Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? 13:13 - Sep 23 with 3296 viewsghostofescobar

Most clubs lose huge amounts even with crowds, but with no/little fan derived income, what happens? I can't see how a large number of clubs won't go to the wall. Surely this brings into play a "big" club or clubs going out of business? Or am I missing something? I'm not sure why there hasn't been more noise around this issue. Also, makes the salary cap seem a good idea now!

GhostOfEscobar

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:26 - Sep 23 with 1911 viewsBloomBlue

Lots of businesses going out of business because of COVID19 and yes that is bound to include some football clubs, it's really down to whether the owners want to keep funding them until we come out the other side of COVID19
How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:34 - Sep 23 with 1880 viewsfactual_blue

Spoiler Alert - they won't.

Polo, Rugger, Horse Racing, Fox Hunting and Eton Fives will all be saved.

I'm sure you can work out why.....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? (n/t) on 13:36 - Sep 23 with 1864 viewsBlueBadger

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:26 - Sep 23 by BloomBlue

Lots of businesses going out of business because of COVID19 and yes that is bound to include some football clubs, it's really down to whether the owners want to keep funding them until we come out the other side of COVID19

[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 13:41]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:41 - Sep 23 with 1850 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I wonder what will happen to our division. It didn’t finish last season because the majority of clubs said that they couldn’t afford to carry on playing.

PPG anyone....

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:41 - Sep 23 with 1845 viewsBlueBadger

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:34 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

Spoiler Alert - they won't.

Polo, Rugger, Horse Racing, Fox Hunting and Eton Fives will all be saved.

I'm sure you can work out why.....

Is it because the government are corrupt, incompetent self-interested sociopathic See You Next Tuesdays?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:51 - Sep 23 with 1823 viewshomer_123

As I have posted before.

We are moving towards a point where we, not just football, may have to adapt. Things may never be the same, or even in some instance remotely similar, again and we may have to accept that.

Just taking football as an example. Even allowing 1,000 fans back into grounds, this actually makes their income worse in many situations. By that I mean, 1,000 fans aren't paying at the door as they are likely season ticket holders, so, costs to accommodate them go up significantly without additional income (and this is just the short term).

Many Rugby clubs are geared towards having at least 10,000 fans in each match to break even.

So, the current model of football won't work - it's going to have to change in all likelihood. Clubs and fans are going to have to approach it differently, wages and costs are going to have to come down significantly until new revenue streams are devised for clubs.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:03 - Sep 23 with 1776 viewsSteve_M

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:51 - Sep 23 by homer_123

As I have posted before.

We are moving towards a point where we, not just football, may have to adapt. Things may never be the same, or even in some instance remotely similar, again and we may have to accept that.

Just taking football as an example. Even allowing 1,000 fans back into grounds, this actually makes their income worse in many situations. By that I mean, 1,000 fans aren't paying at the door as they are likely season ticket holders, so, costs to accommodate them go up significantly without additional income (and this is just the short term).

Many Rugby clubs are geared towards having at least 10,000 fans in each match to break even.

So, the current model of football won't work - it's going to have to change in all likelihood. Clubs and fans are going to have to approach it differently, wages and costs are going to have to come down significantly until new revenue streams are devised for clubs.

Well, quite:

Eventhe Premier doesn't look good but they could also cut spending ( ).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:07 - Sep 23 with 1768 viewsSharkey

I realise not everyone is going to be interested in this, but the Colchester chairman's statement this week may interest some, with its detailed break-down of what happens to streaming revenues. (In short, Bolton made a lot more money than Colchester on Colchester's recent home game, for the good reason that Bolton have a much bigger fan base. )

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/?fbclid=IwAR0ThxOqL9bv4
Login to get fewer ads

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:27 - Sep 23 with 1714 viewstextbackup

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:51 - Sep 23 by homer_123

As I have posted before.

You’re dead right about having to adapt. I went in town Saturday night, first time since the end of feb... and it’s not for me anymore if this is how we move forward.
The local, smaller pubs we great... but the bigger in town pubs just naff

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:30 - Sep 23 with 1705 viewsbrazil1982

I really do fear for the future of smaller clubs, or ones without a Board willing to prop them up. I don't know what the answer is - govt backed loans? Unless we get fans paying "on the gate" back, clubs are surely destined to fall.

How are they surviving now?
How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:32 - Sep 23 with 1697 viewsBlueBadger

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:27 - Sep 23 by textbackup

You’re dead right about having to adapt. I went in town Saturday night, first time since the end of feb... and it’s not for me anymore if this is how we move forward.
The local, smaller pubs we great... but the bigger in town pubs just naff

I've got to say, I won't mourn the passing of huge 'barn' pubs.

Doubly so, if they're Brexit Tim's.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 14:50]

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:35 - Sep 23 with 1690 viewsMetal_Hacker

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:30 - Sep 23 by brazil1982

I really do fear for the future of smaller clubs, or ones without a Board willing to prop them up. I don't know what the answer is - govt backed loans? Unless we get fans paying "on the gate" back, clubs are surely destined to fall.

How are they surviving now?

I think for the most they'll be supported by the banks and not paying Government monies like their income tax maybe BUT that can only last for so long before the bubbles bursts

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time . Really can't see the Government helping out. They've done very little to assist local music venues which is my other favorite past-time so why should a sport that isn't classed as elitist

Really have no answer other than seeing clubs going bang , amalgamating , ground sharing etc

Poll: If it were one or the other

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:44 - Sep 23 with 1634 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Players need to take a pay cut for a start.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:46 - Sep 23 with 1626 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

As I have posted before.

Player wages is the major cost, and is going to have to be addressed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:55 - Sep 23 with 1605 viewsMetal_Hacker

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:46 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

We both know that's never going to happen

As soon as clubs suggest this the PFA will step in quoting" restriction of earnings " and more such rubbish. We all know that's the fundamental issue in this sport but it really won't happen

The only way money can be saved from a players point of view is have smaller squads

I just can't see the greedy being less greedy

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:00 - Sep 23 with 1587 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:55 - Sep 23 by Metal_Hacker

We both know that's never going to happen

As soon as clubs suggest this the PFA will step in quoting" restriction of earnings " and more such rubbish. We all know that's the fundamental issue in this sport but it really won't happen

The only way money can be saved from a players point of view is have smaller squads

I just can't see the greedy being less greedy

That will be the case for the Premier League (they pulled a stunt with the PFA in the spring as you mention), but the longer this goes on, the more realistic the players will need to become in the EFL.

If players don't sacrifice to save their clubs / jobs, why should owners / fans / government.

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:02 - Sep 23 with 1584 viewshadleighboyblue

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 13:41 - Sep 23 by southnorfolkblue

I wonder what will happen to our division. It didn’t finish last season because the majority of clubs said that they couldn’t afford to carry on playing.

PPG anyone....

The Premier clubs will still have income from televised games here and abroad , it's the clubs further down the leagues that will suffer most .....and the Premier clubs don't seem to want to help them .

As far as I know we can still go to watch non professional local football at a social distance , so that's where I'll be heading for my live football .

If the government do help clubs , I hope they start at the lower leagues and not at the top
How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:03 - Sep 23 with 1581 viewsMetal_Hacker

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:00 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

That will be the case for the Premier League (they pulled a stunt with the PFA in the spring as you mention), but the longer this goes on, the more realistic the players will need to become in the EFL.

If players don't sacrifice to save their clubs / jobs, why should owners / fans / government.

I struggle to argue with your last comment BUT unlike you and I, they probably wouldn't have to work another day if their lives if it all came crumbling down tomorrow

Really sad state of affairs either way and it's far from going to be easy

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:06 - Sep 23 with 1561 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:03 - Sep 23 by Metal_Hacker

I struggle to argue with your last comment BUT unlike you and I, they probably wouldn't have to work another day if their lives if it all came crumbling down tomorrow

Really sad state of affairs either way and it's far from going to be easy

Thats the case for the Prem and increasingly the Championship.

But L1 and L2 players will generally need a career after football.

I do think that the salary cap is looking an increasingly wise decision for L1 and L2.

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:08 - Sep 23 with 1561 viewstractorboy1978

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 14:46 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's pissing in the wind though really for half of this division and lower down the pyramid. We are fortunate to have a wealthy backer and the ability to generate decent commercial revenues. A lot of clubs are almost solely reliant on match day income and operating at a bare minimum cost base as it is. If you are already only paying players £1k a week there isn't an awful lot of fat that can be trimmed off that if you want to run an even semi-competitive team.
How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:10 - Sep 23 with 1556 viewsMetal_Hacker

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:06 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thats the case for the Prem and increasingly the Championship.

But L1 and L2 players will generally need a career after football.

I do think that the salary cap is looking an increasingly wise decision for L1 and L2.

Fro sure , I think L1 and L2 have unsuspectingly with the pandemic in mind , stolen a march with the salary cap. Can't say I was massively in favour as a Town fan thinking it might aid us slightly not having the cap but looking at the bigger picture , it's pretty pointless having little old ITFC safe and sound with no-one to play

I only hope this mess is resolved without it being too detrimental to too many people within the sport and I don't just mean players

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:11 - Sep 23 with 1550 viewsitfcjoe

There's nowhere really for them to go in the bottom 2 tiers for those that are likely to struggle the most - i.e. those without a rich owner.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:58 - Sep 23 with 1444 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:11 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

There's nowhere really for them to go in the bottom 2 tiers for those that are likely to struggle the most - i.e. those without a rich owner.

Now the salary cap is agreed (thankfully) you are probably right.

Although even that allows c.£100k per year on average, and there is plenty of downwards movement available there if a clubs survival relied on it.

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:59 - Sep 23 with 1444 viewshype313

They're not.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 16:02 - Sep 23 with 1430 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How on earth are most clubs below the Prem going to survive? on 15:59 - Sep 23 by hype313

They're not.

L1 and L2 clubs are probably better placed than most Championship clubs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024