Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. 08:18 - Sep 19 with 1115 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/19/billionaire-chuck-feeney-achiev

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 08:35 - Sep 19 with 1057 viewshampstead_blue

What a lovely thing to do

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 09:15 - Sep 19 with 1004 viewsgiant_stow

ta for the link (what a cracking bloke)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 09:27 - Sep 19 with 997 viewsGuthrum

Indeed.

However, for many years there has been a growing trend among the super-and ultra-wealthy (especially those who made their money from a relatively low start) to give away most or all of their fortunes in their lifetimes*, rather than passing on vast, unearned - and potentially damaging - riches to their children.

A few support specifically political causes, but the majority, in my experience, give mainly to health, education and social welfare.

* Or putting the funds into a grantmaking trust, where they cannot then be used for anything else, but continue making charitable gifts for generations to come.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 10:11 - Sep 19 with 944 viewsBlueBadger

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 09:27 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

Indeed.

However, for many years there has been a growing trend among the super-and ultra-wealthy (especially those who made their money from a relatively low start) to give away most or all of their fortunes in their lifetimes*, rather than passing on vast, unearned - and potentially damaging - riches to their children.

A few support specifically political causes, but the majority, in my experience, give mainly to health, education and social welfare.

* Or putting the funds into a grantmaking trust, where they cannot then be used for anything else, but continue making charitable gifts for generations to come.

That said, it would nice if they, and the enterprises which brought them their riches would pay tax as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 10:17 - Sep 19 with 935 viewsGuthrum

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 10:11 - Sep 19 by BlueBadger

That said, it would nice if they, and the enterprises which brought them their riches would pay tax as well.

Indeed.

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 10:29 - Sep 19 with 922 viewsEireannach_gorm

Chuck Feeney has been very generous to Ireland especially to the education sector.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/atlantic-quietly-closes-its-d
How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 12:15 - Sep 19 with 877 viewsBent_double

I watched 'All the money in the world' the other night - the story of the kidnapping of John Paul Gettys grandson, and his refusal to pay, and (SPOILER ALERT!) at the end of the film JPG's ex-daughter-in-law was offered the job of being temporarily in charge of the charitable trust that was his fortune, apparently everything he ever bought was through the trust to avoid paying tax!

Don't know if it's true/correct/embellished as I haven't Googled it, but apart from the antiquities that went to the Getty museum, there must have been some sizeable donations over the years.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 12:30 - Sep 19 with 855 viewsRyorry

Brilliant human being 👏🏻

World needs many more like him, albeit there are obviously others who are extremely generous with their money (and time).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 13:42 - Sep 19 with 794 viewsGuthrum

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 12:15 - Sep 19 by Bent_double

I watched 'All the money in the world' the other night - the story of the kidnapping of John Paul Gettys grandson, and his refusal to pay, and (SPOILER ALERT!) at the end of the film JPG's ex-daughter-in-law was offered the job of being temporarily in charge of the charitable trust that was his fortune, apparently everything he ever bought was through the trust to avoid paying tax!

Don't know if it's true/correct/embellished as I haven't Googled it, but apart from the antiquities that went to the Getty museum, there must have been some sizeable donations over the years.

The Getty family saga is quite tangled, a mass of intergenerational hatred, spite, drugs and death.

In later life, after he'd had his life turned around (partly through Mick Jagger and cricket), JPG III used his charitable trusts to stop his father's foundation taking art from Britain to the US.

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 13:51 - Sep 19 with 782 viewsRyorry

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 13:42 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

The Getty family saga is quite tangled, a mass of intergenerational hatred, spite, drugs and death.

In later life, after he'd had his life turned around (partly through Mick Jagger and cricket), JPG III used his charitable trusts to stop his father's foundation taking art from Britain to the US.

The drama about the kidnapping, broadcast in 2018 on BBC2 (made in USA I think), was brilliant, worth a watch if it can be found (no longer on iPlayer).

Depicted Getty snr as a despicable & heartless sod.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-10-22/trust-bbc-j-paul-getty-kidnapping-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06g885w

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 13:53 - Sep 19 with 777 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well he didn’t give me any, the old tight arse

There’s someone who knows how to serve. Good on him.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How to give away £6 Bn....Fair play to this fella. on 20:57 - Oct 5 with 614 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

14 minute podcast from R4 today about him....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000n4xv
[Post edited 5 Oct 2020 21:00]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024