Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks 14:40 - Sep 23 with 2753 viewsBrixtonBlue

The sort hikers have rather than old people who can't walk very well. Saw loads of them in the Lake District and the people with them look pretty sprightly, with the sticks not seemingly supporting them at all (barely touching the ground from what I can see). They're not cheap either.

Are they like a fashion accessory that says "I'm a proper hiker" or do they actually serve a practical purpose?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:42 - Sep 23 with 1510 viewsfactual_blue

Are these people with one pole (not stick) or two?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:42 - Sep 23 with 1514 viewsBlueBadger

If you're using them properly, they are very good for additional balance and traction if you're on uneven or hilly ground, but yeah, there is a lot of 'walker posing' associated with them. They're quite often the walker equivalent of fat middle aged blokes squeezing themselves into lycra to go out on their push bikes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:44 - Sep 23 with 1502 viewshoppy

I've got one, and have found it to be useful. Not constantly, necessarily, but during the course of some possibly more arduous walks, with climbs or perilous cliff edges etc, it is helpful for testing the ground, giving a bit of support, providing something to lean on.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:46 - Sep 23 with 1486 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:42 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

Are these people with one pole (not stick) or two?

Most I saw had two. What's the difference between a walking pole and a walking stick?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:46 - Sep 23 with 1493 viewsKeno

My favourite moment with a walking stick as at PR years ago.

We were playing Man U and they had given the bottom tier of the East Stand over to away fans.

Half way through the 2nd half Man U fans started trying to climb up into the top tier only to the faced by a old guy trying golf swings at them with an up turned walking stick

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:49 - Sep 23 with 1472 viewsSaleAway

If used properly, can really help... on a descent can really take the pressure off the knees.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 with 1466 viewshoppy

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:46 - Sep 23 by Keno

We were playing Man U and they had given the bottom tier of the East Stand over to away fans.

Half way through the 2nd half Man U fans started trying to climb up into the top tier only to the faced by a old guy trying golf swings at them with an up turned walking stick

That might be why Factors was asking if these people had one or two sticks...

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 with 1467 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:42 - Sep 23 by BlueBadger

If you're using them properly, they are very good for additional balance and traction if you're on uneven or hilly ground, but yeah, there is a lot of 'walker posing' associated with them. They're quite often the walker equivalent of fat middle aged blokes squeezing themselves into lycra to go out on their push bikes.

Or people who have Land Rovers for ferrying the kids to school. They could go off-road if they had to, but never have yet.

Login to get fewer ads

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 with 1454 viewsfactual_blue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:46 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Most I saw had two. What's the difference between a walking pole and a walking stick?

They might well be Nordic Walkers. They have poles that should be 68% of their height.

The contact with the ground is minimal and as you push on them as though skiing to increase momentum and provide an upper body workout whilst walking.

And its good mindfulness stuff too.

One of my group recommended it to Prince William.

https://www.nordicwalkingeastanglia.co.uk/about/instructors

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:52 - Sep 23 with 1449 viewsfactual_blue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:46 - Sep 23 by Keno

I remember that well.

I was in the North Stand. Somewhere about 1973-74?

We won of course.

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:53 - Sep 23 with 1445 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

They might well be Nordic Walkers. They have poles that should be 68% of their height.

The contact with the ground is minimal and as you push on them as though skiing to increase momentum and provide an upper body workout whilst walking.

And its good mindfulness stuff too.

One of my group recommended it to Prince William.

https://www.nordicwalkingeastanglia.co.uk/about/instructors

Interesting. River's my favourite instructor. Doesn't seem to have many qualifications though.

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:55 - Sep 23 with 1431 viewsBlueBadger

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Or people who have Land Rovers for ferrying the kids to school. They could go off-road if they had to, but never have yet.

Even worse than that:

People wearing band t-shirts when they've.. by BlueBadger 20 Sep 2020 17:57
...clearly never heard a note played by said bands really wind me up.

Only this afternoon, I saw some poser wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt and they couldn't even name ONE song!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:57 - Sep 23 with 1420 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:44 - Sep 23 by hoppy

I've got one, and have found it to be useful. Not constantly, necessarily, but during the course of some possibly more arduous walks, with climbs or perilous cliff edges etc, it is helpful for testing the ground, giving a bit of support, providing something to lean on.

Funny, I say the same about my Mrs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:57 - Sep 23 with 1419 viewsKeno

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:52 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

I remember that well.

I was in the North Stand. Somewhere about 1973-74?

We won of course.

I stood on the North Stand then!!

We could have hugged a few times

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:01 - Sep 23 with 1401 viewshoppy

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:57 - Sep 23 by Keno

I stood on the North Stand then!!

We could have hugged a few times

Or he may have waved his walking stick at you...

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:05 - Sep 23 with 1396 viewsSteve_M

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:42 - Sep 23 by BlueBadger

Much more importantly than that, they reduce the load on the knees considerably. That's particularly the case with a rucksack any bigger than a small day bag. I find the poles offset the additional weight of the rucksack.

They're far more useful than just for posing, I would recommend anyone who did a decent amount of hill walking invest in a pair. Now very expensive waterproof jackets on the other hand.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:10 - Sep 23 with 1379 viewsRyorry

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 14:50 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Round here those landies do actually go off-road regularly, as the kids' parents are farmers, vets, riding school proprieters etc!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:11 - Sep 23 with 1374 viewshoppy

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:10 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

Round here those landies do actually go off-road regularly, as the kids' parents are farmers, vets, riding school proprieters etc!

Not so much the ones seen in Kingston-on-Thames and the like.

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:12 - Sep 23 with 1371 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:10 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

Well I'm sure they do Ry. They don't here, in that there London.

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:19 - Sep 23 with 1356 viewsRyorry

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:11 - Sep 23 by hoppy

Not so much the ones seen in Kingston-on-Thames and the like.

Well you can larf, but when I was a teen and worked at a riding school in Leatherhead (only 10 miles from KoT) one of the best bits of the job was piling in the landie & driving round the bypass into the fields where some of the ponies were kept!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:32 - Sep 23 with 1336 viewsjeera

For poking cows with.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:34 - Sep 23 with 1326 viewsKeno

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:32 - Sep 23 by jeera

For poking cows with.

and euphemism of the day goes to .........

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:36 - Sep 23 with 1318 viewsNewcyBlue

I can understand that though.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:51 - Sep 23 with 1294 viewsTractorWood

I did some fell running in the lakes a couple of weeks ago without poles. My GPS unit is the most important thing.

I think it's down to preference.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 15:52]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Another thing I don't understand - walking sticks on 15:54 - Sep 23 with 1278 viewshype313

I'm sure they have their merits, but when I see people fully dressed top to toe with Patagonia clobber and two sticks walking along Felixstowe Promenade, I do wonder how much extra support one needs.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024