Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irony through Irish eyes 10:03 - Sep 15 with 1044 viewsMoriarty

BJ/DC saying breaking international law is necessary to stop a foreign power from splitting the U.K.

Boris and Dominic, you witless poltroons, Ireland understands only too well the effects of a foreign power splitting the country.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 12:05]

fka omuircheartaigh

Irony through Irish eyes on 10:12 - Sep 15 with 1005 viewsGuthrum

The problems you get with politicians who don't study history - properly and in depth.

Ironically, Johnson's gret hero (whom he so often fails to emulate on more than the most superficial level) was also a successful historical writer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Irony through Irish eyes on 10:46 - Sep 15 with 945 viewsgiant_stow

The bit I don't understand about all this is why Boris acted now?

If they're right and the EU were holding the effective cutting of food supplies to NI from the UK, why not call their bluff and if they really did that, act then? No one would have batted an eye about breaking a law being applied in such a userous unfair way then, surely? The EU would have been the bad guys with Boris riding the NI's rescue.

I must be missing something important.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 10:47]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:01 - Sep 15 with 919 viewsPinewoodblue

Irony through Irish eyes on 10:46 - Sep 15 by giant_stow

If they're right and the EU were holding the effective cutting of food supplies to NI from the UK, why not call their bluff and if they really did that, act then? No one would have batted an eye about breaking a law being applied in such a userous unfair way then, surely? The EU would have been the bad guys with Boris riding the NI's rescue.

Could it be that all they are doing is put the required mechanism in place.

It is probably the only pressure they can put on the EU to let us use their oven for our oven ready bird.

If we reach a trade deal, which seems unlikely, will they rescind the bill, or are there other more sinister things they are considering, such as pulling back on devolution.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:03 - Sep 15 with 914 viewsKeno

come on the British dont want anyone else starving the Irish, historically they have been more than capable of doing that themselves

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:06 - Sep 15 with 907 viewsMoriarty

Basically the Irish negotiators were superior to their British counterparts.

BJ and DC are risking a no deal Brexit but it is essential for them that the EU is seen (in the U.K.) as the bad guy. The perception outside the UK is of no concern to them.

It is profoundly misconceived and wholly without merit for BJ and DC to suggest the EU would think about cutting food supplies but that’s an easy sell to red tops and their readers.

The reality of NI is that it’s time within the UK is coming to an end provided the GFA stays. The Unionists can’t handle that. So they want that agreement scrapped. The backstop protects the GFA.

fka omuircheartaigh

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:18 - Sep 15 with 871 viewsgiant_stow

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:01 - Sep 15 by Pinewoodblue

Could it be that all they are doing is put the required mechanism in place.

It is probably the only pressure they can put on the EU to let us use their oven for our oven ready bird.

If we reach a trade deal, which seems unlikely, will they rescind the bill, or are there other more sinister things they are considering, such as pulling back on devolution.

lummy!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:20 - Sep 15 with 867 viewsgiant_stow

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:06 - Sep 15 by Moriarty

Basically the Irish negotiators were superior to their British counterparts.

BJ and DC are risking a no deal Brexit but it is essential for them that the EU is seen (in the U.K.) as the bad guy. The perception outside the UK is of no concern to them.

It is profoundly misconceived and wholly without merit for BJ and DC to suggest the EU would think about cutting food supplies but that’s an easy sell to red tops and their readers.

The reality of NI is that it’s time within the UK is coming to an end provided the GFA stays. The Unionists can’t handle that. So they want that agreement scrapped. The backstop protects the GFA.

Interesting stuff and yes it does appear the UK negotiators were out-manoeuvred or perhaps just trying to get the impossible.

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:05 - Sep 15 with 832 viewsMoriarty

Irony through Irish eyes on 11:20 - Sep 15 by giant_stow

Interesting stuff and yes it does appear the UK negotiators were out-manoeuvred or perhaps just trying to get the impossible.

I think the Irish negotiators had a better grip on and understanding of their brief. But even at that, the backstop’s aim is not to seek a tactical advantage, it’s there to protect the GFA. The GFA is now a thorn to the Unionists as the balance moves in favour of Nationalists. Majority rule was fine for the Unionists whilst they were in the majority.

BJ and DC’s vanity and stupidity is leading them to underestimate the backing Ireland has in the EU. Did you know that Ireland backed and politically helped Germany when they looked to unify West and East into the EU? They did so in a time of some scepticism from other EU nations. The Irish helping the Germans on that issue isn’t forgotten in Berlin. Also, the Irish Americans have some sway. BJ and DC don’t quite seem to get that.

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:21 - Sep 15 with 807 viewsgiant_stow

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:05 - Sep 15 by Moriarty

I think the Irish negotiators had a better grip on and understanding of their brief. But even at that, the backstop’s aim is not to seek a tactical advantage, it’s there to protect the GFA. The GFA is now a thorn to the Unionists as the balance moves in favour of Nationalists. Majority rule was fine for the Unionists whilst they were in the majority.

BJ and DC’s vanity and stupidity is leading them to underestimate the backing Ireland has in the EU. Did you know that Ireland backed and politically helped Germany when they looked to unify West and East into the EU? They did so in a time of some scepticism from other EU nations. The Irish helping the Germans on that issue isn’t forgotten in Berlin. Also, the Irish Americans have some sway. BJ and DC don’t quite seem to get that.

I had no idea about how the Irish helped the Germans back then. On a very basic simple-simon level, two mates doing each other an important favour sits well with me.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 12:21]

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:53 - Sep 15 with 775 viewsMoriarty

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:21 - Sep 15 by giant_stow

I had no idea about how the Irish helped the Germans back then. On a very basic simple-simon level, two mates doing each other an important favour sits well with me.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 12:21]

Which is why this thing is so bizarre as Ireland and the U.K. should (despite some troubled history) always back each other as friends and neighbours. The visits of the Queen and more recently William and Kate generated a lot of goodwill. BJ and DC however are acting like neighbours from hell.

Perfidious Albion Innit.

fka omuircheartaigh

Irony through Irish eyes on 13:49 - Sep 15 with 726 viewsDarth_Koont

Irony through Irish eyes on 12:53 - Sep 15 by Moriarty

Which is why this thing is so bizarre as Ireland and the U.K. should (despite some troubled history) always back each other as friends and neighbours. The visits of the Queen and more recently William and Kate generated a lot of goodwill. BJ and DC however are acting like neighbours from hell.

Perfidious Albion Innit.

Ireland and the EU were always going to be treated as enemies or at least inconveniences rather than partners. After all, there’s little to no backing for others even within the UK, either for the home nations or the regions.

And that’s systemic. BJ and his gang are just that bit more self-interested and negligent of their wider responsibility.

Pronouns: He/Him

Irony through Irish eyes on 13:55 - Sep 15 with 716 viewsJ2BLUE

What happens next time China, Russia, Iran or North Korea break international law?

I assume we'll be condemning them and there'll be a lot of bluster about how it's completely different.

There really should be some sort of mechanism to peacefully remove a government from power. Some sort of 75% no confidence vote. I know it wouldn't pass but it would be a nice message to the international community that we're being held captive by a band of absolute idiots. I think I finally fully appreciate how decent Americans feel having Trump as their leader.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Irony through Irish eyes on 14:06 - Sep 15 with 708 viewsgordon

It's nothing to do with the supposed blockade of food resources, or even to do with the EU, really. That's all a red herring. The Withdrawal Agreement already gives the UK the option to unilaterally withdraw under a situation like that.

The bill gives the government the power to override any domestic or international law it chooses, and takes lots of power back from the devolved administrations. It's a massive power grab by central government, very similar to how Orban used the legislature to shift Hungary towards authoritarianism. The only way to get a piece of legislation like that through the commons is with the nationalism scaremongering about the EU, then hitch the bill to anti-European sentiment to get it through parliament.
Irony through Irish eyes on 14:35 - Sep 15 with 675 viewsPinewoodblue

Irony through Irish eyes on 13:55 - Sep 15 by J2BLUE

What happens next time China, Russia, Iran or North Korea break international law?

I assume we'll be condemning them and there'll be a lot of bluster about how it's completely different.

There really should be some sort of mechanism to peacefully remove a government from power. Some sort of 75% no confidence vote. I know it wouldn't pass but it would be a nice message to the international community that we're being held captive by a band of absolute idiots. I think I finally fully appreciate how decent Americans feel having Trump as their leader.

You mean something like Russia invading part of Ukraine, Spain getting awkward over Gibraltar or French authorities standing aside and allowing French Farmers, or fishermen block channel ports.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024