Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes 20:34 - Sep 13 with 1905 viewsSamWhiteUK

are they going to want a player that seems mentally weak right now? Could he be doing himself more harm than good?
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 20:35 - Sep 13 with 1886 viewsbournemouthblue

What makes him mentally weak?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 20:48 - Sep 13 with 1840 viewsFixed_It

No. It's all part of the process. He isn't showing weakness, he (or rather his agent) is trying to force our hand. Palace will be well aware of that. We just need to stay firm in our resolve. He has a value that they are nowhere near meeting.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 20:54 - Sep 13 with 1815 viewsSwailsey

I’m sure it isn’t intentional, but phrases like “mentally weak” are really quite damaging and not helpful. This isn’t just directed to you by the way as I’ve seen it said a few times.

He was quite open about his struggles a while ago, and if he hadn’t been, I doubt people would keep saying it.

You don’t hear that about other players who “had their head turned” or “needed some time away”, as Judge did the other year. It’s playing into the stigma unfortunately, which I’m sure is the opposite effect he was trying to get at when he was discussed it.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 20:57]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:02 - Sep 13 with 1774 viewshadleighboyblue

Calling anyone mentally weak is wrong - you have no idea of the true situation .

It's quite possible that it's Lambert's decision not to play him - if that is true , the manager is wrong .

Downes is an ITFC player and i don't think for one minute he would give anything but 100% if picked , he would have every incentive to play well if he was wanting to attract possible buyers .
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:18 - Sep 13 with 1699 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Don’t think it’s to do with mentally weak. He was given a bit of time off, came back training, maybe needs a week under his belt to get going again.

Right now he doesn’t get in to the midfield anyway, but the reality is he wants to leave, and Lambert won’t be picking players who don’t want to be here and rightly so.

Where does that leave him if Palace down come up with the money, probably the bench / stands.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:20 - Sep 13 with 1686 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

By the way, I don’t think Palace will bid again for him.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:36 - Sep 13 with 1617 viewseddiespearitt03

Lambert is quoted as saying that the lad has had some bad advice . Can you not blame a young player being excited about a move to a Premiership club ?

I think Lambert should of gave him some game time v Wigan instead of being a complete fool and punishing him. Its only human nature someone that young may have his head turned by a possible move. It is what ever young player would dream of. So there is no need for Lambert to treat him like an outcast. He is still an Ipswich player with a contract. Play him.
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:49 - Sep 13 with 1566 viewsArnieM

Suspect PalArse will come in with a one final bid just before the window closes, and hope to tempt Evans. Hopefully he’ll tell em to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine, because it’ll be well below the players true valuation

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 22:08 - Sep 13 with 1505 viewsEly_Blue

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:36 - Sep 13 by eddiespearitt03

Lambert is quoted as saying that the lad has had some bad advice . Can you not blame a young player being excited about a move to a Premiership club ?

I think Lambert should of gave him some game time v Wigan instead of being a complete fool and punishing him. Its only human nature someone that young may have his head turned by a possible move. It is what ever young player would dream of. So there is no need for Lambert to treat him like an outcast. He is still an Ipswich player with a contract. Play him.

Why should Lambert give him game time if he doesn’t think it’s for the best of ITFC and the team winning games?

What have the 3 in midfield done wrong in the Bristol Rovers and Wigan games to deserve being dropped for someone who has asked for a move away?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 12:40 - Sep 14 with 1161 viewsBlue12345

If they sell Zaha as they are looking to they may come in with a more realistic bid I think. Possibly 4-5 mil.
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 12:46 - Sep 14 with 1140 viewsStokieBlue

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 12:40 - Sep 14 by Blue12345

If they sell Zaha as they are looking to they may come in with a more realistic bid I think. Possibly 4-5 mil.

Selling Zaha has no effect whatsoever on how much they can afford to bid for Downes. They have plenty of premier league riches they could use if they were serious.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 19:34 - Sep 14 with 971 viewsBlue12345

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 12:46 - Sep 14 by StokieBlue

Selling Zaha has no effect whatsoever on how much they can afford to bid for Downes. They have plenty of premier league riches they could use if they were serious.

SB

Perhaps with Downes being “ one for the future “ and a gamble they are at present reluctant to spend near the 5 million pound mark on him. I’m sure they would be more encouraged to take a gamble were they to receive the apparent 50 mil for Zaha.
If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 19:39 - Sep 14 with 957 viewsTerry_Nutkins

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 20:54 - Sep 13 by Swailsey

I’m sure it isn’t intentional, but phrases like “mentally weak” are really quite damaging and not helpful. This isn’t just directed to you by the way as I’ve seen it said a few times.

He was quite open about his struggles a while ago, and if he hadn’t been, I doubt people would keep saying it.

You don’t hear that about other players who “had their head turned” or “needed some time away”, as Judge did the other year. It’s playing into the stigma unfortunately, which I’m sure is the opposite effect he was trying to get at when he was discussed it.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 20:57]

Agree and well put.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 19:42 - Sep 14 with 946 viewsTerry_Nutkins

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:36 - Sep 13 by eddiespearitt03

Wow..Lambert does the right thing by the player taking him.out..The replacements do well and the main replacement keeps his place and does great and is man of the match Vs Wigan and Lambert is painted the villain. Incredible take.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 21:09 - Sep 14 with 867 viewsTieDyedIn95

If Palace haven't bid again for Downes on 20:48 - Sep 13 by Fixed_It

No. It's all part of the process. He isn't showing weakness, he (or rather his agent) is trying to force our hand. Palace will be well aware of that. We just need to stay firm in our resolve. He has a value that they are nowhere near meeting.

I think we may be waiting a while. Downes to us is an essential player, to a Premier League club he's a youngster who's a prospect but won't be anywhere near the first team. They are hardly going to shell out mega-money for him, it's not like he's playing in the Championship right now, which is the reason Evans was able to get reasonable money for Wickham, Cresswell, Mings, Murphy, Webster and Waghorn. There's an absolute gulf in quality between that league and ours, Palace know it but I don't think Evans has caught up yet though.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024