Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zonal Marking 21:58 - Sep 14 with 1867 viewsBlue12345

Just watching the highlights and the first free header from the corner it looks like we were zonal marking. I’ve watched it back a few times and paused it.
6 Ipswich players in a line on the 6 yard box, with only 3 Wigan players in the 6 yard box. And only 1 of those 3 Wigan players was being marked to a man.

Also there are 3 Wigan players stood on the penalty spot with then only 2 town players stood on the penalty spot. It is one of these that gets the free header. Further to this there is a free Wigan man stood on the edge of the 18 yard box, again completely on his own.

Zonal Marking on 22:04 - Sep 14 with 1838 viewsChrisd

Zonal marking is utter rubbish, why teams persist with it for set pieces I find totally baffling? It causes more confusion than anything. It appears easier for the attacking side to lose their markers by making simple runs.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 22:07]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Zonal Marking on 22:27 - Sep 14 with 1764 viewsBluefish

Zonal Marking on 22:04 - Sep 14 by Chrisd

Zonal marking is utter rubbish, why teams persist with it for set pieces I find totally baffling? It causes more confusion than anything. It appears easier for the attacking side to lose their markers by making simple runs.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 22:07]

I played zonal marking for years we had 3 key players that we knew would win the header so 3 positions front middle and back. The other players then mark where needed. You need the right players and the right training and it is better

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Zonal Marking on 22:35 - Sep 14 with 1739 viewsPlums

Zonal Marking on 22:27 - Sep 14 by Bluefish

I played zonal marking for years we had 3 key players that we knew would win the header so 3 positions front middle and back. The other players then mark where needed. You need the right players and the right training and it is better

I agree. A defender moving away from goal is always going to have a better chance of getting a good head on a ball than one following an attacker who’s moving towards the goal. It’s the implementation of it that’s the problem.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Zonal Marking on 22:37 - Sep 14 with 1732 viewsChrisd

Personal preference I suppose, but I much prefer the traditional approach much less confusion.

Zonal Marking on 08:58 - Sep 15 with 1476 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Not sure that it was zonal marking at all, rather rank poor defensive man marking and poor organisation generally. Not just at the corner, but for the second Obi header, we get drawn towards the ball without looking for the opponents behind us. It is down to the individuals to mark opponents, as would have been agreed before the game (hopefully), and if that doesn't happen for players to shout at each other to do their agreed jobs.

It was criminal at that corner. Holy was left with an unmarked man in front of him. A 2 defenders v 3 attackers situation (as the OP stated) in the middle of our box, hence Obi having a completely free header, Sears sauntering out of the box, leaving Chambers to take his man, marking nobody as the ball comes in, but he doesn't even go to mark the Wigan player free on the egde of the box.

If it was an attempt at zonal marking, they need to realise that the central zone is more important than the beyond the near post. Leave Ward to do the near post and bring Wilson back more centrally.

Also, as an aside. Do they have a coach/anyone analysing these incidents during the game on a screen and feeding back suggested improvements to the pitch-side staff?
Zonal Marking on 09:19 - Sep 15 with 1454 viewsBlue12345

Zonal Marking on 08:58 - Sep 15 by FrankfurtBlue

Not sure that it was zonal marking at all, rather rank poor defensive man marking and poor organisation generally. Not just at the corner, but for the second Obi header, we get drawn towards the ball without looking for the opponents behind us. It is down to the individuals to mark opponents, as would have been agreed before the game (hopefully), and if that doesn't happen for players to shout at each other to do their agreed jobs.

It was criminal at that corner. Holy was left with an unmarked man in front of him. A 2 defenders v 3 attackers situation (as the OP stated) in the middle of our box, hence Obi having a completely free header, Sears sauntering out of the box, leaving Chambers to take his man, marking nobody as the ball comes in, but he doesn't even go to mark the Wigan player free on the egde of the box.

If it was an attempt at zonal marking, they need to realise that the central zone is more important than the beyond the near post. Leave Ward to do the near post and bring Wilson back more centrally.

Also, as an aside. Do they have a coach/anyone analysing these incidents during the game on a screen and feeding back suggested improvements to the pitch-side staff?

Agreed that whether it was or wasn’t zonal, the marking was awful for a professional football team. At any level even you would be disappointed with that. My suggestion that it was an attempt at zonal is due to the fact how many Ipswich players were seemingly marking space not players.

Interesting point your raised about does anyone any any analysing these parts of the game. You’d hope so.
Zonal Marking on 09:56 - Sep 15 with 1413 viewstextbackup

however we have toto and Wilson in there......

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Zonal Marking on 10:00 - Sep 15 with 1407 viewsBluefish

Zonal Marking on 09:56 - Sep 15 by textbackup

however we have toto and Wilson in there......

Completely agree, neither of them can marshall the defence well enough. We can however stick chambers and ward as 2 and one of those 2 do as they are told. We lack height and strength elsewhere though.

I can't see Wilson and toto being the heart of our defence for long but they won't be as bad with capable people around 1 of them. Both are poor in the air

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Zonal Marking on 10:45 - Sep 15 with 1352 viewsWickets

Zonal Marking on 10:00 - Sep 15 by Bluefish

Completely agree, neither of them can marshall the defence well enough. We can however stick chambers and ward as 2 and one of those 2 do as they are told. We lack height and strength elsewhere though.

I can't see Wilson and toto being the heart of our defence for long but they won't be as bad with capable people around 1 of them. Both are poor in the air

TBH I have sleepless nights over these two . Just a pity we can't move them on as their is no chance of signing another CB while we still have them .
Zonal Marking on 10:51 - Sep 15 with 1345 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

We’ve been defending corners using mixed zonal for ages. Whilst we got away with it on Sunday we have generally conceded few from corners.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Zonal Marking on 11:10 - Sep 15 with 1318 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing that good old Christian knows better than pretty much every professional side in the world isn’t it?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Zonal Marking on 11:16 - Sep 15 with 1315 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Zonal marking is better and that's why most teams play it - but when it goes wrong it is so obvious and looks a mistake. Same with playing out from the back - when you get it wrong, you give away a goal like Brighton last night, but you don't notice the benefits always(see the third arsenal goal)

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Zonal Marking on 11:20 - Sep 15 with 1292 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Zonal Marking on 11:16 - Sep 15 by JammyDodgerrr

Zonal marking is better and that's why most teams play it - but when it goes wrong it is so obvious and looks a mistake. Same with playing out from the back - when you get it wrong, you give away a goal like Brighton last night, but you don't notice the benefits always(see the third arsenal goal)

It’s basically that any goal conceded from a corner with man marking sees the player blamed, whereas with zonal the system gets blamed. So people are always saying zonal marking is rubbish but never man marking as they focus on individuals with the latter

The fact that pretty much every side at any decent levels uses some form of zonal marking shows the stupidity of anyone that thinks it’s rubbish, quite frankly

Zonal Marking on 11:33 - Sep 15 with 1273 viewsbournemouthblue

Zonal Marking on 10:00 - Sep 15 by Bluefish

It's certainly a pretty small side, I felt we lost the early exchanges across the pitch, simply because Wigan were physically quite a bit bigger than us and they didn't give us a lot of space

Gradually as we got into the game, we dealt with them better and started to get our game going. There were glimpses of quality when we were allowed space but I worry a little for us when dealing with the more organised physical sides at this level.

Wigan clearly have some talented individuals left over from the Championship who will cause issues for sides without playing particularly well so they're definitely a bit of a banana skin at the moment.

I can't see Otobor remaining after his contract ends, he looked a handful. Garner may well move on as well, he's certainly a tricky customer when given half a yard in the box. Obi looks like he has great potential and looks a serious asset from set pieces.

It's hard to make too many judgements

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Zonal Marking on 12:55 - Sep 15 with 1232 viewsChrisd

Zonal Marking on 11:10 - Sep 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing that good old Christian knows better than pretty much every professional side in the world isn’t it?

Funny that, I thought this was a forum and you give your opinion? If you don't like my view, which appears evident in most cases as you can't help yourself having a little dig, then do us both a favour and press ignore, there's a good lad.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 12:59]

Zonal Marking on 13:14 - Sep 15 with 1189 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Zonal Marking on 12:55 - Sep 15 by Chrisd

Funny that, I thought this was a forum and you give your opinion? If you don't like my view, which appears evident in most cases as you can't help yourself having a little dig, then do us both a favour and press ignore, there's a good lad.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 12:59]

My opinion was that your opinion was stupid - if you don’t like people pointing out that your opinion is stupid then it’s probably best not to repeatedly post stupid opinions...

Zonal Marking on 13:22 - Sep 15 with 1180 viewsChrisd

Zonal Marking on 13:14 - Sep 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

My opinion was that your opinion was stupid - if you don’t like people pointing out that your opinion is stupid then it’s probably best not to repeatedly post stupid opinions...

Once again, such an insightful response and yet another prime example why so many get frustrated with ridiculous and embarrassing replies like this one and threads become ruined.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 13:27]

Zonal Marking on 13:27 - Sep 15 with 1152 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Zonal Marking on 13:22 - Sep 15 by Chrisd

Once again, such an insightful response and yet another prime example why so many get frustrated with ridiculous and embarrassing replies like this one and threads become ruined.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 13:27]

Actually my insight was that pretty much every professional team in world using zonal marking rather suggests your view is incorrect

Unless you want to provide some insight as to why you know better I would suggest that it is you that is derailing the thread seeing as your last 2 posts haven’t actually addressed the subject matter at all

Zonal Marking on 13:49 - Sep 15 with 1141 viewsChrisd

Zonal Marking on 13:27 - Sep 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Actually my insight was that pretty much every professional team in world using zonal marking rather suggests your view is incorrect

Unless you want to provide some insight as to why you know better I would suggest that it is you that is derailing the thread seeing as your last 2 posts haven’t actually addressed the subject matter at all

Yes, I'm the one derailing the thread...... . If you want, PM me and we can discuss the matter as I'd be interested in your views and I can explain mine, but I'm not going to engage in a discussion of personal insults with endless postings that bores everyone else senseless and ultimately makes a decent thread nonsensical.

Zonal Marking on 14:10 - Sep 15 with 1109 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Zonal Marking on 13:49 - Sep 15 by Chrisd

Yes, I'm the one derailing the thread...... . If you want, PM me and we can discuss the matter as I'd be interested in your views and I can explain mine, but I'm not going to engage in a discussion of personal insults with endless postings that bores everyone else senseless and ultimately makes a decent thread nonsensical.

A PM isn’t going to add anything that isn’t already in this thread and I’m more than happy to have my posts on the forum for all to read - if people don’t want to that’s their prerogative

I’ve posted twice to you now my general view that every professional side using zonal marking implies it is the most effective of defending corners and in a separate post that it gets an undue amount of stick given any goals conceded get attributed to the system (whereas man marking the player is blamed)

If you’re interested in those views and want to discuss them then do so. Alternatively keep complaining about personal insults (which didn’t exist) and the thread being derailed whilst not adding anything of substance yourself
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 14:11]

Zonal Marking on 15:32 - Sep 15 with 1078 viewsBlue12345

Zonal Marking on 14:10 - Sep 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A PM isn’t going to add anything that isn’t already in this thread and I’m more than happy to have my posts on the forum for all to read - if people don’t want to that’s their prerogative

I’ve posted twice to you now my general view that every professional side using zonal marking implies it is the most effective of defending corners and in a separate post that it gets an undue amount of stick given any goals conceded get attributed to the system (whereas man marking the player is blamed)

If you’re interested in those views and want to discuss them then do so. Alternatively keep complaining about personal insults (which didn’t exist) and the thread being derailed whilst not adding anything of substance yourself
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 14:11]

A lot of top level professional sides mark man to man with set players / spare players marking zonal. So it’s actually a combination of both. Yes majority of teams incorporate some form of zonal you are correct but this is combined with man to man.
A team that done this really well last season was Liverpool. Hopefully we get it right, as whatever way Ipswich go regarding marking I think we can all agree we need to learn a couple of defensive lessons from the Wigan game.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 15:34]
Zonal Marking on 15:41 - Sep 15 with 1062 viewsChrisd

Zonal Marking on 15:32 - Sep 15 by Blue12345

A lot of top level professional sides mark man to man with set players / spare players marking zonal. So it’s actually a combination of both. Yes majority of teams incorporate some form of zonal you are correct but this is combined with man to man.
A team that done this really well last season was Liverpool. Hopefully we get it right, as whatever way Ipswich go regarding marking I think we can all agree we need to learn a couple of defensive lessons from the Wigan game.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1360111-man-ma

I found this an interesting read, might be a little dated but the principles haven’t really changed.

Zonal Marking on 15:51 - Sep 15 with 1038 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Zonal Marking on 15:32 - Sep 15 by Blue12345

This is a fair point and I should have added that in reality most teams apply a hybrid. However even where having man markers in most cases zonal is very much the basis and those man markers are there primarily to block and disrupt runs rather than the traditional idea. Plus I think most people that moan about zonal marking would see teams like Liverpool with a line of defenders across the 6 yard box as employing those tactics that they think are rubbish

Agree fully with the last paragraph but would suggest it’s the players and execution that are the problem rather than ‘Zonal Marking LOL’

Zonal Marking on 15:53 - Sep 15 with 1040 viewsitfcjoe

Zonal Marking on 11:20 - Sep 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s basically that any goal conceded from a corner with man marking sees the player blamed, whereas with zonal the system gets blamed. So people are always saying zonal marking is rubbish but never man marking as they focus on individuals with the latter

The fact that pretty much every side at any decent levels uses some form of zonal marking shows the stupidity of anyone that thinks it’s rubbish, quite frankly

I've never seen a Zone score a goal.....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024