Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism 07:04 - Sep 18 with 1047 viewsOldsmoker

Grant Shapps, the Transport minister, is in private talks with the rail companies over their franchises. Emergency contracts that were signed in March expire on Sunday. Some rail companies want to walk away entirely because they are losing money.The uncertainty over when Covid-19 will end has left them with no idea when they will return to profitabilty.

Nationalisation through the back door.
Govt. are betraying the private sector by admitting that public owned companies are better run.
Thatcherism is dead/doesn't work shocker.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:14 - Sep 18 with 1022 viewsBlueBadger

Here's what will happen: They'll quietly cut a deal to give the Efficient Private Sector more subs. They're all in favour of paying money to the workshy and unproductive if it's their mates.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 13:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:18 - Sep 18 with 1008 viewsOldsmoker

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:14 - Sep 18 by BlueBadger

Here's what will happen: They'll quietly cut a deal to give the Efficient Private Sector more subs. They're all in favour of paying money to the workshy and unproductive if it's their mates.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 13:28]

Is that the arrangement where they give them taxpayers money on the condition that 5million squid gets donated to Tory party coffers?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:51 - Sep 18 with 961 viewsBloomBlue

Public owned companies are better run.. lol best joke of the day.
Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:54 - Sep 18 with 957 viewsTractorWood

I don't think it's pertinent whether they are public of privately owned at the moment. In both scenarios they would be losing money hand over fist because no one is using public transport.

Didn't TfL get a bailout after about 25 minutes of Covid and then another one in July?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:59 - Sep 18 with 952 viewsSwansea_Blue

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:51 - Sep 18 by BloomBlue

When we went interailing last year, by far the worst services were here in the UK. There’s a mixture from public to hybrid models elsewhere; all seem better than our franchises.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:03 - Sep 18 with 943 viewsTractorWood

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 07:59 - Sep 18 by Swansea_Blue

When we went interailing last year, by far the worst services were here in the UK. There’s a mixture from public to hybrid models elsewhere; all seem better than our franchises.

Agree on the abroad point but our network is 170 years old. Nationalisation worries me with a Tory government. They'd probably give a £2bn contract to a rubber duck manufacturer in Guildford because they once bought some toffee from a Tory bake sale.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 8:03]

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:09 - Sep 18 with 922 viewsOldsmoker

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:03 - Sep 18 by TractorWood

Agree on the abroad point but our network is 170 years old. Nationalisation worries me with a Tory government. They'd probably give a £2bn contract to a rubber duck manufacturer in Guildford because they once bought some toffee from a Tory bake sale.

That sort of expert advice is now lost with the appointment of Chris Grayling as a director of the company who run Felixstowe port.

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:11 - Sep 18 with 921 viewssolemio

The most efficiently run railway in this country this century was the East Coast Main Line (King's Cross to Edinburgh) during the period when it was effectively nationalized.
Login to get fewer ads

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:26 - Sep 18 with 888 viewsGuthrum

The inherent failing of private business trying to run public services is the imperative to make profits and pay shareholders, in sectors where that is, at best, a marginal proposition*. In addition, their leverage on the lending markets (to raise finance) is considerably less than that of a national government.

A better approach might be a formally non-profit (effectively charity) approach, if one still insists that private administration is more efficient than public. Tho there is little real evidence that the latter is true - large companies are just as adept at malpractice, mismanagement and wasting money, often also being overloaded with debt.

There are reasons why workhouses, despite being a reasonable concept, are looked back upon with horror from the comfort of a Welfare State.

* Particularly when the cost of franchise fees is taken into consideration.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:58 - Sep 18 with 832 viewsSwansea_Blue

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:03 - Sep 18 by TractorWood

You can never have enough rubber ducks

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 09:52 - Sep 18 with 764 viewsfactual_blue

Which of his many names is shapps using during these talks?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 10:07 - Sep 18 with 738 viewsBasuco

Closing public owned labs and transfer services to the private sector testing is working well!!! Capacity of 250,000 currently completing around 180,000 test's or around 70,000 people being tested.
Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 11:12 - Sep 18 with 693 viewsbournemouthblue

This could be a way for the Tories to claim Nationalism doesn't work

They'll Nationalise them now, in terrible trading conditions and then cry foul when they cock it up

Incidentally, I think it was the Eastern Line which actually did very well whilst Nationalised but they Privatised it any way
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 11:15]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 11:33 - Sep 18 with 666 viewsTractorWood

Johnson Govt abandons Thatcherism on 08:58 - Sep 18 by Swansea_Blue

You can never have enough rubber ducks

I've definitely seen too many rubber ducks at village duck races.

Chaos.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024