Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? 07:42 - Sep 17 with 3828 viewsBluefish

Bolton
Bury
Wigan
Macclesfield

Not enough to go round with United, City, Liverpool, Rugby etc?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 07:44 - Sep 17 with 3814 viewshomer_123

To be fair. If Evans didn't put £6m or £7m in a year, we'd be the same.

As would many, many other Clubs.

The fact that football clubs - with all the money and income the game generates - generally run at a loss tells you all you need to know.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 07:46 - Sep 17 with 3803 viewsBlueRaider

I think you're right, there are so many clubs in that area, including newer ones like Fleetwood and Salford, and other ones who have regenerated like Accrington, Morecambe and Barrow. Wigan were a bit of an artificial club for me due to Whelan pumping in the money, they just haven't got the fan base to sustain top two division football

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 08:02 - Sep 17 with 3739 viewsitfcjoe

Plus Blackpool, Oldham, Stockport......

From the outside looking in, the big teams just sprawl further out into their suburbs and then take over and dig into their fanbases.

I'm sure a lot of them relied upon being big team fans 2nd teams, but now with football so encompassing, and streams to every game available no real opportunity to go and watch your lower league team whilst keeping up with main one. Not like Friday night football at Layer Road, or Prenton Park.

There are just too many clubs so close to each other up there, not big enough and unique enough towns to support them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 08:12 - Sep 17 with 3715 viewsMetal_Hacker

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 08:02 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

From the outside looking in, the big teams just sprawl further out into their suburbs and then take over and dig into their fanbases.

I'm sure a lot of them relied upon being big team fans 2nd teams, but now with football so encompassing, and streams to every game available no real opportunity to go and watch your lower league team whilst keeping up with main one. Not like Friday night football at Layer Road, or Prenton Park.

There are just too many clubs so close to each other up there, not big enough and unique enough towns to support them

Quite ironic that the Manchester / Greater Manchester teams also have a massive divide in size and League they compete

Seems it's all or nothing

City and United in the Prem thereafter the "others" are either League 1 or 2 with nothing in the Championship

Sad situation really and one of the main reasons I despise the Prem

Poll: If it were one or the other

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 08:17 - Sep 17 with 3700 viewsWeWereZombies

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 07:44 - Sep 17 by homer_123

The fact that football clubs - with all the money and income the game generates - generally run at a loss tells you all you need to know.

Evans put six or seven million into many. many other clubs!!

That explains a few things...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:05 - Sep 17 with 3495 viewsElephantintheRoom

Is it because there are a lot of them perchance in the lower divisions?

Suffolk only has one league club - currently £100 million in debt and subject to two recent winding up orders

Its not that different, other then the dodgy chancer running Town has (for now, maybe, perhaps) deeper pockets - even the body issuing the winding up order is the same that struggled to get the money owed to it out of Town.

Covid hysteria will no doubt send many more clubs to the wall if this season unravels,, which at the moment appears almost certain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:09 - Sep 17 with 3481 viewsKeno

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 08:02 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

Dont forget other small clubs up there like chester, Chesterfield, Preston, Tranmere, Everton

and its isnt that long ago Southport was a league team

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:31 - Sep 17 with 3444 viewsBluefish

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:09 - Sep 17 by Keno

Dont forget other small clubs up there like chester, Chesterfield, Preston, Tranmere, Everton

Do you mean Chester?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:33 - Sep 17 with 3435 viewsKeno

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:31 - Sep 17 by Bluefish

Do you mean Chester?

Chester is up north isnt it?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:42 - Sep 17 with 3420 viewsBluefish

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:33 - Sep 17 by Keno

Chester is up north isnt it?

Ah you had Chester as well, I wondered if you meant Chester instead of Chesterfield. Chesterfield is not NW

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:55 - Sep 17 with 3401 viewsKeno

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:42 - Sep 17 by Bluefish

Ah you had Chester as well, I wondered if you meant Chester instead of Chesterfield. Chesterfield is not NW

ok, good point, tho its still 'up north to me

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:55 - Sep 17 with 3402 viewsSteve_M

Partly that but Wigan were never a big club, it's a rugby league town foremost, Dave Whelan just spent a load of money that got them promoted. Even then it's the actions of those who have since purchased the club most to blame.

Dodgy ownership also a factor at Bury and Macclesfield. Bolton's attendance jumped 10k between Premier League and Championship, but hey had years of tv money they just spent it all on wages and, err, 'fees'.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:59 - Sep 17 with 3375 viewsKeno

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:55 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

Partly that but Wigan were never a big club, it's a rugby league town foremost, Dave Whelan just spent a load of money that got them promoted. Even then it's the actions of those who have since purchased the club most to blame.

Dodgy ownership also a factor at Bury and Macclesfield. Bolton's attendance jumped 10k between Premier League and Championship, but hey had years of tv money they just spent it all on wages and, err, 'fees'.

Id forgotten Bury

There is also Stockport and Blackburn in the area as well isnt there

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:07 - Sep 17 with 3361 viewsjaykay

wigan only took the place of southport. its a bit like the non league scene round here . who ever has the man with money gets the mercenaries in the local area. salford with the ex man u. players got all the players in the area. so bury lost out.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:10 - Sep 17 with 3355 viewstextbackup

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:09 - Sep 17 by Keno

Everton? Lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:16 - Sep 17 with 3334 viewsWeWereZombies

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:10 - Sep 17 by textbackup

Everton? Lol

Confused them with Workington? Understandable I guess.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 11:26]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:16 - Sep 17 with 3333 viewsKeno

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:10 - Sep 17 by textbackup

Everton? Lol

haha!!

I wondered when someone would spot that one!!

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 11:32 - Sep 17 with 3308 viewsjayessess

Don't know if the competition quite explains it. None of the four clubs in question collapsed as a result of declining match attendance.

Macclesfield had done quite well in historical terms the last 2 seasons. Bolton's attendances in the Championship and League One were in line with what they got prior to their long stay in the Premier League. Bury's attendances had gone up 25% of so during the last decade. Wigan were never well supported, even in the Premier League.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2020 13:17]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 12:56 - Sep 17 with 3230 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 07:44 - Sep 17 by homer_123

If we stay in league 1 he won’t have to put so much in with wage cap coming!
Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 14:31 - Sep 17 with 3159 viewsxrayspecs

I was reading that Salford have changed their academy strategy recently to focus on recruiting and developing 17-18 year olds released from bigger clubs rather than competing for players in the 16 and under category.

As more money has gone into player development, the better youngsters are being hoarded by the big clubs, this is a particular issue where you have lots of clubs in relative close proximity to each other.

Within about 30 minutes of central Manchester, ,you have Salford, Oldham, (Bury), Rochdale, Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley, Preston, Wigan and Macclesfield.
Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 15:07 - Sep 17 with 3106 viewsquirkie

Having 92 professional clubs in a 50 million population in an area half the size of Germany is a bit ridiculous to be honest, think this pandemic is going to sort that out shortly.

Germany only has 3 Pro leagues then your into semi pro clubs under that.

Something similar would be more suitable in England, a max of 60 pro clubs.

The level of football below the Championship is garbage at best anyway.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 15:09 - Sep 17 with 3100 viewsbournemouthblue

Why do clubs in the North West seem to be the ones struggling the most? on 10:55 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

Bolton basically did what other clubs tended to do

Focused all on wages and talent, rather than an academy or infrastructure

Eventually the bubble burst

Actually despite everything going against us, we held up well under Royle because we had a decent academy and with any real investment, he's have probably got us back up and possibly even kept us there

The rest after Jim Magilton failing to get us back up is history

MM arrested the slide but never got given the investment he needed to take us up to that next step

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024