Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? 21:47 - Sep 23 with 940 viewsPendejo

Aunt Jemima

Uncle Ben

Indicating something warm and making you feel part of the family

Or the militaristic sounding twin brother of the convicted Rolf Harris

Apparently the two being promoted by black faces are racist but the southern gentleman isn't.

I'd be worried if I was

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:50 - Sep 23 with 917 viewsWacko

The Aunt and Uncle bit are the problem, perpetuating patronising informality towards black people in the south.

Can't see any problem with the images themselves, they're not exactly exaggerated caricatures

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:54 - Sep 23 with 903 viewsPendejo

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:50 - Sep 23 by Wacko

The Aunt and Uncle bit are the problem, perpetuating patronising informality towards black people in the south.

Can't see any problem with the images themselves, they're not exactly exaggerated caricatures

Aunt and uncle are family designations not terms of abuse, in terms of the products the warmth of home cooking.... Surely better than this brand

uberima fides

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:58 - Sep 23 with 891 viewsFtnfwest

No more yorkshire puds then?
Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:59 - Sep 23 with 888 viewsWacko

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:54 - Sep 23 by Pendejo

Aunt and uncle are family designations not terms of abuse, in terms of the products the warmth of home cooking.... Surely better than this brand

No they're not, they were used to replace Mr/Miss in the South for black people.

I assumed you read the same article as I did: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54269358

Comparing to other brands is irrelevant though

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:04 - Sep 23 with 878 viewsPendejo

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:59 - Sep 23 by Wacko

No they're not, they were used to replace Mr/Miss in the South for black people.

I assumed you read the same article as I did: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54269358

Comparing to other brands is irrelevant though

Yes read the article, and partly playing to the Pendejo name.

But sweeping them aside perpetuates the miss-use for slang of what is a warm familial term.

The comparison against Colonel Sandaers was partially 'cos he looks like Rolf Harris, and also because he looks like something from the Confederate States i.e. Slave owners.

Dr Oetker was a bit of fun.... Foot rub, plasters or medicine fine... But cake mix!

uberima fides

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:07 - Sep 23 with 871 viewsPendejo

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 21:58 - Sep 23 by Ftnfwest

No more yorkshire puds then?

No as she's white the term "Aunt" is not deemed to be racist, so the yorkies are safe
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 22:07]

uberima fides

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:23 - Sep 23 with 858 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I know you’re joking but for anyone that may latch onto this sort of argument...there’s a fairly obvious difference in that Levi Roots owns his own company and it’s his branding on his sauces etc. Whereas Uncle Ben is an entirely made up marketing construct which seemingly plays on historical US terms for older black people (which admittedly I didn’t know until today). I can’t comment on the other one as don’t know the brand

It doesn’t strike me as the biggest deal in the world or particularly derogatory but then I’m not black, so I don’t really know. It’s not really a surprise though nor does it really matter - so meh
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 22:24]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:34 - Sep 23 with 828 viewsPendejo

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:23 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I know you’re joking but for anyone that may latch onto this sort of argument...there’s a fairly obvious difference in that Levi Roots owns his own company and it’s his branding on his sauces etc. Whereas Uncle Ben is an entirely made up marketing construct which seemingly plays on historical US terms for older black people (which admittedly I didn’t know until today). I can’t comment on the other one as don’t know the brand

It doesn’t strike me as the biggest deal in the world or particularly derogatory but then I’m not black, so I don’t really know. It’s not really a surprise though nor does it really matter - so meh
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 22:24]

Given Herbie Hancock's "Rock it" had to have a video using robots with the man himself appearing via back ground TV screen

Yet Uncle Ben's is one of the best known brands / logos worldwide.

Also in this country it is not unknown for any old person to be referred to as granddad or grandma whether or not actually related to the person...

Surely the brand is a positive image making progress?

uberima fides

Login to get fewer ads

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:34 - Sep 23 with 826 viewstazdac

Don’t know, but that stick man has a massive head! :o)
Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 22:42 - Sep 23 with 800 viewsPendejo

Isn't Quaker a derogatory term? A phrase used as the preachers from Religious Society of Friends used to quake whilst delivering their sermon?

Hmm more than one reason, but still potentially a derogatory term
https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/subdivisions/quakers_1.sht

uberima fides

Honestly which is the least friendly logo / name? on 08:17 - Sep 24 with 677 viewsGuthrum

Interestingly, Saunders' title is not military at all (since the late 19th century), but an honorific from the State of Kentucky.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024