Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US election megathread 03:24 - Sep 23 with 138248 viewsSpruceMoose

Seeing as we are approaching the presidential debates, and with the actual election being only 42 days away, maybe we could keep this as a US election megathread for those on here who are interested? One location for all the discussion would prevent multiple threads clogging up the board for those who don't care to get involved?

Personally, the reality of having to experience this election in the near future is stressful AF so if anyone else wants to get stressed together... Jump on board.

Now, insert all the usual caveats about polling here but...it's looking positive that we will be rid of Trump come 2021, much to the disappointment of a couple of posters on here. 538 are well respected in the field of poll analysis so what they announce should be taken seriously.

Of course their analysis doesn't take account of any election fraud, Russian interference, voter suppression etc. But it's positive news none the less. Once Trump is gone, we can work on Johnson. Decent people of the world... Unite!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 3:32]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

US election megathread on 13:02 - Oct 14 with 1617 viewsflimflam

US election megathread on 21:58 - Oct 13 by SpruceMoose

Yup. And while that poll is a bit of an outlier, A+ rated polls consistently have Biden up by 10, 11, 12 points.

And as posters in this thread keep repeating, the closer we get to election day the wider the polls are getting. They aren't tightening at all. Pollsters have also incorporated lessons learnt from 2016 polling into their 2020 polling models, there has been far more polling in certain states like Ohio than there was in 2016, and all of the polls actually include an assumed bump towards Trump as the incumbent.

I'd also like to add, if the Republicans had serious polling that showed something to the contrary, do we really think Trump wouldn't be crowing about it and releasing it? I suspect their internal polls are showing that it's even worse than we realise.

*Insert FlimFlam saying "see you on November 4th"/2016 polls were wrong/But her emails" here
[Post edited 13 Oct 2020 22:04]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

US election megathread on 13:11 - Oct 14 with 1593 viewsHARRY10

US election megathread on 05:12 - Oct 14 by Oldsmoker

I've been watching YouTube vids of CNN, MSNBC, NBC etc. which show these polls and I'm surprised out how they rely on small sample numbers.
You have to pause the vid to see the numbers but they're clearly shown.
Sometimes it's about 500 with a +/- of 5%.
In the UK, it's at least 1000 and sometimes 5000 and we get it wrong a lot of the time.
That said, I agree with your earlier post that Trump would be bragging about his poll numbers if they were close to favourable and he's not.

We don't get it wrong - any time, as polls are merely a reflection of the answers given at any one particular time,

NOT any prediction

However what we have seen in the US is pretty much ALL polls showing a pretty consistent move any from Trump to Biden. Something that would suggest that Biden will win.
US election megathread on 13:48 - Oct 14 with 1568 viewstractordownsouth

US election megathread on 13:02 - Oct 14 by flimflam

Why are you so convinced of a Trump win? Give me some solid reasons that go beyond "But everyone thought he'd lose in 2016"

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

US election megathread on 13:52 - Oct 14 with 1565 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 13:48 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

Why are you so convinced of a Trump win? Give me some solid reasons that go beyond "But everyone thought he'd lose in 2016"

I think his US based family are Trump fans, going by what's been said previously, so I'd guess he extrapolating from that.

I know several Trump cultists who are 100% convinced that the polls are a trick being played by Trump to own the libs, and that he's actually massively in the lead and will win in a landslide next month. All you can do is say 'maybe, we will find out soon'.

I'm interested to see what they do and say should that not happen. I say interested, I'm also rather worried considering the Trump driven domestic terrorism incidents of the last few weeks.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

US election megathread on 13:56 - Oct 14 with 1558 viewstractordownsouth

US election megathread on 13:52 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

I think his US based family are Trump fans, going by what's been said previously, so I'd guess he extrapolating from that.

I know several Trump cultists who are 100% convinced that the polls are a trick being played by Trump to own the libs, and that he's actually massively in the lead and will win in a landslide next month. All you can do is say 'maybe, we will find out soon'.

I'm interested to see what they do and say should that not happen. I say interested, I'm also rather worried considering the Trump driven domestic terrorism incidents of the last few weeks.

I've seen several of them saying NY and California are going red. Bless them...

I've nearly finished writing an article about why 2020 is different to 2016. It's mostly an extension of the bullet points I wrote a few pages ago, but I'll post on here when it's done.

US election megathread on 14:02 - Oct 14 with 1554 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 13:56 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

I've seen several of them saying NY and California are going red. Bless them...

I've nearly finished writing an article about why 2020 is different to 2016. It's mostly an extension of the bullet points I wrote a few pages ago, but I'll post on here when it's done.

Should be a good read, cheers.

I think many people have just become so divorced from reality at this point that when the results come in, all hell will break loose. These Trump cultists are ride or die.

"Trevor is 41 and dying of liver disease. He lives in a low-income housing facility and he doesn’t have health insurance.

“Had Trevor lived a simple thirty-nine minute drive away in neighboring Kentucky, he might have topped the list of candidates for expensive medications called polymerase inhibitors, a life-saving liver transplant, or other forms of treatment and support,” Metzl writes. But Tennessee officials repeatedly blocked efforts to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

But Trevor is not mad at the state’s elected officials. “Ain’t no way I would ever support Obamacare or sign up for it,” he tells Metzl. “I would rather die.” When Metzl prods him about why he’d choose death over affordable health care, Trevor’s answer is telling. “We don’t need any more government in our lives. And in any case, no way I want my tax dollars paying for Mexicans or welfare queens.”

https://portside.org/2019-03-13/dying-whiteness

US election megathread on 14:19 - Oct 14 with 1545 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 13:48 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

Trump had the surprise factor in 2016, which he doesn't have this time.

When people thought "how bad can it be?", they have their answer now. Voting for 4 more years of what he has, or has not delivered is just political cultism.
US election megathread on 14:19 - Oct 14 with 1545 viewsblueislander

US election megathread on 14:02 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

Should be a good read, cheers.

I think many people have just become so divorced from reality at this point that when the results come in, all hell will break loose. These Trump cultists are ride or die.

"Trevor is 41 and dying of liver disease. He lives in a low-income housing facility and he doesn’t have health insurance.

“Had Trevor lived a simple thirty-nine minute drive away in neighboring Kentucky, he might have topped the list of candidates for expensive medications called polymerase inhibitors, a life-saving liver transplant, or other forms of treatment and support,” Metzl writes. But Tennessee officials repeatedly blocked efforts to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

But Trevor is not mad at the state’s elected officials. “Ain’t no way I would ever support Obamacare or sign up for it,” he tells Metzl. “I would rather die.” When Metzl prods him about why he’d choose death over affordable health care, Trevor’s answer is telling. “We don’t need any more government in our lives. And in any case, no way I want my tax dollars paying for Mexicans or welfare queens.”

https://portside.org/2019-03-13/dying-whiteness

His “tax dollars”? What about Trump’s ?
Login to get fewer ads

US election megathread on 14:21 - Oct 14 with 1542 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 14:19 - Oct 14 by blueislander

His “tax dollars”? What about Trump’s ?

Oh he's smart for avoiding paying his share of course.

US election megathread on 15:06 - Oct 14 with 1514 viewsflimflam

US election megathread on 13:52 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

Not Trump fans but Republicans by and large.

Like I said before a lot will vote for the party in spite of Trump and its another debate if thats right or wrong.

One thing is for sure they are all adamant that Florida will be Red. Maybe its the area they live in and not the wider story but guess time will tell.

I read an article somewhere where the poll asked the question "what do you believe your neighbor will vote" which actually put Trump marginally behind.

Whichever way the public vote goes it will not be a landslide either way and a lot closer than the polls are predicting.

There are about 10% undecided voters last time I checked although that may have changed. How is anyone undecided at this point? Are they undecided or not willing to say? If the latter then I would guess which way that would indicate.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

US election megathread on 15:16 - Oct 14 with 1509 viewstractordownsouth

This does worry me a bit, especially as Michigan seems to be the easiest pick up for Biden. Maybe it's a case of different demographics voting early.

US election megathread on 15:18 - Oct 14 with 1504 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:06 - Oct 14 by flimflam

Not Trump fans but Republicans by and large.

Like I said before a lot will vote for the party in spite of Trump and its another debate if thats right or wrong.

One thing is for sure they are all adamant that Florida will be Red. Maybe its the area they live in and not the wider story but guess time will tell.

I read an article somewhere where the poll asked the question "what do you believe your neighbor will vote" which actually put Trump marginally behind.

Whichever way the public vote goes it will not be a landslide either way and a lot closer than the polls are predicting.

There are about 10% undecided voters last time I checked although that may have changed. How is anyone undecided at this point? Are they undecided or not willing to say? If the latter then I would guess which way that would indicate.

I don't believe there are many truly undecided voters as in 'should I vote for Biden or should I vote for Trump?'. They're just too different.

I think undecided means 'should I vote for Trump or not vote at all? or 'should I vote for Biden or not at all?'

When it comes down to it I think the progressive left are more likely to suck it up and vote for Biden because they are pissed off with what is going on in the country right now. they've seen what ambivalence brings. 215,000 dead and rising.

And Florida may well be go red. But Trump would need to repeat that everywhere, in the process getting better results that he did in 2016. That's why he won't win imo.

US election megathread on 15:19 - Oct 14 with 1505 viewsHARRY10

The polls do not predict - they reflect the views of a small number of people at any one time. Those views have steadily moved from being a 60 or so win for Biden to a now 120 seat win, were those polls to be the actual vote.

They are not one or two polls either, but every poll that has been taken in the past 6 weeks or so.

My personal thought is that many will be surprised by how many seats Biden takes .... as if the current movement in the polls continues and is reflected in the final vote Trump will be steam rolled - with senate being lost as well.

They are showing that Trump is not holding his own states, but seeing them move to a narrow Biden lead., These are not states Biden needs to win - but Trump does, to avoid being humiliated.
US election megathread on 15:25 - Oct 14 with 1499 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:16 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

This does worry me a bit, especially as Michigan seems to be the easiest pick up for Biden. Maybe it's a case of different demographics voting early.

I believe this here is an issue with the analysis. Modelling like this was what played a part in 2016 polls going awry. I genuinely don't think you can use historic voters behaviour as reliably in this election because there has never been a President like Trump before.

Besides, there hasn't been a poll that has put Trump in the lead of Michigan since Sept 24th, and that was +1 by a C rated pollster. And Michigan has seen a lot of polling. Prior to that the last poll that gave Trump the lead was in July, by from by a B/C pollster. I think Michigan will be close, but I think it will be Biden's if people go out and vote.

538 are forecasting 91% chance of a Biden win in MI. Obviously 9% chance events happen all the time, but there's no need to panic.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 15:26]

US election megathread on 15:41 - Oct 14 with 1481 viewsMookamoo

US election megathread on 15:25 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

I believe this here is an issue with the analysis. Modelling like this was what played a part in 2016 polls going awry. I genuinely don't think you can use historic voters behaviour as reliably in this election because there has never been a President like Trump before.

Besides, there hasn't been a poll that has put Trump in the lead of Michigan since Sept 24th, and that was +1 by a C rated pollster. And Michigan has seen a lot of polling. Prior to that the last poll that gave Trump the lead was in July, by from by a B/C pollster. I think Michigan will be close, but I think it will be Biden's if people go out and vote.

538 are forecasting 91% chance of a Biden win in MI. Obviously 9% chance events happen all the time, but there's no need to panic.

Good friend of mine lives in Michigan and has just got his citizenship. I'll hold him personally responsible.

He does however work in the car trade and he thinks all those that voted Trump will do so again. Very few will who voted for him will abstain this time round. What is different this time is there is no Hilary who his Democratic friends couldn't face voting for. What will swing Michigan will be a positive turn out for the dynamic charismatic young Biden...
US election megathread on 15:50 - Oct 14 with 1474 viewsHARRY10

What is being missed, is that Biden can lose Michigan as it stands and still win

However the polls suggest that he will win

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds
US election megathread on 16:01 - Oct 14 with 1459 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:41 - Oct 14 by Mookamoo

Good friend of mine lives in Michigan and has just got his citizenship. I'll hold him personally responsible.

He does however work in the car trade and he thinks all those that voted Trump will do so again. Very few will who voted for him will abstain this time round. What is different this time is there is no Hilary who his Democratic friends couldn't face voting for. What will swing Michigan will be a positive turn out for the dynamic charismatic young Biden...

Oh for sure. People underestimate just how unpopular Clinton was with many Democrats in 2016. She was so unpopular that they were willing to risk not voting and ending up with Trump as President, telling themselves that he wasn't so bad, maybe he'd shake things up for the better and, as a bit of an unknown quantity (apparently), things might turn out ok.

Well, that hope has been utterly blown out of the water during these last four years.

This time round Biden is far, far more popular than Clinton ever was or will ever be, and Democrats know exactly what they are getting if they don't vote for him. The Democrat vote seems incredibly motivated to vote this time round, and while not everyone is voting for Biden, everyone is voting against Trump.

I'm expecting Trump to roughly retain his voters from 2016 (other than maybe suburban women and older voters) because it's a cult. I am however expecting/hoping for a far larger Democrat turnout than 2016. If Democrats don't come out and vote now, then they never will and they get what they deserve.

US election megathread on 16:02 - Oct 14 with 1458 viewsStokieBlue

US election megathread on 15:25 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

You seen the nuts stuff Trump is retweeting today? If you're going to put out ads implying that Biden should be in a home due to old age and diminished capabilities you probably shouldn't make yourself look like those things apply to you more than the target.

"Donald Trump is under fire for retweeting a bizarre conspiracy theory arguing that al-Qaeda terrorist Osama bin Laden was held captive in Iran by the Barack Obama administration before being moved to Pakistan to be executed as a “trophy kill” to boost the 44th president’s re-election hopes - and that his assassination in 2011 may have been faked with a body double."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

US election megathread on 16:02 - Oct 14 with 1457 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 15:50 - Oct 14 by HARRY10

What is being missed, is that Biden can lose Michigan as it stands and still win

However the polls suggest that he will win

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds

Hospital beds?

US election megathread on 16:06 - Oct 14 with 1452 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 16:02 - Oct 14 by StokieBlue

You seen the nuts stuff Trump is retweeting today? If you're going to put out ads implying that Biden should be in a home due to old age and diminished capabilities you probably shouldn't make yourself look like those things apply to you more than the target.

"Donald Trump is under fire for retweeting a bizarre conspiracy theory arguing that al-Qaeda terrorist Osama bin Laden was held captive in Iran by the Barack Obama administration before being moved to Pakistan to be executed as a “trophy kill” to boost the 44th president’s re-election hopes - and that his assassination in 2011 may have been faked with a body double."

SB

Another day another utterly bizarre nightmare.

I have family in the Midwest who have now taken down their Biden lawn signs and removed the Biden/Harris stickers from their cars because they are too scared of what their Trump supporting neighbours might do to them. Actually do to them, not the signs and stickers. They feel physically threatened.

I think Trump knows he's toast. He's salting the earth. Expect to see more domestic terror incidents potted and carried out in his name against anyone remotely on the left during 2021.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 16:07]

US election megathread on 16:45 - Oct 14 with 1421 viewstractordownsouth

Also, Sprucers would you be able to run me through the Hunter Biden stuff that's come out today? I'm a bit confused by it all - the only people who are tweeting about it seem to be the likes of Trump Jr, Giuliani and Ben Shapiro. The most objective source on the matter that I could find was the Daily Mail!

The pictures of his son allegedly smoking crack I don't think should reflect upon Biden himself (I say the same for Johnson not being accountable for Stanley's actions), but I don't understand the supposed business links. It's hard to follow.

US election megathread on 16:51 - Oct 14 with 1415 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 16:01 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

Oh for sure. People underestimate just how unpopular Clinton was with many Democrats in 2016. She was so unpopular that they were willing to risk not voting and ending up with Trump as President, telling themselves that he wasn't so bad, maybe he'd shake things up for the better and, as a bit of an unknown quantity (apparently), things might turn out ok.

Well, that hope has been utterly blown out of the water during these last four years.

This time round Biden is far, far more popular than Clinton ever was or will ever be, and Democrats know exactly what they are getting if they don't vote for him. The Democrat vote seems incredibly motivated to vote this time round, and while not everyone is voting for Biden, everyone is voting against Trump.

I'm expecting Trump to roughly retain his voters from 2016 (other than maybe suburban women and older voters) because it's a cult. I am however expecting/hoping for a far larger Democrat turnout than 2016. If Democrats don't come out and vote now, then they never will and they get what they deserve.

Ah the good ol' days of segregation...

US election megathread on 16:53 - Oct 14 with 1411 viewsSpruceMoose

US election megathread on 16:45 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

Also, Sprucers would you be able to run me through the Hunter Biden stuff that's come out today? I'm a bit confused by it all - the only people who are tweeting about it seem to be the likes of Trump Jr, Giuliani and Ben Shapiro. The most objective source on the matter that I could find was the Daily Mail!

The pictures of his son allegedly smoking crack I don't think should reflect upon Biden himself (I say the same for Johnson not being accountable for Stanley's actions), but I don't understand the supposed business links. It's hard to follow.

I wouldn't pay any attention to whatever those clowns come out with. Everything they produce turns to dust in their hands in a couple of days. They're also playing a very dangerous game if they want to get into the minute details of the family members of politicians.

A quick Google turns this up:

"But the story is even thinner than that -- the email the Post cites does not actually show that Hunter Biden “introduced” Joe Biden to the Burisma executive. In the email, Vadym Pozharskyi, described by the Post as “an adviser to the board of Burisma,” thanks Hunter Biden for “giving an opportunity to meet your father.” If the email is genuine, that comment “may just as easily have meant Hunter promised a meeting in the future that may never have occurred,” and the Post does not appear to have produced any other reporting indicating such a meeting took place.

The bizarre provenance of the emails cited in the Post article should also give journalists pause -- it involves the unnamed “shop owner” of a Delaware computer repair store who claims that someone brought a “water-damaged MacBook Pro” into the shop in April 2019, never came to pick it up, and ignored all entreaties to come get it. (It is unclear from the article whether the Post spoke directly to the “shop owner” or learned this secondhand from, say, Giuliani.).

The “shop owner” supposedly “couldn’t positively identify the customer as Hunter Biden” but the story also includes what appears to be a photo of a receipt for the work made out to Hunter Biden. The “shop owner” claims to have reviewed the laptop’s contents, copied them (possibly illegally), alerted the FBI and gave them the laptop, and provided the copy to a Giuliani associate. "

Smells like BS to me and is of absolutely no consequence. Just the latest in a long line of desperate Hail Marys. It's a rehashing of 2016s 'But her emails', except people don't care or know who Hunter Biden or Burisma is anyway.

[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 16:56]

US election megathread on 17:01 - Oct 14 with 1397 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 16:45 - Oct 14 by tractordownsouth

This sort of covers it

There is a lot of evidence that the emails being referred to are fake or manipulated.

But interesting the Trump campaign appears to be trying to go after Biden for nepotism...
US election megathread on 17:04 - Oct 14 with 1393 viewsElderGrizzly

US election megathread on 16:53 - Oct 14 by SpruceMoose

I wouldn't pay any attention to whatever those clowns come out with. Everything they produce turns to dust in their hands in a couple of days. They're also playing a very dangerous game if they want to get into the minute details of the family members of politicians.

A quick Google turns this up:

"But the story is even thinner than that -- the email the Post cites does not actually show that Hunter Biden “introduced” Joe Biden to the Burisma executive. In the email, Vadym Pozharskyi, described by the Post as “an adviser to the board of Burisma,” thanks Hunter Biden for “giving an opportunity to meet your father.” If the email is genuine, that comment “may just as easily have meant Hunter promised a meeting in the future that may never have occurred,” and the Post does not appear to have produced any other reporting indicating such a meeting took place.

The bizarre provenance of the emails cited in the Post article should also give journalists pause -- it involves the unnamed “shop owner” of a Delaware computer repair store who claims that someone brought a “water-damaged MacBook Pro” into the shop in April 2019, never came to pick it up, and ignored all entreaties to come get it. (It is unclear from the article whether the Post spoke directly to the “shop owner” or learned this secondhand from, say, Giuliani.).

The “shop owner” supposedly “couldn’t positively identify the customer as Hunter Biden” but the story also includes what appears to be a photo of a receipt for the work made out to Hunter Biden. The “shop owner” claims to have reviewed the laptop’s contents, copied them (possibly illegally), alerted the FBI and gave them the laptop, and provided the copy to a Giuliani associate. "

Smells like BS to me and is of absolutely no consequence. Just the latest in a long line of desperate Hail Marys. It's a rehashing of 2016s 'But her emails', except people don't care or know who Hunter Biden or Burisma is anyway.

[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 16:56]

Yeah, this is rather tenuous

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024