Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich foodbank fundraiser 06:18 - Sep 23 with 3057 viewsbluelagos

Promised a proper write up so here goes :-)

https://localgiving.org/fundraising/Nick-cycling-LEJOG-FIND/

https://www.findipswich.org.uk/

The cause we are fundraising for is the Ipswich based foodbank. All donations appreciated and going to the foodbank, not funding my trip! These guys are very much in need of help so please dont be shy if you are able to. (Appreciate many people are struggling at the moment)

The trip itself was 17 days riding. The total milage was around 1200 and we climbed close to 90k feet. That is well over 300 miles more than the direct route (876 on the sign) as we went via Wales' highest road, the pennines and the Lake District. We also Island hopped up the Scottish west coast riding briefly on Mull, Skye and Arran before crossing from Ullapool to do a coast to coast day ride on the penultimate day.

Shortest days ended up as 60 and my longest was recorded as 87 miles, most are now on Strava so the cycling nerds can check out the details.

I managed 2 low speed clipon falls and 1 puncture. George had 4 punctures and 2 clip on falls, sadly the second had him hitting his hip on a curb and he ended up visiting A&E and is now hobbling and cursing his bad luck.

Weatherwise we got lucky, first day we rode in light rain for 5 mins but it soon cleared and we didn't get a raindrop until the last day. Yesterday we took a bashing around midday which drenched us but still able to ride, even with the winds and lorries flying down the A9.

Few observations.

Our roads and cycle paths are shocking. I know much maintenance was stopped during lockdown but much of cycling network seems to be on gravel strewn and pot holed roads that would be treacherous in the wet. Some serious invesstment is needed as a few blue signposts doesnt cut it. Wales' roads were particularly badly maintained, Scotland's far better. The Scots were more Covid secure too.

Driving standards were generally very good. In 17 days I think I only gave 3 people a mouthful, 2 campervans and a caravan on tow on the NC500. Have read previously about how unpopular these tourers are and can see the exact issue now. They don't help the b&bs or rsstuarants often bringing their own food. All they do is clog up the roads. The locals are getting fed up with them and I can see why tbh.

On a personal level, fair to say I've done alright, lockdown offered the perfect opportunity to use safe traffic free lanes to build my bike fitness and I have learned a lot about touring. But I was regularly beaten up hills and in sprints (for the hotels) by 60 and 70 year olds. One 70 year old made it up Applecross, I didnt even consider it such was the state of my ar5e. But given that in February I was struggling to do 26 miles and my first cycled marathon took 2 hours 35 mins, I guess I have done ok.

Anyhow for those inspired I'd encourage you to get on your bike. It is great for your health (physical and mental) and of course an environmentally friendly mode of transport. And one day you will find you can do 20 milers which soon become 25. Small steps and who knows where it ends :-)

Apologies for the essay, thanks for the encouragement and the donations. And any more very welcome :-)

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 07:17 - Sep 23 with 3006 viewsDanTheMan

Congratulations on the ride, I think I would probably have managed about 1% of what you did given my current fitness levels.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 07:41 - Sep 23 with 2993 viewsPlums

Sounds a great experience (@rse and sh1t roads aside). Thanks for sharing it and well done for all the fundraising.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 08:16 - Sep 23 with 2975 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Posted at 6:18 ..... you didn't drink enough last night!
Good work BL.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 08:38 - Sep 23 with 2958 viewsbluelagos

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 08:16 - Sep 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Posted at 6:18 ..... you didn't drink enough last night!
Good work BL.

Last one in the hotel bar! Inverness on a Tuesday evening when the PM just announced pubs to close early was never going to be rocking.

And seeing off a bunch of OAPs in the drinking stakes was just about my only clear victory all trip.

I did get a stage win in arriving in Arran with a Cavendishesque finish when a couple of the oldies stopped for some mints :-)

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 08:50 - Sep 23 with 2951 viewsSteve_M

Well done, that's a tremendous achievement. Those aches must all feel worthwhile now.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 12:45 - Sep 23 with 2913 viewsNewcyBlue

You’re a hero mate.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 13:09 - Sep 23 with 2895 viewsCrawfordsboot

Bravo BL
Postlberger retired from the TDF when he got a bee sting in his mouth. Clearly you are made of sterner stuff.
Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 18:22 - Sep 23 with 2871 viewsbluelagos

Big thanks to everyone who chipped in today and previously. Hit the £2k target today :-)

Thx all, and for the encouragement and tips from the Twtd cycling massive.

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 23:21 - Sep 23 with 2835 viewsOldsmoker

Congratulations and well done. Top man.
Extremely grateful that you've done it so I don't have to.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 07:33 - Sep 24 with 2779 viewsfabian_illness

As mentioned above, you’re a hero for taking on the challenge.
Well done 👍
Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 09:15 - Sep 24 with 2759 viewsbluelagos

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 12:45 - Sep 23 by NewcyBlue

You’re a hero mate.

Behave. I did it with a support van carrying my gear to nice hotels and the sun was out for most of it. They even gave us coffee and cakes after 20 miles each day!

Kudos to those who do it self supported, much much harder...

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 09:18 - Sep 24 with 2757 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice one BL.

Right, what's next? America coast to coast? Cross Europe. Round the world?.......

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 09:37 - Sep 24 with 2745 viewsbluelagos

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 09:18 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

Nice one BL.

Right, what's next? America coast to coast? Cross Europe. Round the world?.......

Newcy asked me the same.

I did mention have been thinking about the Appalachian trail lol

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 12:12 - Sep 24 with 2706 viewsRyorry

Lagos, you're the dog's bollox

Very well done indeed. I'll miss your nightly round-ups, so get on that Appalachian trail asap please!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 13:25 - Sep 24 with 2690 viewsbluelagos

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 12:12 - Sep 24 by Ryorry

Lagos, you're the dog's bollox

Very well done indeed. I'll miss your nightly round-ups, so get on that Appalachian trail asap please!

It's over 2000 miles and most of it is bush, so not going to be recharging the phone every night!

Tempted but will have to wait as you can't even get into America atm...

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 16:08 - Sep 24 with 2646 viewsjeera

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 13:25 - Sep 24 by bluelagos

It's over 2000 miles and most of it is bush, so not going to be recharging the phone every night!

Ooh, how about following the Ghan?

There was a programme on the other night (repeat) which was 3 hours of watching the Ghan on its journey North.

It was weirdly captivating to watch the tracks come and go with no narration.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 18:36 - Sep 24 with 2626 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 13:25 - Sep 24 by bluelagos

Getting the excuses in already. I did try telling them you were a lazy so and so...

Ipswich foodbank fundeaiser on 17:02 - Sep 25 with 2477 viewsSwansea_Blue

Woop, woop, target met

Ipswich foodbank fundraiser on 17:21 - Oct 8 with 2119 viewsbluelagos

Last call.

Donations finish tomorrow - just in case anyone missed out and wants to chip in.

Cheers all who have donated, raised 2.5k with the gift aid. :-)

Ipswich foodbank fundraiser on 19:20 - Oct 8 with 2099 viewsjeera

Ipswich foodbank fundraiser on 17:21 - Oct 8 by bluelagos

Last call.

Donations finish tomorrow - just in case anyone missed out and wants to chip in.

Cheers all who have donated, raised 2.5k with the gift aid. :-)

Good going, well done.

I did chuck in the first time around.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024