Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work from home if you can......again 08:25 - Sep 22 with 7004 viewssolomon

Penfold Gove just said so.
Work from home if you can......again on 08:44 - Sep 22 with 1856 viewshomer_123

Why they ever suggested people should get back to their normal place of work is beyond me.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Work from home if you can......again on 08:49 - Sep 22 with 1836 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

West End theatres to relocate to Boeing 747's.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Work from home if you can......again on 08:51 - Sep 22 with 1831 viewssolomon

Work from home if you can......again on 08:44 - Sep 22 by homer_123

Why they ever suggested people should get back to their normal place of work is beyond me.

Its because Our PM is a fool.
Work from home if you can......again on 08:53 - Sep 22 with 1829 viewssolomon

Work from home if you can......again on 08:49 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

West End theatres to relocate to Boeing 747's.

Surely an intercity train? Those seem perfectly safe according to the government.
Work from home if you can......again on 08:54 - Sep 22 with 1828 viewsEastTownBlue

I think we all know why they gave out that advice for office based workers. Looks like in the majority of cases (particulary in London) the previous advice was ignored.
Work from home if you can......again on 08:55 - Sep 22 with 1826 viewsGuthrum

I can see why they wanted to do it - to avert the risk of city centres dying, offices moving out permanently and thus the associated commercial rents/property values crashing still further*. But whether it was too precipitate or a good idea at all is another matter.

* I'm pretty certain that was a far bigger motivation than concern over the future of Pret a Manger employees.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 8:56]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Work from home if you can......again on 08:56 - Sep 22 with 1816 viewsEly_Blue

What annoys me is that people will jump at this and follow the governments guidance on this to the letter, because it suits them, yet when they are asked to isolate if they feel ill/have symptoms or they come back from a destination where they should quarantine that’s a different story

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Work from home if you can......again on 08:58 - Sep 22 with 1811 viewsHerbivore

Have many people been going back to work? Genuinely curious as pretty much every major employer around here has told people months ago that they won't be going back in until January at the earliest. I don't know anyone doing an office based job that has been going back into the office, they've all still been working from home.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Work from home if you can......again on 09:01 - Sep 22 with 1790 viewsSteve_M

Especially at the same time as schools were going back.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:58]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Work from home if you can......again on 09:01 - Sep 22 with 1788 viewsDubtractor

Work from home if you can......again on 08:58 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Have many people been going back to work? Genuinely curious as pretty much every major employer around here has told people months ago that they won't be going back in until January at the earliest. I don't know anyone doing an office based job that has been going back into the office, they've all still been working from home.

Our office has been opened up a little, 25% capacity, but but no expectation that people should go in. Still encouraged to wfh.

My brothers work have been strongly encouraging people to get back in the office. This in London too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Work from home if you can......again on 09:01 - Sep 22 with 1787 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Work from home if you can......again on 08:53 - Sep 22 by solomon

Surely an intercity train? Those seem perfectly safe according to the government.

If you stick a plane in a field, rip all the seats out and book a band do you think it would be ok?
#thinkinglikeanentrepeneur

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Work from home if you can......again on 09:05 - Sep 22 with 1779 viewsSteve_M

I saw some numbers last week - in the FT I think- that only 20% of people were still WFH full time. That surprised me as anecdotally it would seem more than that. Perhaps it's a London thing and it's been easier for people to go back where they can drive.

The real issue with getting back into the office is capacity. Not just in seating terms where we are at about 40% on "one metre plus" but lifts and the kitchen areas restricted to two people at a time. I can't really be bothered with queuing for ten minutes to make tea or get water when I can walk to the kitchen in seconds.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Work from home if you can......again on 09:07 - Sep 22 with 1761 viewsGuthrum

Work from home if you can......again on 09:01 - Sep 22 by Steve_M

Especially at the same time as schools were going back.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:58]

Altho the schools returning was always really a facilitator (in childcare terms) for getting people back into the workplace.

The Government was unwilling to leave a gap between the two, for economic reasons and to stave off unrest from backbenchers who couldn't understand the need for any delay in "getting the country back to work".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Work from home if you can......again on 09:13 - Sep 22 with 1738 viewssolomon

Work from home if you can......again on 09:01 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

If you stick a plane in a field, rip all the seats out and book a band do you think it would be ok?
#thinkinglikeanentrepeneur

Mmm depends on the band
Work from home if you can......again on 09:13 - Sep 22 with 1740 viewsFtnfwest

Been back in town 1-2 days a week since July. Don't usually use the tube anyway which would have been less appealing day to day, but the office itself which is reasonably spacious even when busy and takes 70-80 people has had a maximum of 15-20 in it.
Work from home if you can......again on 09:16 - Sep 22 with 1724 viewssolomon

Work from home if you can......again on 08:56 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

What annoys me is that people will jump at this and follow the governments guidance on this to the letter, because it suits them, yet when they are asked to isolate if they feel ill/have symptoms or they come back from a destination where they should quarantine that’s a different story

“Government guidance” is a bit of a loose term there. I’m
Not 100% convinced they have the necessary qualities required.
Work from home if you can......again on 09:16 - Sep 22 with 1724 viewsStokieBlue

I've been in last week for the first time with the aim being the team were in Wednesdays to discuss some complex stuff which isn't very easy over Zoom or whatever.

Missus has been back in this week and they seem to be encouraging them more than other offices I've seen. Some friends are also going back in the office this week for a day or two although I guess that will stop now.

A lot of companies still aren't sold on WFH even if the employees say they are just as productive. I know someone in Suffolk who has been back in their large office since July.

WFH will definitely be more of a thing post-C19 but I don't expect many will be 100% WFH over the longer term.

SB
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:17]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Work from home if you can......again on 09:19 - Sep 22 with 1707 viewsHerbivore

Work from home if you can......again on 09:05 - Sep 22 by Steve_M

I saw some numbers last week - in the FT I think- that only 20% of people were still WFH full time. That surprised me as anecdotally it would seem more than that. Perhaps it's a London thing and it's been easier for people to go back where they can drive.

The real issue with getting back into the office is capacity. Not just in seating terms where we are at about 40% on "one metre plus" but lifts and the kitchen areas restricted to two people at a time. I can't really be bothered with queuing for ten minutes to make tea or get water when I can walk to the kitchen in seconds.

Yeah that figure seems really low, I guess maybe if that's for all employed people it includes all the industries where WFH is impossible and where staff were on furlough (retail, construction, hospitality etc.). I honestly don't know anyone with an office job that's worked a day back in the office yet but I guess the picture is different in different places. As I said on the other thread as well, a lot of pubs here are closing at 10pm currently too and all the ones I've visited are already table service only. Cases here have stayed low, it's impossible to infer anything from that but it's an interesting observation.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:25]

Work from home if you can......again on 09:21 - Sep 22 with 1694 viewsEly_Blue

Work from home if you can......again on 09:16 - Sep 22 by solomon

“Government guidance” is a bit of a loose term there. I’m
Not 100% convinced they have the necessary qualities required.

That wasn’t my point.

My point was that people will jump on the yeah of course I’ll WFH as soon as it is mentioned but when they are asked to stay home for other reasons then it doesn’t suit even though it does more harm

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Work from home if you can......again on 09:23 - Sep 22 with 1677 viewsDanTheMan

Work from home if you can......again on 09:21 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

That wasn’t my point.

My point was that people will jump on the yeah of course I’ll WFH as soon as it is mentioned but when they are asked to stay home for other reasons then it doesn’t suit even though it does more harm

"even though it does more harm"

Is there some data to suggest which particular measures are the most effective e.g. offices reopening vs. going to a restaurant.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Work from home if you can......again on 09:24 - Sep 22 with 1680 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sky's offices are open for a small amount of people - and only if you want to. My Creative Director went in for a couple of days last week... I don't know anyone else who has though. Think it's just for people who need to get out of the house!

The missus' office has a similar thing. So far 2 or 3 have gone back out of around 100.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Work from home if you can......again on 09:26 - Sep 22 with 1669 viewsitfcjoe

My wife has had to go in today for the first time in months.....! Admittedly that is because needed face to face meetings with a couple of people to finalise recordings etc for a campaign they are running

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Work from home if you can......again on 09:26 - Sep 22 with 1660 viewsgiant_stow

Work from home if you can......again on 09:24 - Sep 22 by BrixtonBlue

Sky's offices are open for a small amount of people - and only if you want to. My Creative Director went in for a couple of days last week... I don't know anyone else who has though. Think it's just for people who need to get out of the house!

The missus' office has a similar thing. So far 2 or 3 have gone back out of around 100.

Its the bods in houseshares I feel for - working from home in your bedroom must be very tough.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Work from home if you can......again on 09:26 - Sep 22 with 1656 viewsHerbivore

Work from home if you can......again on 09:21 - Sep 22 by Ely_Blue

That wasn’t my point.

You're doing a grand job of blindly parroting the government in blaming the public whilst offering no evidence to back up your assertions.

Work from home if you can......again on 09:28 - Sep 22 with 1651 viewsBrixtonBlue

Work from home if you can......again on 09:26 - Sep 22 by giant_stow

Its the bods in houseshares I feel for - working from home in your bedroom must be very tough.

Yeah true. I'm lucky I have the garden as my office.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024