Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pleased with that, and with our start overall 17:33 - Sep 19 with 1843 viewsSomethingBlue

That was how we need to be approaching games. Matched Rovers' commitment in a mucky opening period, kept on trying to play our football and tightened the screw until quality told. Very pleased that we never stopped looking to pass it and play through the midfield. Didn't panic or rush things and just looked more clear-headed than we often have. That is ultimately why we won.

Great to have that quality off the bench. We'd begun to dominate in midfield & move the ball more quickly before Downes came on - Bishop had actually started to get very involved - but Flynn really upped our level and Rovers couldn't really cope. Excellent return from Lankester too, that was very promising indeed.

Not hanging the bunting out - still not sure if we will score enough against the better teams with current personnel and we need more pace in the side. Need to see exactly what we have got when the transfer window has shut and when (if!) players like KVY and Jackson are fit. But there are signs it is going in the right direction.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 17:51 - Sep 19 with 1767 viewsBrixtonBlue

I always look for your posts for something sensible and balanced amongst the madness. Spot on again SB.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 17:52 - Sep 19 with 1749 viewsBluefish

In summary, still on the fence?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 17:56 - Sep 19 with 1739 viewspennblue

Lankester is heading for the Prem imo

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 19:09 - Sep 19 with 1664 viewsjeera

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 17:51 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

I always look for your posts for something sensible and balanced amongst the madness. Spot on again SB.

He should write for a paper.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 19:14 - Sep 19 with 1638 viewsxrayspecs

Would add that it has been really good to see players who may not have been seen as starters step up this season. Toto has been excellent, really in impressed with Wilson too.

Chambers has looked good at full back too. We are getting much more out of Nolan than last season and Edwards looks back to his best.

Long way to go but promising signs nonetheless.
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 19:21 - Sep 19 with 1601 viewsketton_itfc

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 17:56 - Sep 19 by pennblue

Lankester is heading for the Prem imo

He’s taking us there with him. A Town fan leading us back to the big time.....
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 19:27 - Sep 19 with 1588 viewsportmanroadblue

Still feel we have got lucky in the last two league games with the zonal marking, we could have been caught out a couple of times and be behind in both games and not sure if we could have recovered. The better teams would punish us.

Also feel we are still a little powder puff in front of goal, but hopefully that will improve with match fitness or a loan striker.
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 20:53 - Sep 19 with 1470 viewsN2_Blue

All positive really.

I’d say we are a striker and a centre back shirt of being a top two team. I don’t think we will get either so Norwood needs to find his way again after an ok start. I know he missed chances but scored a decent amount and performances were generally decent in being a nuisance but even since his first groin injury he’s looked a shadow of the player in his first performances for us.

Jackson I’m not sure if last season was bit of a purple patch and he’ll be able to maintain those standard of performances, I hope he can if he does stay.

I’d like another defender to replace Wilson and play with wolf with chambers and toto options if we need them.

Encouraging, I can’t wait to get KVY back though

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 13:39 - Sep 21 with 1152 viewsxrayspecs

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 20:53 - Sep 19 by N2_Blue

All positive really.

I’d say we are a striker and a centre back shirt of being a top two team. I don’t think we will get either so Norwood needs to find his way again after an ok start. I know he missed chances but scored a decent amount and performances were generally decent in being a nuisance but even since his first groin injury he’s looked a shadow of the player in his first performances for us.

Jackson I’m not sure if last season was bit of a purple patch and he’ll be able to maintain those standard of performances, I hope he can if he does stay.

I’d like another defender to replace Wilson and play with wolf with chambers and toto options if we need them.

Encouraging, I can’t wait to get KVY back though

I am not convinced that Norwood is good enough for a team that has serious aspirations of being in the top 2. 11 goals in 30 games (including 2 against Bolton U18s) is hardly prolific. My concern is how many chances he misses for each goal he gets.

Jackson may well be a better option for us as the lone stiker in the system that we are playing this season. He has the pace to get behind defences and while he scored a similar number of goals per game as Norwood, I just feel he is a potentially better finisher.
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 15:21 - Sep 21 with 1074 viewsSamWhiteUK

While it is a delight to see us trying to pass the ball, we also don't look scared to go over the top should the opportunity present itself, which is great. Just as teams start to try and mark us out of the game, we can just chuck the ball over the top and catch them all out
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 15:28 - Sep 21 with 1051 viewsjayessess

Yeah, the start's being pleasing I think. First half was very much a 2019-20 performance, with lots of poor decisions in attacking areas with enough flaws in defence to get ourselves into trouble. But second half we really stepped it up a lot, moved the ball quicker, picked better passes in attack. Credit to Lambert (*through gritted teeth*) we look a lot more coherent so far this season and his substitutes influenced the game for the better.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 15:29 - Sep 21 with 1049 viewsxrayspecs

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 15:21 - Sep 21 by SamWhiteUK

While it is a delight to see us trying to pass the ball, we also don't look scared to go over the top should the opportunity present itself, which is great. Just as teams start to try and mark us out of the game, we can just chuck the ball over the top and catch them all out

Or on Saturday, after going long from the kick-off, we surprised them by playing some good football...
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 15:38 - Sep 21 with 1019 viewsitfcjoe

There's no excuse to not be right up there, like there wasn't last year.

Such a shame the last 12 months, and all the goodwill built up, were totally wasted - would have made a season trying to implement this style (and the natural ups and downs) much simpler

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 16:23 - Sep 21 with 968 viewstractorboy1978

We had subs that came on in good time and made an impact. I'm struggling to remember that happening at all last season.

A good point made on the BM podcast that we wore them down with our passing and the fresh legs and energy of Downes and Lankester made a difference. I think that might be Jack's role in the short term - giving us 20/25 minutes against a tiring defence. This is why I am keen to see El Miz/Dobra getting on the bench and don't agree with them being loaned out, they are game changers.
Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 16:35 - Sep 21 with 946 viewsjayessess

Pleased with that, and with our start overall on 16:23 - Sep 21 by tractorboy1978

We had subs that came on in good time and made an impact. I'm struggling to remember that happening at all last season.

A good point made on the BM podcast that we wore them down with our passing and the fresh legs and energy of Downes and Lankester made a difference. I think that might be Jack's role in the short term - giving us 20/25 minutes against a tiring defence. This is why I am keen to see El Miz/Dobra getting on the bench and don't agree with them being loaned out, they are game changers.

Lankester's crosses/shots are whipped in with a pace that's very difficult to defend too, great general weapon if you're trying to break down a team defending deep. One we've not really had since Waghorn.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024