Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
thoughts on start 09:04 - Sep 21 with 3591 viewsDyland

Very pleased for each of Bish, Dozzers and Nolan. Long may this continue.

A few of us said after Downes' debut at Loftus Road that a midfield trio of him Bish and Doz was an enticing prospect, if it ever had a chance, and with some luck etc. Nolan fills the gap pretty well and I'm over the moon he has got off to a cracking start, even though I think Downes would be even better in that trio. One can have both thoughts simultaneously, which brings me to Lambert.

Long long long may he continue with a settled side, injuries notwithstanding. You CAN be cautiously optimistic, even excited at the start, and still skeptical or even cynical about our management team. Time will tell. I don't give a fook if we storm the league by complete fluke with the stars aligning and forcing Lambert's hand, or if he has a coherent plan after all and becomes a tactical genius, or whatever. We need to get promoted this season and who cares how it happens.

On the same point, this league is dog sh1t. Arguing about the relative strengths or weaknesses of the oppo is fun and part and parcel of the debate, but let's not get all bitchy over it. We are Ipswich Town ffs. What the holy fook are we doing in this fooking league. Yeh yeh I know Sunderland and others in the recent past have all said the same. So what? They are right, as well as us. History and tradition and whatever is important in sport, especially football in England. And there's no point playing the game or supporting a team if you have no ambition.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

thoughts on start on 09:07 - Sep 21 with 2950 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bigger clubs than us have been in L1 in recent years. It's part and parcel of modern football and the financial disaster that it is.

However, I agree with most points, promising start, let keep a settled side and hope it continues.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

thoughts on start on 09:21 - Sep 21 with 2894 viewsEdwardStone

thoughts on start on 09:07 - Sep 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Bigger clubs than us have been in L1 in recent years. It's part and parcel of modern football and the financial disaster that it is.

However, I agree with most points, promising start, let keep a settled side and hope it continues.

Not that many years ago Man City were languishing in this league
thoughts on start on 09:24 - Sep 21 with 2891 viewsitfcjoe

Ultimately you can only beat what is put in front of you - we have comfotably beaten Bristol Rovers twice now, Rovers went to Sunderland and got a point after leading for 80 minutes, and Sunderland subsequently went to promotion favourite Oxford and beat them comfortably.

I was one last year that felt our good start was built on sand somewhat, but was hoping that it would give us such a good platform we couldn't mess it up from there as things started to click. Ultimately we weren't very good at the start of lats season and nowhere near what our record showed on any of the main metrics - shots, xG, etc.

That is a different story so far this season, we are just not being as clinical as you'd hope to be currently - but it is much better to be a side vreating chances and not taking them, than it is scoring low probablity goals and then holding on for wins which was the case in our good run

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

thoughts on start on 09:26 - Sep 21 with 2867 viewsIpswichKnight

We've got some nice selection headaches coming up, Lankaster and Edwards look the most promising wide attacking players ( though granted Lankaster is coming back from injury so probably not going to start for a few more games ) where does that leave Sears and Judge?

Saturday also showed that Downes is still our best player but as we know 4 into a midfield 3 does not go, someone will have to be left out that looks like it will be Bishop ( of course if Palace stump up the cash it won't matter! ).
thoughts on start on 09:28 - Sep 21 with 2849 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 09:07 - Sep 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

"Bigger clubs than us have been in L1 in recent years."

Aye, was careful to recognise that fact. And they are/were quite right to say and think the same.

thoughts on start on 09:31 - Sep 21 with 2832 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 09:24 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

Ultimately you can only beat what is put in front of you - we have comfotably beaten Bristol Rovers twice now, Rovers went to Sunderland and got a point after leading for 80 minutes, and Sunderland subsequently went to promotion favourite Oxford and beat them comfortably.

I was one last year that felt our good start was built on sand somewhat, but was hoping that it would give us such a good platform we couldn't mess it up from there as things started to click. Ultimately we weren't very good at the start of lats season and nowhere near what our record showed on any of the main metrics - shots, xG, etc.

That is a different story so far this season, we are just not being as clinical as you'd hope to be currently - but it is much better to be a side vreating chances and not taking them, than it is scoring low probablity goals and then holding on for wins which was the case in our good run

"better to be a side vreating chances and not taking them, than it is scoring low probablity goals and then holding on for wins which was the case (last season)..."

Totally this. Felt much the same during that run.

thoughts on start on 09:33 - Sep 21 with 2822 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 09:26 - Sep 21 by IpswichKnight

We've got some nice selection headaches coming up, Lankaster and Edwards look the most promising wide attacking players ( though granted Lankaster is coming back from injury so probably not going to start for a few more games ) where does that leave Sears and Judge?

Saturday also showed that Downes is still our best player but as we know 4 into a midfield 3 does not go, someone will have to be left out that looks like it will be Bishop ( of course if Palace stump up the cash it won't matter! ).

I think Bish and Doz still bring something different to the table than Nolan, and on paper at least Downes, Bish and Doz is a bit of a dream (home grown) ensemble.

thoughts on start on 09:58 - Sep 21 with 2743 viewsStokieBlue

thoughts on start on 09:33 - Sep 21 by Dyland

I think Bish and Doz still bring something different to the table than Nolan, and on paper at least Downes, Bish and Doz is a bit of a dream (home grown) ensemble.

I think that at the moment Nolan is playing to a higher level than Bishop. That might not continue all season but at the moment of the 4 I think you need to go with Dozzell, Nolan and Downes.

It's a nice problem to have that Bishop and Huws are still in the discussion with Skuse filling in when needed.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Login to get fewer ads

thoughts on start on 09:58 - Sep 21 with 2740 viewsTerry_Nutkins

thoughts on start on 09:24 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

I agree it was obvious we weren't playing great last year but we had quite a depleted team at the start and I was convinced we could grow as the team went on. We just continued to muddle through for too long once players were coming back and it was too late by the the time we changed it. Lambert got it wrong last season. Nearly cost him his job and I think people are entitled to say he should have lost it.

He didn't and he we have to see if he can put it right. So far he has implemented a lot of the things we wanted:

Settled side
Trying to build an identity with style of play
Good blend of youth/academy players now in squad (Bishop, Woolf, Dozzell, Downes, Drinnan all making the grade now with Lankaster looking like he can also kick on).
Creating more chances - quicker getting the ball forward.

We still have some fragility I think and I could see us having some difficult spells. I think the cap has probably prevented some additions defensively buy Nsiala has been a real bonus and hopefully Ndaba can kick on and get some game time.

Disappointed Dobra and El Miz don't look like breaking in straight away but El Miz great goal aside they haven't looked to make a real difference in the side to be honest and I think as much as they wouldn't let people down they are better to get a loan until Jan. I just can't see who they would displace for any regular game time which is a shame but doesn't make it the wrong call.

Strikers have ? Too. Who will make that spot. We need Norwood to step up. He needs to knuckle down and make a hero of himself this year.

Finally I think this is it for Lambert. He has shown an ability to change and accept he made mistakes. It's results now for him though. Some hearts and minds seem set but too two and an identity to our play might just swing things. He has to get it right.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2020 10:00]

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

thoughts on start on 10:00 - Sep 21 with 2728 viewsStokieBlue

thoughts on start on 09:58 - Sep 21 by Terry_Nutkins

I agree it was obvious we weren't playing great last year but we had quite a depleted team at the start and I was convinced we could grow as the team went on. We just continued to muddle through for too long once players were coming back and it was too late by the the time we changed it. Lambert got it wrong last season. Nearly cost him his job and I think people are entitled to say he should have lost it.

He didn't and he we have to see if he can put it right. So far he has implemented a lot of the things we wanted:

Settled side
Trying to build an identity with style of play
Good blend of youth/academy players now in squad (Bishop, Woolf, Dozzell, Downes, Drinnan all making the grade now with Lankaster looking like he can also kick on).
Creating more chances - quicker getting the ball forward.

We still have some fragility I think and I could see us having some difficult spells. I think the cap has probably prevented some additions defensively buy Nsiala has been a real bonus and hopefully Ndaba can kick on and get some game time.

Disappointed Dobra and El Miz don't look like breaking in straight away but El Miz great goal aside they haven't looked to make a real difference in the side to be honest and I think as much as they wouldn't let people down they are better to get a loan until Jan. I just can't see who they would displace for any regular game time which is a shame but doesn't make it the wrong call.

Strikers have ? Too. Who will make that spot. We need Norwood to step up. He needs to knuckle down and make a hero of himself this year.

Finally I think this is it for Lambert. He has shown an ability to change and accept he made mistakes. It's results now for him though. Some hearts and minds seem set but too two and an identity to our play might just swing things. He has to get it right.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2020 10:00]

Lankester has surely already shown he could "kick-on" before his injury. He was ahead of all the players listed except perhaps Downes and looked good coming on Saturday.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

thoughts on start on 10:01 - Sep 21 with 2726 viewsIpswichKnight

thoughts on start on 09:33 - Sep 21 by Dyland

I agree, however Nolan is stepping up currently and scoring those goals from midfield which we have badly missed for the last 2 seasons ( He showed glimpses of this as well when we got relegated from the championship ). It's a nice headache to have and for a change we are not scrambling around trying to fit a formation around who's fit.

Saturday we had game changers on the bench and I don't see that many in this league being able to do that, we can add El-Miz to that list as well once he's fit again, a bench of Lankaster, El-Miz and one of say Nolan and Judge covers a lot of bases and gives us that advantage that even if teams are sticking 10 behind the ball we've got that ability to bring on X factor players against tired legs!
thoughts on start on 10:03 - Sep 21 with 2713 viewsDubtractor

Solid enough start and plenty to be positive about.

I do feel that both Rovers and Wigan were very poor teams though and we'll have to see how we perform against better teams. I doubt our back 5 will have an easier game all season than they had on Saturday, they really were utterly lacking any attacking threat at all.

The real positive is that we have created chances though. Albeit it was only really in the last 25 minutes on Saturday with a lot of toil to little effect until then.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

thoughts on start on 10:04 - Sep 21 with 2705 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 09:58 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

I think that at the moment Nolan is playing to a higher level than Bishop. That might not continue all season but at the moment of the 4 I think you need to go with Dozzell, Nolan and Downes.

It's a nice problem to have that Bishop and Huws are still in the discussion with Skuse filling in when needed.

SB

Don't disagree with you and Knighters about that, though Bishop is a technically more gifted ball carrier imo.

Yeh, I have Bishop tinted glasses :) And Dozzer ones :)

I am made up for Nolan nonetheless, he's had a bit of a torrid time at Town.

thoughts on start on 10:13 - Sep 21 with 2653 viewsDarth_Koont

As players come back from injury and transfer interest, keeping a settled side with on-form players will be the test of Lambert’s new commitment.

I really like the way the midfield is emerging as any three of Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop and Downes looks pretty good to me. I think Bishop is most likely to make way at the moment but having him on the bench is a good option anyway. It’s pretty crazy that we’d still have Huws trying to force his way in.

The defence is what it is with only really Ward and Holy in the right position so expect that to change fairly naturally when Woolfenden and KVY are back.

The forward line is the acid test. We’ve looked better with pace and width up front and a more comfortable central striker leading the way. I’d be looking at Edwards, Hawkins and Lankester up front but I’m sure Lambert would lean towards Sears, Norwood and Judge. But IMO we need to be looking at a faster more direct front three and crucially players who are more likely going to push onto the opposition defenders rather than drift deep and wide looking for the ball.

I think getting shape and direction in our front 6 is the biggest change we need to make from last year.

Pronouns: He/Him

thoughts on start on 10:20 - Sep 21 with 2614 viewsIpswichKnight

thoughts on start on 10:13 - Sep 21 by Darth_Koont

As players come back from injury and transfer interest, keeping a settled side with on-form players will be the test of Lambert’s new commitment.

I really like the way the midfield is emerging as any three of Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop and Downes looks pretty good to me. I think Bishop is most likely to make way at the moment but having him on the bench is a good option anyway. It’s pretty crazy that we’d still have Huws trying to force his way in.

The defence is what it is with only really Ward and Holy in the right position so expect that to change fairly naturally when Woolfenden and KVY are back.

The forward line is the acid test. We’ve looked better with pace and width up front and a more comfortable central striker leading the way. I’d be looking at Edwards, Hawkins and Lankester up front but I’m sure Lambert would lean towards Sears, Norwood and Judge. But IMO we need to be looking at a faster more direct front three and crucially players who are more likely going to push onto the opposition defenders rather than drift deep and wide looking for the ball.

I think getting shape and direction in our front 6 is the biggest change we need to make from last year.

I agree about our front three, a few of us have been saying we've lacked pace up there and that's allowed opposition teams to flood our midfield knowing they are never going to be caught on the break, not this season Edwards and Lankaster will keep most if not all full backs honest this season. I do think those two will be the first choice Lambert turns to when they are both fit.
thoughts on start on 10:23 - Sep 21 with 2594 viewsPrideOfTheEast

If we consistently play in the same way with a settled team we'll be absolutely fine. If we start rotating every position (including the GK) and changing formation every week we won't be.

In summary, we're good enough to win the league with a settled side and formation. I think having Sears back in the fold is massive and Ward looks a very good acquistion too. Bishop, Dozzell and Downes are streets ahead of most in this division and everybody else just needs to perform a function to allow those 3 to control games.

Concern would be up front but let's see.
thoughts on start on 10:25 - Sep 21 with 2588 viewshype313

Nolan's been a breath of fresh air, he's finally found his mojo and we all knew there was a player in there and he seemed to have settled into his role currently.

Like Joe said, last seasons early form was built on sand and whilst we were winning we all knew it was more luck than judgement, but this start seems different, we have more cohesion, a style of play which pays a compliment to Lambert and I was a big outer (still not convinced) but credit where credit is due.

And this is all happening before KVY returns, he will add another positve dimension.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

thoughts on start on 10:25 - Sep 21 with 2586 viewsChrisd

And this is exactly where PL has got to show his teeth. If Lankester or Edwards are playing well in those wide attacking roles and are doing good jobs for the team then Judge and Sears will have to wait their turn and vice versa.

Certainly a nice problem for PL to have regarding our midfield, completely agree about Downes has he played himself into the starting line up in place of Bishop on Saturday? Sentiment and reputations need to go out the window and PL needs to make selections which are best for the team instead of accommodating players which he did a lot of last season.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2020 10:30]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

thoughts on start on 10:29 - Sep 21 with 2573 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's been good. Much more movement with runners from the midfield getting ahead of the ball and finding space in between the lines. (If you want any more cliches, let me know). And then more direct and incisive passing as a result. Lambert & co clearly learnt some lessons from last season, thank god.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Indeed on 10:33 - Sep 21 with 2562 viewsDyland

thoughts on start on 10:25 - Sep 21 by hype313

Nolan's been a breath of fresh air, he's finally found his mojo and we all knew there was a player in there and he seemed to have settled into his role currently.

Like Joe said, last seasons early form was built on sand and whilst we were winning we all knew it was more luck than judgement, but this start seems different, we have more cohesion, a style of play which pays a compliment to Lambert and I was a big outer (still not convinced) but credit where credit is due.

And this is all happening before KVY returns, he will add another positve dimension.

I feel the same way. He will still be answerable in part if we lose Downes and Dozzers any others whilst in L1. It's hard to wipe the slate clean again, he had a free hit whilst (having a hand in) relegating us. But hey, I want him to succeed with Town, obviously. There are undoubtedly better "fits" but Evans is pretty uncreative and uninspired at appointing management teams, so here we are all stuck with each other.

Indeed on 10:35 - Sep 21 with 2549 viewshype313

Indeed on 10:33 - Sep 21 by Dyland

I feel the same way. He will still be answerable in part if we lose Downes and Dozzers any others whilst in L1. It's hard to wipe the slate clean again, he had a free hit whilst (having a hand in) relegating us. But hey, I want him to succeed with Town, obviously. There are undoubtedly better "fits" but Evans is pretty uncreative and uninspired at appointing management teams, so here we are all stuck with each other.

Agreed, If he can't mount a promotion challenge with this squad, in this league then it's curtains for his managerial career.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

thoughts on start on 10:43 - Sep 21 with 2516 viewsRyorry

thoughts on start on 09:21 - Sep 21 by EdwardStone

Not that many years ago Man City were languishing in this league

And we were on a par with them when both jostling for promotion at the top of the 2nd tier in mid-late 90s. The split from them & start of the widening gulf was that they got bought by a rich sheikh, whilst we went into admin & got bought by ME ...

I remember also when Manu were languishing in the second tier, with their supporters continually down in the dumps and moaning about it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

thoughts on start on 10:43 - Sep 21 with 2517 viewsHullblue

thoughts on start on 09:58 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Agree that Nolan is playing better than Bishop at the moment, but I don't think I would drop Bishop for Downes yet. Bishop deserves a run of games and on top form he could be one of the best players in the division.

On Nolan, the most impressive thing about him so far is that he's arguably been our MoM in the last two games despite playing in two completely different ways.

Against Wigan I thought he was Downesesque - passing was simple, positioning was diligent, tackling was strong. On Saturday he was suddenly our creative midfielder who dribbles past people and plays through balls. Two top performances.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

thoughts on start on 10:54 - Sep 21 with 2469 viewsLankHenners

Yeah, not overly convincing so far but you can't scoff at 2 league wins out of 2. It's natural to have some caution given the standard of the teams we've played and that we started last season slapping teams aside before it all fell apart but the difference, as has been pointed out, is that we're creating more and getting more shots away rather than having 4 chances and scoring 3 of them like last time.

If Lambert keeps the team as it is we should have more than enough to go up even without being totally convincing (the long term worry is that bundling ourselves up due to just being stronger than everyone else is that we'll get walloped every week if we do get promoted). I still don't have much faith in him making us properly good but hopefully he'll do enough.

The main concern for me at the moment is up front. It's good that the midfield (Nolan in particular) and wide players are chipping in more but it's not that sustainable and we need someone up there who will reliably finish chances. A shame Drinan got injured as his hold-up and link-up play was looking tidy but a big ask to expect him to be a big contributor to goals in his first full season playing regularly. Norwood looks a bit uncomfortable in the lone striker role and Hawkins is still a bit of an unknown and doesn't have the greatest scoring record. Jackson the most dangerous but who knows what's happening with him and also doesn't suit the lone striker role. Hopefully between them they'll manage but still a question mark there for me.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

thoughts on start on 11:06 - Sep 21 with 2419 viewsEdwardStone

thoughts on start on 10:43 - Sep 21 by Ryorry

And we were on a par with them when both jostling for promotion at the top of the 2nd tier in mid-late 90s. The split from them & start of the widening gulf was that they got bought by a rich sheikh, whilst we went into admin & got bought by ME ...

I remember also when Manu were languishing in the second tier, with their supporters continually down in the dumps and moaning about it.

It just seems inconceivable that both Manc clubs were rubbish...

We will get our turn in the sunshine again, all being well
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024