Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good 11:10 - Sep 21 with 5104 viewsSteve_M

Current state of cases, likely impact if rate of increase isn't slowed is not good -> November would be like April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54231625

Sam Coates has the slides:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:12 - Sep 21 with 2329 viewsElderGrizzly

And only 8% have had Covid of UK population.

92% unprotected, even if you assume immunity for those 8% which isn’t guaranteed.
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:15 - Sep 21 with 2305 viewsIllinoisblue

End the season now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:22 - Sep 21 with 2263 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:12 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

92% unprotected, even if you assume immunity for those 8% which isn’t guaranteed.

This is sobering too. 6 months more of considerable restrictions

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:22 - Sep 21 with 2260 viewssolomon

Very good briefing, so glad it was left to the experts.
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:23 - Sep 21 with 2263 viewsSteve_M

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:22 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

"Get back to the office you lazy b*stards" was an inspired piece of government messaging.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:30 - Sep 21 with 2211 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:23 - Sep 21 by Steve_M

"Get back to the office you lazy b*stards" was an inspired piece of government messaging.

Literally. It's so needless and i imagine we'll get another WFH order soon.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:31 - Sep 21 with 2214 viewsLankHenners

How refreshing was it to hear two people who know what they're talking about speak frankly and calmly about the situation? Much better than having Johnson or Hancock bluster their way through an 'everything is under control and if you think it isn't then it's definitely not our fault' message.

Sadly I still think many will accuse them of spreading fake news: already there's loads of replies to tweets like those from Coates demanding that this is ignored and instead we should all listen to an assortment of frauds and know-nothings like Karol Sikora and co.

Such is the way of the world some people would much rather believe what they want to hear rather than take on board genuine knowledge and expertise.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2020 18:25]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:33 - Sep 21 with 2185 viewsWD19

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:12 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

Yeah, of the 8% roughly a quarter will have seen their antibodies wane to the extent they no longer show up. That’s a kicker.
Login to get fewer ads

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 with 2157 viewsHerbivore

All rather sobering. It needs to be followed up with some further measures to help get the virus back under control and slow the spread.

Interestingly they seemed quite bullish about the prospects of a vaccine in the not too distant future, which is good news. If they can produce an effective vaccine that will be a game changer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 with 2149 viewsgiant_stow

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:31 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

How refreshing was it to hear two people who know what they're talking about speak frankly and calmly about the situation? Much better than having Johnson or Hancock bluster their way through an 'everything is under control and if you think it isn't then it's definitely not our fault' message.

Sadly I still think many will accuse them of spreading fake news: already there's loads of replies to tweets like those from Coates demanding that this is ignored and instead we should all listen to an assortment of frauds and know-nothings like Karol Sikora and co.

Such is the way of the world some people would much rather believe what they want to hear rather than take on board genuine knowledge and expertise.

I'm no legal but you sure you want to name one of your frauds and know-nothings?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 with 2164 viewsportmanking

I thought it was diabolical....

Warning us that cases are doubling every 7 days when the graphs clearly showed that there was actually a FLATLINING of new cases:

It's all very well and good telling us the absolute worst case scenario, but why talk about it like it's GOING to happen?

Furthermore, the 8% immunity figure - Vallance spent 2 seconds alluding to potential other "immune responses" that could be protecting others and requiring no need for antibodies e.g. T-Cells.

All of a load of hot air IMO. Talk to us like the educated and informed adults that we are.
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:39 - Sep 21 with 2125 viewsgiant_stow

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 by portmanking

Warning us that cases are doubling every 7 days when the graphs clearly showed that there was actually a FLATLINING of new cases:

It's all very well and good telling us the absolute worst case scenario, but why talk about it like it's GOING to happen?

Furthermore, the 8% immunity figure - Vallance spent 2 seconds alluding to potential other "immune responses" that could be protecting others and requiring no need for antibodies e.g. T-Cells.

All of a load of hot air IMO. Talk to us like the educated and informed adults that we are.

I'll come back and check this multi-pager later.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:39 - Sep 21 with 2127 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:31 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

Depressing

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:40 - Sep 21 with 2123 viewsFixed_It

I didn't hear it, but I suspect they know more about it than you. Just a hunch.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:40 - Sep 21 with 2092 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 by giant_stow

I'm no legal but you sure you want to name one of your frauds and know-nothings?

Sikora is a fraud on Covid.

No untruth there
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:41 - Sep 21 with 2105 viewsLankHenners

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:37 - Sep 21 by giant_stow

That particular person was so confident that he had it right and everyone else was wrong that he was telling everyone we'd be over the pandemic by the end of June, which he then changed to September when it was clear he was well out. You can do some research on him and you'll pretty quickly find he's a nefarious individual who shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:41 - Sep 21 with 2085 viewsElderGrizzly

Its almost like testing has been capacity limited for a week
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:43 - Sep 21 with 2064 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:41 - Sep 21 by LankHenners

That particular person was so confident that he had it right and everyone else was wrong that he was telling everyone we'd be over the pandemic by the end of June, which he then changed to September when it was clear he was well out. You can do some research on him and you'll pretty quickly find he's a nefarious individual who shouldn't be taken seriously.

Indeed.

He makes a lot of money if Covid restrictions are lifted
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 with 2046 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:39 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

Depressing

Now that is awful, what is wrong with people.

Clearly I understand that people are worried, a number of businesses locally have publicly said they will fold with another lockdown. A friend told me he had to take an Addison Lee the other day and the driver said he was already 4000 in debt from the lockdowns and that another one would put him under. More restrictions will likely also lead to more redundancies. People are scared and that is what leads to these irrational Twitter pile-ons.

Interestingly Spain and France have cases per 100,000 at 200 and 150 respectively (with the UK being at about 70) but Italy is only at 30 - they seem to have done something better/different than the rest of the European countries since the initial infections in March.

Does closing the barber whilst there are 400 kids and parents at the school gates every morning and evening make sense to the barber when he's bankrupt? It's an impossible situation and the government just have to make the call.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 with 2035 viewshomer_123

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:23 - Sep 21 by Steve_M

Quite.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 with 2043 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:22 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

And then in March it’ll be another 6 months.

And then another.

And then another.

And then another.

Until eventually the world decides it’s never going away and we simply learn to live with it and hope one day a vaccine turns up.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:49 - Sep 21 with 2005 viewsElderGrizzly

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 by The_Romford_Blue

And then another.

And then another.

And then another.

Until eventually the world decides it’s never going away and we simply learn to live with it and hope one day a vaccine turns up.

Nothing changes until a vaccine. Its not difficult to get.

He said he was hopeful that might be by the end of the year for some groups, but for wider population by mid-way 2021
Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:51 - Sep 21 with 1990 viewshomer_123

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Now that is awful, what is wrong with people.

Clearly I understand that people are worried, a number of businesses locally have publicly said they will fold with another lockdown. A friend told me he had to take an Addison Lee the other day and the driver said he was already 4000 in debt from the lockdowns and that another one would put him under. More restrictions will likely also lead to more redundancies. People are scared and that is what leads to these irrational Twitter pile-ons.

Interestingly Spain and France have cases per 100,000 at 200 and 150 respectively (with the UK being at about 70) but Italy is only at 30 - they seem to have done something better/different than the rest of the European countries since the initial infections in March.

Does closing the barber whilst there are 400 kids and parents at the school gates every morning and evening make sense to the barber when he's bankrupt? It's an impossible situation and the government just have to make the call.

SB

It's incredibly tough as was alluded to. It's a horrible balancing act.

That said, the Gov wanting people to 'return to their normal place of work' doesn't seem sensible does it? Given the stats laid out today.

I also, again, am struggling with the notion of getting people back to stadiums to watch football - certainly make no sense at all to, currently, take that level of risk.

I'm not exactly convinced that the current rule of 6 is any good when schools have returned and/ or kids and others can do organised sport - there will be far too much interaction and therefore won't be the breaks needed for the virus to stop spreading.

I agree though, strong measures are going to see even more businesses go to the wall and/ or many more health problems.

It's a no win situation.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:53 - Sep 21 with 1983 viewsmonytowbray

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:47 - Sep 21 by The_Romford_Blue

And then another.

And then another.

And then another.

The problem is for us to learn to live with it we need a drastic overhaul of our entire geopolitical, economical, environmental and social norms on a global scale.

The fact capitalism just managed to fall over and plunge many every day folk into financial ruin due to a virus shows the system is deeply flawed.

Pandemics. Wild fires. Lower crop yields. Extreme weather. These are all symptoms of climate change which were predicted by scientists decades ago.

If humanity can't figure this out, we don't deserve to survive.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:54 - Sep 21 with 1973 viewsGeoffSentence

Covid Briefing: Patrick Vallance very good on 11:41 - Sep 21 by ElderGrizzly

Its almost like testing has been capacity limited for a week

How does that fit in with those figures?

Although there are well documented problems with testing, those figures still show an increase in testing over the weeks.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024