Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday 22:39 - Sep 21 with 5755 viewsElderGrizzly

Lets hope the virus has its watch working...

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:27 - Sep 22 with 2800 viewsBrixtonBlue

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:23 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

It's not picking on pubs though is it. The way the virus spreads means they are particularly risky places, lots of people indoors at the same time. Even where pubs are doing what they can you'll still find some people not following the guidelines properly. I love the pub but it's very clearly a place that carries risk and pubs are not essential so if there needs to be something done to try and stem the rise in cases then pubs are of course an area where measures can be taken.

i also think they should be cracking down harder on shops (the other main places people are mixing indoors). So many not wearing masks and you just know most of them don't have underlying health concerns that prevents them from wearing one. Most are just selfish.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:31 - Sep 22 with 2788 viewsAce_High1

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:27 - Sep 22 by BrixtonBlue

i also think they should be cracking down harder on shops (the other main places people are mixing indoors). So many not wearing masks and you just know most of them don't have underlying health concerns that prevents them from wearing one. Most are just selfish.

What I found amusing was when this started everyone in the supermarket was wearing gloves. Then when masks came in, masks and gloves but over the last two months the gloves have stopped being worn and now people are just in masks (most not all).

When you stand queuing at the till and watch people with their hands (having touched all of the shopping/items on the shelves) then get their phone out or wallet out, touch there face it does show a blind spot people have in potential transfer of the virus from a surface onto themselves.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:32 - Sep 22 with 2778 viewsmikeybloo88

It's not picking on pubs though is it. The way the virus spreads means they are particularly risky places, lots of people indoors at the same time. Even where pubs are doing what they can you'll still find some people not following the guidelines properly. I love the pub but it's very clearly a place that carries risk and pubs are not essential so if there needs to be something done to try and stem the rise in cases then pubs are of course an area where measures can be taken.

I saw a figure yesterday of 4.8% of cases being traced back to hospitality contact, significantly less than retail or schools.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:35 - Sep 22 with 2778 viewsElderGrizzly

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:21 - Sep 22 by tractorboy1978

Closing them completely would really have to be the beginning of another complete lock down though - which is not going to happen.

You'd have to also close markets, local non-league grounds, tighten up on people unnecessarily going into offices, stop general mixing between households etc. All of which are equally 'risky'.

You're about to see some of those other things you describe revealed today.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:37 - Sep 22 with 2778 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 08:31 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

I can get the logic to an extent, taking away an hour or more of drinking time and getting people out earlier will help - because most who stay in the pub until 10 would stay there until closing and be more drunk by the time they go, which doesn't help anything.

Tough balance to strike, but brings some of the worse performing pubs back into line in an easier way than trying to enforce legislation with more grey areas in and not enough people to do so

I make you half right but don’t think 10 is early enough really - still long enough for a night in the pub and probably will lead to people just starting a bit earlier so shifting the problem

Think for it to really work it would need to be 9 at the latest, but then that probably means it’s not worth opening for a lot of places

Feels like they’ve landed on a middle-ground that doesn’t really suit either, rather than just either accepting that pubs take the hit or accepting the risk of transmission
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:37]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:39 - Sep 22 with 2774 viewsElderGrizzly

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:37 - Sep 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I make you half right but don’t think 10 is early enough really - still long enough for a night in the pub and probably will lead to people just starting a bit earlier so shifting the problem

Think for it to really work it would need to be 9 at the latest, but then that probably means it’s not worth opening for a lot of places

Feels like they’ve landed on a middle-ground that doesn’t really suit either, rather than just either accepting that pubs take the hit or accepting the risk of transmission
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:37]

They've landed on a non-answer.

The medics (Whitty in particular), wanted pubs/restaurants shut for 2 weeks to try and break the cycle, but he has been ignored by Johnson/Cummings.

The hour makes no difference at all.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:40 - Sep 22 with 2755 viewsmikeybloo88

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 08:26 - Sep 22 by Dubtractor

Thing is though, you, me and every other poster on here knew that letting people back into pubs would end up with this problem. So why did the government do it when surely they knew too?

We'll no doubt hear some familiar line today about how they couldn't have foreseen that people would get drunk and ignore social distancing and it is the public's fault.

We all know that huge sections of our population are selfish/ dumb/ idiots so let's not act surprised when they confirm it.

I agree ... trusting the people to all do the right thing was unlikely to work....but what alternative was there? Be accused of restricting freedom and abusing our rights? It was a reasonable decision in my opinion, but of course was not supported as it needed to be by a proper testing and tracking system, nor stringent enough local enforcement of the rules for opening. As Herbivore says, local councils monitoring and closing down the problem establishments earlier would have helped....and really needs to happen now if a full pub lockdown isn't to happen.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:57 - Sep 22 with 2737 viewsPinewoodblue

Closing pubs and restaurants at 10pm needs to be backed up by a city centre curfew from an hour after closure through to 5am.

Those who keep harping on about politicians ignoring advice need to remember that those giving the advice were complicit in the sacrifice of nursing homes to save the NHS.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:08 - Sep 22 with 2730 viewsHerbivore

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:39 - Sep 22 by ElderGrizzly

The medics (Whitty in particular), wanted pubs/restaurants shut for 2 weeks to try and break the cycle, but he has been ignored by Johnson/Cummings.

And the issue will be that by failing to be more decisive now when they inevitably shut the pubs in a fortnight the virus will be much more widely in circulation and pubs will be closed for at least a month rather than the 2 weeks being suggested now. They can't make difficult decisions it seems, so many non-decisions or just letting things happen. Let's not forget that back in March the reason no football took place on the weekend of the 14th was because football authorities decided to take action where the government was still dithering.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:20 - Sep 22 with 2717 viewsElderGrizzly

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:57 - Sep 22 by Pinewoodblue

Closing pubs and restaurants at 10pm needs to be backed up by a city centre curfew from an hour after closure through to 5am.

Those who keep harping on about politicians ignoring advice need to remember that those giving the advice were complicit in the sacrifice of nursing homes to save the NHS.

And they've already started issuing 'advice' again for nursing homes to take in patients from hospital without a test, or worse still where they know a patient has tested positive.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:20 - Sep 22 with 2716 viewseireblue

Luckily we have a world class track and trace system backed up by a world class app, so we can spot patterns of transmi......oh....hmmmm.....well that is awkward.

As an aside, it is notable that what gets reported, is that the government is balancing the economy with Covid protection. And Rishi is having debates in the cabinet, suggesting that the economy needs to keep moving

From what I have seen, Rishi does not seem to come out in public to advocate and put the case across for opening up the economy, but is only in the media when giving away money.

He does seem to be nailing the politics of the situation, or is Dom lining up his next puppet?
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:30 - Sep 22 with 2703 viewsPendejo

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 09:39 - Sep 22 by ElderGrizzly

And weren't the hours extended because binge drinking in the last hour of old (WW1) opening hours were cited as being a cause of anti-social behaviour?

24 hour opening passed on 2005?

There are people in the industry on here probably better placed to comment.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:40 - Sep 22 with 2685 viewsitfcpaul

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 07:35 - Sep 22 by 26_Paz

Absolutely ridiculous. Firstly, not warranted and secondly, actually counter productive as will fuel rise in house parties

when there is a ban for more then 6 people from only two household meeting??

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:48 - Sep 22 with 2669 viewsbluewein

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 07:51 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Everywhere I've been to has been table service only and most places have been closing at 10am anyway as well. I'm not sure how this is going to make any real difference. Either close the pubs temporarily if there's good evidence they are contributing to cases rising or target measures elsewhere. This feels incredibly lazy and half-arsed, so rather apt for our PM.

"Everywhere I've been to has been table service only and most places have been closing at 10am anyway as well."

Blimey. What time do you start drinking...?

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:53 - Sep 22 with 2657 viewshoppy

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:48 - Sep 22 by bluewein

"Everywhere I've been to has been table service only and most places have been closing at 10am anyway as well."

Wetherspoons breakfast, innit?!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:53 - Sep 22 with 2656 viewsHerbivore

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:48 - Sep 22 by bluewein

Ha! Good spot. I usually start around 6am.

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:56 - Sep 22 with 2645 viewsPJH

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 10:40 - Sep 22 by itfcpaul

when there is a ban for more then 6 people from only two household meeting??

I don't think that that rule applies to people that only care about themselves and do not give a f**k about anyone else.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 11:24 - Sep 22 with 2610 viewsstonojnr

They are not though, they are the one of the few places you are visiting now that you can guarantee will be Covid secure and,are performing track & trace,, even supermarkets arent doing that, and PHEs own stats show that the rise is driven by schools,workplaces & care homes not hospitality venues, only one of those can they u- turn on hence the back to work at home guidance.
Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 11:30 - Sep 22 with 2606 viewsHerbivore

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 11:24 - Sep 22 by stonojnr

They are not though, they are the one of the few places you are visiting now that you can guarantee will be Covid secure and,are performing track & trace,, even supermarkets arent doing that, and PHEs own stats show that the rise is driven by schools,workplaces & care homes not hospitality venues, only one of those can they u- turn on hence the back to work at home guidance.

In supermarkets people are wearing masks, they aren't in pubs. You also see in areas where there are lots of pubs and bars that people congregate in large groups outside the venues not socially distancing. Look, I love the pub and have been visiting my local pubs but if something has to be temporarily restricted to try and slow the current increase in cases then pubs seem a logical place to start. I also agree with people working from home where possible, such an obvious way to prevent unnecessary mixing.

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 2602 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 22:45 - Sep 21 by EastTownBlue

Table service only. Pubs will suffer greater hardship once people want to avoid sitting outside.

Yeas, I think the biggest help the Government could get on this is a blast of autumn storms to keep people away from pubs and clubs. Won't help the pubs much though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 14:12 - Sep 22 with 2556 viewsjaykay

Pubs to shut by 10pm from Thursday on 07:51 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Everywhere I've been to has been table service only and most places have been closing at 10am anyway as well. I'm not sure how this is going to make any real difference. Either close the pubs temporarily if there's good evidence they are contributing to cases rising or target measures elsewhere. This feels incredibly lazy and half-arsed, so rather apt for our PM.

should that p.m. at the end also be after 10

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024