Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday was cancelled last night.... 11:59 - Sep 18 with 7630 viewsitfcjoe

...was due to be heading to Madeira at the end of December for a couple of weeks.

This was all booked well before this was even a thing, and have been waiting for it to be cancelled and to tell the truth am quite relived how early it has been.

In-Laws still want to go, we no longer are - I think it's mad, they are effectively booking a new holiday now for December as the old one is gone - travel insurances must struggle with this etc and I just can't afford to risk going into quarantine - plus thought of travelling with all the restrictions with 2 young kids wasn't much fun.

Am due to be going to Center Parcs in November, was previously booked for May and we put it back - but are going with friends and there will be 8 of us so we can't go - plus facilities are reduced as it is which will make things really inconvenient so that will be cancelled as well.

Have a caravan in Great Yarmouth booked in a few weeks - don't think any facilities there so shouldn't shut......looking forward to getting away!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:04 - Sep 18 with 4174 viewsartsbossbeard

I noticed yesterday that both onthebeach & loveholidays have come out of ABTA now and are no longer guaranteeing existing holiday monies will be returned.

Shocking really.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:09 - Sep 18 with 4157 viewsITFC_Forever

We postponed our holiday to Rhodes from August this year to next summer, and already we're wondering if it will happen.

I've also read that alot of places in the South-West are getting booked up for next summer.... seems there is a trend that people are already writing off foreign holidays for summer 2021.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:11 - Sep 18 with 4143 viewsITFC_Forever

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:04 - Sep 18 by artsbossbeard

I noticed yesterday that both onthebeach & loveholidays have come out of ABTA now and are no longer guaranteeing existing holiday monies will be returned.

Shocking really.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/sep/17/holiday-firms-on-the-beach-and-lo

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:11 - Sep 18 with 4145 viewsTractorWood

I see very little changing by June next year. Anyone booking a holiday abroad now or any form of non essential air travel is taking a massive gamble.

I think the aviation and international holiday market will be in ruin by Christmas.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:16 - Sep 18 with 4112 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:09 - Sep 18 by ITFC_Forever

We postponed our holiday to Rhodes from August this year to next summer, and already we're wondering if it will happen.

I've also read that alot of places in the South-West are getting booked up for next summer.... seems there is a trend that people are already writing off foreign holidays for summer 2021.

Yeah absolutely, that's why we've just been to the Lake District. Just not worth the risk booking a foreign holiday - with the greater risk of catching the disease and the potential loss of money/cancellation/quarantine etc.

Everywhere we looked there we no vacancy signs and the log cabin we stayed in is booked everyday until late October (we pretty much got the last 5 available days).

Speaking to locals (receptionists/restaurant servers etc.) they were saying everyone's coming here for their holidays instead of abroad. Which is better for the UK economy at least.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:17 - Sep 18 with 4109 viewsDanTheMan

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:11 - Sep 18 by ITFC_Forever

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/sep/17/holiday-firms-on-the-beach-and-lo

That is crazy. ABTA managed to get my money back for a holiday in March very recently, after lastminute just stopped communicating with me and wouldn't answer the phone after being on hold for hours.

Can't believe the amount of hassle it was to get a refund when I was among the first affected (my cancellation was due to the Italy lockdown).

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:20 - Sep 18 with 4080 viewsTractorWood

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:16 - Sep 18 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah absolutely, that's why we've just been to the Lake District. Just not worth the risk booking a foreign holiday - with the greater risk of catching the disease and the potential loss of money/cancellation/quarantine etc.

Everywhere we looked there we no vacancy signs and the log cabin we stayed in is booked everyday until late October (we pretty much got the last 5 available days).

Speaking to locals (receptionists/restaurant servers etc.) they were saying everyone's coming here for their holidays instead of abroad. Which is better for the UK economy at least.

I went to the lakes last week and stayed just north of Keswick. Got up Scafell Pike and Skiddaw. Went for a cycle and burned the legs up Whinlatter pass. Awesome time.

Restaurants were booked and rammed everywhere but there was loads of Covid measures in place. Suffolk is very lax by comparison.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:21 - Sep 18 with 4078 viewsJakeITFC

It's a shame that there is so much uncertainty because travelling right now is actually quite enjoyable - empty airports, flights on time and well under capacity, the hotel I stayed in was also really under subscribed and therefore very relaxed.
Login to get fewer ads

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:21 - Sep 18 with 4077 viewsclive_baker

Each to their own and all that, but I just don't miss holidays enough to warrant foreign travel right now. And that's coming from someone who loves to travel. I had 4 trips succumb to Covid earlier in the year and I wouldn't rebook anything abroad in this climate, it feels somewhat unnecessary to me.

I replaced mine with Cornwall and the New Forest, and I've got a trip up to the lakes coming up and I must say I've loved taking the opportunity to explore more of what's on our relative doorstep.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:26 - Sep 18 with 4030 viewsIllinoisblue

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:21 - Sep 18 by JakeITFC

It's a shame that there is so much uncertainty because travelling right now is actually quite enjoyable - empty airports, flights on time and well under capacity, the hotel I stayed in was also really under subscribed and therefore very relaxed.

Was supposed to be in UK in November but have canceled those plans. Just can’t imagine wearing a mask on a plane for 8 hours.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:27 - Sep 18 with 4022 viewsFtnfwest

We deferred our week in Tenerife from July this year to August next but fully prepared to back out by end April when the balance is due depending on the situation. Prepared to lose £300 deposit (long since written off) but not £3,500 for the rest of it.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:38 - Sep 18 with 3965 viewsFixed_It

Had a holiday booked for Hawaii/LA/Vegas in August that had to be cancelled. A tent in Devon was hardly a like-for-like swap, but at least the weather was kind...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:40 - Sep 18 with 3951 viewsFixed_It

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:09 - Sep 18 by ITFC_Forever

Yes. We won't be re-arranging our big road trip until 2022.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:41 - Sep 18 with 3947 viewsBluefish

I've been trying to book to go next year to Crete again and the flight prices have gone crazy. Trying to weigh up whether to accept paying double and book now or wait until loads of people cancel after the winter

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:41 - Sep 18 with 3950 viewsJakeITFC

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:26 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

Was supposed to be in UK in November but have canceled those plans. Just can’t imagine wearing a mask on a plane for 8 hours.

Of all of the time I had a mask on during the transit, the plane was actually the best I found. The air seems to flow quite a lot better and can point the little vent thing straight at the face. Admittedly that was a 3 hour plane journey as opposed to an 8 hour one.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:48 - Sep 18 with 3913 viewsIpswichKnight

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:41 - Sep 18 by JakeITFC

Of all of the time I had a mask on during the transit, the plane was actually the best I found. The air seems to flow quite a lot better and can point the little vent thing straight at the face. Admittedly that was a 3 hour plane journey as opposed to an 8 hour one.

Same when the wife and I went to Norway in August, T5 was empty the plane left on time and wearing a mask for 2.5hrs was no big deal.

Was nice to get away from the UK though, we went to an area not in any of the guide books and it was fab, nice house 50m from a lake in the middle of the woods and only us and the birdsong for company.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:59 - Sep 18 with 3863 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Had to cancel our family “staycation “ to the cotswolds next month due to the rule of 6 . Have rescheduled for next March. Looking to book an air b&b in Devon for the missus and me for the same 4 nights, but after seeing the news about the consideration of a 2 week lockdown possibility, feel reluctant to even bother with that now.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:00 - Sep 18 with 3863 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bummer Joe. It's nice to get away somewhere quite different of course, but just a break and chance to get out of the house for a week is a close second best. Even if it is just around the corner.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:03 - Sep 18 with 3849 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 12:21 - Sep 18 by clive_baker

Each to their own and all that, but I just don't miss holidays enough to warrant foreign travel right now. And that's coming from someone who loves to travel. I had 4 trips succumb to Covid earlier in the year and I wouldn't rebook anything abroad in this climate, it feels somewhat unnecessary to me.

I replaced mine with Cornwall and the New Forest, and I've got a trip up to the lakes coming up and I must say I've loved taking the opportunity to explore more of what's on our relative doorstep.

I think I'd have a different attitude if I didn't have children - would happily travel with just my other half, or on my own, if living in a parallel universe.

But irresponsible for me to go with young kids, because you don't exactly have to think outside the box to see how badly that could all go.

Issue I have now is I have a week off in November and 2 at start of January but not ideal times to go away in the UK as short days and cold weather

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:07 - Sep 18 with 3827 viewsElderGrizzly

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:03 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

I think I'd have a different attitude if I didn't have children - would happily travel with just my other half, or on my own, if living in a parallel universe.

But irresponsible for me to go with young kids, because you don't exactly have to think outside the box to see how badly that could all go.

Issue I have now is I have a week off in November and 2 at start of January but not ideal times to go away in the UK as short days and cold weather

We’re about to see a load of countries add us to their own ‘don’t come here’ lists so any holiday abroad right now would be a huge gamble
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:13 - Sep 18 with 3814 viewsPendejo

Madeira is currently "ok", no quarantine.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53221896

Why cancel so early?

I would have thought Center Parcs more of a covid risk so understand cancellation.

Good luck with the caravan, here's to getting away from it all... Except TWTD of course

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:15 - Sep 18 with 3805 viewsclive_baker

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:03 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

Yeah that's fair, I do think having little ones adds that additional consideration when it comes to planning holidays.

Ps. when we get back to something that resembles normality do re-arrange your visit to Madeira. Wonderful place.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:23 - Sep 18 with 3788 viewsBlueStreak

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:07 - Sep 18 by ElderGrizzly

We’re about to see a load of countries add us to their own ‘don’t come here’ lists so any holiday abroad right now would be a huge gamble

How soon we talking as I am supposed to be going to Italy Friday? Not expecting it to go ahead but you never know.
Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:23 - Sep 18 with 3788 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:00 - Sep 18 by Swansea_Blue

Bummer Joe. It's nice to get away somewhere quite different of course, but just a break and chance to get out of the house for a week is a close second best. Even if it is just around the corner.

I'm not worried about Yarmouth - I like it around there and more importantly the kids do and whilst it is only an hour up the road that can be far enough sometimes as convenient for getting to and from! If Portman Road is open I'll even nip back for the scheduled ITFC match without it being any bother

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:25 - Sep 18 with 3786 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday was cancelled last night.... on 13:13 - Sep 18 by Pendejo

Madeira is currently "ok", no quarantine.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53221896

Why cancel so early?

I would have thought Center Parcs more of a covid risk so understand cancellation.

Good luck with the caravan, here's to getting away from it all... Except TWTD of course

We had flights and accomodation booked separately - accomodation had full cancellation rights, but BA cancelled the flights yesterday (which was a relief to be honest)

So if we were to go, we would now be rebooking, effectively from scratch as there is now no holiday in place in reality

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024