Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My main issues with a PRP team 16:59 - Sep 13 with 5926 viewsBluefish

The thing that had been here throughout has been the ability to connect the lines, moving from defence to midfield to attack in a seamless way. His sides have always been happy keeping the ball in the midfield line but it doesn't move forward well enough to join the lines to the attack. After today this is still apparent for a couple of reasons.

The target man making it stick - i missed most of the 1st half today getting back from my son's match so hard to comment on Drinan today but in the BR game he was also guilty of this. Norwood is a funny one, he is a sh*thouse type striker but he wants to roam. This means he is often found wide when we need someone in the middle to make the ball stick and then feed in the runners on either side. If the play isn't central we lose options to stretch teams, it is easier to contain teams if they can't switch and link left and right through the central player.

The dynamic links - judge and sears are tidy footballers but they are not dynamic players that cross those positional lines unexpectedly at the blink of an eye. They are both players to put a foot on the ball and look to keep possession. For me we need players that we drop a shoulder and be gone, Bishop does this so well without a great deal of pace but that unit should all do it. I would like to see us abandon the safe today judge and sears and make our unit 3 from dobra Bishop el mizouni and lankester.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My main issues with a PRP team on 09:53 - Sep 14 with 3781 viewsBluefish

I'm going to this because I think it is important. I gear we will get caught up in goodish results and being in and around the top again and lose sight of the parts of the tactics/team that are holding us back and could cost us again

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:03 - Sep 14 with 3760 viewsIpswichKnight

The better teams in this league will crowd us out in midfield knowing we don't have a turn of pace for them to worry about leaving full backs high up the pitch. They will press high forcing mistakes out of back 4 or for them to panic and launch aimless hoofs.

We are a touch more creative than last year and we did look a bit better once Edwards came on, but we can't be giving the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Oxford or Posh chances like we gave in the fist 10 minutes as I don't think we have the ability to score 2 or more goals coming from behind.
My main issues with a PRP team on 10:10 - Sep 14 with 3744 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Your continued drive just to write negative anti Lambert stuff is ridiculous and childish blubbers. I won't down this because some of the points aren't ridiculous. I think Lankaster would be more dynamic in some senses to Sears/Judge for example however both Sears and Judge are playing well.

Drinnan played the role you are asking for much better than Norwood who is not fit yet after 8 months out.

Lankaster hasn't played for 2 years so right now there is no way he would be more effective then Judge or Sears. It's funny because a lot of Judge's woes were that he came in totally undercooked and struggled to get it going yet you expect Lankaster will. Judge is playing well, don't understand why he's still getting pelters from some and others just want him out the squad.

I'd love Dobra and El Miz in our team but not just in there because we like the idea that they are our future. they obviously haven't bee ln standing out in training and in the game time they got pre-season. El Miz scored a cracking goal but hasn't played better than others. Edwards was another people have moaned about yet he was excellent yesterday. If that was Dobra coming on yesterday and playing like that we would be purring.

People need to drop the baggage and use their eyes and see that players are suiting this system better and individual performances are improving. They'll only continue to get better hopefully with more time working this system and continuity in selection (though I'd like the guys you mentioned to get some time Wed - rotation is fine in We'd scenario by the way).

Overall we've started well. Cut the baggage and negativity you are carrying over. Try to enjoy it and give the team a chance (even if you can't Lambert). Maybe just cool it a short while....see what happens.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:18 - Sep 14 with 3712 viewsBluefish

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:10 - Sep 14 by Terry_Nutkins

Your continued drive just to write negative anti Lambert stuff is ridiculous and childish blubbers. I won't down this because some of the points aren't ridiculous. I think Lankaster would be more dynamic in some senses to Sears/Judge for example however both Sears and Judge are playing well.

Drinnan played the role you are asking for much better than Norwood who is not fit yet after 8 months out.

Lankaster hasn't played for 2 years so right now there is no way he would be more effective then Judge or Sears. It's funny because a lot of Judge's woes were that he came in totally undercooked and struggled to get it going yet you expect Lankaster will. Judge is playing well, don't understand why he's still getting pelters from some and others just want him out the squad.

I'd love Dobra and El Miz in our team but not just in there because we like the idea that they are our future. they obviously haven't bee ln standing out in training and in the game time they got pre-season. El Miz scored a cracking goal but hasn't played better than others. Edwards was another people have moaned about yet he was excellent yesterday. If that was Dobra coming on yesterday and playing like that we would be purring.

People need to drop the baggage and use their eyes and see that players are suiting this system better and individual performances are improving. They'll only continue to get better hopefully with more time working this system and continuity in selection (though I'd like the guys you mentioned to get some time Wed - rotation is fine in We'd scenario by the way).

Overall we've started well. Cut the baggage and negativity you are carrying over. Try to enjoy it and give the team a chance (even if you can't Lambert). Maybe just cool it a short while....see what happens.

Don't worry i got similar replies throughout last season as well. I was definitely wrong because the league table said so.....but the league table ended up saying I was completely right. A new season but the same issues are still present, not quite as severe because we have Bishop but remove him from that side and we will be severely lacking in cohesiveness across the lines.

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:20 - Sep 14 with 3695 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Drinan/Judge/Sears have all been good, performing well, contributing well, why would you change anything?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:26 - Sep 14 with 3665 viewsBluefish

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:20 - Sep 14 by TheTrueBlue1878

Drinan/Judge/Sears have all been good, performing well, contributing well, why would you change anything?

For the same reason I wanted to see changes last season when we were top. Doing OK is OK for mid table, we should be imposing ourselves more, there is no hiding from the fact we were playing a makeshift opponent yesterday.

I am also not asking for Drinan to go i am asking for my forward to play more centrally. The forward should not be leaving the width of the penalty box and ideally even tighter than that.

Judge or Sears is ok but not judge and sears. They both slow the play too much when transitioning from midfield to attack

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:26 - Sep 14 with 3663 viewsSomethingBlue

Maybe but, for one thing, Lankester is probably way off starting regularly at the moment.

For me there are concerns — voiced in my post yesterday — but there's a difference between that and straining to find fault. It's been an OK start; now we need players back and to do even better.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:29 - Sep 14 with 3646 viewsBluefish

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:26 - Sep 14 by SomethingBlue

Maybe but, for one thing, Lankester is probably way off starting regularly at the moment.

For me there are concerns — voiced in my post yesterday — but there's a difference between that and straining to find fault. It's been an OK start; now we need players back and to do even better.

Very true about JL but I do worry that the kids are being pushed further away for a safer more pragmatic approach. I do however accept that my approach is riskier

I will look up your post 👍

Login to get fewer ads

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:29 - Sep 14 with 3645 viewsTerry_Nutkins

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:26 - Sep 14 by SomethingBlue

Exactly this.

My main issues with a PRP team on 12:02 - Sep 14 with 3538 viewshadleighboyblue

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:03 - Sep 14 by IpswichKnight

The better teams in this league will crowd us out in midfield knowing we don't have a turn of pace for them to worry about leaving full backs high up the pitch. They will press high forcing mistakes out of back 4 or for them to panic and launch aimless hoofs.

We are a touch more creative than last year and we did look a bit better once Edwards came on, but we can't be giving the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Oxford or Posh chances like we gave in the fist 10 minutes as I don't think we have the ability to score 2 or more goals coming from behind.

Edwards certainly impressed when he came on - just shows how we really need wingers that take on defenders , still don't think Sears does enough out wide .

Pluses for me yesterday were Ward and Dozzell , Ward looks like a great addition and if only Dozzell can perform regularly and for more than 45 minutes , he has the passing ability to get us on the attack
My main issues with a PRP team on 12:10 - Sep 14 with 3508 viewsgordon

My main issues with a PRP team on 10:10 - Sep 14 by Terry_Nutkins

Genuinely don't understand this attitude - why are you on a football forum if you don't want to read opinions about the team's tactics? The OP is a reasonable-ish summary of what we've been like under Lambert.

And fair enough you might disagree (I disagree with this assessment of Sears btw, he's plenty dynamic enough for League One), but all you make clear from a response like that is that you are the one bringing baggage to the discussion.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 12:12]
My main issues with a PRP team on 12:53 - Sep 14 with 3442 viewsBrixtonBlue

My main issues with a PRP team on 12:10 - Sep 14 by gordon

Genuinely don't understand this attitude - why are you on a football forum if you don't want to read opinions about the team's tactics? The OP is a reasonable-ish summary of what we've been like under Lambert.

And fair enough you might disagree (I disagree with this assessment of Sears btw, he's plenty dynamic enough for League One), but all you make clear from a response like that is that you are the one bringing baggage to the discussion.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 12:12]

Incredible irony here. You're happy for Blubbers to have his opinion, but not Terry. If you put an opinion out there you must accept some people will question it, and the motives for it. That's also part of a football forum.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:01 - Sep 14 with 3431 viewsBluefish

My main issues with a PRP team on 12:53 - Sep 14 by BrixtonBlue

Incredible irony here. You're happy for Blubbers to have his opinion, but not Terry. If you put an opinion out there you must accept some people will question it, and the motives for it. That's also part of a football forum.

Blimey

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:06 - Sep 14 with 3410 viewsLankHenners

My main issues with a PRP team on 12:53 - Sep 14 by BrixtonBlue

I mean...

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:09 - Sep 14 with 3394 viewstextbackup

Norwoods touch really is poor, and that isn’t down to not playing for a while.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Hawkins given a go at leading the line.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:17 - Sep 14 with 3362 viewsSomethingBlue

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:09 - Sep 14 by textbackup

Norwoods touch really is poor, and that isn’t down to not playing for a while.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Hawkins given a go at leading the line.

It did stick out like a sore thumb at times, didn't it. I'm actually a bit worried about our striking options in a 4-3-3. Yes we have a few but I'm not sure any of them (a) fit the system/approach perfectly or (b) will score enough.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:23 - Sep 14 with 3340 viewsHerbivore

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:17 - Sep 14 by SomethingBlue

It did stick out like a sore thumb at times, didn't it. I'm actually a bit worried about our striking options in a 4-3-3. Yes we have a few but I'm not sure any of them (a) fit the system/approach perfectly or (b) will score enough.

Based solely on yesterday Drinan looked far more suited to the role, but we're talking about a kid who has only just made his debut for us and who looked to be on his way out for most of the last year or so. He hasn't scored a senior goal for us yet. It's asking a lot for him to play that role. Hawkins may be suited to it but he doesn't offer much goal threat. Norwood can score goals but I don't know that he's good enough technically or has the positional discipline to play the role. It's definitely a concern.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 13:26]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:25 - Sep 14 with 3335 viewsnodge_blue

You make a number of good points and I totally agree that you can't see a team able (Yet) to play fluently through the thirds.

I think Drinan can make it stick but its whether he can bully defenders, win the headers, run in behind and score goals. Its a lot to ask as a new first team player - playing on his own.

I don't think Sears really is a wide player. Think Edwards would be better suited there.

However, Surely Lambert is getting the team into a more settled style of play. I imagine he is quite capable of seeing where its not working right. I don't see the point of lambert out campaigns right now. It could come good.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:27 - Sep 14 with 3323 viewsHerbivore

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:25 - Sep 14 by nodge_blue

You make a number of good points and I totally agree that you can't see a team able (Yet) to play fluently through the thirds.

I think Drinan can make it stick but its whether he can bully defenders, win the headers, run in behind and score goals. Its a lot to ask as a new first team player - playing on his own.

I don't think Sears really is a wide player. Think Edwards would be better suited there.

However, Surely Lambert is getting the team into a more settled style of play. I imagine he is quite capable of seeing where its not working right. I don't see the point of lambert out campaigns right now. It could come good.

Based on his two years here, what makes you confident that Lambert can see where it's not working right?

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:31 - Sep 14 with 3303 viewsnodge_blue

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:27 - Sep 14 by Herbivore

Based on his two years here, what makes you confident that Lambert can see where it's not working right?

I didn't say I was confident that he can make it work. I said it look like he has settled on a style of play and I am confident he can see where problems are with it.

TBF he would want KVY, Woolfenden, Downes and Lankaster to be fully fit. All four for me are quality players who would enhance that team alot more and enable that style of passing football more.

So all Im saying is lets see how we go over the next 2 or 3 months.

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:35 - Sep 14 with 3293 viewsTerry_Nutkins

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:25 - Sep 14 by nodge_blue

I agree and the good points he made were exactly why it didn't get treated with the normal 'Lambert out' nonsense.

I think the players arguably suited to the roles either side of the striker that we have are either very inexperienced and lightweight or short of match fitness (Edward aside). Edward hasnt been consistent enough but I think if he was fit start of season he would have started and been given the time. Judge has taken his chance to a degree and done well in what is not his best position. Fingers crossed for Lankaster to get going but he might take several months before he can start.

Sears is actually good in that position but I agree with bluefish on his limitations but then he has strengths others don't have doing that role. I think he will be a main starter there this season with changes more off the bench. Judge I think may get surpassed over the next few months. He will be a great option off the bench in behind strikers chasing a goal.

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:36 - Sep 14 with 3291 viewsTerry_Nutkins

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:31 - Sep 14 by nodge_blue

I didn't say I was confident that he can make it work. I said it look like he has settled on a style of play and I am confident he can see where problems are with it.

TBF he would want KVY, Woolfenden, Downes and Lankaster to be fully fit. All four for me are quality players who would enhance that team alot more and enable that style of passing football more.

Bang on.

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:37 - Sep 14 with 3286 viewsHerbivore

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:31 - Sep 14 by nodge_blue

I have less faith in him than you I think. Lots of us fans - who don't know much really - could see where our problems were last season and yet it wasn't until the summer that Lambert seemed to realise where things went wrong. That's a bit of a worry in terms of him both seeing and addressing issues this time around. Let's hope he's managed to get a lot better at his job over the last 6 months, time will tell on that one.

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:45 - Sep 14 with 3269 viewsnodge_blue

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:37 - Sep 14 by Herbivore

I have less faith in him than you I think. Lots of us fans - who don't know much really - could see where our problems were last season and yet it wasn't until the summer that Lambert seemed to realise where things went wrong. That's a bit of a worry in terms of him both seeing and addressing issues this time around. Let's hope he's managed to get a lot better at his job over the last 6 months, time will tell on that one.

I did like the fact he owned up to making mistakes last year. I respect that. And I think he should get the next few months to show we are moving forward. And he's called out a few players it seems. Which can go one of two ways. But ultimately we can't keep patting players on the back for mediocrity. Somewhere they need to take ownership.

I worry as well that we aren't good enough to pass out through our centre halves. We could create more problems than we solve. Even though its what we want to see rather than long aimless balls. I think thats why he chopped and changed cos ultimately we couldn't play the way he wanted us to. But what in playing staff has changed?

So time will tell. If we aren't top 6 come Decemberr then I think the pressure will be on for him to go.

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:59 - Sep 14 with 3239 viewsHerbivore

My main issues with a PRP team on 13:45 - Sep 14 by nodge_blue

I did like the fact he owned up to making mistakes last year. I respect that. And I think he should get the next few months to show we are moving forward. And he's called out a few players it seems. Which can go one of two ways. But ultimately we can't keep patting players on the back for mediocrity. Somewhere they need to take ownership.

I worry as well that we aren't good enough to pass out through our centre halves. We could create more problems than we solve. Even though its what we want to see rather than long aimless balls. I think thats why he chopped and changed cos ultimately we couldn't play the way he wanted us to. But what in playing staff has changed?

So time will tell. If we aren't top 6 come Decemberr then I think the pressure will be on for him to go.

I probably wouldn't give him as long as you, given that for me he's been here at least 6 months too long now (arguably more like 9 months). My worry is that it's well and good saying the right things in an interview about mistakes you've made, and Lambert has generally been good at interviews, but really a decent manager should have seen where he was going wrong at the time and addressed it then. Last season was unacceptable and it was evident where many of our problems were but the manager was unwilling or unable to change things. That concerns me. I think it takes a lot of faith to think that he'd now be able to spot problems and make changes as and when they arise based on what we've seen of him as a manager thus far. Let's hope he proves me wrong.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024