Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US election megathread 03:24 - Sep 23 with 138155 viewsSpruceMoose

Seeing as we are approaching the presidential debates, and with the actual election being only 42 days away, maybe we could keep this as a US election megathread for those on here who are interested? One location for all the discussion would prevent multiple threads clogging up the board for those who don't care to get involved?

Personally, the reality of having to experience this election in the near future is stressful AF so if anyone else wants to get stressed together... Jump on board.

Now, insert all the usual caveats about polling here but...it's looking positive that we will be rid of Trump come 2021, much to the disappointment of a couple of posters on here. 538 are well respected in the field of poll analysis so what they announce should be taken seriously.

Of course their analysis doesn't take account of any election fraud, Russian interference, voter suppression etc. But it's positive news none the less. Once Trump is gone, we can work on Johnson. Decent people of the world... Unite!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 3:32]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

US election megathread on 15:09 - Oct 8 with 2133 viewsflimflam

US election megathread on 14:49 - Oct 8 by SpruceMoose

You of course realise that all of those things are being explored as a response to the way Republicans have been playing the game and rigging the system for years now.

Gerrymandering... voter suppression... The Republicans have opened the door by going against accepted norms and playing by their own set of rules. It's a bit rich to start crying when Democrats do likewise. Did you really think the GOP could keep playing dirty and not experience any pushback eventually?

Moving on to your QAnon list.

There was nothing fake about the Russian collusion claims. That's been incredibly well demonstrated.

Likewise, Ukrainian quid pro quo was comprehensively demonstrated to have happened.

Why shouldn't DC and Puerto Rico have statehood? I'm yet to hear an argument as to why not that doesn't boil down to 'because they're unlikely to vote for the Republicans'.

The Supreme court has had other numbers of judges in the past. There have been six. There have been nine. There's nothing in the constitution to prevent it. Again, this wouldn't even have been a discussion point had it not been for the stinking hypocrisy of McConnell and the GOP senate.

The conspiracy theories about Clinton and her buttery males are a joke at this point. No serious person believes that there is anything in it, and nobody has provided any evidence, despite you lot being so obsessed with her that she lives in your heads 24/7.

Anyway, you're sounding a bit panicked about what's to come. Is Trump really the guy you want to get behind? I mean each to their own but that's a seriously dodgy guy you're sticking up for.

Now, are you going to tell us why you think Pence won last night's debate?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 14:53]

I'm no Trump supporter and have never said I was but certainly would not support the Democrats. Thats the dilemma facing a lot of Republicans.

There are probably 100,000s Republicans (I know some personally) who are voting for the party whilst holding their nose. Whether thats right or wrong is another question but its a binary choice pretty much.

I still feel if the Democrats had chosen their candidates better they would have obliterated Trump. As it stands I still believe Trump will win if not the popular vote but the college certainly.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

US election megathread on 15:14 - Oct 8 with 2122 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:09 - Oct 8 by flimflam

I'm no Trump supporter and have never said I was but certainly would not support the Democrats. Thats the dilemma facing a lot of Republicans.

There are probably 100,000s Republicans (I know some personally) who are voting for the party whilst holding their nose. Whether thats right or wrong is another question but its a binary choice pretty much.

I still feel if the Democrats had chosen their candidates better they would have obliterated Trump. As it stands I still believe Trump will win if not the popular vote but the college certainly.

Who do you think the Democrats should have gone with if not Biden?

You say you're not a Trump supporter but you've just regurgitated all of his disingenuous talking points, so the last four years have clearly tainted you in some fashion.

It's a shame these 100,000 Republicans haven't kicked up a stink about what's happened to their party rather than holding their noses and voting for the joke they have in charge. I think it's a fair assumption to say that in reality, they like what has happened, they like what he's done, they like how he's hurt all the right people, they just know enough to think it's a really bad look to admit that out loud.

I think you're going to have a shock come election day. Trump couldn't even win the popular vote when he hadn't killed 210,000 people and committed election interference. As loathed as Clinton was, he still couldn't get more votes than her. I also don't see where he's getting the votes to win the EC. Which states are you expecting him to take to get him there?

But like you said, the discussion on here after will be fun either way.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 15:19]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

US election megathread on 15:27 - Oct 8 with 2097 viewsm14_blue

Why would you certainly not support the Democrats?

I agree Biden is hardly inspirational but in comparison to Trump????

I would suggest that the Republicans who continue to vote along bipartisan lines, despite seeing Trump for what he is, will not be looked kindly on by history. They’re enabling the destruction of everything positive about America just to support their team.

Now is the time for every American with a vote to show the content of their character, even if that means decisions they would have thought unthinkable a few years ago.
US election megathread on 15:28 - Oct 8 with 2095 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:27 - Oct 8 by m14_blue

Why would you certainly not support the Democrats?

I agree Biden is hardly inspirational but in comparison to Trump????

I would suggest that the Republicans who continue to vote along bipartisan lines, despite seeing Trump for what he is, will not be looked kindly on by history. They’re enabling the destruction of everything positive about America just to support their team.

Now is the time for every American with a vote to show the content of their character, even if that means decisions they would have thought unthinkable a few years ago.

"But her emails"
"But his birth certificate'

Trump's grotesque nature is a feature, not a bug, to Republicans.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 15:29]

US election megathread on 15:37 - Oct 8 with 2073 viewsm14_blue

US election megathread on 15:28 - Oct 8 by SpruceMoose

"But her emails"

Im genuinely baffled, flimflam seems like a decent enough sort and yet he has this inexplicable blind spot with the Donald.

To my eyes in order to support him you have to be able to dismiss the evidence of your own eyes and claim fake news, or be a massively stupid, racist belldong.

He doesn’t really seem like either.
US election megathread on 15:40 - Oct 8 with 2069 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:37 - Oct 8 by m14_blue

Im genuinely baffled, flimflam seems like a decent enough sort and yet he has this inexplicable blind spot with the Donald.

To my eyes in order to support him you have to be able to dismiss the evidence of your own eyes and claim fake news, or be a massively stupid, racist belldong.

He doesn’t really seem like either.

That's the paradox we've been living with over here, and I have to say, where I've landed is that a lot of Trump supporters are just secretly massively stupid, racist belldongs - and I include family members in that.

There's just no other explanation for the things they're prepared to tolerate and their cold attitude towards the harm that is being inflicted on others.

These people have spent the last four years telling us who they are. I think it's time we listened and took them at their word.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 15:41]

US election megathread on 15:46 - Oct 8 with 2061 viewsStokieBlue

US election megathread on 15:40 - Oct 8 by SpruceMoose

That's the paradox we've been living with over here, and I have to say, where I've landed is that a lot of Trump supporters are just secretly massively stupid, racist belldongs - and I include family members in that.

There's just no other explanation for the things they're prepared to tolerate and their cold attitude towards the harm that is being inflicted on others.

These people have spent the last four years telling us who they are. I think it's time we listened and took them at their word.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 15:41]

Mass Stockholm syndrome?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

US election megathread on 15:52 - Oct 8 with 2051 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:46 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

Mass Stockholm syndrome?

SB

I think the project that the GOP has been running for decades to decrease education levels, increase selective outrage, decrease trust in experts, steer people towards blaming society's most disenfranchised people for all their problems and encourage people to act against their best interests has been a raging success.

Login to get fewer ads

US election megathread on 15:57 - Oct 8 with 2038 viewsSwansea_Blue

US election megathread on 14:10 - Oct 8 by HARRY10

That doesn't stack u[.

Check the 'close' states that Biden does not need to win such as Florida, Pennsylvania etc and Biden has not only moved them away from a Trump lead but to Biden lead, one that is also increasing.

Trump needs to win ALL the marginal states to finish around 40 seats behind Biden (as it stands). Many of those marginals were previously a few points in favour of Trump. They are now a few points in favour of Biden and continuing to edge further in his favour.

A few weeks back if Trump won all the marginals he would win the race - now, not only does he have to win them all but pick up another 30 plus of states that are solid Biden, or have been increasing their votes towards Biden

It is not going to happen. Had Trump retained the 8 point gap there could be made an argument that he would have a late spurt - but the past month or so has seen him consistently fall further and further behind

Check for a detailed current standing

https://www.270towin.com/

I hope you're right and the polls are right. I've no idea whether they will be or not and not following closely enough to be able to gauge it. I'm just naturally cautious about polls after the Leave/Remain polling showed Remain ahead in the last week or so before the vote (and for most of the 2 years before). Whether that's of any relevance to the US situation I've no idea. I'd love to see Trump get battered in the vote though. 100%. The bigger the defeat the better.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

US election megathread on 16:22 - Oct 8 with 2018 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread on 15:57 - Oct 8 by Swansea_Blue

I hope you're right and the polls are right. I've no idea whether they will be or not and not following closely enough to be able to gauge it. I'm just naturally cautious about polls after the Leave/Remain polling showed Remain ahead in the last week or so before the vote (and for most of the 2 years before). Whether that's of any relevance to the US situation I've no idea. I'd love to see Trump get battered in the vote though. 100%. The bigger the defeat the better.

Only relevant in that the 2016 polls showed Leave closing the gap over the closing weeks, whereas Biden has had a substantial lead and is actually now pulling further away - most importantly in the marginals where Trump needs to win.

Win ALL of them to then still be behind by 40 seats.

Every election that I have ever watched where it might have been considered an unexpected result has shown the winner to have been closing the gap in the weeks leading up to the vote. Certainly not continuing to fall further behind as Trump is.

A clear example is that Trump needs to win states that are now considered safe Biden states. Far from doing that the polls are consistently showing him slipping further behind it states that a few months back were considered certs for Trump.

The polls need to turn massively in Trumps favour - instead they are continuing to slide further towards Biden. It is as good as over.

as this shows

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/fed-up-trump-losing-support-of-key-demog
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 16:39]
US election megathread on 16:34 - Oct 8 with 2004 viewstractordownsouth

US election megathread on 14:34 - Oct 8 by flimflam

Like the fake Russian collusion claims?

What about the Ukranian quid pro quo?

Or the fact they want to break the electoral college as its in the way?

Or add more states so they always have the monopoly?

Or maybe openly admitting they will flood the Supreme Court if they win?

It is all out in the open now and only a matter of time before Hillary is outed. Kevin Clinesmith is just the start.

Cmon Man.

The electoral college almost definitely won't be abolished, but even if it was, why is that bad?

Unlike the UK, the US executive doesn't derive its' power from the legislative branch, so Presidential elections should be decided by the popular vote. Surely it's not democratic that the GOP has won 3 of the last 7 elections, despite winning the popular vote only once?

As Spruce alluded to, it seems the only argument against is because the Republicans wouldn't win

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

US election megathread on 16:38 - Oct 8 with 1999 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 16:34 - Oct 8 by tractordownsouth

The electoral college almost definitely won't be abolished, but even if it was, why is that bad?

Unlike the UK, the US executive doesn't derive its' power from the legislative branch, so Presidential elections should be decided by the popular vote. Surely it's not democratic that the GOP has won 3 of the last 7 elections, despite winning the popular vote only once?

As Spruce alluded to, it seems the only argument against is because the Republicans wouldn't win

I'm surprised he didn't also add repealing Citizens United as another 'radical' thing that the Democrats might like to do. That's definitely one thing that the majority of the country would probably be behind when it has been explained to them what it is.

US election megathread (n/t) on 16:58 - Oct 8 with 1979 viewsfloridablue

Agree with this ...... and I have a vote!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 17:01]
US election megathread on 17:02 - Oct 8 with 1974 viewsJ2BLUE

Meh. That debate was a 0-0 which both sides will claim they were the better side.

Pence reminds me of Mick McCarthy without the charm, wit and humour.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:04 - Oct 8 with 1972 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread (n/t) on 16:58 - Oct 8 by floridablue

Seeing as FlimFlam didn't answer perhaps you could take on a question that was asked?

Why would you not vote for the Democrats?

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:05 - Oct 8 with 1970 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread (n/t) on 16:58 - Oct 8 by floridablue

"....Trump will win if not the popular vote but the college certainly. "

Of course you do

Just as I believe the Pope will bring out a new range of rubber johnnies, and my local synagogue will start selling pork pies on November 3rd

Trump is set to be wiped out, and he knows it - just as you do
US election megathread on 17:06 - Oct 8 with 1968 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 17:02 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

Meh. That debate was a 0-0 which both sides will claim they were the better side.

Pence reminds me of Mick McCarthy without the charm, wit and humour.

If Mick was a psychotic, gay hating, misogynistic, racist liar then you might be on to something.

People keep telling me it was a draw, or that Pence won, but nobody seems able to explain why. From my living room it was obvious that one person on that stage lies as easily as breathing and was presenting a alternative view of reality from what we have been living through for the last four years.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 17:09]

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:21 - Oct 8 with 1949 viewsflimflam

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:05 - Oct 8 by HARRY10

"....Trump will win if not the popular vote but the college certainly. "

Of course you do

Just as I believe the Pope will bring out a new range of rubber johnnies, and my local synagogue will start selling pork pies on November 3rd

Trump is set to be wiped out, and he knows it - just as you do

I will bookmark this post for about a month from now.

The Polls for 2016, Brexit, 2019 all called it massively wrong and have done again.

Why people take any notice of them whatsoever I have no idea.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:25 - Oct 8 with 1941 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:21 - Oct 8 by flimflam

The Polls for 2016, Brexit, 2019 all called it massively wrong and have done again.

My prediction is that you'll be nowhere to be found come the day after the election.

Just saying 'polls have been wrong' is lazy and a complete misunderstanding of the situation.

I can see why you would be relying on that though, I mean, you guys need a miracle at this point.

US election megathread on 17:27 - Oct 8 with 1935 viewsJ2BLUE

US election megathread on 17:06 - Oct 8 by SpruceMoose

If Mick was a psychotic, gay hating, misogynistic, racist liar then you might be on to something.

People keep telling me it was a draw, or that Pence won, but nobody seems able to explain why. From my living room it was obvious that one person on that stage lies as easily as breathing and was presenting a alternative view of reality from what we have been living through for the last four years.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 17:09]

I was including all that under charm.

Pence did ok. Harris refused to answer several times as they both did. Her natural look is also quite unfortunate as it looks like she's smirking. I realise that's probably not a point that will go down well but it was especially noticeable when she was addressing the parents of the person who was killed.

I think the main reason I consider it a draw is because neither would have convinced anyone from the other side. I can imagine Twitter after that debate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

US election megathread on 17:30 - Oct 8 with 1929 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 17:27 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

Pence did ok. Harris refused to answer several times as they both did. Her natural look is also quite unfortunate as it looks like she's smirking. I realise that's probably not a point that will go down well but it was especially noticeable when she was addressing the parents of the person who was killed.

I think the main reason I consider it a draw is because neither would have convinced anyone from the other side. I can imagine Twitter after that debate.

Nobody was ever going to convince anyone over from the other side. The GOP are trying to 'but both sides' it to make people feel jaded and put them off bothering to vote. The Democrats are trying to increase turnout.

Nobody at this stage is truly saying, hmmm, well I like Biden and his general moderate policies, but I also love how Trump causes chaos every day and encourages racist ring wing militias... who to vote for...

US election megathread on 17:30 - Oct 8 with 1927 viewsbluelagos

US election megathread on 17:27 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

That was how I saw it. She would have appealed to Democrats, Pence to Republicans. Both were evasive on more than 1 occasion, literally ignoring the question and going with a prepared speech on another topic.

Why the interviewer didn't pull them up on it I don't know.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:38 - Oct 8 with 1911 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread (n/t) on 17:21 - Oct 8 by flimflam

called it ?

Did they rename the polls ?

And if you check, the polls were accurate

Showing a consistent movement towards the winner.

Just as they are now.
US election megathread on 17:47 - Oct 8 with 1896 viewsEireannach_gorm

US election megathread on 15:28 - Oct 8 by SpruceMoose

"But her emails"

He's still at it.

US election megathread on 17:59 - Oct 8 with 1873 viewsSwansea_Blue

US election megathread on 16:22 - Oct 8 by HARRY10

Only relevant in that the 2016 polls showed Leave closing the gap over the closing weeks, whereas Biden has had a substantial lead and is actually now pulling further away - most importantly in the marginals where Trump needs to win.

Win ALL of them to then still be behind by 40 seats.

Every election that I have ever watched where it might have been considered an unexpected result has shown the winner to have been closing the gap in the weeks leading up to the vote. Certainly not continuing to fall further behind as Trump is.

A clear example is that Trump needs to win states that are now considered safe Biden states. Far from doing that the polls are consistently showing him slipping further behind it states that a few months back were considered certs for Trump.

The polls need to turn massively in Trumps favour - instead they are continuing to slide further towards Biden. It is as good as over.

as this shows

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/fed-up-trump-losing-support-of-key-demog
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 16:39]

Interesting thanks. Sounds promising.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024