Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US election megathread 03:24 - Sep 23 with 137949 viewsSpruceMoose

Seeing as we are approaching the presidential debates, and with the actual election being only 42 days away, maybe we could keep this as a US election megathread for those on here who are interested? One location for all the discussion would prevent multiple threads clogging up the board for those who don't care to get involved?

Personally, the reality of having to experience this election in the near future is stressful AF so if anyone else wants to get stressed together... Jump on board.

Now, insert all the usual caveats about polling here but...it's looking positive that we will be rid of Trump come 2021, much to the disappointment of a couple of posters on here. 538 are well respected in the field of poll analysis so what they announce should be taken seriously.

Of course their analysis doesn't take account of any election fraud, Russian interference, voter suppression etc. But it's positive news none the less. Once Trump is gone, we can work on Johnson. Decent people of the world... Unite!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 3:32]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

US election megathread (n/t) on 06:11 - Oct 9 with 1436 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread (n/t) on 23:45 - Oct 8 by Bent_double

This is the one thing that still worries me: will undecided voters look at an ageing Biden and wonder how long it will be before Harris takes over as President?

I don't know much about Pence, and by all accounts he's no better than Trump, but at least he looks the part - which might be enough for certain types of people.

For those still unable to grasp what is happening

President Donald Trump faces some challenging obstacles in Wisconsin with fewer than 30 days until Election Day

"President Donald Trump's once-comfortable advantage in the pivotal region of Wisconsin around the blue-collar hub of Green Bay has dwindled. In suburban Milwaukee long a Republican-dominated area, it has thinned as well.

And his supporters are far from confident he can find thousands of new voters in the state's sparsely populated rural areas to make up for the setbacks.

Trump's path to victory in Wisconsin, a state he won narrowly in 2016, has become increasingly complicated, and so has his path to the 270 electoral votes needed for his reelection.

“It’s challenging. There are far more states in play in 2020 than there were in 2016,” said Whit Ayers, a veteran Republican pollster. “And they include states Trump won by a significant margin like Arizona, Iowa, Ohio and Georgia.”

Few states are as important to the president's prospects as Wisconsin, which he carried by less than 23,000 votes out of nearly 3 million cast in 2016 and which had not voted for a Republican for president in more than a generation.

But even Trump's supporters concede the hill is steep given the declines they are seeing. “Can Republicans and Trump offset that? That’s the big question, and I don’t have a strong answer,” said Jim Miller, the Republican chairman of Wisconsin’s 7th Congressional District, which covers the state’s northernmost 26 counties.

Trump's once narrow edge in that region collapsed in a Marquette University poll published Wednesday. GOP legislative surveys noted by strategists are also prompting worries that there's little time to rebuild the margins they need to win the state a second time.

“He’s winning the Green Bay market, but not by enough to help him statewide," said Scott Jensen, a Republican former Wisconsin Assembly speaker who is advising in several competitive Statehouse races.

The obstacle is similar to Trump's in Ohio, where he won by 8 percentage points but where public surveys show the race close.

“You can’t win a state by 8 and then 30 days out struggling in places you dominated," said Scott Borgemenke, a onetime top adviser to Republican former Ohio Gov. Bob Taft.

As Biden's campaign on Tuesday announced stepped-up Ohio advertising, Trump was reducing his Ohio advertising, according to the ad tracking firm Kantar/CMAG.

The trend is similar in Wisconsin, where Trump slashed his advertising by 75% over the past month and was being swamped by Biden's spending, $2.3 million to less than $173,000 as of last week, according to Kantar/CMAG.

Trump also needs to vastly improve in Milwaukee's suburbs, Jensen said.

The president last campaigned in Milwaukee in January, the night Democrats debated in Des Moines, Iowa, ahead of the presidential caucuses. Trump visited blue-collar Kenosha south of Milwaukee in August after the shooting of a Black man by white police officers, though he held no political events.

Wisconsin voters “will see a lot more of the Trump campaign over the next four weeks,” Trainer said.

Still, Trump's suburban absence has underscored his Wisconsin dilemma, one that shadows him in Pennsylvania: Stay away from the state's population centers or show up and risk alienating suburban voters.

It's sparked some unlikely campaign travel advice for Trump from Wisconsin Republican Rep. John Nygren.

“Not to be disrespectful to him, but, for him, he may be better off not going to the suburbs," said Nygren, from Marinette in far northwestern Wisconsin. “Because if he’s not in the news, maybe it’s not a reminder of concerns that people have.”

Jensen said the president's combative persona has cost him.

“It's all a matter of style. That traditional GOP base of college-educated professionals can’t stand the president’s style," said Jensen, who has conducted focus groups in key Milwaukee area legislative districts.

It's a scenario also playing out in Pennsylvania, where Trump won by a smaller percentage than in Wisconsin.

And in Pennsylvania Trump is facing a more dire decline in suburbs where Republicans held sway until 2016, such as Chester County, and have lost ground since, said Republican former U.S. Rep. Ryan Costello, who represented Chester County until last year.

Trump has seemed to heed Nygren's advice, campaigning since August in Oshkosh, a hub of the southern Fox Valley, and in September outside Wausau, the media market reaching furthest into northern Wisconsin. Vice President Mike Pence has followed suit, campaigning in Wausau, in LaCrosse on the western border and in Eau Claire in the northwest.

But Trump would have to attract several thousand first-time voters in the sparsely populated rural north, where in several counties he received more than 60% of the vote, to compensate for the declines in more populous parts of the state.

“It's going to be a challenge,” Mike Bub, GOP chairman in tiny Taylor County, said with a shrug. Trump received 70% of the vote in the county of 20,000 west of Wausau. Taylor posted Trump's second-highest 2016 margin in Wisconsin.

What's more, Marquette's September poll shows Biden, not Trump, receiving more support from first-time voters. “Can you squeeze enough votes out of there to make the difference?" Jensen said. “Probably not." 8th October 2020
US election megathread on 09:13 - Oct 9 with 1371 viewsflimflam

US election megathread on 01:21 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

Of all the lies flying around, not only on the stage last night but the lies that have been spewing out of government mouths for the last four years, THAT was the one that upset you?!

Jeez.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 1:32]

Lied about Fracking.

Lied about reversing tax cuts.

Confused their views on the green deal. Are they for it or not?

Smirked when asked about packing the court and refused to answer the question.

Has some kind of hard on with China.

Sure there are more.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

US election megathread on 11:18 - Oct 9 with 1328 viewsm14_blue

US election megathread on 09:13 - Oct 9 by flimflam

Lied about Fracking.

Sure there are more.

If lying is a big issue for you (and I agree that it should be), how do you square that with hoping for a Trump win?

Surely no one could pretend he isn't an habitual liar?
US election megathread on 12:19 - Oct 9 with 1306 viewsSpruceMoose

Lied about Fracking.

Sure there are more.

You guys really do live in a seperate reality don't you?

It's like you've just woke up from a coma, missed the last four years of lies, death and corruption and thought 'now, who is this nice fella with the fly on his head?'

If you want to talk about liars, you should direct your scorn towards the current administration, not back them up (which you clearly do despite your claims otherwise). Over 20,000 lies or misleading claims from Trump during his presidency, and that doesn't even include the lies from his goons like Pence. I don't expect you'll have much to say about that though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

US election megathread on 12:21 - Oct 9 with 1304 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 11:18 - Oct 9 by m14_blue

If lying is a big issue for you (and I agree that it should be), how do you square that with hoping for a Trump win?

Surely no one could pretend he isn't an habitual liar?

Quite. I'm not buying his story. Clearly people are being judged by a different set of standards. Which makes me wonder why. Probably the classic 'everything is permissible so long as it's the people I like doing it' justification.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 12:22]

US election megathread on 12:40 - Oct 9 with 1288 viewstractordownsouth

Lied about Fracking.

Sure there are more.

Trump isn't tough on China or Chinese trade. He made his MAGA caps there.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

US election megathread on 16:51 - Oct 9 with 1222 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 12:21 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

Quite. I'm not buying his story. Clearly people are being judged by a different set of standards. Which makes me wonder why. Probably the classic 'everything is permissible so long as it's the people I like doing it' justification.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 12:22]

Trump has just conceded the election.

Even if this was true, it only would apply if Biden was President 🙄
US election megathread on 17:01 - Oct 9 with 1214 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 16:51 - Oct 9 by ElderGrizzly

Trump has just conceded the election.

Even if this was true, it only would apply if Biden was President 🙄

For all of his bullying and bluster, he has truly descended to such a pathetic level now that he's a joke, a freak show, a true Wizard of Oz.

Imagine being impressed by him. If you are, you should seek professional help.

Login to get fewer ads

US election megathread on 17:03 - Oct 9 with 1207 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 17:01 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

For all of his bullying and bluster, he has truly descended to such a pathetic level now that he's a joke, a freak show, a true Wizard of Oz.

Imagine being impressed by him. If you are, you should seek professional help.

Always a good time to share this then

US election megathread on 17:07 - Oct 9 with 1204 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 17:03 - Oct 9 by ElderGrizzly

Always a good time to share this then

I'd forgotten he used to be able to speak in complete sentences, off a teleprompter at least.

US election megathread on 17:14 - Oct 9 with 1194 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 17:07 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

I'd forgotten he used to be able to speak in complete sentences, off a teleprompter at least.

His mind is gone

US election megathread on 17:46 - Oct 9 with 1178 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 17:14 - Oct 9 by ElderGrizzly

His mind is gone

Hmm a building with tiny windows...

I know what he means. He means Biden wants to send him to jail.

Also, that sounds like a rather wet cough he has there. Any chance we are in the pneumonia stage of the virus progression yet?
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 17:47]

US election megathread on 17:56 - Oct 9 with 1163 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 17:46 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

Hmm a building with tiny windows...

I know what he means. He means Biden wants to send him to jail.

Also, that sounds like a rather wet cough he has there. Any chance we are in the pneumonia stage of the virus progression yet?
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 17:47]

He’s currently on Limbaugh’s radio show

US election megathread on 17:59 - Oct 9 with 1158 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 17:56 - Oct 9 by ElderGrizzly

He’s currently on Limbaugh’s radio show

And just said this

US election megathread on 18:10 - Oct 9 with 1148 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 17:59 - Oct 9 by ElderGrizzly

And just said this

The people that can bring themselves to listen to this sh!te in order to bring us the highlights are true heroes.

"Stand back and stand by" on 18:30 - Oct 9 with 1133 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/us/gretchen-whitmer-michigan-militia.html
"Stand back and stand by" on 18:59 - Oct 9 with 1118 viewsSpruceMoose

"Stand back and stand by" on 18:30 - Oct 9 by Eireannach_gorm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/us/gretchen-whitmer-michigan-militia.html

Hamsted should take notice of how XR and the 'extremist' Antifa don't go around plotting to kidnap and murder elected officials and commit treason against the US government.

US election megathread on 19:00 - Oct 9 with 1117 viewswkj

Trump is very good.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

US election megathread on 19:07 - Oct 9 with 1114 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 19:00 - Oct 9 by wkj

Trump is very good.

Nice avatar wkj. It's the Honey Monster innit?
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 19:07]

US election megathread on 19:11 - Oct 9 with 1106 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

US election megathread on 19:07 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

the honey monsters thin cousin.
US election megathread on 19:11 - Oct 9 with 1105 viewswkj

US election megathread on 19:07 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

I'm surprised you'd be able to get your head to wraparound that having been an expat for so long.

Crybaby

US election megathread on 19:14 - Oct 9 with 1102 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 19:11 - Oct 9 by wkj

I'm surprised you'd be able to get your head to wraparound that having been an expat for so long.

Thought it looked a bit like a sporty Jeremy Corbyn when I was browsing on my phone.

US election megathread on 19:16 - Oct 9 with 1101 viewswkj

US election megathread on 19:14 - Oct 9 by SpruceMoose

Thought it looked a bit like a sporty Jeremy Corbyn when I was browsing on my phone.

We're not allowed to mention real politicians here spruce, do it again and I won't allow you to get a foot in edgeways sunshine.

Crybaby

US election megathread on 19:30 - Oct 9 with 1088 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

US election megathread on 19:16 - Oct 9 by wkj

We're not allowed to mention real politicians here spruce, do it again and I won't allow you to get a foot in edgeways sunshine.

Corbyn wasn't a real politician, so it's fine to mention him.
US election megathread on 19:35 - Oct 9 with 1080 viewswkj

US election megathread on 19:30 - Oct 9 by IpswichBoyBlue

Corbyn wasn't a real politician, so it's fine to mention him.

Good point... He was THE real politician.

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024