Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! 12:52 - Sep 24 with 3293 viewskizaitfc

Why would they choose to pay an employee 55% for the employee to work 33% when they could just reduce their hours without this scheme and pay 33%. Assuming an employer has the right to reduce an employees contracted hours (a lot do from my experience).

They could even have the employee working 50% hours and still be economically better off.

Who has come up with this idea and why has it not been challenged in the commons?

What about the businesses that are not open, what is a VAT cut going to do for a closed theatre

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:12 - Sep 24 with 2728 viewshype313

It's modelled on the German Kurzarbait scheme which has been a phenomenal success over there, I know first hand as I work for a German company.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:15 - Sep 24 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is that what the scheme supports? What's stopping employers laying people off and hiring new people on 33% of a full salary to do the same 33% of work? It's save them 22% of the salary budget for the same outcome.

I genuinely don't know how this has been derived and executed. HAs it even been through the Commons?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:16 - Sep 24 with 2711 viewsbraveblue

Typical negative response. Works well in Germany. Backed by TUC and CBI. But let’s slag it off.
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:19 - Sep 24 with 2703 viewsNazemariner

I'm convinced this will lead to mass redundancies and lay offs.

If you are still furloughed then you are unlikely to retain your employment after this latest announcement.
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:21 - Sep 24 with 2688 viewsSouperJim

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:15 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

Is that what the scheme supports? What's stopping employers laying people off and hiring new people on 33% of a full salary to do the same 33% of work? It's save them 22% of the salary budget for the same outcome.

I genuinely don't know how this has been derived and executed. HAs it even been through the Commons?

I presume employment law stops them from doing what you've said, wouldn't they have to offer the existing employee a 2/3 reduction first?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:22 - Sep 24 with 2678 viewshomer_123

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:21 - Sep 24 by SouperJim

I presume employment law stops them from doing what you've said, wouldn't they have to offer the existing employee a 2/3 reduction first?

Yep, it absolutely does.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:23 - Sep 24 with 2670 viewshomer_123

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:19 - Sep 24 by Nazemariner

I'm convinced this will lead to mass redundancies and lay offs.

If you are still furloughed then you are unlikely to retain your employment after this latest announcement.

The current furlough situation is unsustainable (to be honest it was way more than I ever expected this Gov to do). So it was always going to change.

The very, very sad reality is there was always going to be redundancies - with this scheme there will be less than simply turning off the current furlough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:27 - Sep 24 with 2644 viewsNazemariner

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:23 - Sep 24 by homer_123

The current furlough situation is unsustainable (to be honest it was way more than I ever expected this Gov to do). So it was always going to change.

The very, very sad reality is there was always going to be redundancies - with this scheme there will be less than simply turning off the current furlough.

Totally agree!

I thought the government might opt for a more industry specific scheme though. Perhaps one less open to abuse from employers.
Login to get fewer ads

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:32 - Sep 24 with 2624 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, ok thanks. So it potentially opens up reductions in hours but may not trigger a wave of redundancies. It's going to be a turbulent few (many) months for employers and employees alike it seems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:37 - Sep 24 with 2598 viewsStokieBlue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:32 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, ok thanks. So it potentially opens up reductions in hours but may not trigger a wave of redundancies. It's going to be a turbulent few (many) months for employers and employees alike it seems.

Anyone placed on the scheme cannot then be put at risk of redundancy.

"Sunak said businesses will not be able to issue redundancy notices to employees on the Job Support Scheme - and there will be restrictions on capital distributions to shareholders."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:01 - Sep 24 with 2524 viewsgiant_stow

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:37 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

"Sunak said businesses will not be able to issue redundancy notices to employees on the Job Support Scheme - and there will be restrictions on capital distributions to shareholders."

SB

good to read that last bit (and not very tory)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:07 - Sep 24 with 2495 viewsvapour_trail

SB

Assuming it is monthly submission to hmrc for the JSS as is the case with the JRS, then employers will be able to remove employees from the scheme at any point and issue a redundancy notice surely?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:09 - Sep 24 with 2491 viewsStokieBlue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:07 - Sep 24 by vapour_trail

Assuming it is monthly submission to hmrc for the JSS as is the case with the JRS, then employers will be able to remove employees from the scheme at any point and issue a redundancy notice surely?

No idea, I've not looked into it.

I assume there must be some form of cooling period after coming off the scheme before the redundancy protection lapses.

SB

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:13 - Sep 24 with 2473 viewsgordon

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:12 - Sep 24 by hype313

It's modelled on the German Kurzarbait scheme which has been a phenomenal success over there, I know first hand as I work for a German company.

In the kuzarbeit scheme is there a similar requirement that companies make a contribution to help make up the difference between what the employee would normally receive and what they are actually working? I'd thought in Germany it was just a government contribution.
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:16 - Sep 24 with 2467 viewsgordon

SB

This bit is interesting, isn't it? It means that when an employer puts someone onto the scheme, they are committed to then paying them (albeit the reduced rate) over the next 6 months regardless of how bad the business situation gets.
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:16 - Sep 24 with 2462 viewshype313

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:13 - Sep 24 by gordon

In the kuzarbeit scheme is there a similar requirement that companies make a contribution to help make up the difference between what the employee would normally receive and what they are actually working? I'd thought in Germany it was just a government contribution.

Yes, the employer has to make a contribution and the Govt tops it up.

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:18 - Sep 24 with 2458 viewsgordon

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:16 - Sep 24 by hype313

Yes, the employer has to make a contribution and the Govt tops it up.

Ah, do you know what the split is?
This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:23 - Sep 24 with 2430 viewsStokieBlue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:18 - Sep 24 by gordon

This is from memory so might not be totally right but they get:

100% pay for the hours worked (employer funded)
60% pay for the normal hours not worked (government covered)

SB

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:24 - Sep 24 with 2426 viewskizaitfc

So the employee only gets 33% salary?

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:26 - Sep 24 with 2419 viewslowhouseblue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:18 - Sep 24 by gordon

effectively the shortfall is made up 1/3rd gov't. 1/3rd employer, 1/3rd employee (ie less pay)

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:26 - Sep 24 with 2416 viewslowhouseblue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:24 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

So the employee only gets 33% salary?

no in that example they get 77% of full salary

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:28 - Sep 24 with 2406 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:26 - Sep 24 by lowhouseblue

no in that example they get 77% of full salary

No my argument is why would an employer sign up to this scheme and pay 55% for 33% hours work, when they can just pay someone 33% for 33% hours.

This could be done either using contracted reduction to hours or rehiring someone on a different hourly contract

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:29 - Sep 24 with 2403 viewskizaitfc

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 13:12 - Sep 24 by hype313

Is it exactly the same or are there differences?

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:31 - Sep 24 with 2401 viewslowhouseblue

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:28 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

No my argument is why would an employer sign up to this scheme and pay 55% for 33% hours work, when they can just pay someone 33% for 33% hours.

This could be done either using contracted reduction to hours or rehiring someone on a different hourly contract

because they want to keep people on and the scheme is helping them do that. which is why it's supported by the cbi and the tuc.

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:32 - Sep 24 with 2392 viewshype313

This Job Support Scheme Doesnt Work! on 14:29 - Sep 24 by kizaitfc

Is it exactly the same or are there differences?

For example in Germany a worker receives 60 percent of his or her pay for the hours not worked, while receiving full pay for the hours worked. So, a worker would only experience a 10 percent salary loss for a 30 percent reduction in hours.

I need to dig deeper on Rishi's proposal, but by all accounts he has looked to emulate the same scheme.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024