absolutely ridiculous (edit - re your first para I mean). In response to one comment on taking the knee before each game, by just one of our fans, this thread has done more to educate people about racism and thus combat it, than anything I've seen in other media at any time.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 13:19]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:30 - Sep 15 with 2934 viewsJ2BLUE

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:01 - Sep 15 by TieDyedIn95

West Ham fans can clearly see how this thread has gone.

You can't judge an entire fanbase by a minority of dickheads.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:33 - Sep 15 with 2927 viewsHalf_Idiot

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 11:30 - Sep 15 by ROKERITE

The bigot here is you.

My understanding of Malcolm X's comments, correct me if I'm wrong though, is that he did not believe that the politicians that labelled themselves liberals were actually trying to solve the issues and were acting in a deceitful way. He did believe that there were white people who wanted change, he just didn't believe it was the politicians calling themselves liberals. Being as I am not a politician and am just a genuine advocate for justice and equality I don't believe I am an example of what he meant.

I didn't say that I believe immigrants don't have faults. I just stated stated that your crass generalisation of immigrants bringing prejudices to the UK is disgraceful. There are far more racial hate crimes against immigrants than there are from them. What allows evil to flourish is people that outright deny that the evil exists. This ignorant view that there is not a racism issue ingrained within our society allows it flourish.

I suppose I am intolerant to racists and ignorant people that continue to deny that racism is an issue despite all the information available.
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:25 - Sep 15 with 2861 viewsHerbivore

Not sure how it "sums this board up" when it was one person, a known contrarian, who claimed the term mixed race was utterly offensive and pretty much everyone else on the thread has since called him out for talking b0llocks. It's notable the one person who made the claim has now disappeared rather than trying to defend his position.

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:37 - Sep 15 with 2829 viewsDubtractor

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 13:17 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

That's absolutely ridiculous (edit - re your first para I mean). In response to one comment on taking the knee before each game, by just one of our fans, this thread has done more to educate people about racism and thus combat it, than anything I've seen in other media at any time.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 13:19]

The facebook comments are a car crash tbf and there are loads of so called ITFC fans coming out with ignorant bullsh1t.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:39 - Sep 15 with 2821 viewsBiGDonnie

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 19:14 - Sep 13 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I'm only up to this point in the thread, but to bring out the rainbow flag is either the silliest thing I've seen on here after the response the op got, or trolling level 1000000000.

Looking forward to the rest of this belter.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:46 - Sep 15 with 2804 viewsDubtractor

The bigot here is you.

1) WTF does any of that even mean.

2) I'm going to call it, but I reckon what Malcolm X referred to when he stated 'white liberals' is not the same as what you would refer to as white liberals.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:55 - Sep 15 with 2785 viewsjaseitfc2015

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:25 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

Not sure how it "sums this board up" when it was one person, a known contrarian, who claimed the term mixed race was utterly offensive and pretty much everyone else on the thread has since called him out for talking b0llocks. It's notable the one person who made the claim has now disappeared rather than trying to defend his position.

Its all too often though.

Anyway , hope you are doing OK
Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 15:01 - Sep 15 with 2762 viewsHerbivore

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:55 - Sep 15 by jaseitfc2015

I'm doing fine thanks mate, hope you are too. Just disappointed you feel that particular post and poster is representative of the board as he really isn't.

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 15:01 - Sep 15 with 2761 viewsStokieBlue

Why oh why do we continue with the knee before each game on 14:55 - Sep 15 by jaseitfc2015

Edit:

Don't worry, I saw your original post but not a subsequent post which was much clearer.

I agree with Herbs here though, the board is generally calling out those posters and consistently challenging them. Nobody can prevent them from existing but what can be done is to challenge them when views are aired.

SB
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 15:03]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024