Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? 17:29 - Sep 23 with 4059 viewsBrixtonBlue

I can imagine Ryorry getting ready to unleash hell on me, but this is a genuine question.

Every time I go into shops here in Anerley (near Crystal Palace) I see people not wearing masks. I appreciate there can be health issues you can't see, but I can't believe most of these people can't pop a mask on for a few minutes (particularly in the local co-op rather than a big supermarket, when you're literally in there for a few minutes for milk, bog roll and a bottle of wine for the evening).

5 young lads walked into the local greengrocer before me yesterday, none of them wearing masks and it's quite a narrow shop, so I went further down the road to Tescos. They were in their teens, laughing and joking. I refuse to believe any of them have health issues.

I've seen a bloke panting, wearing jogging gear, and with a big sweat patch on his back go into my local Co-op, without a mask. We're right by Crystal Palace park. No way he has breathing difficulties either.

I even saw a bloke yesterday who spent his whole time in there with a mask under his chin, his mouth and nose completely exposed, while he chatted on the phone.

It's clear to me there's no rule about wearing a mask. Those that do are thoughtful citizens, but it's voluntary. It's an absolute joke and surely part of the reason we're heading for stricter measures, more deaths and probably another proper lockdown.

This might annoy those with genuine conditions, but can we not have a system where they have to go to their doctor to get a lanyard which medically signs them off from wearing a mask? I know it's an inconvenience, but we're in times that are inconvenient for everyone in different ways. And dying is quite inconvenient.

I think it should be law that you wear a mask or a lanyard prescribed by a doctor, or you're refused entry to any public building. Anyone caught breaking the rules is fined... and so is the shop owner.

Moving pub hours back an hour will do sod all IMO. We need to stop pussy-footing about and get tough on the idiots who think it doesn't apply to them or don't care about their fellow citizens. Until we have a vaccine this seems to me to be the best way of stopping the spread and thus deaths.

As an aside, and I'm wary of saying this, but everyone I've mentioned above, bar the jogger, was black. Certainly round here it seems to be black people who are least likely to wear a mask, and yet the BAME community have been shown to be more susceptible than most. I imagine it differs in different areas, but that's what I see here. Could it be they don't like being dictated to by white middle class men (which is what we generally see on the news). Maybe.

But anyway, interested to know what others think and apologies for the rant. Another 6 months of this has perhaps focussed my mind a little. Certainly where I am there appears to be a significant number still not taking this seriously.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:32 - Sep 23 with 2956 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:35 - Sep 23 with 2933 viewsjeera

For one, people like you describe there clearly don't care and so are more likely to catch and spread the thing than those who are more cautious and considerate.

Masks should be compulsory indoors.

Numbers of BAME infections are not 'more susceptible' because of genetics as far as I am aware.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:36 - Sep 23 with 2930 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Three nose operations I’ve had and it’s actually resulted in me still being unable to breathe through my nose (I can a tiny bit). So theoretically the mask Is not good for me. If I wanted to, I’d sort a certificate to say I can’t wear one.

However, the looks I’ve received on the train etc for not wearing one the first time meant it really wasn’t worth the hassle. The amount of people being judgemental means I now just wear one and (when nobody is looking) take deep breaths through my mouth with the mask down every couple of minutes.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:40 - Sep 23 with 2908 viewsRyorry

Why would I do that?

I'm all for people who can wear masks, doing so, as that helps protect me.

I don't have a condition which would warrant an exemption, tho as someone who is a permanent wearer of specs I do find them difficult to wear - I haven't yet found a way to stop my specs steaming up as soon as I put masks on, and I think I've tried all the usual suggestions. That makes me a bit of a hazard wandering around not seeing things properly. But I don't go out often enough to make it a massive issue really.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:41 - Sep 23 with 2897 viewsSwansea_Blue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:35 - Sep 23 by jeera

For one, people like you describe there clearly don't care and so are more likely to catch and spread the thing than those who are more cautious and considerate.

Masks should be compulsory indoors.

Numbers of BAME infections are not 'more susceptible' because of genetics as far as I am aware.

Did you see the piece on Italy today doing the rounds on Twitbob? Masks are a key part of their strategy* and compulsory. I'll see if I can find it again.

*Yes, they have a strategy. Strange concept I know and proves they're not a freedom-loving nation like us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:42 - Sep 23 with 2889 viewsrunaround

Perhaps people get out of breath walking up Anerley Hill?!
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:43 - Sep 23 with 2884 viewsSarge

How are you going to get doctors to sign off on mental illness/anxiety/whatever else though? Sure for some it’ll already be diagnosed and they’ll be prescribed some form of treatment but for others it’s not something that a doctor is going to be able or have the time to write a note for.

Doesn’t sound like any of the people in your examples have any health issues, mental or physical, but for me I’ve been in shops both wearing one and then later on with a badge to make it obvious that I have an exemption and both ways it’s an utterly miserable experience. Shopping ffs! shopping now gives me palpitations and sweats and I spent the entire journey there worrying about nothing. I go in, as infrequently as possible now, spend as little time in there as possible and get the hell out. Sometimes I’ve had to wait outside and had my shopping done for me. I’m 26 and previously mentally stable but now...

I don’t think a medical note is necessary. There are free badges on the govt website to download or in my case I had it made into a pin badge and I think people who aren’t genuinely exempt are unlikely to go to the lengths of getting one. And even if they do, it’ll only be a small number. Most of the general public seems happy enough to go along with things.
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:44 - Sep 23 with 2878 viewsuefacup81

I was thinking the same earlier.

I was sat outside a coffee shop in Norwich city centre having a catch-up with a friend, and was astounded by the number of young people (sub-25) walking past wearing the sunflower lanyards who, outwardly, seemed the utter picture of good health.

Given that a large proportion of them seemed to be young ladies slathered in makeup, I'm sure one would be forgiven for thinking they were more concerned about messing up their foundation, rather than having a medical exemption.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:45 - Sep 23 with 2870 viewsJ2BLUE

My brother is autistic and has an exemption card* but I do worry someone will start on him** when he's out and about. We're trying to keep him out of shops etc though because he can't wear a mask and we obviously don't want him to get it.

*I think this was just something semi officla ordered off a site to say he's exempt.

**Just to be clear i'm not suggesting you are starting on anyone

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:47 - Sep 23 with 2861 viewsjeera

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:43 - Sep 23 by Sarge

How are you going to get doctors to sign off on mental illness/anxiety/whatever else though? Sure for some it’ll already be diagnosed and they’ll be prescribed some form of treatment but for others it’s not something that a doctor is going to be able or have the time to write a note for.

Doesn’t sound like any of the people in your examples have any health issues, mental or physical, but for me I’ve been in shops both wearing one and then later on with a badge to make it obvious that I have an exemption and both ways it’s an utterly miserable experience. Shopping ffs! shopping now gives me palpitations and sweats and I spent the entire journey there worrying about nothing. I go in, as infrequently as possible now, spend as little time in there as possible and get the hell out. Sometimes I’ve had to wait outside and had my shopping done for me. I’m 26 and previously mentally stable but now...

I don’t think a medical note is necessary. There are free badges on the govt website to download or in my case I had it made into a pin badge and I think people who aren’t genuinely exempt are unlikely to go to the lengths of getting one. And even if they do, it’ll only be a small number. Most of the general public seems happy enough to go along with things.

If you drive bud then click and collect is the way to go.

Sod walking around shops for the hell of it.

I have had to quite a few times, don't get me wrong. But when the choice is there to have someone pick your stuff and pack it for you for £1.50, there is nothing to consider.

If you don't drive then I feel for you as delivery slots are currently being snatched up again. Keep checking regularly if you can cos they get released at some funny times.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:49 - Sep 23 with 2852 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:36 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Three nose operations I’ve had and it’s actually resulted in me still being unable to breathe through my nose (I can a tiny bit). So theoretically the mask Is not good for me. If I wanted to, I’d sort a certificate to say I can’t wear one.

However, the looks I’ve received on the train etc for not wearing one the first time meant it really wasn’t worth the hassle. The amount of people being judgemental means I now just wear one and (when nobody is looking) take deep breaths through my mouth with the mask down every couple of minutes.

I struggle to breathe through my nose sometimes (I think because I broke it as a kid). Not having a pop, but what's wrong with just breathing through your mouth instead? When I'm wearing a mask I mostly breathe through it with my mouth. It's mildly annoying but I haven't dropped dead yet.

I'd love, as per the OP, to know official figures of how many people literally can't wear a mask. I don't think 'It's a bit annoying' is a fair excuse (not saying this is you).

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:51 - Sep 23 with 2840 viewsGeoffSentence

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:41 - Sep 23 by Swansea_Blue

Did you see the piece on Italy today doing the rounds on Twitbob? Masks are a key part of their strategy* and compulsory. I'll see if I can find it again.

*Yes, they have a strategy. Strange concept I know and proves they're not a freedom-loving nation like us.

I have just spent a week in Sicily and they do not seem to be observing it very well. The only place that mask wearing was common place was in the supermarket and even them they mostly did a half arsed job of it with as many people wearing it without covering the nose as wore it properly. In fact I probably saw as many people wearing it on their elbow as on ther face.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:54 - Sep 23 with 2826 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:40 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

Why would I do that?

I don't have a condition which would warrant an exemption, tho as someone who is a permanent wearer of specs I do find them difficult to wear - I haven't yet found a way to stop my specs steaming up as soon as I put masks on, and I think I've tried all the usual suggestions. That makes me a bit of a hazard wandering around not seeing things properly. But I don't go out often enough to make it a massive issue really.

Yeah soz, was more of a lighthearted thing at you as you have complained about unseen health issues in the past. Just joshing, didn't mean to offend.

Specs isn't something I'd considered as I don't wear them, but again it's more of an inconvenience rather than a big issue isn't it? I have a problem with my beard - it causes my mask to ride up into my eyes. But you just deal with it don't you? When it's for a greater good.

My beard also has a weird ridge in it after wearing a mask, which diminishes my stunning good looks.

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:54 - Sep 23 with 2825 viewsJ2BLUE

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:49 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

I struggle to breathe through my nose sometimes (I think because I broke it as a kid). Not having a pop, but what's wrong with just breathing through your mouth instead? When I'm wearing a mask I mostly breathe through it with my mouth. It's mildly annoying but I haven't dropped dead yet.

I'd love, as per the OP, to know official figures of how many people literally can't wear a mask. I don't think 'It's a bit annoying' is a fair excuse (not saying this is you).

It did occur to me earlier that I was standing in the co-op breathing open mouthed when I had my mask on. It's a Chinese rip off of the N95 masks and I look like Donald Duck wearing it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:57 - Sep 23 with 2809 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:42 - Sep 23 by runaround

Perhaps people get out of breath walking up Anerley Hill?!

It's a bloody steep hill! I have admiration for the cyclists who go up it. I did it once on my bike and was coughing like a sea dog in Sainsburys in the Crystal Palace Triangle (before masks) and got some nervous looks.

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:04 - Sep 23 with 2777 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:43 - Sep 23 by Sarge

I'm sorry to hear that, and it must be horrible, but surely the health of the nation is the most important thing. Being "happy enough to go along with things" isn't working.

I think if people make the effort to book an appointment with their GP, MOST of them will be genuine. It's the lazy, feckless people who are the problem. Ban them from entering, simple as that.

I think the badge idea on the govt. website might work. i didn't know that, as I've never seen one. But my point is you should wear a mask or have proof of why you can't. If neither, you aren't allowed in. We need to get strict now, for the benefit of everyone.

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:09 - Sep 23 with 2754 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:49 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Pinch your nose with a peg or something and then put a mask on. I’ll give you 5 minutes before you would want to pull it down for fresh clean air.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:09 - Sep 23 with 2754 viewsrunaround

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:57 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

It's a bloody steep hill! I have admiration for the cyclists who go up it. I did it once on my bike and was coughing like a sea dog in Sainsburys in the Crystal Palace Triangle (before masks) and got some nervous looks.

From there all the way to Streatham Common there are some stonking hills! Many happy childhood memories of getting my dad to drive down them as it felt like we were going to take off!
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:21 - Sep 23 with 2720 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:09 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Pinch your nose with a peg or something and then put a mask on. I’ll give you 5 minutes before you would want to pull it down for fresh clean air.

I'll give it a try Rommers but I don't think it will kill me. Maybe you have a super-thick mask? Mine was handmade by a friend of the missus and is very good. It even has a bit of wire in it to shape it round your nose.

Don't get me wrong, I find masks annoying and sometimes I'm gasping for breath when I leave the shop (particularly after my morning run - after that is the worst time to wear a mask). But I go through it to protect others. Feck my inconvenience, masks literally save lives.

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:41 - Sep 23 with 2690 viewsNewcyBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:04 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

I'm sorry to hear that, and it must be horrible, but surely the health of the nation is the most important thing. Being "happy enough to go along with things" isn't working.

I think if people make the effort to book an appointment with their GP, MOST of them will be genuine. It's the lazy, feckless people who are the problem. Ban them from entering, simple as that.

I think the badge idea on the govt. website might work. i didn't know that, as I've never seen one. But my point is you should wear a mask or have proof of why you can't. If neither, you aren't allowed in. We need to get strict now, for the benefit of everyone.

“It's the lazy, feckless people who are the problem. Ban them from entering, simple as that.”

Jesus Dollers, going full Tory there!

Let’s not start judging people based on what we see. What we don’t see can be something that is damaging to somebody.

If you’ve got your face covered, and you’re keeping distance, washing hands, etc you shouldn’t have any concerns.

I’m more concerned about what I am doing, what my family is being exposed to, and how I can make a difference for that.

If people aren’t wearing masks, I don’t know that they don’t have a reason not to. So I won’t judge.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:03 - Sep 23 with 2628 viewsBrixtonBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 18:41 - Sep 23 by NewcyBlue

“It's the lazy, feckless people who are the problem. Ban them from entering, simple as that.”

Jesus Dollers, going full Tory there!

Let’s not start judging people based on what we see. What we don’t see can be something that is damaging to somebody.

If you’ve got your face covered, and you’re keeping distance, washing hands, etc you shouldn’t have any concerns.

I’m more concerned about what I am doing, what my family is being exposed to, and how I can make a difference for that.

If people aren’t wearing masks, I don’t know that they don’t have a reason not to. So I won’t judge.

You're taking a very hippy view there, and quite offensive calling me Tory.

It's not just about the individual, it's about what's doing best for everyone. If you can't judge the people I've mentioned you're being very naive. It's good for upvotes but not the reality we're dealing with.

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:08 - Sep 23 with 2610 viewsBloomBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 17:40 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

Why would I do that?

Apparently most of the problem with mask and glasses is people have a tendency to only put the mask on just before they enter a shop and that causes the glasses to steam up. If they put the mask on for a few minutes before entering the shop that helps.

On the radio yesterday they also had a 100% guarantee way of fixing glasses steaming up, pull the mask up to the forehead making sure it is also covering the mouth, so basically the whole face and then put the glasses on. That prevents the glasses from steaming up
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:10 - Sep 23 with 2605 viewsNewcyBlue

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:03 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

You're taking a very hippy view there, and quite offensive calling me Tory.

It's not just about the individual, it's about what's doing best for everyone. If you can't judge the people I've mentioned you're being very naive. It's good for upvotes but not the reality we're dealing with.

It’s not a hippy view. It’s an understanding view. Sure, some people will take advantage. People will take advantage of it whatever happens.

Considering the government are constantly sending out mixed messages, Boris saying we are a freedom-loving people, then laying down the law in a televised statement is just encouraging it all.

The GP’s won’t have time to do letters and see patients for a certified mask free certificate.

I didn’t call you a Tory, I merely suggested that your opinion was.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:14 - Sep 23 with 2594 viewsKievthegreat

Why would I do that?

I had to wear them at work, they supplied those white/blue ones like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-3-Layer-Filterability-Sutaible-Sensitive/dp/

They have a metal piece in the top edge which you can shape to your nose. Stopped my glasses fogging up.
How many people genuinely have conditions that mean they can't wear a mask? on 19:40 - Sep 23 with 2537 viewsDebsyAngel

I can't wear one, but do have a lanyard, exemption card for the bus and carry my inhaler with me. I have chronic anxiety, which is not visible to people except you can see the fear in my eyes when I AM out. Sadly the doctors are NOT issuing exemption cards. I would had no problems asking mine for one. On the other hand, I do keep my distance from people, use hand gel when entering a shop, leaving a shop, clean ALL that I have bought and any bags, phone etc. I rarely leave the house, just a walk on my own once a fortnight and to town once a week to get essentials, and any medical appointments (most of which are done over the phone now).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024